Hostal Antic Espai

Gran Via de les Corts, Catalanes 660, principal, Barcelona, Catalonia, ES-08010, Spain

Hostal L' Antic Espai
Booking.com EasyToBook.com

• ETIPACK's Profile Photo

bohemienne fantastic accomodation

The Hostal is absolutelly beautifull, you will fall back in the past without loosing any of our modern comfort.
    it is located in a very central position in Gran Via and 100m from passeig de Gracia cross
    there are WI-fi internet connection (guess for free) as you might use the hostall PC,
    my room has a LCD ultra flat TV with a DVD "design" reader, bathroom stunning beautiful and cleaned and the bed was fantastic: an antique decorate wood frame with the newest and comfortable mattress ever tested (even better than the sheraton king size)
    all the forniture in this hostall are from antique dealer, and you can not count how many porcellain tea cup are there.
    and I still not mention the terrace, my rooms gave access trough huge window pane to a nice common terrace where you can quietly smoke your cigarette. (smoking is not allowed in the rooms).

Unique Quality: atmosphere!!!!! really unique
    owner and staff really nice people

Directions: passeig de Gracia

More about Hostal Antic Espai

A Gem

by TripAdvisor Member NBphilly

We stayed at this intimate and elegant hostal for 12 nights in March 2007.

The Hosts: Abel and Sergio were incredibly hospitable and caring, as well as very accommodating and knowledgeable.

The Staff: Very warm, friendly and helpful. The cleaning staff keeps the hostal spotless.

The Location: Ideally situated within walking distance of: Passeig de Gracia, with two of the Gaudi-designed buidlings - Casa Batllo (5 block walk) and La Pedrera (8 blocks) - and upscale shopping; Placa de Catalunya (4 blocks); The Ramblas (5 blocks); Barri Gotic (12 blocks); and La Sagrada Familia (13 blocks).

The Rooms: Our charming room (104) was one of four rooms that opened onto a lovely terrace surrounded by flowering plants where guests can enjoy a sumptuous breakfast or simply relax during the day or evening. The rooms are beautifully decorated with antiques that Abel acquired throughout Europe, and have modern day conveniences such as wireless internet, televisions, and dvd players. The beds are extremely comfortable and, as L’Antic Espai has been open since only June 2006, all of the bathrooms are new.

We give L’Antic Espai our highest recommendation.

hostal l'antica espai

by TripAdvisor Member Gereve

Just returned from 4 days in Barcelona and had booked Hostal L'Antic Espai for two nights. At this stage I feel the word hostal should be ommitted from the description of this establishment and it should be listed as a rare find with impeccable decor and attention to detail. Found it pretty easily and as previously stated by others dont be put off by the entrance but it must be pointed out that you have to climb almost two flights of stairs. We were shown to our room by a girl who spoke almost no english but she was immediately able to telephone the owners so this was not a problem, and the room we were given was no. 101 which I immediately disliked, firstly it was small and at the front of the building which was noisy. I would have checked out there and then but decided to see if there was another room available. I walked down the hall and a member of staff was cleaning some rooms. These were just off the terrace and were just unbelievable , our room was changed without a problem to room 105(at no extra charge) and was beautiful with a large patio door leading to a very beautiful shared terrace with lots of plants and lovely patio furniture, even though its a shared terrace between four rooms we had it to ourselves almost all of the time. I had a look at two or three of the other rooms on that floor they were all decorated differently and each one was beautiful and immaculately clean as was the entire hostal. The halls, sitting room and reception were picture perfect....... The owners were very helpful and nice and I would have no hesitation in recommending the place even though I do feel that as breakfast is not included in the price it is slightly expensive. It is very centrally located. Be sure to ask to the owners to recommend a tapas bar that is just up the street, the food was brill and atmosphere fab. Apart from the absolute cleanliness of the place and the decor, the beds too were sooooo comfortable and the extras in your ensuites like combs, bathroom towelling robes, shampoos etc were an added feature.You couldn't ask for much more. For our fellow irish traveller there are no tea making facilities , but this place is not to be missed..... ROOMS ARE SLIGHTLY SMALLER THAN A STANDARD HOTEL BUT THIS SMALL HOTEL IS ALMOST FAIRYTALE LIKE,,, SUMMARY...... DEFINITELY NOT A HOSTAL... MORE LIKE A VERY LUXURIOUS GUESTHOUSE DECORATED SO TASTEFULLY WITH ANTIQUES. JUST WISH WE COULD HAVE HAD ACCESS IN OUR ROOM TO A CUP OF TEA OR HAD BREAKFAST INCLUDED...BUT THAT WOULD NOT STOP ME RETURNING... BE SURE TO PUT THIS PLACE NUMBER ONE ON YOUR LIST YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED......

