Hesperia Tower 5 Stars

Avinguda Gran Via 144, L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Catalonia, 08907, Spain

Hesperia Tower
Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 57% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• planxty's Profile Photo

five star luxury.

As I alluded to in my intro to Barcelona, I went there as my ex-girlfriend had won a wnderful prize of an all-expenses paid trip in a charity raffle which included a stay in the (then) recently opened Hesperia Tower, which is a truly five star hotel in every sense. Being modern, it does not have the charm of an older building but conversely it does not suffer from any of the problems associated with those places.

The hotel is certainly not central but there is easy public transport access to the centre nearby, allowing a little stroll through a real Barcelona suburb. Undoubtedly, the usual patrons of the establishment will be whisked by taxi and miss this. On which subject, the hotel does offer a free minibus to the airport on departure.

From check-in (conducted in perfect English) to checkout, eveything was absolutely spot on. The quality of the accomodation was excellent, the public areas hugely impressive, as you can see from the images, and the whole experience an absolute delight. I have to make particular mention of the bathroom which was stunning.

Obviously, I must present this with the obvious caveat that the information is five years old and I would strongly urge you to use more recent VT advice on it.

Unique Quality: I would suggest the unique quality of this hotel is the foyer area which, whilst impressive by day, becomes almost magical at night with the quasi nightclub lighting as seen in the main photo.

More about Hesperia Tower 5 Stars

stunning modern architecture

by TripAdvisor Member ArtloverOxford

We loved this building. Go to Madrid to see outstanding building design in Terminal 4 of the airport. Go to Barcelons to experience the pure pleasure of state of the art design, luxury quality materials and exciting spaces in Hesperia Tower. This is a must for anyone who loves architecture and enjoys new thinking on making buildings. We went Barcelona to see Gaudi buildings - quirky, packed with visitors even in raining weekday January. Opposite end of the design continuum is the Rogers and co Hesperia Tower, with some echoes of the Modernist Mies van der Rohe Pavilion in the Exposition Park.

Hesperia Tower is a tube ride from central Barcelona, but the panoramic views, the sheer enjoyment of the black marble, stainless steel and 'inside out' design reminiscent of the Pompidou Centre is so worth the out of town location. We're going to Barcelona again, to see it in sunshine and to stay in this hotel again, Best breakfast I have ever had and the most delicious evening meals we had in Spain!

An Architect/Designers Dream Hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member EssexEunie

We spent two wonderful nights at the Hesperia Tower Hotel en route to our holiday.
The design of the hotel inside and out was brilliant and ultra modern, an added bonus for an Architect! The room was very light and had wonderful views of Barcelona. The breakfast was excellent with a wide selection of hot and cold dishes as well as cereals.
We also had a very pleasant meal in the bar area when we arrived late in the evening.
One problem we had was finding the stop for the Courtesy bus at the airport and had the misfortune of seeing it drive straight past us so had to take a taxi.
With regard to the Hotel being out of the City, we found travelling to and from the City was no problem although we found it quicker to get a bus rather than the metro.
All the staff were very courteous and extremely efficient and we look forward to returning for a longer stay. We would not hesitate to recommend the hotel.

Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member EMFB1

We stayed at the Hesperia Tower over New Years 2007/2008.
Absolutely beautiful hotel, rooms felt very posh, lots of mirrors and fancy lighting.
Hotel restaurants are quite expensive - burger and chips for two cost €30! But we have to say it was the best burger of all time!!!
Location is very odd, set in a residential area there is not anything around to do or see. We did venture to the residential area on our first night in search of food and discovered a few little shops - all closed - hence the €30 burgers.
Petrol station to the left of the hotel is handy for sweets, juice, water and nibbles - open 24 hours
Breakfast was expensive so we ventured to the residential shops and in daylight found a patisserrie, fantastic giant chocolate croissants €1.10 each. Lack of tea making facilities had me on a Starbucks hunt , but had to wait until we got into town to find one.
Metro station is right on the doorstep so it was really easy to get into town. T10 ticket for €5.90 was fab and you can use it between a few people. Metro runs all night.
Hotel room made you feel special as soon as you walk through the door. Glass lifts and glass floor with japenese garden underneath are fantastic. Fabulous views of Barcelona from the floor to ceiling windows. Great hotel away from the hustle and bustle with the comfiest beds ever.
Highly recommended.

