Gravina 12, (Formerly H10 Gravina), Barcelona, Catalonia, 08001, Spain

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Breakfast on Sunday

I have not stayed here - we were staying across the street. But on Sunday morning this was the easiest place to get breakfast.

• elise_crash's Profile Photo

Hotel Gravina

This is a nice little hotel on a quiet little street not far from Las Ramblas (the main strip). It is located between Diagonal and Placa Catalunya near the center of the city. The hotel is clean, nice looking, and provides a comfortable atmosphere. The staff is extremely friendly and always willing to offer assistance (and a map)! The bathrooms are quite large and filled with amenities such as a bathrobe, hairdryer, etc. The rooms come with a TV and adjustable music on the headboard of the bed. Breakfast is included, but make sure you wake up in time, because they will take the food out from under your hand (literally) from the buffet, if it is not already on your plate, the MINUTE it is time. But, if you make it in time, it is a pretty good setup. This is a nice little hotel, but is probably not for the average backpacker, due to the price. The rooms are usually between US$120 - US$175, depending on when you go and what type of room you want.

Unique Quality: It is in a great location and offers a wonderful atmosphere!

Directions: Airport: Prat (12 Km.)
    UNDERGROUND RAILWAY STATIONS: Universitat (L1) and Catalunya (L1, L3)
    TRAIN STATION: Catalunya

More about Grupotel Gravina

Not bad but could be better, even at 3 stars

by TripAdvisor Member ckwald

The bathrooms are the most luxurious part of their accommodations -- really quite nice, but the room itself was fairly spartan. It did have a little sitting area, with two chairs and a table, but the beds were rock hard (you want to ease down on them gently, lest you break a body part). The air conditioning was non-operative during our very warm stay in early-mid May (the screenless window opened, however), the TV remote control did not work, although there was an attempt to repair it, and a spare blanket taken out of its plastic wrap in the closet smelled so musty that it needed to be replaced -- and was, with one that smelled somewhat less musty.
On the positive side, the front desk and housekeeping staff were extremely nice and helpful, the public areas and the rooms were immaculate, the buffet breakfast included in the reasonable room price was excellent and the location of the hotel was convenient, if not particularly appealing.

Excellent hotel

We liked everything about the Gravina from the very smart entrance and lobby to the staff who were extremely polite, helpful and friendly. Our room faced the street (third floor) but was still quiet and had a small balcony for those with a head for heights. The room itself was immaculate, modern and very appealing, as was the en-suite bathroom. Lots of storage space and very comfortable. The buffet breakfast was the best bit!! Endless choice, no limit as to how much you had and all very good quality. The breakfast waiting staff were helpful and very polite. All in all an excellent experience, we would definately book the Gravina again.

Hotel from middle earth, if you are the size of a Hobbit you may like this hotel. Being over six feet tall and not one bit like a Hobbit my feet hung over the end of the barely 1 ¾ size bed, also the stunning views of the constantly buzzing extractor pipe from the kitchens made this hotel one of the pokiest holes we have ever had the misfortune to stay in. There is however an upside to this tale, we checked out of the Gravina after the first night (there were no bigger rooms), and booked into The Grand Marina Hotel on the water front, this is a 5 star GL hotel that surprisingly only cost another 20-30% more than the pokey smelly Gravina, where’s the justice in that hey. After this disappointing start we managed to have a pleasant stay in what is a very beautiful city. Having complained to Expedia we managed to get the money back representing the cost of the accommodation we didn’t use, I hope this posting can stop the same thing happening to anyone else.

Excellent Staff, Thin Walls

The Hotel H10 Gravina is nicely located on a fairly quiet side street not too far from Las Ramblas. The staff is friendly and very attentive. The breakfast consisted of a buffet of great variety, including fruit. The only drawback to this hotel is that the walls are quite thin--if you don't like hearing what's going on in the next room (guests coming home late, doors slamming, etc.) you may find your sleep disturbed. We were not greatly bothered by it.