Feel like a resident not a tourist in Barcelona

by TripAdvisor Member Cage&ZG

We stayed in many hotels during our stay in Barcelona and Hostal L’Antic Espai was by far the only one to meet our every expectation. We felt like we were natives to Barcelona rather than visitors when staying here. L’Antic Espai is not like your typical Hotel. From the time we stepped in through the little door off the street we knew we were in something special. Abel and Sergio were there to greet you and show you to your room. They are a wealth of knowledge and I recommend having a chat with them if you get a chance.

We stayed in room 105 that opened up to a shared terrace. The room is just that, a room but it is decorated beautifully with antiques that go perfectly with the modern amenities. The bathroom was spotless. The view on the Terrace is nonexistent and you are surrounded by buildings but this opens your other senses up. You are able to enjoy the noises of Barcelona as you have your morning coffee or just relaxing with a bottle of wine. Kids playing soccer in a nearby courtyard, families in the surrounding buildings having coffee on their balconies and sometimes blissful silence greet your ears. The terrace itself is decorated with lovely patio furniture and surrounded with well maintained plants.

We found L’Antic Espai to be close to the main attractions but far enough from the noise. Since the weather cooperated we walked everywhere we wanted to go. Barcelona is a city to be explored on foot and every corner holds a different surprise.

The food is hit and miss and I recommend asking the staff for a recommendation. One of our favorite restaurants we tried was 4 GATS. We were told by the waiter that the 4 GATS was a favorite watering hole of Picasso and the main dinning hall is were he had his first showing. We recommend eating on the second floor balcony overlooking the main eating hall.

L’Antic Espai is not for everybody but it will appeal to many.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member IrelandJimbo

OK - this review is going against the flow a bit but its honest. I'd been really looking forward to staying here given all the other reviews on Tripadvisor but I have to say my main feeling was one of disappointment. I had been expecting much more.
They say first impressions count and most of my first impressions were fairly negative. The Hostal itself (I'm not sure if it would be fair to call it a Hotel - more of a guesthouse) is quite difficult to find. The only outward sign is a small banner hanging above the door. The Hostal itself is located on the first floor of the building so you need to know to use the intercomm to the right of the main door to even get into the building. (I made the mistake of keeping my finger on the button until someone answered and got a telling off - not very professional given that i'm paying for the pleasure of staying there). Once through the main door you find yourself in a very shabby shared hallway which is very badly lit unless you know to hit the light switch. Then theres the trek up the stairs to the first floor with your suitcase which is why i wouldn't recommend this hostal to anyone with mobility problems.
The shared areas (the reception areas and corridors) of the Hostal are very nice but the rooms aren't anywhere near as lavish or well-decorated. I have to say I only have experience of the single room i was in but it was tiny. The pictures on the website really dont show how small the single rooms are. It had obviously been a normal sized bedroom at one point but had had a bathroom installed in it which meant that there was very little room to move around or even find somewhere to put your suitcase. The bathroom itself was small but adequate and very clean. The shower cubicle was tiny (thats been mentioned in previous reviews) and if you were a large person you would have serious trouble using it. The room had a shuttered window but when i opened it i found myself looking at a tiny lightwell that was being used to contain the central heating boiler and the maids cleaning equipment. Because of this, the room itself was incredibly dark even during the day so remember to bring a clock or you'll have no idea what time of day it is (seriously !). There also seemed to be a lot of background noise. I couldn't make out where this was coming from but i did become convinced that the metro must be running underneath the building.
The staff were friendly, especially the maids but my biggest feeling after leaving this place was one of disappointment. Given the previous reviews I had been expecting much more. It simply didnt feel like a professional hotel but more like a guesthouse run by people who have forgotten that the people paying the bills are the guests. I definitely wouldn't recommend this Hostal to anyone wanting a single room or as i've said anyone who might have trouble with stairs. I also wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wanted a bit of luxury or pampering. Its just too basic apart from the decoration and you'll pay through the nose for anything more than the bed for the night the money gets you. Sorry, but i wont be going back.

