c/ Dels Capellans 4, Barcelona, Catalonia, 08002, Spain

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Barcelona Catedral

biggest disappointment in vacation

by TripAdvisor Member skizzi

We have just enjoyed most of a 16-day vacation in Spain. We visited many cities and stayed in several hotels. Our last three nights were spent at the Hotel Barcelona Catedral. We checked in at about 4:00 p.m. We were given a smoking handicap room that was very warm. The desk claimed not to know about our request for non-smoking, yet the email is still on my computer with their response. We inserted our spare keycard to activate the electricity and air conditioning and went out to enjoy the city until about 11:30 p.m. Upon returning to our room, the temperature was still very warm. The thermostat clicked off about 25 degrees (about 80 f) Needless to say the down comforter was way too warm and the maintenance people had long been gone for the evening. We tossed and turned miserably all night long. While we were showering, housekeeping knocked on the door and then said she had the wrong room and proceded to do the same to two more rooms at 8:00 a.m. I complained about the heat and requested a plain bedsheet because the comforter was too warm. I also asked that we be compensated in some way for the bad night. We were told they would need to talk to the manager about compensation. We were also told we must not have inserted the keycard properly to turn on the air--not true, as our lights worked fine.

We went off to explore the city again, not knowing what to expect for the night. We came back to the room nice and cool and an empty duvet cover--no blanket and no sheet,and our toiletries on the bathroom floor. We had to ask for the comforter back. Sleep was better that night.

On our third and last night, the elevator next to our room growled all night long. It was another bad night. When we went to check out, they billed us for the water bottle left in our room on the second night, and when we asked about compensation for our bad experience, they said they could offer us free breakfast. It would have been nice to know that before check-out. We were on our way to the airport, and had no time to enjoy even that meager offer.

I would recommend avoiding this hotel. We paid full rack rate and had one decent night sleep out of three. The location is fine and it is a new, but rather cheaply-constructed building. The bathroom appears to be "formica"-tile rather than marble and ceramic as in all other hotels we visited. I predict the building will not age well and the customer service will come back to haunt them.

What a city, what an hotel...!

by TripAdvisor Member polkadot_shade

We stayed at the Barcelona Catedral Hotel for our 20th wedding anniversary from 9th to 11th June 2007.

This hotel is in a lovely location, just off the main Cathedral square. We were pleasantly suprised that the hotel met all of our expectations, the staff were extremely helpful and eager to provide assistance for any of our requests.

Alex was incredibly helpful upon check-in; we couldn't have asked for
a better start to our holiday. During our break all of the staff we encountered were helpful, attentive and a credit to the hotel.

The gothic quarter is only a few steps away from the hotel, make sure
you take advantage of the free walking tour each Sunday morning - Juan is an absolute mine of information.

The roof top pool is a great way to unwind, sunset over Barcelona with a glass of something nice in your hand and your feet in the pool
is a lovely way to round off the day.

Overall a great city, we can't wait to book this hotel again so we can explore more of it!

Thank you Hotel Catedral for making our first visit to Barcelona such
a memorable one.

Excellent location and facilities

by TripAdvisor Member G_EvansWales

We have just returned from spending 5 nights at the Catedral hotel. The location is absolutely perfect once you get your bearings. Placa de Catalunya (main square in Barcelona, akin to trafalgar sqaure) is just 10 minutes walk, there you can pick up the "Bus Turistic" which allows you to find your way to all the sights quickly, we used it for 2 days (the discount vouchers they give you will probably save you the cost of the bus tickets if you visit enough places). Within fairly easy walking distance of the Hotel is the Ramblas, Picasso Museum (the Museum Cafe is good value and has excellent food), the Zoo to name but a few. The Cathedral takes about 2 minutes to get to.
The best Tapas we found was in the main square (turn left out of hotel door, enter square, the "Bilbao Berria" is on your right), help yourself to the most scrumptious Tapas and they count the cocktail sticks at the end and calculate your bill. The Restaurant on your right as you leave the hotel (v small square in front of you), is very nice but small portions and quite expensive comparatively. We made the trek to Montserrat (get a taxi to the Placa Espanya and get the train (which starts underground)) it takes about an hour and half station to Monastery. The trip is worth the effort, make sure you buy the Tot Montserrat card it allows you free lunch at the Cafeteria in addition to the travel.

The beds are quite firm but we found them fine.
The downside? The bar shuts at 11.00 (but there are lots quite near) and the swimming pool was not heated.
The staff were very helpful, the room quite large and there is free internet connection just to the left of the lobby desk.
BEWARE of pickpockets, there is no need to be paranoid, just be careful and watch out for the scams and people pretending to be helpful.

Hard Beds!!

by TripAdvisor Member Tottie2006

The hotel is in a great location, our room was very clean and spacious and, even though it looked onto the side street, nice and quiet. The reception staff were very helpful too. The hotel has a small area with three computers and free internet access at any time.

My only issue is with the hardness of the bed. It was almost like sleeping on the floor and made for rather broken sleep!

Despite this, if you are ok with hard mattress, I highly recommend this hotel!