Recommended

We enjoyed our stay in the Gravina very much. It has a great location and extremely pleasant and helpful staff. The rooms weren't the largest (although we've seen much, much smaller) but they were very clean and well-appointed. We chose the Gravina because of the reviews on this site and we weren't disappointed.

very good accomodation

by TripAdvisor Member Amy368

i went to barcelona in october 2003 and decided to stay in the gravina due to the comments and reviews on this site and were not dissapointed. rooms were clean, staff were very helpful. the location was excellent, just in the middle of everything really!! the windows were soundproofed, so you couldnt hear the outside traffic which was good. the only downfall was the breakfast, it was more of a continental breakfast, with cheeses and salami. there was cereals and fruit though. i would definately go back there in the future.

Idael centrally located hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MarkSpurs

I travelled with a party to this hotel weekend of Aug 13th 2004.

Service was polite and attentive and my party was greated with a complimentary glass of cava for each of the guests.

Rooms all clean and modern (some smaller than others but none uncomfortable) and some with Balcony's.

Ideal location for investigating the city of Barcelona.

I travel frequently on international business and have paid far more for far less at other so called international hotels. I would return without hesitation to this great value hotel (90euro per night for a twin room).

Embarkation

by grandmaR

"29 March 2008"

Back to the 'rest of the story'. On the 29th, we went to bed after we got back to the hotel, or at least my grandson got into his pajamas and played with his video game. The TV in the hotel has a sports channel which seems to have the narrative in German even though the players may be speaking English. He has been watching some kind of billiards match and trying to figure out the rules.

My grandson had asked what dock the ship would be at, and I didn't know for sure, but I found google.earth and we could see some of the port on it - we spent some time looking at it because someone said that there was an inner and an outer port and only the smaller ships could get under the bridge.

I wrote up the trip and did some downloading of email and edited some photos, but decided that I'd better try to get some sleep. I looked at the computer time and it said 3 am., and I was horrified, but I think the computer automatically changed to daylight savings.

I was really freaked about not having the NCL form filled out for taking a minor on their ship - I had a notarized authorization for me to travel with him from his parents (which no one during the entire trip ever asked for), but this was a specific NCL form which I found when I couldn't print out his embarkation documents. So I had a hard time getting to sleep, and was playing scenes over and over in my mind where I was sitting at the desk crying and they were not going to let him board.

I know - too much imagination.

"Breakfast 30 March 2008"

We woke up about 9 and packed. When we were done, we went down to see about breakfast, but there is no food in the hotel after 4 pm Saturday. The coffee shop is a smoking area, and the doors are open, but no one is there to serve food. So we walked across the street to the hotel Gravina for breakfast.

My grandson said he usually didn't have anything but toast for breakfast, so I ordered toast and butter, he had OJ and I had apple juice and tea. I thought the tea would calm my stomach a bit. I paid with a credit card, a total of 11.6€s which was more expensive than yesterday but not a big bill. Incidentally I left my cane at breakfast and the female security guard at the Gravois hotel brought it across to me.

As I was getting ready to leave to check out, I found a list on the table of when the various restaurants were open which I am sure was not there before because it was on top of a map that was a duplicate of another one that I was leaving there, and there was nothing on top of that map when we left to get breakfast.

I asked the receptionist to call me a cab for 11:30, and we brought our luggage down to check out. They gave us the bill in €s or pesetas, and I asked why. The receptionist said the €s came in after the billing software was in place for pesetas. She said she could do €s in her head but just for small amounts - larger amounts she had to use pesatas.

The cab came and already had 5 €s on the meter. I asked, but he didn't really give me much idea - I have a feeling it was a call charge. I asked the receptionist what the numbers beside the taxi sign meant (1 or 2) and she said (which my grandson had noticed) that 2 was more expensive and was for at night. The cab from the airport had a 2 on it. Didn't ask about what the "P" was for that he also saw.

The cab took us down some narrow streets that looked like they were just for pedestrians.

Anyway, we found the ship (it was visible from the shore - I could see the NCL on the smokestack and there was also a dark hulled ship behind it) and gave our bags to the porters, and walked in to the terminal at just about noon. There was a station outside for people to put their room numbers on their luggage if they didn't have baggage tags, but we didn't need that of course.

