4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• spocklogic's Profile Photo

Convenient Quarters in Barcelona

This is a high rise hotel located at Avda. Roma, 2-4, 50 meters from the main train station (Sants Station). It is within walking distance of the city center (~ 30 min), but the train station is right there outside the hotel too. The location is convenient I thought, and the train station area is not ugly or massively bustling either. This hotel could use a decorator, but the marble floors in the lobby and rooms are fantastic - smooth and cool underfoot. The rooms are sparsely decorated and not too stylishly (a bit out of date), but it's clean and the staff is cordial. On the upper floor rooms there are expansive views of the city. Situated on the 23rd floor, Restaurant Visual offers exceptional Mediterranean cuisine with 360° views of Barcelona. The panorama is great to dine by and the food superb. It was not overly expensive I thought for the view and quality of food and service. I can recommend this hotel for convenient location and great restaurant, but don't expect much style in the rooms. I had a suite on an upper floor and it was comfortable for me at a decent price for the size and views. I had no problems with my visit there.

Unique Quality: Wonderful 360° views of barcelona from the Visual restaurant on the 23rd floor

Directions: Near the main train station (Sants Station)

• swiftfoot's Profile Photo

Good concierge service/ close to Metro

100 meters to Sants Estacio Metro.

Good, friendly concierge service. Clean, spacious rooms.
    Free wifi access at the lobby.

Downside: Few restaurants within 200 meter radius. We arrived at the hotel at 11 pm and went out for a late dinner just before midnight and found only one bar open.

Over all, good value for Euro 99 (excluding breakfast).

• MaheshSamtani's Profile Photo

A Fantastic hotel

The success of a trip, for me, mainly depends on the quality of the hotel that I stay in, when I travel. I try to take no chances by choosing to stay in hotels that belong to renown chains and companies. The Torre Cataluña hotel, belongs to the Expo Hotel group, which is not very big in size but well consolidated in time in certain cities, which include my home town, Valencia, The Canary Islands, and also in Barcelona.
    This hotel is very well situated, just outside the Sants railway stations making it very easy to connect with any place by metro or local train.
    The hotel is very comfortable, the service is great, the atmosphere is modern and sophisticated. I did not get a chance to try to food. They have a restaurant on the 23rd floor which permits a very good view over the city at any time of the day, they have a Spa if you have some time to spare and definetly a place to recommend.

Unique Quality: The restaurant on the 23rd Floor & the Spa.

Directions: Just in fron of the Sants railway stations and about a 100 meters away from Plaza de España.

• nyunita's Profile Photo

Close to Barcelona Sants

Nice hotel. The most important thing is very close to Barcelona Sants. I think it's only 100 M.

Unique Quality: great views

Directions: Go straight when you reach Barcelona Sants. From there you can see its tall building.

• Azhut's Profile Photo

Confort and beauty

The Grand Hotel Torre Catalunya is situated in front of the Expo Hotel so it is close to the Sants Stacio.
    It is one of the hotels that compose the Expo's chain. Maybe this hotel is the most luxurios and confortable in this area, but to tell you the truth, the Expo is so close and it costs a little bit less than better to chose the Expo instead .

More about Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya

Fantastic!

This is a fantastic deal. The hotel is brand new, and the rooms are crisp and clean with marble floors and STUNNING state-of-the-art bathrooms. The restaurant on the roof has great, great food and priceless views of the city. The service is impeccable.

When you stay here, you will be right next to the main train station (Estacio Sants) which will take you to the airport (15 minutes) or into central Barcelona (5 minutes). The trains are VERY easy to navigate and use. The hotels in Barcelona central that are the same price range as Torre Catalunya are mostly old, non-renovated, small hotels -- you will be paying for the convenience of being central, but nothing else. We have stayed in other hotels in Barcelona (central), so we have a real basis for comparison.
Torre Catalunya is by far our favorite.

The gym and spa at Torre Catalunya are good (treadmill, elliptical, bike, a few free weights, two universal machines), but the pool is relatively small. There is a nice steam room - the entire spa facilities are coated in marble and there are servants available to help you at all times. The spa and gym are very clean and modern too. The business center is fantastic - so you can easily check your email from the building (not expensive - I think it was 1 or 2 euros per hour, or something nominal like that).

I will only stay at this hotel whenever I travel to Barcelona. It is really A+.

Great experience!

by TripAdvisor Member Viikke

We visited Barcelona in May 2005 and spend 4 nights in Torre Catalunya. Hotel was very clean and modern, service was excellent, staff friendly and views from 18th floor hotel room spectacular over the the city. Nice breakfast was served in the 23rd floor of the hotel and it gave a good start for the day. There are gym, sauna and a swimming pool as well as beauty saloon downstairs. It was very easy to get around the city with the subway (10 tickets 6,30 euros) and the station next to the hotel was clean and safe. All in all, perfect hotel for the weekend getaway!

Great hotel!

My wife and I stayed at the Torre Catalunya for one night post cruise in May. We paid $145 including breakfast, and got the room at alpharooms. We had a room on the 14th floor with a great view of Montjuic. Breakfast was OK, not great, but is served on the 23rd floor with magnificent panoramic views. The rooms are large, with wonderful TVs and stereos in the room. There is a speaker in the bathroom so you can listen while showering or washing up. The bathrobes and slippers are great too. This used to be an office building and was recently converted into a hotel.

The staff was friendly and accommodating.

The hotel is right across the street from the Sants Station which is a 20 minute train ride from the airport. A taxi to the airport will run you about 25 Euros.