Fanatstic location, helpful staff

by TripAdvisor Member asiangourmet

We spent three nights at the hotel at the end of May. The location is excellent : 5 minutes walk from Aerobus stop, convenient for metro, shopping and sight seeing.

We arrived around midday,and were told we had to wait 10 minutes for the room to be prepared. It was not a problem, and we were nicely surprised at a complementary bottle of cava on ice in the room!

The staff were very efficient and helpful. They reconfirmed our bookings for two restaurants and showed us how to get there: Hisop and Cinc Sentits. Both of them were excellent with 5/6 course tasting menus delicately presented. We also tried some local restaurants in the old town within walking distance of the hotel. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel (still full from our gourmet dinners) but there is a little cafe next to the cathedral that served execllent coffee and croissant for about 3Euro!

The hotel has 3 computers off the lobby with free internet access. What a change from paying by the minute in UK and Ireland!

Our room was on the first floor but was surprisingly quiet. The air-conditioning was efficient and cooled down the room in minutes. I am surprised to read that other guests would leave their spare key to keep the air-conditioning on while they were out. Hardly the most environmentally friendly act !

Bathroom was spacious and spotless and shower had good pressure. Bathroom door was frosted glass and not see through. The only minor problem was when I received an early morning call from overseas. There was a problem with the phone system. Reception was unable to transfer calls to the rooms but they were very apologetic and asked the caller to hold till I got downstairs.

GREAT location, wonderful rooms, top service

by TripAdvisor Member CentralCoastCouple

My wife and I arrived mid-morning from the airport, sleep deprived and hungry.

The welcome we got was amazing. Immediately they wanted to know what kind of room we wanted - then had housekeeping clean one immediately.

The front desk clerk asked what we wanted - and found us exactly the kind of tapas cafe we wanted in easy walking distance - provided a map and called ahead.

For the rest of our stay - at meals and in our room there evidence of care and attention EVERYWHERE. We bought an art print and needed a way to wrap it in cardboard to protect it. No problem!

My work is in the hospitality business and I wanted to lure away half the staff. This kind of guest care is rare -even in 5 star hotels.

Though a bit out of our normal price range this hotel will be our home base when we return to Barcelona.

Fab hotel fab city

by TripAdvisor Member BRAMBLE14

We have just returned from a short break at this hotel and cannot praise it enough. The position in the Gothic quarter is excellent for exploring all areas. Excellent breakfast to set you up for a days sightseeing. The free sightseeing walking tour, offered by the hotel is a must.
Top Tip

We would like to recommend the Attic Restaurant in the Ramblas for an excellent meal catering for all tastes(smart / casual) Touristic bus pass for 2 days is very good value as a mode of transport and sightseeing. Boat trip around the harbour , cooling and interesting as well as being good value.Location [ - ]

WATCH THE PICKPOCKETS THEY ARE EVERYWHERE
Cleanliness
Facilities
Service
Would recommend: Yes

excellent place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member smileyMerseyside

Visiting barcelona with my daughter for a special treat for her birthday I wanted a hotel close to the centre,and with a rooftop pool.
I searched tripadvisor and once again the reviews from this excellent site havent let me down.
All I can say is what a find, this excellent contemporary hotel has it all -
great location just close enough to all the attractions.
rooftop pool
excellent service-breakfast
The service was also very thoughtful even leaving a bottle of ice cold cava in an ice bucket for my daughters birthday,and offering help and assistance at the drop of a hat.
On the final note
While i was at first concerned with the hotel being close to an area that does not always have good reviews,I didnt need to have worried,we never felt at risk in the area,day or night.
but always be on your guard with your valuables when in Barcelona

Barcelona

by pecaspeca

"Catedral"

"Fuente en mi camino hacia el museo de Miró"

"Vista desde el "Museu Nacional D'art de Catalunya""

"Museu Nacional D'art de Catalunya"

"Pavellón de Mies Van der Rohe - Expo 1929"

"Interior del Pavellón de Mies Van der Rohe"

hotel barcelona catedral

by FATIMAO

hi would like to know if anyone knows about or has stayed at the hotel barcelona catedral .pls advise location and general info thanks

by qaminari

I haven't, but its location is described on here and there is a map you can click on http://www.bookings.org/hotel/es/barcelona-catedral.html?aid=301726

by Belsaita

I never stayed there, but the location is good as it's just in the middle of the old town, so you can walk to many attractions. The area is VERY touristy (so be careful about pickpockets) and lively night and day.

by Claudip

Hello

I don´t know the Hotel Barcelona Catedral but I stayed in April with my friends in an apartment called Lovely in Plaza Real nearby the Ramblas of the agency www.cocoonbarcelona.com and I can recommend highly their apartments which are centrally located and their service. They speak french, german, english and spanish. I prefer to stay in my own apartment where I have a a lot of space and my privacy. Moreover you get in contact more with the people of Barcelona and their culture. Drink a coffee in the morning with an bocadillo for 1,50 € outside of your apartment and get to know with the customs of the people living here.

Comments