The lady that was steering us to the various stations asked if I wanted a wheelchair, and after a few seconds I agreed that I did. They took us right to the head of the line and checked us in - didn't even ask for any authorization of any kind. All my fears in vain. While we were waiting for the computer system to operate, I talked to the wheel chair pusher person who was ships personnel. He was anxious to get to some of the ports for the first time where he had never been.

He wheeled me onto the ship (we did get our photo taken by the photographer which Bob and I do not usually do), and to the room, although the signs said that the rooms weren't ready quite yet. It is a HUGE room, because it is a handicapped/wheelchair accessible room.

There were two beds, each with a little bedside table, a dresser with a stool (but no drawers) a closet which had a hanging rod which could be pulled down to wheelchair height, and also shelves, shelves next to the closet, couch which could make into another bed, a table with three chairs, and a TV stand which had the TV on top and also three drawers, the mini-bar and the safe in the base. The bathroom, in addition to the sit-down shower had a mirror that could be tilted for a wheelchair person, but not much in the way of shelf space. My grandson had to put his toilet kit out on one of the shelves.

We went up and I signed him into the teen club about 1 pm, and he stopped there and played one of the video games. I also bought him a 20 drink teen card for $30.00 and I made a reservation for the Taco Bar/Tex Mex restaurant for about 6:30.

We had a late lunch in the Grand Pacific restaurant on the stern which was called the Summer Palace on the Pearl. We watched them wash the windows while we ate. I had chilled banana soup and an American club sandwich, and my grandson had BBQ Pork Ribs, which he said were good. They came with what they called ranch fries, and he said those were good too. We both had ice cream for dessert - I had mine with caramel sauce.

After that my grandson said he wanted to shoot some hoops, and I wanted to take some pictures, so we went up on the top deck. We heard barking and I thought maybe it was a seal, so we went to the side and looked down. It was a big black shepard, that was tied up. He was barking at the other dogs which someone commented were drug sniffing dogs.

He fooled around with the basketball and also the soccer ball for a bit while I walked around and took pictures. I also signed in at the internet cafe.

They had the boat drill in the various restaurants and not out on deck like they did on Grandeur of the Seas and the NCL Crown. We were at a table with someone who had flown in that day, and the guy kept going to sleep. We met the people with the 14 yo girl there - she's from the Gainesville area, but her grandmother said she was a Seminole fan.

We had dinner at the Tex-mex place and they seated us, but didn't wait on us very quickly. My other grandson saw this picture and asked me "Grandma what did you do to him?" But I hadn't done anything.

My grandson had ribs again. I had the cheese quesadillas, and the black bean soup (which I swear had meat in it kind of like pulled pork and was way too spicy for me to eat), and a roadhouse beef burrito.

We left the dock at about 7:15, and I told my grandson he could go watch. Then I got up and left too without waiting for dessert. The ship went forward to the turning basin and then spun around and went out of the harbor forwards. I sat out on the deck (which was pretty cold) until about 8:15 and took photos.

I emailed the family right after we got on the ship, and since then have found a couple of glitches about email. We are supposed to have a LAN cable availability in the stateroom. But apparently this particular stateroom does not have this ability at the moment, and the people on the ship do not know how to fix it. They said it would have to be done from corporate and we'd have to wait until Monday for that. In the meantime, I can sometimes get a wireless connection here in the stateroom for long enough to receive email, but it is dropped quite readily, and then I can't sign off. Oh well. By Monday late, the LAN connection was fixed.

When I got back to the cabin and wanted to go to bed, I couldn't find my nightgown, so when the cabin steward came to deliver the Freestyle for today [I don't know how it is spelled, but his name is pronounced Why Me] found it where it had gone down under the bed.

I edited my grandson's pictures for a little while (he has some really good ones), and then couldn't stay awake anymore and he was already asleep.

"31 March 2008 - a day at Sea"

I woke up about 2 and the ship was bouncing around, so I hunted around and looked at the bow cam, but of course couldn't see anything. So I left the bow cam on and turned off the bathroom light and went back to sleep. Two things we are missing - a night light (but that's minor - we can always leave a bathroom light or something on and in this room the glow of the thermostat is enough for me to see where the bathroom is) and my grandson doesn't have a watch.

