Banys Orientals Hotel

Argenteria 37, Barcelona, Catalonia, 08003, Spain

Hotel Banys Orientals
Booking.com Priceline.com Agoda.com

• Barcelona's Best Kept Secret

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 days in May/04 and it was the perfect place to stay! It's located right on the gothic neighbourhood where most of the streets is pedestrian only, and really close to the subway. It's packed with good places to eat, included the Senyor Parellada restaurant downstairs, which has excellent food and great prices and is a good option when you're not in the mood for tapas and want a complete meal. (Make sure to get there early coz the line can get pretty long).

The rooms are not very big, but clean, with very good mattresses. It has a clean contemporary look mixed with old world. The staff is really helpful and friendly. At 89 euros a night, I wouldn't choose anywhere else to stay. It doesn't include breakfast, but there are plenty of caffes around to go to, and they do give you complimentary bottles of water, which can save you money during hot weather.

For bad points, I would say the walls are pretty thin, and you can hear some of the noise from the crowd outside, but it didn't bothered us too much. The bathroom is probably not the best scented one, but again, we're talking about old buildings in the heart of old Barcelona.

They have a pretty good website http://www.hotelbanysorientals.com/

Unique Quality: Great location! Reasonable prices. Great restaurant downstairs and on the main street.

Directions: Barri Gothic/El Born District

More about Banys Orientals Hotel

Nice but noisy

by TripAdvisor Member Drewhuge

OK, so you don't go to Barcelona for the peace & quiet, but nor do you want to be able to hear a mouse cough two rooms away. The bed was nice - it dominated the room but we didn't want to spend too much time in it§ anyway so that wasn't an issue. Bathroom was great, huge shower. However, on the first night our bed was shaking from noise from a nearby club at 4am - and we had a supposedly quiet side room. The side alley also had revving motorbikes very late & very early. We were also woken by our neighbours several times, as the walls are like tissue paper. So, either stay out all night or take earplugs, because while this place is stylish, it's badly constructed. The location, however, is fantastic - near the best church in Barcelona, the santa maria del mar, great Pinxto bars and lots of boutiquey shops.

Great Location, Boutique Hotel, Nice People

by TripAdvisor Member mladao

If you are looking for a great boutique hotel. This is the one. It's very quaint with modern facilities. It's style is minimalist design with comfort. This hotel is located in the Born District and a 5 minute walk or less to great restaurants, sights, and shopping.

The staff was extremely helpful and nice during our stay. The added little bonus was the free water bottles with gas or no gas in the refrigerators

Triple glazing would be a nice idea!

by TripAdvisor Member g12doc

What a great hotel. Great location, great room (better than some 5* rooms I've been in), excellent shower, comfortable beds, friendly and helpful staff - BUT - street noise quite bad until about 1 am - then it just got worse! Someone seemed to have arranged a skateboard competition on our second night and every night at 3am the refuse collectors would trundle up the street collecting waste from all the business premises.

Despite these apparently negative comments we enjoyed our stay immensely - just a shame about the noise

style over substance

by TripAdvisor Member sallysally

Just back from two nights for our wedding anniversary.

good points - helpful staff, arranged late check out for no extra cost, unlimited free mineral water, location - 2 minutes from gothic quarter and in the midst of el born

bad points - noisy even though our room was at the back, tiny rooms, I couldn't dry my hair without hitting the bed frame, beds were two twins next to each other made up as separate beds but in one frame, poor quality towels, once white now grey.

Don't think it deserves listing as one of CN's top European hotels. It wasn't dreadful, just not comfortable and we would not return.

Great hotel!

Just posting a message quickly to say that I stayed at this hotel last year and really liked it - the bedroom and bathroom were fair-sized and very clean, the hotel was quiet, the location was great (near to a Metro station and a few tourist attractions) and the staff were friendly and polite. The free bottles of water were a nice thought too! Obviously it's a basic hotel (in that there aren't any fancy facilities) but as we just wanted a nice place to go back to at the end of the day this hotel was perfect - great value for money! Have recommended it to my friends and it would be my first choice of a place to stay if I ever go to Barcelona again!

Great location, great hotel, great rate

We spent 4 nights at the Banys Orientals and for location, room rates and staff friendliness this hotel cannot be beaten.

The room was a very good size - large double bed (2 singles together) plus a very stylish bathroom. The only downside was the soundproofing - or lack of it - however, this is a common problem in many Barcelona hotels. It certainly didn't detract from our stay.

The free bottled water as a godsend, and a really nice touch, particularly when you conisder what excellent room rates the hotel offers. We didn't bother with the hotel breakfast (based on other comments) and ate out at a nearby cafe/bar each morning for about the same cost as one hotel breakfast.

The location is terrific, slap bang in La Ribera and only a short walk to Barri Gotic and the port. The hotel is surrounded by great restauarants and tapas bars and is also ideally located for using the metro system.

When we go back to Barcelona, we'll certainly stay at the Banys.

Fabulous value

by TripAdvisor Member JuliaW

I stayed at the Banys for one night in one of their newly acquired suites, which are very close to the main hotel itself. As most reviewers say, the rooms are relatively basic but well designed and comfortable. The suites comprise of an added 'upstairs' sitting area. As they were so recently acquired they didn't have a television or radio..........so I just sung to myself!
It is in the most fashionable area of Barcelona, close to the beautiful church of Santa Maria del Mar, surrounded by bars, boutiques and great restaurants, I should know as I own an apartment practically next door!
Will be staying there again in April as am having work done on my apartment.........can't wait, makes a nice home away from second home!
The truism is that my suite gave onto Argenteria and as has been noted by others, it seems to be exceptionally noisy, which surprised me as my apartment doesn't have double glazing and isn't as bad. So I would suggest that if you do want a suite ask for an interior or one in front of Santa Maria del Mar - it will perhaps be less noisy to the one that I stayed in.

Excellence in Barcelona

We were a little unnerved by our guidebook's description of Banys Orientals as a "boutique hotel," but that apparently meant only that it has an understated color scheme--everything in muted tones of gray, cream, white, black--and furnishings that are quietly elegant and functional. The guidebook was right that it is inexpensive given the high quality (however, a friend staying in a single room thought it was overpriced). There's a Metro station 10 yards up the street, and a friendly little place a couple of doors down as an alternative to the lavish and expensive hotel breakfast. The young staff, friendly and informed, speak passable to excellent English. The location is perfect for anyone wanting to experience the center of old-town Barcelona without being in the hubbub of the Ramblas, which are two or three blocks away. The hotel is in a small section abutting the Barri Gotic called La Ribera; it is a pleasing mixture of narrow, winding residential streets and small-scale commerce (boutiques and specialty stores, small groceries, and lots of restaurants and tapas bars). You can walk in five minutes to either of the two magnificent squares on which much of the public life of Barcelona takes place, including the incomparable sardana. The associated restaurant, Senor Parellada, is one of the great (and surprisingly reasonable) Barcelona eating places; it's necessary to book several days in advance. The Picasso Museum is nearby, as is the Textile Museum (which has a terrific little cafe, indoors and outdoors); other major cultural attractions, such as the Liceu Opera and the Palace of Catalan Music, are within easy walking distance.

Comments