Catalonia Rubens Hotel

Cremellera de MonserratCremellera de Monserrat

Great view from Parc GüellGreat view from Parc Güell

font magicafont magica

La PedreraLa Pedrera

Barcelona - Hotel Catalonia Rubens - Feedback?

by salachic

I'm traveling with a school trip in February. We're doing 2nts in Paris, 3nts in the Provence area, then 3nts in Barcelona. We're staying at the Hotel Catalonia Rubens in the Gracia neighborhood. Anyone familiar with the hotel? or the neighborhood? Tips appreciated. We'll be 9 HS kids and 5 adults. We're traveling with a tour group - but we have free time and evenings are on our own!

by virtual786

I think that you could and should choose a hotel in a more central location. This hotel is in a residential area that would be very deserted at night and rather dull at other times.
Try to find a hotel near Plaza Catalunya.

by salachic

As I mentioned before, it is an organized tour for HS students. The tour company booked the hotel. It is probably not where I would stay if I were traveling alone, but this is where they have put us. Changing is not an option. I was looking for information on the area (yes, i'm aware it's residential). I'm not totally opposed to being in a residential area. The students then get to see how real ppl live instead of being ground-zero in the tourist zone. I was just looking for info on cute boutiques? cafes? etc.

Also, are tapas or pinchos common in Barcelona? I spend my summers in the Castilla y Leon region where they are very common.

by Badger1492

I'm not sure where exactly the hotel is, but if you provide an address I could comment on the location. In general, yes, Gracia is a bit away from the center, but that's OK. It is a quick trip on the metro or bus to get to Pl. Catalunya. Gracia is a nice neighborhood and is not "touristy" at all. You will get a better feeling of what living in BCN is really like, although every area is a bit different.

by Badger1492

Actually, I just looked up the Hotel Rubens and remembered it is on the street I used to live on. It is not in the Gracia neighborhood, but is "technically" in the district of Gracia. It is in the Coll-Vallcarca neighborhood. There is not really much of tourist interest in that area, but is very close to the metro, Vallcarca station. Bus #28 takes you right to Pl. Catalunya. You can also enter Parc Guell via the back way. Look up my "Barcelona OTBT" posts on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum and you'll see that some of them start very near that hotel. There are a couple of really old churches in that area that not many people see. Let me know if you want more info.

Travel Tips for Barcelona

Walk through Barcelona...

by glitter

Walk through Barcelona city...don't take a bus. This way, you can lose yourself in the little winding streets with beautiful cobble stone roads, the traditional apartments with their balconies...beautiful. See the architecture of Gaudi...amazing. Like nothing you'll have seen before. He has La sagradia Familia....a huge church with the most intricate designs. A must see. Everything in Barcelona is beautiful. The people, the language, everything!! When in Tarragonna, a little traditional village in Costa Dorada, we sat at a cafe on chairs outside. A group of 20 Italian & French Uni sat with us & for 45 mins we all attempted to communicate even though we couldn't speak each other's language. This was absolutely hilarious & fun!! I'll miss the people in Spain...they are lovely. Especially if you attempt a little Spanish yourself...they go out of their to help. And the men!! Definately miss them!! Yum!!

Visiting Christian Churches

by aliante1981

Christian churches - be they Protestant, Orthodox, or Catholic - are a vital part of Europe’s cultural, artistic, architectural, and religious heritage, and as such you are likely (and I really recommend doing this:)) ) to visit many of them. However, most of them are even today not only major tourist attractions, but also religious sites where people come to pray. This is something to be respected, and here are several pieces of advice I would like to give that might help avoid ill-feeling:

- Dress modestly, covering shoulders and most part of the legs (women in Orthodox churches might be requested to put on something to cover the head);

- Do not speak loudly - all the descriptions are better either read in silence or given outside;

- Try not to walk too much during the service;

- Avoid using flash in your camera near people you see praying;

- Respect notes that forbid entrance to some parts of the church that are designated as ‘for prayer only’.

Following these simple guidelines helped me when I visited, I guess, more than 1000 churches up to date:)))

Tickets via phone

by shawkneesea

What a club! I was so lucky to see them in 2009. They were playing picture perfect football.

1. Buy tickets over the phone after you arrive. Camp Nou holds 98,000 so only the BIGGEST matches sell out.
2. They don't sell beer in Camp Nou. I guess I should have known this.
3. Camp Nou is pretty far from the main city so leave kind of early, but there is very little in the way of entertainment out there, think Comiskey Park not Wrigley Field.
4. BTW, did I mention, they don't sell beer in Camp Nou!?!?

A friend had visited visited...

by Hexepatty

A friend had visited visited Sitges and told me to check it out when I got to Barcelona. Actually, he recommened we stay there, and commute daily to Barcelona. I decided not to do that, but later regretted not spending a FEW nites there. Sitges, in November was wonderfully quiet. I imagine in Summer its an entirely different story. Got there via train in less than an hour!

birds and rabbits and more

by call_me_rhia about rambla dels estudis

Not a shop but a part of the rambla, a pedestrian avenue in the heart of barcelona. In this portion of the ramble there are plenty of stalls selling birds especially, but also rabbits, mice, and every sort of little pets. It's locally known as "rambla dels ocells" and it's in the old town birds and small animals the average price

Comments