Barcelona, hostal L'antic espai: ''One of a kind!''

by TripAdvisor Member nadineschatteleijn

After a 10 days stay at this amazing place..
with great people:

The owners are present 24hrs,taking care of all your questions wishes, great insider recommendations for restaurants&sights, extremely helpful when you have a problem..for example when you need a doctor,( one of them is actually a GP!)

On a super location:

a stone's throw away from placa Catalunya &Passeo de Gracia: the heart of the city,well connected with all public transport(Metro, airport-bus),surrounded by shops, restaurants, theaters..

where my first impression was:

WOW! from the very first minute!
Entering the place you think of the 'kabinet of Marie Antoinette' !an impressing collection of antique furniture(every room looks different) gives you a nostalgic comfortable feeling, as if you visit the mansion of your favorite grandparents!
while you relax in their 'living-room' they take care of your luggage, and pamper you with something nice to drink..
(one of the owners mixes great Margaritas..!)

And my room: Beautiful!
nr 104,) actually a triple room (but since i stayed a bit longer, it was perfect) antic furniture, spacious, quiet, with a door that opens to a terrace (you share it with 3 other rooms, and they even serve delicious breakfasts outside!)
extremely clean: with fresh towels every day, a bathrobe, hairdryer,shampoo.. all the comfort you wouldn't expect in a 2✷hostal in Spain..
so much love for every little detail,fresh flowers every where..
It's excellent'' value for money''!

I(sadly..) found an appartment , as my job requiers me to stay in Barcelona for more than a year´!..incase i'd have to leave one day, i know there's always a 'L'espai' to come HOME!

Funky place in a great location

by TripAdvisor Member KCorner

It's a shame that L'antic Espai is getting some bad reviews now as it really is an experience to stay there - you feel like you're viewing Barclona as a local would, and not staying in a plastic-tourist hotel.

Unfortunately our stay coincided with awful weather so we don't have great memories of the city, and had to take full advantage of the 'umbrella service' offered.

We stayed in two rooms (I think 104 and 102) both were immaculately decorated and spotlessly clean. 104 was pretty small but had a seperate dressing area in which to spread out, and opened out onto the shared terrace (which would have been lovely apart from the weather) - 102 was huge with it's own private conservatory.

Beds and pillows very comfortable, everything was clean and we loved the fact that we got bathrobes in the wardrobe.

Bathrooms are tiny, there's not much space to put your own stuff but they do provide lots of toiletries. Many people have mentioned the size of the shower cubicle, if you drop a lid or something - it's impossible to pick up without opening the door (and ladies, shaving legs is just not going to happen!). Saying that though it does the job, if you're only there for a couple of nights it won't be a problem.

People and staff were great and very helpful at all hours of the day and night. We liked having the internet access in reception as it allowed us to book onward flights, we also made use of the video library on our last night as we were packing.

The location is superb, only 10 mins from Ramblas if that's what you like, but it's far enough away to escape the hoardes. The airport bus terminates really close by so makes your arrival stress-free.

