Baixada de Sant Miguel, 2, Barcelona, Catalonia, 08002, Spain

Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Sergiods's Profile Photo

Hostal

Placed in the center of Barcelona, next to the famous Ramblas.
    It's basic but the rooms are very clean.
    Privat bathroom and there's no television on the room.

Directions: next to the ramblas

• illumina's Profile Photo

Interesting building!

We stayed here for a couple of nights in Sept 2008 - the staff were friendly and accommodating, the facilities were good and clean, and the building was fascinating - after climbing several flights of stairs (unfortunately the lift wasn't working), we had to walk across a bridge over a circular shaft to get to reception (see other photos)! It was a nice place, and very handy for the Ramblas.

• The best location

We stayed both in Hostal and their apartment, which is just around the corner from the Hostal. The location is perfect: 2 steps from La Rambla, Plaza Reial and Cathedral, in the heart of Barri Gotic, 10 minutes walk from Plaza Catalunya and the sea. In the first 3 days we didn't need to use any public transportation, everything was within walking distance.
    First we stayed in the apartment. It doesnt look very welcoming at first as it has no windows to the street, only to patios, one of which looked quite gloomy. The other one is painted and serves as terrace, you have an "exclusive" access to it from the living room. The furniture was very basic, the beds and pillows not very comfortable. The walls need a coat of paint by now, not very clean. The kitchen was well equipped, even had an oven. Water pressure in the shower was very high. There is no cleaning, but you can do some superficial cleaning yourself, all the tools available. :-) The greatest advantage was the size of the apartment, we had 2 bedrooms and a big living room for the two of us, so we didnt get on each others nerves and we could spread our things all over the place :-)
    For our last night we had to move to hostal, and that is where we realized that having no windows to the street is great! The crowds of bar-hoppers were making noise until 4 AM! The room and the bathroom looked better in general, newer tiles, but both tiny small. Stay in the apartment if you can.
    The staff was very helpful.

Unique Quality: Great location

• Couple

Hôtel TRES bruyant.
    Les cloisons sont très minces : on entend tout ce qui se passe dans la chambre voisine.
    Des travaux à l'étage dès 8h30 le matin jusqu'à 18h.
    Lors de la réservation nous n'avons pas été informé de cette situation.
    C'est incorrect et abusif.
    Seul avantage c'est au centre de Barcelone à deux pas de la Rambla, mais il y a d'autres hôtels aux alentours.
    J'oubliais le prix par chambre (douche et WC privés) : 65 euros par nuits je trouve ce prix excessif.

• Rudolph's Profile Photo

in the heart of Barri Gotic

we stayed there during or Bacelona trip for four nights and payed EUR 60 per room per night with private facilities;
    the room was clean, the accomodation is quite loud (don't forget your ear wax), but great located just in Barri Gotic directly near the Place Jume.

Directions: Barri Gotic near Place Jume

• stevehallam's Profile Photo

superb for cheap and central

We had a room for 3 with an ensuite bathroom. It was clean and had everything we needed.
    It's not the type of place i would take my wife as we prefer more luxury, but for 3 guys who just want to explore the city with out spending a fortune of accomodation it was perfect. It was a 2 minute walk to Placa Real - although it was down quite a dark alleyway. Or 5 minutes if you went the scenic route. La ramblas was only 5 minutes away also - so you couldn't ask fro a better location.
    All in all i would reccomend it for students, back backers, budegt travellers, Apparently it was once a brothel frequented by Picasso
    here's the link http://www.hostallevante.com/cas/index.htm
    good luck

Unique Quality: Apparently it was once a brothel frequented by Picasso

Directions: 2 mins off Placa Real

• Cheap hostel (now I know why)

We (2 people) lived in double bed room with shared facilities: shower and toilet in corridor. The woman's in the reception English language was very very bad. She talked in Spanish and showed things with hands. So, it was not interesting and less information.
    Room was very small. 1 double bed, 1 table, 1 chair and wardrobe in 2,5 x 2,5m room. The view from window was very bad. Like in well. The view to the next wall.
    So, now I understand why this hotel is so much noisy. Because you live like in well and every sound has good accoustic. I sleep in bed and I hear how somebody cough in the WC (another end of corridor), or sing in the shower, how doors are opened and etc. It is terrible!
    It was lucky that the summer season was over (my date was November 04-08) and no many people lived there. So, I can imagine about noises in active season!! :)
    Rooms and bathroom are clean. The location is near the center - La Rambla street, Gothic. Living price is not high - 40 eur per room. But the next time, I wanted to choose another hotel. To try:) because it was the first.

Unique Quality: Advantages: low price, clean rooms, good shower, safe place, center location (La Rambla, Gothic).
    Disadvantages: very noisy!!! sometimes lift not working, bad English speaking in reception.

