C/ Lafont 8-10, Barcelona, 08004, Spain
Booking.com Agoda.com Priceline.com

More about Barcelona

Sectacular interior of the lobby areaSectacular interior of the lobby area

Overview of the roman ruinsOverview of the roman ruins

Palau de la GeneralitatPalau de la Generalitat

Casa Miquel Ibarz - EntranceCasa Miquel Ibarz - Entrance

ramblas/raval

by cjamesgo

could someone tell me if this is a safe area for day and nights--if not what area is safe days and nights walks--thanks james

by Belsaita

the lower part of Las Ramblas and Raval (the closer to the sea) may be quite dodgy at night

The rest of the city is safe as far you remember you're in a big city and a very touristy one. Don't make their 'job' easy to pickpockets, these are the only real danger, but you usually don't notice they 'got' you until is too late.

For touristy purposes, I'd would look for accomodation anywhere near Pl. de Catalunya (the very city center), Pl. Universitat, Pl. Urquinaona, anywhere in central Eixample. Many tourists love Gotic and Born too, but these are a maze or narrow streets, some may feel not so comfortable there

You may have a look at my tips about 'Areas of Barcelona':
(sorry for the shameless plug! ;))

by cjamesgo

by Mozumbus

I found La Ramblas safe for walking when we walked all along from La Rambla to Gaudi's big towers at 2 am but then we were 5 guys of 26-28 years. Anyway, we did not find any thing to notice except for an overdrunk guy who was trying to distrub passerbys but was harmless. Anyway, make sure to keep a good map with you to avoid unwanted contacts with people in these awkward timings.
Regards
Muzzammil

Travel Tips for Barcelona

Downloadable .pdf of Maribel's City Guides

by virtualpatrick

To supplement whatever retail book you buy, have a look / download at Maribel's Guides - http://maribelsguides.com

The site has free downloadable .pdf files for the major cities and regions of Spain. It's updated just about yearly. I recently used it along with Frommer's Barcelona Day by Day book on my Barcelona trip in May. I also have the DK Top 10 Barcelona app on my iPod Touch.

My frequently used guides were the real, old-school, paper ones when I am out and about. I basically used the "virtual" guide when I am in my room and I am planning out the day. The printed out Maribel city guide was great to read and refer to while on the plane.

Rick Steve's Snapshot: Barcelona is also good since it is compact, and right to the point.

Local Patriotism

by unaS

Catalunya has always been known for the strong feelings of its people for independence.
Throughout the many changes of rulers in Spain the Catalonians have remained patriots of their area.

Indeed even today they remain a culturally autonomous community. The guides often refer to the period of the kings of Aragon and Castille when Catalunya was a dominant influence. The language is used as often, if not more often, than is Spanish. While they learn Spanish in school, the spoken language remains Catalunian.

Despite being repressed during the Franco era, in 1975 Catalonia recovered its autonomy.

And I, by pure luck, arrived on Catalunya Day to see the parade!

What to wear in Early november

by satsumamoon

A big handbag which doesnt keep falling off your shoulder! Not only is it a pain, it also isnt safe from bag snatchers.
Bag should be big enough to carry camera, papers, travel guide, water, juice, a thick shawl/sweater for when it gets chilly later in the day, a sandwich for when the only food you can find is expensive and not that great -like in the park near the zoo! You get hungry and thirsty with all that walking, so taking some food with you saves a fair bit of money through out the week. Coffee /coke was priced at €3 at many places we found in central Barcelona. Toasted sandwiches (cheap white bread with processed cheese) were €4 in the park cafe (park Ciudella -spelling?). A summer dress and a cardigan was perfect wear for me (a brit) during the day at this time of year.
Temperature dropped quite a bit in the late afternoon, so take something really warm out with you. My son wore a t-shirt under a light Jacket.
Make sure that your shoes are comfy enough to wear for hours as you'll do a lot more walking about than you planned. EG We spent 3 hours walking around Guell park, then an hour walking around a museum -another hour and a half was spent walking between buses and to the metro on that same day! Tissues! our appartment didnt provide this. We also found a few public toilets had run out of it as well. Zip-lock bags came in handy too.
There's at least one pharmacia on every block!! so no worries there! I did wonder though... what is it that they need so many chemists for?? perhaps it has something to do with that god-awfull sewrage smell that wafts around from every drain? Oddly enough, the absence of insects was remarkable. We saw a few wild cats, but no insects. I wish we'd taken the trouble to get a good zoom lens. There are soooo many places in Barcelona offering huge, vast Panoramic views! Tibidabo mountain for one; tibidabo funfair and church, climb to the top for the best views of Barcelona and beyond! Too cold for sunning, but warm enough to sit in parks for an hour or so. We stayed in an appartment for 5 days in early November. Comfort won over fashion from the offset really.
I only wore 2 of my dresses and one of my pairs of shoes -the most comfortable ones! My other clothes didnt match my comfy shoes, so they never got used. Lesson; you only need half the stuff you think you need!

Escape the city & find some Green Space

by scottishvisitor

Watch nature show off on a quiet Sunday morning - visit one of Barcelona's many little parks, this one was Turo Park just off Avenue Diagonal. It was unusual for us Northern Europeans to experience parks in February with leafy trees - some flowers & butterflies. The park is quite large and unlike most parks in the U.K. there was even a seperate area reserved for dogs and their owners, where the dogs can run free. The park was surrounded by local housing and seemed very popular with families, the Kids all seemed to be happy walking around with their parents clutching a brightly coloured balloon. Turo Park also has a little cafe selling drinks and snacks, but more importantly, plenty of benches are provided for your relaxation.

H & M

by Raimix about Shoes / Clothes

H & M is a popular brand of shops around Europe, mostly selling trendy clothes, other stuff. Actually in Barcelona centre was quite few these shops, offering big discounts and both inviting bunch of clients to watch or buy things.

I was quite surprised, that prices in H & M, especially discounted ones were quite small, it would be hard to buy the same clothes for the same price in Lithuania.

There is still no H & M shop in Lithuania, as I know to come into our market they need more stable and higher economics.

Comments