Beautiful hotel, let down by a few niggles

by TripAdvisor Member aircon123

We stayed in the Hesperia Tower for a short break in Barcelona in 2007, and overall would recommend it as a luxurious hotel which hits most of the 5* points.

We wouldn't worry about the location, while it is not city centre, the metro is reliable and cheap and runs until late so this did not pose any problems. This certainly did not impact on our stay, in fact it was nice to escape the hustle and bustle at the end of the evening.

With regard to the hotel, everything is immaculately put together in terms of the way things look, but unfortunately there are a few things that let it down.

Firstly, the lifts are a nightmare at busy times. They operate on a swipe card system so when everybody swipes their cards to go/come back from breakfast they go mad and you are left waiting for one for ages, then it stops at all the floors! We resorted to climbing 21 flights of stairs back to our room as we couldn't get a lift! We felt a bit peeved at having to do this in a 5* hotel.

Secondly, we felt that the spa had been overadvertised. Although we were aware that there was an additional charge for the spa which some people have complained about, there is basically one pool, one turkish bath bit with some jets in and the obligitary sauna and steam room. It is no different to the Next Generation health club round the corner from our house. If you are looking for a proper spa hotel you will be disappointed.

While we were there there was a big conference going on, and the breakfast restaurant was closed, presumably being used for delegates. Normal hotel guests had to eat at large tables of 10 in the conference suite a bit like a wedding, and the food was not refrigerated so was starting to sweat a bit! When you are paying a premium for the food, this is not really satisfactory.

Generally we couldn't fault the rooms and the views over Barcelona, but there were a few little things that would be so easily corrected that made a fairly big difference to our perception of the hotel. It's definitely set up for the business traveller, which may be worth considering before booking.

Five star hotel for sure...

by TripAdvisor Member jintsjason

I won a gift certificate for one night at this lovely hotel on eBay which I used for my last night of a month-long European Tour and was rewarded with a stay far above my wildest expectations!

I had a Tower Club room, which meant I had access to a special club with a full bar and a buffet of wonderful tapas all day. This also included free access to their spa which I didn't use, and why would I? The room had the greatest bathroom I've ever seen in a Hotel (and I've stayed in a number of 5-star hotels).

The bed and furnishings were excellent, the staff exceptional and the food at both the Club Room and in the restaurant was outstanding (if slightly overpriced- even for a 5-star hotel).

It is really outside the cuty but very close to the airport and Metro. However, since the Metro closes at midnight, my guess is staying here for a Barcelona extended stay would rack up the Taxi charges.

But overall, a very fine hotel!

Really good time at the Tower

by TripAdvisor Member wheldcj

We wondered what the catch was when we booked a 5* in Barcelona for considerably less than a chain hotel back in Brum however we pleased to say there wasn't one.

My wife and I concur with all the positives that have been mentioned in other reviews. Amazing architecture in the lobby, courteous staff, extraordinary comfy beds and a brilliant shower.
One thing I would say to other normal folks like ourselves who consider stopping in the Tower is to remember that it is 5 star Therefore everything that isn't included is very expensive. Breakfast at 28 euros and £££ mini bar means that unless you are very rich you need to eat and drink elsewhere. The problem with this is the Tower is nowhere near any other amenities. Not a great problem as the city is quite close but if you need a soft drink you need to make sure you buy one at the metro station or in the city before getting back.

I am a man of simple means so the following did not bother me at all, but if you were the sort who frequents a lot of 5* hotels I think there were some small issues that would have pushed you into thinking this was only a 4.

1) There is a glass everywhere (which makes the hotel so iconic) However one major flaw with this is that it gets dirty! Our ceiling to floor window was very unclean, as was the lift glass
2) I ordered a bottle of wine by e-mail prior to my arrival and it wasn't in our room.
3) No gym/pool included in price
4) No coffee making facilities (take a kettle)
5) A chip in the mirror of the vanity unit.
6) They didn't leave a choccy on the bed after our very last turn down service! Disgraceful.

Don't get me wrong, Hesperia is a great place, we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. In all honesty we spent very little of it in the room because there is so much to see and do in Barcelona it would be a travesty to spend it stuck in the confines of your hotel.