Great Value! Great Location!

My boyfriend and I have just returned from 4 days in Barcelona, staying at the Torre Catalunya.
The location of the hotel is great. Just catch the train at Barcelona airport and in 15 minutes you arrive at Sants station. The hotel is only 50 mtrs across from the station and only 2 miles from the famous Las Ramblas.You can also catch the metro from just across from the hotel to anywhere in the city. It's really easy to navigate and is really good value for money.
The hotel itself is fabulous. Very modern and very clean. Our room was on the 8th floor and had everything you would expect in a 4-star hotel.
We had a lovely meal in the hotel restaurant which is on the 23rd (top) floor and has magnificent panoramic views of the city. The only disappointment was the breakfast. Not great value for money. A better bet is to have a continental breakfast delivered to your room. mmmmlovely!
We got a really good deal through Hotels and would definetly return to this hotel in the future :)

Nice hotel

We had a great time staying at the Torre Catalunya over Easter and would recommend it to anyone who wants a good 4* hotel in Barcelona. The breakfast room on the top floor was spectacular and there was a good selection of food.

We arrived at midnight after another hilarious flight on easyJet and were put on the third floor. Nice room actually with a very artistic illuminated frosted glass panel in front of the shower. However the traffic noise was loud so we asked to be moved. No problem and they put us on the 9th floor. Big rooms for a hotel and, again, the bathroom was good - this time it was the toilet and bidet behind the frosted glass.

Another highlight is the spa area. Nice steam room, two saunas, a stand-up jet thing that feels like you are in a car wash and a gym with good equipment that I don't think has ever been used. Pool small but hey. Nice robes, slippers, towels etc that you would normally expect in a 5*.

The only slight downside was when we asked for a kettle to sterilise the baby stuff. Jordi on reception said that our room wasn't entitled to a kettle and would not give us one!

The hotel is in a square that skaterboys use with Sants train and underground station right next to it. Train to airport is 17 minutes and costs 2 euros. Taxi on arrival was 25 euros and takes the same amount of time. There is a supermarket in the same complex.

Everyone but everyone warned us about the Ramblas. I walked down it one day, gripping my wallet and camera strap for dear life, watching all the street entertainers. Suddenly a tap on the shoulder and I presumed I was going to get robbed. Actually it was a women who had been running after me as I had dropped the camera case. Perhaps not everyone on the Ramblas is a thief.

We were going to go on the tourist bus around town but it was 17 euros each. So we just took the bus and tube and ten journeys cost 6 euros on a card.

The Expo hotel is right behind the Catalunya and doesn't look as nice. There are not a lot of restaurants in that part of the city and the hotel restuarant looks expensive.

Enjoy Barcelona and the Torre Catalunya is a safe bet if you want to make sure you get a 4* hotel for the money.

Excellent for a last minute deal.

by TripAdvisor Member AGarner-Scott

We stayed for 4 nights in April and really enjoyed our stay. There were a few minor niggles but they did not spoil our time there.

Our room, on the 16th floor was large, clean and had everything we needed, although we did find that the airconditioning was pretty ineffectual. The other thing that we did find was missing was basic information about the hotel (check out times etc) and the area. There was also no mention of fire escapes anywhere.

Breakfasts were good and varied, and the 23rd floor restaurant where it is served has fantastic views. However, it does get very busy and they often ran out of some items, and getting coffee could be a long process.

The hotel is not in the nicest area, but it felt safe, and was very handy to get to from the airport, and with the Metro virtually on the doorstep it was very easy to get to anywhere else in the city.

One last point, don't ask the hotel for a recommendation for somewhere to eat. We were sent to a place (Restaurant Orotava) that was expensive and very ordinary in its cooking. We had far better meals elsewhere in nicer restaurants for half the price.

Even though we have highlighted the problems, we would certainly go back, and would be happy to recommend the hotel to others.

What a restaurant!

Whilst the hotel rooms are a matter of individual taste - very modern, a little impersonal, exterior noise despite double glazing and earplugs - the restaurant is definitely a matter of good taste - superb! This is a four star hotel with a five star restaurant. So don't drag yourselves to the old town to eat; stay and treat yourself to elegantly presented, gourmet food in the panoramic, top floor restaurant. Difficult to better anywhere in Barcelona.

by Pennyraver

Hi,
I've just booked to stay at this hotel at New Year. Can anyone tell me if i have made a good choice? Also is this a good lovation for retaurants, bars and nightlife??

Thanks!

RE: Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya

by colincox

This hotel gets great reviews- just enter the name on the web and you will see Tripadvisor comments, but I, personally, would not want to stay in that area. The life is all miles away (Born; Barceloneta; etc.) and ,while transport is good, I prefer to stroll to bars, restaurants, etc.
It will be interesting to see what others think.
Colin

RE: Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya

by catalunya07

It's a good hotel, but not in the centre.

Don't worry though - it is right next to Sants Station, so the metro is 10/15 minutes into town. Getting back - expect to pay 6-8€ for a taxi if the metro has closed.

RE: RE: Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya

by distance1323

Yes, from what I have heard this place is great. True that is is a little out of the way, but the Metro system is good and taxi's are plentyful. You can easily walk to Montjuic, grab a cheap eat around Placa Espana, and quickly and cheaply get into the 'hot spots'. Grab a T-10 for the metro as you will use it quite a bit through your stay.
Enjoy it and you will have a great stay in BCN i am sure.

Comments