Mallorca 216, Barcelona, Catalonia, 08008, Spain

Booking.com Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• mauro_pd's Profile Photo

I've been in an hotel called...

I've been in an hotel called Balmes, a 3-stars rated very nice but not so cheap: one room for 2 persons for 3 nights = 350 euros (incl. breakfast).

Unique Quality: Nice rooms, nice reception, nice (& small) swimming pool, nice garden, nice neighborhood ... so: NICE !

More about Balmes Hotel

Mediocre at best

by TripAdvisor Member lausannemiss

Just returned from an 11 day trip through Spain with the beautiful city of Barcelona being our first stop. Although we were pleased with the location of the Hotel Balmes, that is about all we were pleased with. We checked in with a small child having requested a triple room and were given a very noisy room both next to the VERY noisy elevator and the front street construction. After some haggling, we were moved to a more quiet room in the back, but I still had to sleep with earplugs in to keep from being woken by the thin walls. The hotel pictures are somewhat deceiving based on the 2 rooms we saw. The rooms are very tired with the builder clearly having taken the cheap route on the modern rehab and it shows. The attached bar is often not open and despite saying it serves food, it seems to depend on how many guests they have. Free coffee service is only provided until 6:30 am and we found the front desk staff to be cold at best. I am certain that Barcelona has MUCH better hotels offerings that have equally as good of a location.

100% Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member sjm14

We spent 3 nights at the Balmes hotel in June and I cannot fault it in any way. It is within easy walking distance of the Ramblas and lots of places to eat and drink. The room and en-suite were exceptionally clean. The air-con was fantastic and the breakfasts were amazing - so much to choose from. All in all I cannot fault anything about this hotel and would without any doubt stay here again.

Honest review of Balmes!

I have just returned from the Balmes Hotel, I chose the hotel for the venue for my hen weekend. The Balmes is a good location, I have stayed on Las Ramblas before and the noise was awful. The hotel is set in a quiet street and easily accessible from the shopping district. A 10 min ride in a taxi will take you to the port and the beach and the Metro station is a 5 min walk. The hotel has a great pool and I would highly recommend you book a hotel with a pool - Barcelona gets very hot and it is perfect for relaxing. The rooms are small - but considering you are in beautiful Barcelona you should spend as little time as possible in your room!! I would say that the weekend staff do not cater for larger groups, the waiter appeared to be taking orders and cooking and serving the food. The staff seemed to discriminate larger groups who take advantage of the fabulous nightlife.... we were not a tacky hen party but we were treated like we were!! The week staff are great - so please do not expect first class service. at the weekend The Balmes is a great place for couples and smaller groups, I would def return with my future husband - great value and good facilities - just be prepared for cold behaviour from the staff if you enjoy a couple of drinks and a little bit of a party!!

Noisy and incredibly bad customer service

by TripAdvisor Member SN1973

It is without a doubt the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. It is impossible to sleep. The staff are incredibly rude and unhelpful. One day I was served a toasted sandwich that was covered in mould! I do not recommend this hotel to anyone - stay clear.

Must do better

by TripAdvisor Member MistaMeldrew

Disappointing. We had stayed at another Derby hotel in Barcelona, the Astoria, and were well impressed. We decided to head for its sister hotel, the Balmes mainly because of its more central position -and what you cannot fault is that. Near enough but not in the middle of everything - a 5 min walk from placa catalunia, just right. Its just not in the same class as the Astoria.
The rooms small but functional.The welcome was not unfriendly, but not friendly - decidedly neutral. In fact, that kind of sums up the Hotel - didn't give much an impression of anything to be honest, just neutral bland and dull. They were ripping out a lift without apology when we were there, which created quite a bit of noise and dust, which didn't much help the ambience. There was quite a bit of street noise, but I actually though it added to the atmosphere.The windows shut most of it out.
They need to up their act, there are too many better hotels to be had.
Didn't find it offensive in any way, but wouldn't rush back.
Didn't eat there - too many eateries to explore.

weekdays are fine

by TripAdvisor Member peringle

I work in a three star hotel in Bournemouth and found this hotel excellent. Breakfast is expensive but excellent. The pool is a godsend before and after sightseeing, free internet, polite staff and clean well serviced rooms. The area is safe after dark with good restaurants nearby. We stayed weekdays so no noise for our groundfloor rooms and no hen parties - just normal multi- national guests.

Would recommend

by TripAdvisor Member Travelpony

Stayed here for a 4 day break. Lovely room, breakfast good, location great - nice and quiet and only a 10 minute walk to Las Ramblas. Located in business area off Avenue Diagonal. Fabulous restaurant nearby - green awning where all the locals eat. Easy walk to meet bus to go to airport. Would stay here again.

directions from airport

by elduffo

Is taking the train from the airport to the Balmes hotel a good idea and if so which one?
Thank you!!

Re: directions from airport

by explore_discover

From Airport to Passeig De Garcia and then interchange to Diagonal which is 2 blocks away from yoru hotel.

Route Map

Your Hotel Location

I hope it will help

Re: directions from airport

by freland

if you manage some stairs , the station of B.Passeig de Gracia is near to the hotel.
THere is one line of railway at the airport so far, so you can't go wrong.
Have a look at BCN part at www.aena.es to see station and terminals 1 and 2 situation.

A :)