Granvia

Costs 44% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Granvia

Exactly what we wanted

by TripAdvisor Member Bluepoppy49

Not having been to Europe before, we didn't know what to expect as far as hotels were concerned. I had checked through travel books and found this one mentioned quite frequently. It didn't get rave reviews, but there were a lot of positive things about it, so decided on that information and also reviews from tripadvisor that it might just work for us. I had requested, when booking it over the internet, that we would like two beds and also a room at the back of the building. We arrrived later in the evening, so didn't think that we would get what we had requested, but we did. It turned out to be very quiet - didn't need the ear plugs that we had taken. The beds were comfortable and the linens fresh and clean. The room was small, but very clean and well cared for, with hard wood floors, marble bathroom (with hairdryer), lots of cupboard space and air conditioning that could be adjusted. It was in an excellent location, close to La Rambles and Plaza Catalunya. The staff were quite pleasant and helpful when needed. We didn't eat in the buffet, but the dining room looked lovely, as did the salon and the terrace. We were taking a cruise from Barcelona, which didn't leave until later in the day, but they kept our luggage for us after the checkout time, and called a taxi for us when we were ready to leave. We loved Barcelona and would like to return again one day and we would definitely stay at Hotel Granvia again.

Above Average Hotel, Great Location!

by TripAdvisor Member Phamer

I stayed here 2 nights with my wife and 3 year old son before our Mediterranean cruise and would rate the hotel as "above average". My breakdown of the hotel:

Location: terrific, right near Las Ramblas. We even were able to walk to Sagrada Familia and back.

Rooms: quaint. My biggest complaint is that the beds are soooo tiny! We originally booked 2 beds, but it would be too cramped for my wife and I to share a bed, so we changed to 3-bed room. The charge for the extra bed was more than I expected. They would not accomodate us with a "rollaway" bed for our son, forcing us to get the expensive room. The bellhop does not know any English, so it was hard to understand him when trying to figure out the bed situation.

Common Rooms: A little worn, but overall, pretty nice. I felt like I was staying in Europe - I was not expecting nor desiring a typical American hotel.

Cost: Okay for 2 beds, expensive for 3 beds.

Breakfast: Not worth the money, nor very good. Eat out!

By the way, the cruise was awesome!

Great place

The Gran Via in Barcelona is a great oasis. Upon confirming my reservation, I asked for a quiet room. They were very happy to accomodate me, and, I received a quiet room. The room is nothing special, but it has a separate bathroom, a good mattress, and a tv. The hotel is only a few blocks from the Placa Catalunya, right across the street from the Metro, walking distance to the Gothic Quarter and La Ramblas. What is nice about this place is that there is free internet (2 computers) in a very large and grand room with chandiliers. There is also a very large roofed area with tables and chairs. The room was priced at 70 euros a night (I had to check the interenet for a better price than the one offered by the hotel). The only drawback was being charged 1 euro for everytime I picked up the phone. While there are other hostals in Barcelona that are cheaper, I would definitely recommend this hotel due to its price, location, and charm.

Good hotel in great location

The location of this hotel is excellent - within walking distance of the Ramblas and many restaurants and bars. The hotel is comfortable, and posesses great character. Our room at the back overlooking the terrace was quite small, but functional, and although you could hear noise from other rooms, there was no outside noise at all. Reasonably priced, and very comfortable, our only complaint was one rude staff member who was there when we checked in (all other staff were friendly and helpful). Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member cinanina

This hotel is ideally located. It's quiet, right in front of a subway station and in the center of Barcelona. My room was very big. It can be a little tacky while wanting to be in grand style, but is really OK specially when considering the price. I'd go back. We never had breakfast here.

fantastic location

I agree that the location is fantastic. The hotel itself is not very modern or impressive looking inside in the public areas, and neither are the rooms. My room (a single) was quite small. It was a good price and very convenient and quiet. I did not eat the breakfast or have any negative interraction with the staff.

Starting a reno

by TripAdvisor Member cootes_paradise

The hotel was in process of a reno in summer of 2003. It was good in terms of location...can't beat it...the room was very dowdy. The bathroom was more updated than the room. Hopefully they've continued the reno. Everything was clean.

