Astoria

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• gilescorey's Profile Photo

Wishing on the stars.

I guess somebody needs to explain the European "star" ranking system... three stars?

Booked the Hotel Astoria for, really, only one reason: I was traveling with a cat - few allow pets. But, still, I thought I was getting a better class of hotel for my money.

Disclaimer: I imagine that I was given the worst room at the inn because of the pet. Cracked floor tiles, a view of a shaft, worn woodwork and a broken mini fridge.

However, beyond this, one of the elevators broke down - twice. The front staff was not uber-friendly and getting the mini-bar repaired was a distinct challenge. At one point, the front desk offered to send up ice until it was replaced. The bar called me in my room and said that it "would be some time" b/c they were too busy to come up, and they would have to charge me for the ice. So, I had to call back to the front desk and tell them this was unacceptable - and gallingly rude.

I extended my stay. Next day, front desk calls to see when I'm "leaving". I told them I had arranged to extend my stay with the prior days desk attendant. None too polite ...again. Oh, and I speak Spanish so I can imagine the fate of those who do not.

And, for five days stay I had a bill over €700. Mid-week prices are a good value, and it is a tony location. Loved the roof deck wading pool and the views from there. If you get a better room than mine and some better service, I could recommend it. But, I'm sure you can do better in Barcelona.

Unique Quality: Well, for one, they allow pets. Few do. Other hotels say they do online, but if you call they say "no".

The Astoria has a rather ritzy location, so for business travelers, it might be attractive in that sense. The hotel also has a lovely roof deck - a wading pool and excellent views.

Directions: Eixample, near Diagonal

• Noisiest Hotel Room - Ever

Possibly THE noisiest hotel I've stayed in, and I've stayed in a few. Maybe I was unlucky with my room, ground floor, between the dining room and housekeeping station, but based on my experience i couldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to relax for a few days.

Apart from early morning breakfasters, and staff outside talking, there was the intermittant sound of water running through pipes, footsteps on the stairs, lights being switched on/off

The staff were fine, friendly helpful. The breakfast fine (I got a reduced rate of 6€. I wouldn't have paid the full rate, 12€).

The Room, apart from being noisy, had no exterior window, a/c which worked when it felt like it, was small and hence sparsly furnished ( I was alone - god help those who have to share).

If Derby Hotels had put a picture of this room on their website, I wouldnt have booked.

• Another Hotel tip

We only stayed in for one night, but I saw no problem with it. We never did make it to the pool, but the bedroom was quite modern, had a nice leather couch, and the mattress was comfy. The bathroom had a bidet, a tub/shower, and was pretty big.

Unique Quality: good neighborhood, pool, modern bedroom & a/c.

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

Cool place, good location

Very cool art deco hotel near the Diagonal. Rooms are nice and big but mine did have a lot of noise from surrounding buildings. Still, a good value near the heart of the city.

Directions: Diagonal stop on the metro.

More about Astoria

No Complaints!

Although the room was small, it was extremely clean and well maintained, which suited our needs perfectly. The hotel was situated in a quiet, somewhat residential area, though close to early morning and late evening cafes for a snack at whatever time you fancied. (Try the patata bravas at Cafe de Paris - the best we had!) Though the staff spoke some English, they were not all that helpful or friendly, but nothing particularly unpleasant either. The location was slightly north of where the 'action' on La Rambla is, but I personally prefer that as it is less touristy and quieter. However, the hotel is still only a 5 minute walk to the metro or a 15 minute walk to La Rambla. The sex shop is nothing to worry about as it looked closed most times we passed by and it's hardly even noticeable. The area was completely safe and wonderfully maintained.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Barcelona - and more importantly, I would highly recommend Barcelona to anyone looking for a city in Spain to visit!

Astoria Hotel - Good choice for stay in Barcelona!

by TripAdvisor Member Duffrocks

My husband and I stayed at the Astoria Hotel for 4 nights. We are accustomed to nice hotels in the US and Europe and really did not have any complaints. I think a key to a good stay is requesting a room on the upper floors with views facing the street. The roof top pool was an added bonus. Extremly safe residential neighborhood. Close to a few Gaudy attractions and a 5 minute walk to the Metro. Under 10 minute walk thru super safe area to Las Ramblas. Metro travel is very easy - great to getting down to the Gothic Quarter and the Harbor. Very helpful, friendly staff as well. Clean room.

Passed the 3Cs Test - Convenient, Clean, Caring

A beautiful little hotel very conveniently located.

Furniture was modern and chic; room and in fact the whole hotel was spotless. Hotel staff had some English and worked hard to be helpful. We didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel and so cannot comment on the food although the dining room and bar were very inviting. There was some renovation in progress on our floor when we checked in but the workers were very considerate; noise/dust were no problem. There was an erotic merchandise shop close by but we didn't feel uncomfortable at all when walking in the area, day or night - no unsavory characters or activities that we could discern. We'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

not bad for this hotel class

I think, given that this hotel is ranked with only one "star" on this site (two stars elsewhere, i've seen), it's not bad. Before reading on, note that we only stayed one night here and were out and about during the day, so this review is based on a short amount of time spent in the hotel.

This hotel is located fairly deep in the Eixample area, which translated into more walking to get to the Barri Gotic or other places. For us, this wasn't a problem, since we particularly enjoyed walking around this less-touristy part of Barcelona.

The staff were overall helpful and spoke a decent amount English. We were politely received upon our arrival at the hotel, which has a lovely marble lobby and a pretty winding staircase.

Unfortunately, we didn't get the street-facing room we had requested, and instead had a room with a view of the unattractive ventilation shaft. The room, which wasn't spacious to begin with, was partitioned oddly with a dresser-TV-desk-clothes cabinet combo, making the room feel even smaller. It was definitely showing signs of wear, as evidenced by the chipping bathroom mirror, cracking bathroom tiles, and sagging sofa. I found it difficult to sleep because the noise of people walking by the room and talking, and also because of the hard, sofa cushion-like pillow (which I tossed away sometime in the middle of the night!). We didn't have breakfast at the hotel the next morning, so unfortunately, we can't comment on that aspect.

During our stay there, it seemed like they were doing some construction in the hallways of the lower floors; hopefully some of the planned renovations involves the rooms too.

Comments