Ctra Vallvidrera al Tibidabo 83-89, Barcelona, Catalonia, 08035, Spain

Agoda.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 30% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• johnaalex's Profile Photo

A very well designed hotel and great city views

We have now stayed twice at this hotel and it is confirmed as one of the best designed hotels we have stayed in. The rooms are modern and comfortable, the multi head showers and plasma screens show that care has been taking in making the rooms as nice as possible. The heated swimming pool is available all year round as half is indoors and the other half is out doors. The outdoors pool is great to relax in and the terrace with sun beds all give great views of the city.
    The staff are very helpful and a good source of tips for local restaurants, things to do etc.
    The only gripe we had on our latest trip is that the breakfast service was very poor. One morning it took over half an hour for an omelette. On another day my fried eggs took 15 minutes and were cold when they were served. Also the hot buffet items (bacon, sausage, potatoes etc) were tepid at best. The staff did listen to my complaints, we did not pay for the meals and I do think they will rectify this. I hope so as we intend to return for another very relaxing weekend.

Unique Quality: The views over Barcelona.

• Deluxe Chill

We stayed at this stylish urban/resort as they called it the last day of our trip thourgh spain as we had some cash left and were tired of bed and breakfasts, looking for some luxury to celebrate the last night in style.
    It wasnt cheap as its a 5star hotel, but the location is absolutely amazing, there is this infinity stainless/steel pool with superb views over all the city and see. Very nice food and nice service. Its actually a super romantic place and we just recommend it 100%.

Unique Quality: the location, on top of barcelona. breathtaking views, very very nice.......

Directions: On tibidabo hill, next to the illuminated church you see from almost everywhere in bcn.

More about Gran Hotel La Florida

Amazing service! Amazing hotel!

My husband and I just got back and we must say that we could not have been more pleased with the hotel and its service. Unfortunately, the airline lost all of our luggage but the hotel staff bent over backwards to make our time in Barcelona easy and utterly enjoyable nonetheless. In fact, our best meal in Barcelona was at the hotel's restaurant L'Orangerie. If you like small rooms and busy streets, stay in town. If you are looking for romance and world-class relaxation, stay at Gran Hotel La Florida.

Overrated, Overpriced

For a hotel rated as 5* gran lux, I was expecting something truly outstanding from this hotel. Sadly, It let us down in a number of areas:

* The beautful pool area is situated next to a road and not far from an amusement park, so your relaxation is constantly interrupted by traffic noise and distant screaming.

* For a five star hotel, I noticed an astonishing number of maintenance oversights: cracked (and frankly dangerous) floor tiles, scratches and dirty marks on the walls of my room and various other problems.

* The hotel is in the middle of nowhere - there's nothing around except the amusement park. Don't be fooled by the "minibus service" - it runs only 4 times a day and not at all in the evening. So you'll be stuck using the outrageously expensive bar and restaurant. 7 Euros for a glass of draft beer. 15 for a perfectly ordinary club sandwich. The restaurant charges michelin star prices without quality to match. Call me cynical, but I suspect the minibus not running in the evening is a ploy to keep you captive to their overpriced facilities.

The view is awesome, but you'd be better off just taking the funicular railway up and taking a walk round than staying up here. Stick to the town instead - there's plenty of better hotels and you get to choose whatever bars and restaurants you want.

Hotel is Stunning But What Service?

by TripAdvisor Member livefully

The hotel is a stunning property. The rooms are expansive and comfortable. The shower was absolutely amazing. The views are spectacular and this is a good hotel if you are looking for some quiet.

The service, on the other hand, is non-existent. Some of the staff try very hard while others totally ignore you. We were not allowed to order a salad from the pool menu at the main restaurant, even though they had no salads on their menu and it was 90 degrees. The table next to us at the restaurant was allowed to order from the pool menu. It was very confusing. Getting a simple sandwich at the pool had 1-2 hour wait.

We could not get a table at the restauarant for two on Sat. night and were told we can sit and order from the pool menu (which is next to the restauarant). So we opted for room service, which was not any better. While we waited for over an hour for our food, they called us after 30-minutes if they can get the table? Anyhow, I have lots more stories like this. The hotel is gorgeous but it needs to have someone in charge who knows how to run a hotel.

Awful Servie

Really nice setting...but the service is so awful that its impossible to enjoy your stay. Service in the restaurant and pool bar is awful. The service in the spa is non-existent...and the overall reaction from management when we complained about the problems was complacent.
I emailed the owners of the hotel (The Stein Group) upon my return and got no response...

Literally on top of the Hill!

Almost by coincidence we booked a room at La Florida for just one night. We traveled with our two small girls (2 and 3) and got a wonderful, large room from which we could see all of Barcelona and the sea. Nice!
When we arrived in our room, there were wonderful, new wooden cots with very nice linens prepared for our daughters. Complete with Teddy bears, and nice, new mobiles with little furry animals over the cots. We like to stay in nice hotels, but this was the most inviting cots we have ever seen for our kids!
We (and the kids) loved the indoor/outdoor stainless steel pool and pool area. It's not the place where you let the kids loose though (no shallow pool or stuff like that), but we weren't planning to do that anyway.
Our experience with the staff was 100% pleasant, professional and friendly. We had drinks and food by the pool, dinner in our room and ate a very nice breakfast at the outdoor restaurant. The bath and showers in our room was an inspiration (as we plan to redo our bath at home...). Probably the nicest we've seen.
This is not the place you want to stay if you're planning to go to and from the hotel and the sights in Barcelona, it's too far away from the city center. (Rent a car if you're planning to travel to and from the hotel a lot!) But for us it was as a perfect, relaxing and luxurios stop during our two week-long stay in Barcelona and the Costa Brava, and we'd love to make it part of our plans on our next visit.