Great location, rooms okay

by TripAdvisor Member Buda36

We just got back from a 2 night stay at the Gran Via. As the other reviewers noted, the location is simply fantastic. 30 seconds to the metro (a major metro intersection), and a very short walk to the Ramblas and Barri Gotic. If I could I would give the hotel 3 1/2 stars but because of the rooms I have rounded down. A word of warning, do not take one of the interior rooms overlooking the covered courtyard (rm. 212 is one of them) The walls were paper thin and our when our neighbors talked (at 2am) it sounded like we were in the same room. (earplugs were useless). Also all of the noises from the reception area echo up and into the room. We asked to be moved and the staff were quite friendly and immediately moved us to another room at the back of the hotel which was fine. The rooms were clean, but small. Also the breakfast is not recommended. The quality is not worth the 10 euros, and there are many places nearby. The first floor has a lovely sitting area and there is a fantastic roof terrace that must be great for summer evenings.

Good location

Without a doubt the Hotel is in a good position,easy walking distance to Las Ramblas Barric Gothic etc and we had some good nights in the local bars and restuarants Recommend "Bobbys Free" Dont do the breakfast not worth 10 euros-we did cos we are lazy and couldnt be bothered to go out!!
We had a room at the front on the 1st floor and the noise from the road was bad, we arent normally bothered by noise but this hotel was the worst we have been in. Our friends had a room on the front on the 3rd floor and didnt have the same problems. The dining room and lounge are really impressive, we would have liked the hotel to have a bar for a nightcap or an early drink. We had no problem with the staff who were friendly. At the end of the day the price is right.

Excellent Location, minor faults

I had a fantastic 3 night stay in March at the Gran Via. The hotel is in a great location with all the major attractions easy to access whether walking or using the metro opposite the hotel. We stayed in room 102 which is on the front of the hotel so may not be suitable if you are a light sleeper as noise from traffic was noticable.
Some restaurant recommendations. We ate at the Citrus Restaurantus, 44 Passeig de Gracia which offered amazing food, a short walk from the hotel. The Taxapela, 8-10 Passeig de Gracia offers an easy way to enjoy tapas if your Spanish isn't up to scratch. simply point at the pictures or sit at the bar where around 50 different dishes lie. Finally, Mussol on Caspe was fantastic value and offered traditional Catalan food in an unusual setting. certainly worth the visit.

What's the most romantic part of Barcelona to stay in?

by Fionnan

My girlfriend and I have booked a flight to Barcelona for four nights at the end of November. Not having a clue about the city I'm wondering what part of it we should look for a hotel in. Could anybody help us here? Thanks (the name of an A1 romantic hotel would also be excellent)

Fionnán

PS: This is a wild shot, but would anybody know if we could get a hot air balloon ride over Barcelona? I know she'd love that.

RE: What's the most romantic part of Barcelona to stay in?

by worldinabag

Hi

I loved the Barri Gotic area, the old town. B&B 7 Balconies - http://www.7balconies.com is nice.

Hotel Granvia - This looks beautiful and is sure to impress that special lady. Rates are a good deal for what you get - http://www.nnhotels.es/Eng/GranVia/

Central Hostal - Coming in a lot cheaper but still with a romantic feel - http://www.hostalcentralbarcelona.com.

Happy romancing!

RE: RE: What's the most romantic part of Barcelona to stay in?

by olgaprat

This a difficult question to answer because it depends on your personal preferences. First you should choice between Eixample or Old Town.
Eixample is the district designed by Cerda which is all structured in square blocks of buildings. I think it is nice and you can find good hotels in the district, specially near "Passeig de Gràcia" or "Rambla Catalunya". The one recommended by another collegue, "Claris" is nice and expensive (4 or 5 *), there are many others now is very fashioned the "Hotel OMM"(www.hotelomm.es). On the upper part of the district there is a new hotel in a famous modernist building completely renovated and I think it can be also very nice , (very expensive also 5 * www.hotelescenter.es/casafuster).
Old town is small streets, more dark but i thin it has much more charm. The problem is that you should choose very well the place because there very nice places but also very bad places. I recommend you the area called "La Ribera" (around Santa Maria del Mar church), there is a small hotel there that can be nice and not that expensive (3* hotelbanysorientals.com) and my special recommendation is Hotel Neri, very close to the cathedral in a quiet place and very, very charming (www.hotelneri.com), expensive, 4*). Another completely different option is going to Hotel Florida (5*) at the Tibidabo Mountain with a perfect view of Barcelona.
- I think there are no ballons flying on Barcelona. I have never seen that and I think it is forbidden, maybe you could find an helicopter trip.

RE: RE: What's the most romantic part of Barcelona to stay in?

by worldinabag

Your dog is very welcome in this forum! Its doggy dos aren't. Please remind it to take a plastic bag with it on its wanderings. And please inform it that licking the screen is not appropriate behaviour in an internet cafe. This is reserved for students only.

Comments