Arago 281, Barcelona, 08009, Spain

Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant PauHospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau

Statues on the Passion FacadeStatues on the Passion Facade

closed on Mondaysclosed on Mondays

Mixed SeafoodMixed Seafood

Life & Study in Barcelona!

Hello there,
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the University of Barcelona and its reputation as I am thinking of taking a master programme there (Cognitive Science & Language). Also, is life expensive in Barcelona - accommodation, geleral living and food costs? I am aware that it is no doubt a fun city, but I am trying to work out if I can afford it before taking the leap! Of course, I would gladly take up a part-time job, but I think this may be difficult as I am lacking in Spanish or Catalan... Would be grateful for any advice.
Cheers...

by Miguelzgz

Hello...I am sorry but I think Barcelona is one of the most expensives cities in Spain, or Europe.

If you share an apartment with other students, and you find a flat close to the University you may save lots of money in transportation cost.

Maybe food is not too expensive. There are lots of supermarkets where you can find several diferent brands and prices.

Does the university give classes in English? That sounds interesting to me.

Good luck.

by Lenny26

Thanks Miguelzgz and ilargitxo for the words of advice. I am quite surprised to learn that Barcelona is so expensive like you say. I was sure that it would be cheaper than many other European cities! I had a look at the travel cards that are available for various durations for regular commuters in Barcelona - I must admit that I found them to be quite expensive in comparison to some other places I have been. I wonder if it is possible to buy an annual card? Anyway, thanks for all the info.
Best...

by Bada-Ran

as already mentioned above, Barcelona is not a cheap city. But the main issue in terms of expensiveness is lodging. Don't expect to be able to rent a flat on your own, but on the other side, sharing flat is really a common thing. so let's say that you could find a room in a shared flat for about 450€ month, as an average price.

About all the rest, you could say it is a bit cheaper compared to other european capitals: transport is cheaper, food is cheaper, going out could be a little cheaper also.

by Lenny26

Thanks Bada-Ran. This all seems to make sense. I was really assuming that Barcelona, in relation to other European cities, was slightly cheaper. Although, as ilargitxo mentioned, I think Berlin is one of the cheapest cities I know of in Western Europe - great value and great fun!
Yes, I was thinking of renting with others and noticed a place in Barcelona-Sants - does anyone know what this area is like or how far it is from central Barcelona?
Thanks for all the help.

by Lenny26

Ok, thought Sants was actually closer, but it sounds ok though. I just assumed that it would be too expensive around the central areas like the Gothic Quarter for example. I have a contact in Sants so might use that, but if there are any nice neighbourhoods I would be glad to hear of them so as I can search for availability! Thanks again for all the help and when I have any addresses I will pass them on...
Cheers...

Travel Tips for Barcelona

stroll along the Ramblas (a...

by Christo

stroll along the Ramblas (a very wide sidewalk where everyone hangs out). When we ate at a seafood restaurant right alongside the harbor. We ordered the seafood platter. The food was delicious and cheap, and we had a wide variety of seafood.

BCN meeting point

by DPando

Here it is the most important people to come together in Barcelona...most locals meet here to take beers or go to eat something...if someone talk to you about Zurich or triangle Fnac ..thats the place... just in the corner between Pelai street and Catalonia square

PALAU DE LA MUSICA CATALANA

by Sharrie

Attend a concert at the most beautiful concert hall in the world - The magnificent PALAU DE LA MUSICA CATALANA which regularly hosts some of the world's greatest classical musicians like Jose Carreras & Montserrat Caballe, who incidentally are Barcelonians!

Shop like the locals do!

by goingplaces

On your walk down La Rambla, make sure you stop in the Mercado La Boqueria. This is a food market, and let me tell you, if it was once alive you can find it here. Aside from all form of animal for sale, there is a huge selection of fresh fruits, vegetables, candy, and even a place to buy beer and wine (and sangria!). The locals come here (I'm guessing once a week) to stock up on necessities, and you will see them walking around with shopping baskets or huge bags. It is a madhouse, a huge crush of people, a rainbow or colors, and so much fun. Oh, and for the Americans out there who can't live without a touch of home, that's a Dunkin' Donuts on the corner (left side of picture).

Antique Market

by tini58de about Mercat Gòtic de Antiguitats

What a pleasant surprise it was to find out, that the antique market in the Barri Gòtic still was being held (our guide book was a little old). Nobody really seemed to know about it - especially not where to find the "Placa Nova"... Well, it is more or less behind the Cathedral - and the antique market is absolutely wonderful!!!

It is held every Thursday from 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Comments