There were a few minor annoyances (like the cost of breakfast, getting woken by the door buzzer), but overall a really enjoyable experience. Recommended

2 Star Hotel, five star service

by TripAdvisor Member TanveerLondon

I normly stay in 4+ star star hotles and this was the first experience of staying in this catogory, but I definitely don't regret my decision. When I saw this hotel's photgraphs on the web, its architecture inspired me as well as the reviews on this web site. Honestely speaking, the service of this hotel is as good as any 5 star hotels' service. in addition to this you feel like you're staying at your own place with your personal care taker. The location is brilliant, staff is extremely friendly and breakfast and afternoon tea at the terrace is unforgettable. It offers DVD player in every room and there are plently of DVD's available to choose from. if some one is a busy professional like me and often don't get time to watch movies, I would recommed not to forget to pack your favourite movies and watch if you get some spare time. I would definitiely stay at this place again and again!

It's the Little Things

by TripAdvisor Member bonzvroom

I made the decision to stay at the L'Antic Espai after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor. As a single traveller, my criteria was simple: Reasonably priced, centrally located with creature comforts. What I took away from my stay at this improperly named "Hostal", was a warm and welcoming atmosphere with people more than willing to do the little things that make me happy.

Abel, the modestly flamboyant(yes, it's a contradicition I know, but it's the truth) owner - a Cuban-born, German-influenced doctor...yes, DOCTOR, was there every time I needed advice or a question answered. As a matter of fact, one night I when I needed some dinner and nightlife advice, he pulled up a chair , got me a beer and shared his popcorn as we discussed options. This led to other conversation and before I knew it, I was an hour into a rousing conversation with him.

Abel wasn't the only one that was helpful and kind, all of the employees working at this facility were just as open and accommodating.

As for the facility itself, look at their website. The pictures are accurate. The L'Antic Espai is full of antiques and assorted knick-knacks that alone could occupy an evening's worth of discovery. Abel has obviously poured his heart and soul into this place. If you have a chance to stay someplace and you don't want the extravagance or price of a Hotel Arts, but do want something special, stay at the L'Antic Espai.

Part of the Barcelona experience

by TripAdvisor Member rotling

I agree/concur with everything that has been written about Hostal L'Antic Espai. When booking, I was looking for a place that would not be so expensive, since I would be spending most of my time touring the city. I wanted clean, central, quiet, comfortable, secure and easy to get to. I found the Hostal L'Antic Espai to be all these things.

We took the bus in from Cadaques to Estacion Nord. It was an easy 15 minute walk to the Hostal, on a major, busy street, 50 meters down from the former Ritz (now the Palace, I think). We stayed in Room 102 for four days, which I recommend. It has a glassed-in floor-tiled kick-out porch overlooking the wide street and tree-lined pedestrian zone in the middle. When the doors to the porch are closed, the street noise is blocked out in the bedroom, at least to the degree that it isn't noticeable. The weather was cool when we were there, so I don't know if there is AC, but in warm weather it would be necessary, so check.

The bathroom/shower was new, with attention to detail. The shower stall is not for a big person, however, so please note.

The floors in the hostal have been painstakingly restored. The floor in the sitting room is particularly gorgeous.

Due to remodeling, with walls added, the rooms are not sound proof, so we made an effort to keep our voices low and walk around in socks (bring your slippers to match the white bathrobe).

We were so tired by the end of the day that we sometimes didn't feel like going out again, so we went to an upscale deli just a block away and bought cheese, bread sticks, tapa-like items heated up, and a bottle of champagne (candle essential!) to consume on the porch. Sometimes people on the street would look up at us, and we would wave, and they would wave back.

The Hostal is in Gaudi's neighborhood, upscale, and there is public transport nearby, whether the tourist bus, city bus, underground, or taxi. The taxi station on the corner, across from The Palace, was convenient for taking us to the bus station, 5 minutes, for the return to Girona, bone tired, full of info about art history, sated and happy.

Comments