• GinGinCoo's Profile Photo

Barri Gotic Hostel

Well I cant say I wasnt warned about this hostel because I read all of its reviews in VT before I made the reservation, but I thought I'd try it out anyway because some other person's opinion might be different from mine. Well, I was wrong, the hostel was in a great location that I must say. I was even excited because the room was very clean and we got a great huge balcony! but on our first night I woke up at 4am with street noise... people welding at 4am!!! OK maybe in some other time this wouldnt happen but the building in front of the hostel was under construction and I assume thats where the noise was coming from.

The walls of the rooms were pretty thin so you can hear everything too. Bring your own soap and shampoo because they dont provide anything.

Unique Quality: Right in Barri Gotic area! Walking distance to Plaza Real

• elainecox's Profile Photo

Hostel Levante-Not cheap nor cheerful!!

Checking in was really easy, but the staff were dreadful, unfriendly, and possessing a definite 'I can't be bothered' attitude. Room had a fan, which didn't work well, so we boiled, even with the window open. (couldn't do this at night due to drunks walking loudly past every night.)
    Easy enough to find, and the rooms were very clean. Even though we weren't supposed to be out until 12 for cleaners to come, we were untimely awoken every morning at 8o-clock by them banging around noisily!!!

Unique Quality: Didn't think there were any really good things about this accomodation apart from the location which is just off the Ramblas, handy, but not worth it, for €56 a night.

Directions: Placa Reial, middle exit at the back, then down two alleys, come to a little street and it is opposite the big Restaurant on the corner.

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Best location you can think of.....

This place is located right in the center of Barcelona - within walking distance to just about everything you ever want to go visit! From this perspective, it is a *****location.

We had a room with an ensuite bathroom, which was very nice, but it did not get cleaned, which I found rather "disappointing" to say the least.... (especially when you find yourself out of toilet paper in the middle of the night).

Being in such a central location plus being a hostel with sanitary facilities for those rooms that don't have an ensuite bathroom (unfortunately right next to our room), it was quite loud and noisy from inside and outside.

The staff was rather "neutral" and not very helpful and there is no breakfast being served in this hostel.

Unique Quality: location: ************************
    cleanliness: **
    staff: *

Still we would choose this place again, just for the location!!!

Directions: Center

• Jehcekah's Profile Photo

Central Location/Great Accomodation in Barcelona

I cannot say enough about the Hostal Levante! It was simple, but far exceeded our expectations. I actually heard about it from an entry on Rough Guides.

I made our reservations by email from their website: (www.hostallevante.com/eng). The website was very informative and even provided an accurate map which helped us to find the hostel.

We stayed in a two-person, twin-bed, ensuite room. The room was very clean and simple. My only complaint is that it was VERY hot in the room! It must have been over some pipes or something because no matter what we did, it was like a sauna in the room! The room didn't have any outside windows, but there was a window which led to a interior courtyard sort of thing, which did not provide any cool air. Thankfully there was a fan in the room (they obviously know about the problem because our friends' room didn't have a fan).

Our friends had an exterior room, which they said was very loud at night when people were coming back from the bars. Our room was very quiet thanks to the fan, I think.

There was no telephone or television in the rooms, but there is a lounge area with a TV right off of the lobby. The best thing for us about this hostel was that we could leave our luggage in the TV room after we checked out and before our late-night flight! The desk is open 24 hours, so it was certainly safe.

The hostel is located just off of La Rambla with plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. It is also within walking distance of some major sights (Barcelona Cathedral, Picasso Museum, and La Rambla). We paid about $55 a night for our ensuite twin room. If you are looking for a place to simply rest your head and if you can do without amenities, this is the place for you!

I HIGHLY recommend the Hostale Levante!

• acemj's Profile Photo

Clean, but simple

I told you the room was basic, but clean. There wasn't much to it, but then again, I wasn't in there much!

• Sisi03's Profile Photo

In the heart of Barri Gotic

There are plenty of hostals around Barri Gotic.

I chose this because legend has it that in its period as a brothel, this building received on more than one ocasion a visit from the young Picasso.

Plus points : Very clean, secure (i.e. no missing belongings!)

I reserved a double with shower and got a HUGE room with 1 double bed and 2 singles!

Warning : No airconditioning and no fan. Can be quite uncomfortable in the heat of summer.

Directions: Just of Carrer Ferran

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Hostal Levante

Hostal Levante is a basic and clean accomodation. The staff at the 24 h reception are friendly, helpful and speak English. They have rooms with both private or shared bath. I paid 30 Euro per night for a single room with sink and shared bath (2003). Breakfast is not included.

Directions: The Hostal is located very centrally, just 5 min on foot from La Rambla or the Cathedral. The closest Metro stop is Liceu.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Great location, clean rooms

Unique Quality: Ring the bell and they'll buzz you in. Get in the elevator and hit the button that says 'hostal.' I stayed in a single room that was very clean and comfortable. I left all my belongings in the room all day and nothing went missing! The bathrooms are separate, but there is about one bathroom for every four rooms and I never had to wait. The staff was courteous and helpful.

Comments