One last point don't let the location put you off stopping here. The metro is very close by and most of the time it is extremely efficient (one every 5 minutes). The metro is a good way of getting around the city as is the tourist bus which runs from the centre of Barcelona.

Not a vacation hotel

by TripAdvisor Member shmz

This is a conference/business hotel about 25 minutes metro ride from Barcelona city centre. It is not a holiday hotel. The area is not pleasant with hardly any shops or restaurants. The hotel looks completely out of place in a relatively run down area. Everything about the hotel is modern and cutting edge state of the art. Whilst everything about our room was comfortable the overall hotel experience was sharp rather than holiday relaxing. Breakfast was OK but our scrambled eggs on the first day were horrible and we could not eat them and did not try eggs again. The one dinner we had was 5 star expensive and lousy. On one day there was no hot water at shower time in the morning. This in a virtually empty 5 star hotel. A small bus shuttles between the airport and into town. However on the Saturday that we left there were very few shuttle buses and we had to resort to taking a taxi. The shuttle bus goes into the city but does not return. So unless you take a taxi it can be a little unnerving using the metro late at night. Taxi - 2 staff involved - one to wheel our small cases and the second to put them into the taxi and of course both were tipped for little or no effort or work. However all the staff who served us were very helpful and polite. We chose this hotel because it had a special offer - 5 star hotel for 4 star money and even then it was nearly empty. For a holiday in Barcelona I would not recommend this hotel. Barcelona itself is well worth a long weekend with stunning architecture.

Design over function

by TripAdvisor Member Doughballs

As other reviewers have stated, this is more of a business than a holiday hotel. 10 minutes from airport. Not a place you would want to stroll around outside, as surrounding area is not very nice. For a holiday I would not recommend it, most definitely. For business, or a conference, yes. Design seems to take precedence over functionality. For example the lobby bar seats look great, but try sitting in some of them....The washrooms on the ground floor look great, but no-one had taken into account that women might want to put their handbag or make up bag down somewhere. And the lifts were in a class of their own, they drove me crazy for the whole time. You cannot just get in a lift, you must state on an LCD which floor you want to get out at and you get assigned a lift. OK, but when there is a queue of people it can get chaotic. And sometimes it gets more complicated as you also have to swipe your room card and then choose the floor. As the lifts were packed one day and I wanted to get to the 4th floor I tried the stairs. Only to find that they only go as far as the 2nd floor and had to get the lift...
The rooms were very nicely designed, slightly different than the bog standard business hotel. No kettle or iron.
And the 3rd floor bar is beautifully designed and quite comfy.
Bar prices quite steep, but a tip is to order a bottle of wine at the bar, approx €22 which is reasonable.
Food good, no complaints there.
Don't get me wrong, despite my criticisms above, it is a very nice hotel to stay at, but I would not choose it as a tourist to Barcelona.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member AliHWatford

Ok so it is out of the city but that was quite nice. Yes it is a business hotel but it has great rooms, fantastic restaurants and the staff were very attentive.The metro stop is just outside and the journey is 15 mins and taxis were only 7 euros.I do agree it is in a very strange neighbourhood.There is a supermarket nearby Visit the restaurants at Port Olympic. You have to do the bus tours but it does take two days. Visit the spanish village on the blue route it is worth it for the restaurants.

Wonderful Staff and an amazing hotel

by TripAdvisor Member pegsSwansea

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel and cannot emphasise how amazing it is. Yes it is a little way from the city but the courtesy bus is so frequent and on time. We took our nephew with us who lives in Canada and we booked a suite with access to the Tower Club. WE arrived in Barcelona with no luggage - thanks to BMI BABY. The hotel arranged extra toiletries as ours had been lost with the luggage - they then led us to the lounge where a large glass of champagne was poured. They were so sympathetic to our situation even though in this beautiful hotel we only had the clothes in which we stood. Having stayed in many fine hotels around the world this one ranks up there as one of the best. The whole ambience you cannot appreciate until you are there. We were on the 19th floor and my nephew was able to spot all the major landmarks from his window. Breakfast was made to order and the Tapas range in the evenings spectacular. Although my Canadian nephew had not had Tapas before - they brought him plate after plate - and were so sweet.
The hotel is a joy, the staff are some of the nicest I have ever experienced throughut my travels. Please do not hesitate to book this hotel - you will not be sorry

Comments