Spectacular hotel, disappointing service

by TripAdvisor Member Anne7579

My husband and I booked this hotel as the start of our honeymoon. After getting quite lost trying to find the route to the hotel, we finally arrived at the hotel whose architecture and design are nothing short of breathtaking.

The lobby was inviting, decorated with comfortable sofas and bright flowers. The gentleman who checked us in walked us around the hotel, showing us the restaurant, pool, and the sculpture pieces, it was nice to have an inviting welcome. Our room was amazing - corner view of the mountains and the eastern side of the city with huge, two-story windows that went nearly from floor to ceiling - while lying in bed we could see the lights of the city twinkling at night. I also would love to steal this hotel's decor for my own home - beautiful stone sinks and steam shower, beautiful bed linens, huge plasma tv....

The pool was great - very chic, and most definitely not a place for kids. The panorama set before you is breathtaking and a great way to spend a relaxing afternoon. I ordered drinks which were fairly reasonably priced (for a 5* hotel). Other reviews complained of noise from the hotel's surroundings - the amusement park was closed the week of our visit, so I can't say how loud that was, but I never noticed any noise from traffic coming up the mountain.

Our complaints came from the service. I tried to get recommendations for restaurants IN Barcelona for my birthday dinner - we didn't want to eat at the overpriced hotel restaurant plus we wanted to see the city - but the concierge sent us to this awful tourist-overrun place called Shoko - don't go there. After an awful dinner, we returned to the hotel and when I questioned the desk manager about checking out the next day, he told us we were booked for another night! I told him there must be a misunderstanding, I had told the clerk upon arrival we were staying 2 nights instead of 3, but the desk person was adamant and told us we would be charged for another night if we decided to leave. I was so infuriated!!! Even if it were a misunderstanding, he should have given me the benefit of the doubt! Apparently customer service is a new concept here. I left the lobby in tears, my birthday completely ruined, and went back to our room. The desk manager came to our door 10 minutes later with a curt apology, he had found the notice of our earlier departure in another file. I'm sorry, but that just didn't do it for me. If he wouldn't have found that paper, we would have had to foot the bill for another 300 euros!!!!

We'd love to come back, but the staff needs some serious help.

A haven on the hill

by TripAdvisor Member wondhols

My husband and I spent our honeymoon here and it was wonderful. Beautifully located on Mt Tibidabo with great views of Barcelona. The team were great. I'd describe the service as discreet but warm and friendly. Loved the spa and the restaurant served glorious food. Not cheap though so take plenty of cash. Will definitley return.

A Truly Spectacular Hotel!

I was initially hesitant to book Gran Hotel Florida because it's so far away from the city. It is admittedly not the best place to stay if you want to spend every day in the city, but is well worth a day or two taken out of a hectic tourist itinerary for a bit of relaxation.

The rooms are spectacular! I cannot think of one thing I would change. Our room had high ceilings and enormous floor-to-ceiling windows, and although it was one of the least expensive rooms, it was on a corner and had a panoramic view of the city. Overly generous in terms of space, the room included a good sized hallway and two separate his and hers closets. The decor was tasteful and elegant... creams and neutral tones without being the least bit generic (and I am on the picky side about that sort of thing). The floors were hardwood. The bed was comfy. What's more, the room seemed as though it had just been given a fresh coat of paint and a thorough cleaning. It was impeccable!

My favorite aspect was the bathroom. To begin with, it was spotless. It was a huge, luxurious space that I actually felt comfortable in. Most hotel bathrooms, even pretty nice ones, can make you feel kind of icky. The bathroom, completely done in travertine, offered a separate tub and shower, two sinks, tons of open shelving, a makeup mirror, towel warmer, bathrobes, plenty of plush towels, and an enclosed toilet area. The shower was phenomenal. It was so big you could have fit 5 people in there. The dual showerhead and high water pressure were heaven. And there was no drain to clog and leave you standing in a pool of water, because the shower uses a system that allows the water to run off the outside edges of the shower to a hidden drain below the floor.

Check-in/checkout was an intimate, personal experience. The concierge was able to efficiently help us secure tickets to a show at the last-minute.

The only disappointment was the spa. The treatment room for the massage had a clinical feel to it and the masseuse was sub-par. Perhaps I'm used to American spas, which focus mostly on pampering guests.

Highly recommend this hotel!

Barcelona Hotels

by clemens300

Okay, so I decided to splurge and booked 4 nights at the Hotel Majestic and 2 nights at Gran Hotel la Florida. The Majestic seems like a wonderful hotel but I'm curious about the area and how easy it is to get around from there. As for the Gran Hotel la Florida, I'm sure it will be just wonderful (and hopefully worth the price) but any comments about either hotel would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Barcelona Hotels

by Franja

The Majestic is placed in the most interesting tourist area of Barcelona in my opinion. From the Majestic you can walk to Las Ramblas, Plaza de Catalunya, Passeig de Gracia, Barrio Gótico,... the most popular places in Barcelona. I recommend you to enjoy the Majestic's breakfast buffet. It is great!

La Florida is in the top of Tibidabo. This hotel is new (by the way, the owner is an American businessman) and one of the most luxury hotels in Barcelona. Do not forget to have an extra budget for cabs. But perhaps you will not need to leave the hotel these two days!

Enjoy Barcelona