Espanya

Hotel Espana
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Rated 10% higher but also costs 106% more than other 2 star hotels

• Hotel Espanya

If you want somewhere centrally located, cheap and friendly then this is the hotel for you. Don't expect too much more though as the rooms are pretty dire. Although clean they aren't particularly nice. To access ours we had to walk along a kind of balcony which felt really unsafe and if you suffer from vertigo I would definitely advise asking for a ground floor room.

We stayed there while going to the Sonar festival and wouldn't recommend the place to being too conducive in getting ride of a hangover - you don't really want to stay in the rooms more than you have to!

However if you are looking for a place just to rest your head rather than enjoying the room then none of that will matter too much to you. The staff are incredibly friendly and the street it is on feels safe. It is seconds from la ramblas and about a 10 minute walk to the port. It is 5 minutes from placa de catalonya where the airport bus stops.

In summary if you are looking for somewhere cheap, central and not of a particularly high standard then this place will do you however if you are looking for luxury I would advise heading elsewhere.

Unique Quality: Traditionally designd restaurant

Directions: La rambals

• grayfo's Profile Photo

Hotel Espanya

Hotel location excellent, room basic but comfortable.

email hotelespanya@hotelespanya.com

September 2005

Unique Quality: 80 rooms, en suite, telephone, tv and air conditioning.

Directions: In the heart of Barcelona next to The Rambla.

More about Espanya

2. Typical room in Hotel Espana
3. View of Religious Ceremony from balcony of our room at Hotel Espana
4. Fountain near Hotel Espana in Guadalajara
5. Library in Guadalajara [not far from hotel]

The day before we left Spain after a month+ stay, we decided to stay close to the Madrid airport so it would be a very short drive the next morning. We chose the Hotel Espana in Guadalajara. It was a wise choice.

It is a one star Hotel, so we did not expect much, but were we surprised.

First of all, the location is ideal. It is across from a church and convent, down the street from the main plaza and Post Office.

The room is small because the bed is a king and practically fills the room. Good TV, wonderful bathroom, and great service.

It was immaculate and comfortable and quiet. What more could you want on the night before you leave? A good night's sleep, indeed! It just happened to be a pre-Easter ceremony day, and we had "ring-side seats" on our small balcony...the parade started at the church/convent across the street.

Not your grandma's turkey and dressing, but....

by LBKesner about Hotel Espana

Designed in 1902 by Domench i Montaner, the hotel's restaurant features ceramic tiles by modernist painter Ramon Casas and a floral motif--very early 1900s. We spent Thanksgiving here with other teachers who lead EF tours for students, and enjoyed a fabulous turkey, pureed squash and mashed potatoes, a delicious salad, ice cream with raspberry sauce, and (at last) apple pie.

Central but very noisy

by TripAdvisor Member milliebell

The hotel Espana looks glorious when you walk in. The murals in the dining rooms and reception are historic, and the tiled floors and sweeping staircases give it a grand look. The reception is spacious and comfortable with seating areas. However, once you head upstairs it changes. My room was had two single beds. The room was very basic but reasonable. The attached private bathroom was lovely, with bright lighting, tiling and a combined bath and shower, and lots of shelving space. The corridors and landings upstairs were faded and definitely in need of an uplift. The staff were formal but friendly. Some spoke English. I forgot to bring my travel alarm clock. I asked for a wake up call twice and didn't get it on either morning. Breakfast is continental and fairly poor quality.

The really big problem here is large groups of schoolkids. There was a very large group of teenagers staying. Throughout most of the nights, they banged on each others room doors, slammed doors, shouted and ran riot in the corridors. Other group members tried speaking to their teachers and complaining to reception staff, but nothing was done.

The hotel is very centrally located, only a few minutes from the Ramblas and many Barcelona attractions and the best shopping are only a short walk away. The Metro is also very close by. I recommend this hotel for students, young people, school groups and couples, but not for anyone wanting a quiet space from the noise and bustle of Barcelona.

Great location

We stayed at this hotel 27th to 30th April 2005 and I was quite apprehensive about staying there after reading other people's reviews, but when we arrived we were really surprised. The hotel had a lovely reception area and restaurant. The room we stayed in was very basic, but it was very clean and had a lovely size bathroom. We found the staff at the hotel very friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is excellent, we couldn't of picked a better spot and the "alleyway" to the hotel is not that bad at all. I was expecting something a lot worse. The "alleyway/street" is always busy with people walking up and down it at all times so its nothing to worry about at all. I would definately recommend this hotel, so long as you were prepared for a basic room. We would definately go back there again!!

Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rubyslipperjo

Stayed here two nights 3rd May, loved this hotel, really traditional, spotlessly clean and the reception staff are the friendliest I have come across, ok the room was tiny but we were only there 48hrs, the bathroom was great quality, didn't samplethe food though so can't comment on that but the other visitors seemed to appreciate it.
The hotel is in a great situation very convenient for all attractions, don't go to Barcelona for a relaxing holiday though there are too many sights to see, must reccommend the open top buses to see everything in the city excellent value for money,
would definetly recommend this hotel for a short break, you can't go wrong!!

Didn't love it

We stayed at this hotel May 17th-19th and probably wouldn't stay again. Although it was generally clean, affordable and in a convenient location, there certainly were some negatives. When we arrived (in the evening) the hotel staff spoke about 3 words of English, but with my broken Spanish and his 3 words we managed to get checked in. My husband and I were a little surprised when we opened the door and found 3 twin (single) beds in the room. Although we've been married ten years now, we do still prefer to sleep in the same bed. The room had a terrible odor which we discovered was coming up from the plumbing, so if you leave the room at anytime we found it helpful to make sure that all the drains are plugged up, this reduced the foul smells significantly. We have done a lot of traveling and have stayed in alot of hotel rooms, but this hotel must have the thinnest walls ever known! We could litterally hear EVERYTHING going on in the room next to us and above us. People brushing their teeth, full conversations, I mean EVERYTHING. It was like you were in the same room. So all that being said, yes, we got a great room rate, the location is very convenient, but next time we'd pay a bit more and stay someplace else.

Pleasantly Surprised

We have just got back from fantastic Barcelona. We where all extremley surprised at this very reasonably priced Hotel. Was not expecting anything special for the price, though reviews had been fairly good. The 2 rooms me and friends had where spotlessley clean (119 & 120 ) I thought they where more than adequate, Air Conditioning, Shower & Bath, t.v. Safe, Hairdryer and clean and very comfortable beds. The maid came every day and cleaned very well and changed towels. We heard very little noise only from people coming in at night and it wasn't anything significant, we heard nothing from the rooms next door or from above and I usually wake if there is any noise. I don't know what other reviewers mean about thin walls or floors? The Hotel Staff where friendly though I agree some spoke very little English but you'll find that in many places in Barcelona, there was usally 2 staff on and one who spoke English so wasn't usually a problem. The Location could not of been better just 2 minutes walk from The Rambles and the nearest Metro, 10 minute walk from the sea and harbour and 10 minutes from Placa de Catalunya where you'll find Bus Turistic (the brilliant Tour Bus) and the main shopping streets go off from here. Overall I would definetley go back to Hotel Espanya and reccomend it to anyone, do not be put off.

wonderful espana

by eidde

"barcelona"

if you love shopping you will love barcelona its brill and the people are great

"torremolinos"

just wow for chilling out great place to people watch

The Hotel Espana....The Hotel Espana....

Statue at entrance of Hotel EspanaStatue at entrance of Hotel Espana

Typical room in Hotel EspanaTypical room in Hotel Espana

Barcelona... which are to stay?

by Harmony_here

Hello All,

I am planning a trip to Barcelona with a friend in late March/April.

We are not sure which area to stay Colon, Catalunya or Cathedral? I understand they are very close but any suggestions as whether to opt for one over the other?

by Maurizioago

Barcelona has a good metro system. so I think it doesn't matter much where your hotel is located. When I was in Barcelona I stayed at some hotel in the Eixample area. This is quite far from the city center.

by grayfo

I can recommend the Hotel Espana, it's about 50 metres from the heart of The Rambla and next to the Metro (see my tips for more info), best of luck and have a great time.

by Elisabcn

Yes, these areas are very closed and there are not big differences. Colon is by the sea and Cathedral means narrow streets (except if you take an hotel at the cathedral square, of course). You can go from one area to the other by foot

cheers,
elisa

by Belsaita

"Colon, Catalunya or Cathedral?"

Yes all 3 are very close but if I had to choose between these 3 I would choose Catalunya

Pl. Catalunya is the very city center and the main hub of the public transport system. Besides, from there you can walk to the other 2, but you will be as well very close to the "must sees" of Passeig de Gràcia (La Pedrera, Mançana de la Discórdia, etc). The narrow streets around the cathedral may not be everybody's taste, and the sea end of Las Ramblas (so, Colon) may be a bit rough at night

by Zoliver

Hi Harmony,

When I was there I stayed at the Hotel Jazz (rather pricey but I liked it). The location was absolutely perfect, and there was a major subway stop less than one minute away which took me to most of the major areas in Barcelona.

by Maurizioago

You can't post any commercial on VT.

by Maurizioago

They have deleted the commercial.

by Harmony_here

Thanks for all your replies. I've opted for Hotel Jazz over Hotel Colon as I cannot find anything else which doesn't seem to have bad reviews.

If anyone else has any good suggestions please feel free to contact me. As i think i'd like to stay very close to Plaza Catalunya in a hotel or guest house which is quiet (no traffic noise), clean and safe as we are female travellers.

Thanks everyone !