Gran Derby

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Barcelona

La sagrada familia, BarcelonaLa sagrada familia, Barcelona

La Caixa De FangLa Caixa De Fang

watching the beach on a windy daywatching the beach on a windy day

Looking up the Nativity Façade (June 08)Looking up the Nativity Façade (June 08)

Looking for a great restaurant in Barcelona

by Evieloves2travel

Hi All, I know there must be lots of great restaurants in Barcelona but we are only there for 2 nights staying at the Barcelo Raval. I looking for food that has so much flavour that you savour each mouthful because it is so delicious. The restaurant can be basic as I don;t like pretentious upmarket places. Just well cooked Spanish food in a place with great atmosphere. Of course i want all this at an affordable price .. lol!!!
Take care.

by tango_jd

I have this on my Barcelona page but there are so many tips in here you will be spoilt for choice! However...here is my recommendaton:
We were here way back in 2004 but it is still getting good reviews:
Txikiteo
Carrer de Josep Anselm Clavé, 7
08002 Barcelona, España
Its just near the bottom of the Ramblas near Columbus's column.
As well as Tapas, they do lovely, hearty Catalan food.
Up the top and back around inside gets you to the seated restaurant part of it.

by hmoitta

We loved Siete Puertas restaurant on Sunday lunch, great spanish food

by dRgonZo279

I'd say if you want a restaurant where you savour every mouthful then go to Pla. It's probably 1 of the best restaurants i've ever been to and definitely the best place by FAR that i ate in in barcelona. It's a bit pricey but if you just get a beer or a glass of wine rather than a bottle and avoid desert then it shouldnt add up to much. I'd highly recommend it! It's in Carrer de Bellafila which is in the Barri Gotic near Placa Sant Juame.

Also, I found Senyor Parellada to be pretty good too. It's on Carrer de L'Argenteria round the corner from Via Laietana. It served up some pretty tasty Spanish food!

by oxymoron

Hi
The hotel you are staying in is on Calle del Carme (I think) so the retaurant (more like bistro) is on the same street. It is vegetarian (don't let that put you off though). The food is to savour, and the wines are VERY good. Reasonable prices/good ambience. Not a pretentious place so if you want upmarket/posh, it's not for you.
Give it a try!

by Evieloves2travel

Sorry for late reply. Been a bit manic lately, will certainly need that mini break to Barcelona!!! Thanks for your reply, had a look on your page and 7 Portes looks fantastic. Have copied to page with list of restaurants etc I have compiled from kind people such as your self. Thanks again Pedro.

Kind Regards

by Evieloves2travel

I would also like to thank John, Heloisa, dRgonZo279 (Muppet fan??) and Mary for their great recommendations. I have added to my list and my mouth is watering already. We are only there 2 nights and I know I will have to return.

John, I have been to the website of Txikiteo and it looks amazing, great decor, looks like it will have a great atmosphere too.

dRgonZo279, will have a look at Pla if we are near, thanks, sounds perfect.

Mary, my friend and I are both happy carnivores and need a fix everyday but thank you. I will have a look anyway as its near the hotel. I always say "never say never"!!!

Kind Regards

by Evieloves2travel

Just to let you all know we didn't get to Barcelona because of the air traffic controllers strike on the 29th Sept .... sob sob!!!

We got a full refund from Easyjet with no hassle at all and very quickly. So well done them. Ryanair can learn a thing or two or ... three hundred!! So we have rebooked for 2 Nov. Fingers crossed we will get there.

Take care.

Travel Tips for Barcelona

How to use a Barcelona pay phone

by dlandt

In case, like me, you have to call someone to make arrangements for you room, you might need to use a pay phone, as most shops and restaurants won't let you use one. This is a simple process. You buy a phone card at any local shop. I tried to get two machines to take coins and, although they accepted, they did not allow me to make the call. The card goes into the slot on a payphone face up, with the arrow facing in. Don't dial +34, just dial the numbers following. Do NOT remove the card fromt he slot until you are done, otherwise it will terminate the call.

Magic fountain

by tompt

The Magic Fountain was designed by the engineer Carles Buïgas. In summer the fountain stages spectacular displays of music, light and water.
The magic fountain is located in front of the Palau Nacional. Take the subway to Pl. d´ Espanya
Thu-Sun and day before public holidays: Musical performances every 30 minutes from 21.30 to 23.30h.

TAPAS

by Umea6

... is something like snacks. It helps you get through waiting time until lunch or dinner is served.
I read that tapas was actually "invented" or born when some spanish king needed to eat small pieces of food and sips of wine when he was ill. After he recovered he declared that all restaurants cant serve wine without food to its customers.

There are so many different ways to prepare tapas, different regions in spain offer different tapas. Usually they include some sort of cured meat, olives, ....

Visiting a Benedictine Abbey

by Christina1881

I went to Montserrat knowing only very little of the place, a mountain outside of Barcelona with an abbey... So naive as I sometime am I expected something like "the Sound of Music" with nuns/monks all over the place, but truth is that what I saw most of was tourists ;)
Besides this little stupid misunderstanding of my own, I must say that I really enjoyed the visit to Montserrat - I went together with my bf and his two children (7&9years old) - and apart from me always being "yet another tourist" with my camara taking pics of everything and nothing, I enjoyed walking around the place sensing how life must have been there years ago, when there were less tourists and when you at this place actually dedicated your life to Christ (with this said I should probably mention that at the moment the abbey still runs and there are about 80 monks living there).
The Basilica is very beautiful, and is somewhere between the Gothic and Renaissance traditions, and contains a little room where you can bring a picture or some other thing, to offer to the virgin so that she will protect you / your family or whom every you may pray for. It is said that she can cure people - especially with prosthesis' of any kind - so my boyfriend told us, that earlier you could easily find a prosthesis in this room from people whom had visited the virgin and e.g. could leave without need of their prosthesis. Personally I didn't see any, but I did see a lot of wedding-dresses as well as pictures of people who had obviously asked the virgin to protect them or help them through a rough period in their lives.
There is a lot of history and culture to learn while there, and some increidible views to check out. On the webpage below several hiking trips are suggested to visitors, and all though I didn't do any of them - YET - I very much hope to be able to go back and enjoy a hike there, because the place is so beautiful.
While we were there, there was an exposition of veteran cars.

Another Catalan Village Near Pyrennes Mountains

by atufft

There are hundreds of medieval stone villages perched on rock ridgetops and nestled into valleys. They can be discoverd by narrow but well paved roads into the foothills of the Pyrennes Mountains. At one village, we asked a woman if we could look inside the church, so she fetched the keys and opened the door. Inside was a beautiful altar.

Comments