I woke up again this morning at about 9:15 and realized that I wasn't going to be able to get to breakfast in the main dining room unless I left right away. My grandson had said he didn't think he'd get up for breakfast and he was still sleeping. I decided I wasn't really hungry so started to write an email. Then I discovered that the Cruise Critics meeting was at 10:30 and it was already 10:20, so I shut the computer down and threw on a dress and went to it.

When I came back, my grandson was still asleep, so I waited until about noon and then woke him. I got a shower and so did he. The controls in the shower are - the red side (right) controls the temperature and the green side controls the water flow. It isn't that you have to adjust how much cold to how much hot. Which is good.

I went to lunch, and my grandson went out too and I had him set the room notice to make up the cabin, but by the time I got back it wasn't made up yet. They came to do it while we were there. I took my grandson up to the internet cafe and showed him how to sign on so he could send an email, because his mother asked if he would send her an email. But it turned out that he did not do it.

I went to lunch by myself and sat with another couple in the aft dining room. I had pineapple-vanilla bean soup which was good, meatloaf which was way too spicy, and I couldn't eat much of it, and then pear galette (cooking light-292 calories) with cranberries and raisins (it was a kind of pie) for dessert.

My grandson told me that one of the elevators was not working, and he was correct. I saw someone on top of the elevator in the shaft, and then while the door was open, the workman called the guy vacuuming the floor to come block the shaft so no one would fall down. They all seem to be fine now.

Tonight is dress up night. We dressed nicely (and I did see them turn away a very fat man in shorts and sandals), and went up and had dinner on lobster night in the main dining room. They said they would seat us for sharing but put us at a table for 2. Service was very slow. The lobster was not written on the main menu but was an insert, and my menu didn't have one.

We both had the lobster. My grandson does not order soup or anything before dinner, so he eats the whole bread basket full of bread while he is waiting for me to finish my soup, which in this case was chilled carrot and Orange soup, which was VERY orange, but good. The lobster came with broccoli, green mashed potatoes, tomatoes and asparagus. He let me eat his asparagus. He said the potatoes tasted funny. They gave us a little sauce boat of melted butter for the lobster, but I think they were a trifle overcooked and mushy as they were EXTREMELY difficult to remove from their shells.

My grandson said he wasn't allowed to have lobster at home. (!) His parents later disputed that - he wasn't allowed to order something that expensive but he could have it when his dad cooked them at home. (His dad free dives for them during the mini season.) I had creme brulee which had a chocolate pudding bottom, and he had vanilla ice cream as usual.

Tomorrow we arrive in Civitavecchia which is the port for Rome

H10 Group Hotels

by Bomy

Hola!

I would like to ask your opinion on H10 Group Hotels.
Which of these hotel is good in location?

Hotel Catalunya Plaza
Hotel Gravina
Hotel Itaca
Hotel marina Barcelona
Hotel Montcada
Hotel Raco Del Pi
Hotel Universitat

I have in mind Hotel Universitat and Catalunya plaza.
And also, what is the percentage of Tax charges in Hotels?

Re: H10 Group Hotels

by Silvia_bcn

You are right. Hotel Universitat and Catalunya Plaza are thebest good situated.
and about the percentage of the tax in hotels, it's the 7%.
hope that can help you.

Re: H10 Group Hotels

by Petit_Prince

Hi there,

I know where are located Catalunya Plaza, Gravina and Universitat. All are very centric, but the best location is Catalunya Plaza, no doubt.

If Montcada is in Carrer Montcada, it's a very good location as well). I confirm that the VAT rate for hotels is 7%.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Re: Re: H10 Group Hotels

by Belsaita

Agree with previous about best locations!

H10 is a good chain of business-oriented hotels, modern and clean, good quality/price ratio, and generally they include an excellent breakfast. Here in Barcelona I only have direct references about the H10 Marina as it is close to my office and some colleagues and costumers have been there, as far I know all them were delighted (but its location is not so good from a tourist point of view). I have been to a couple of H10 in other cities and I would not mind to return either.

Re: Re: H10 Group Hotels

by Bomy

Hi All,

Thanks alot!

I'm now very sure that I will make a good choice.
Cheers to VT!