Hotel Pulitzer Barcelona

Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 42% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• rudysmom626's Profile Photo

Great Location, A Little Rough around the Edges

The Hotel Pulitzer Barcelona is in a fantastic location, right off Placa Catalunya at the top of Las Ramblas. One of the most famous people watching spots in the city, Cafe Zurich, is right around the corner, and there are multiple metro stops around the hotel.

I originally booked the hotel because I wanted to stay in a bunch of different locations before choosing a neighborhood for a vacation apartment. The interior design of the hotel is gorgeous, but the rooms are quite small. Also, aspects of the hotel weren't open - the roof deck was closed, even though it was only October 1st. The breakfast buffet was great, and the restaurant/bar area was very fun - my friend and I ended up joining a group there and going out with them until 3 am! (something that can only happen in Barcelona!)

However, there were a few drawbacks. The hotel needed a refurbishing when I stayed there 4 years ago. The was NO sound proofing, and since it was in a very busy area, it was rowdy outside at all hours of the night. Lastly, while the adjacent Raval area has become much more gentrified by Barca standards, I found it to be a lil sketchy/ undesirable after sunset (but I'm also a girl walking alone)... however, I didn't feel at all unsafe when I stayed at the Grand Hotel Central or Hotel Colon or lived for 3 months in El Born. Just something to consider if you are a solo woman traveler or small group of females traveling together.

Also, this was 4 years ago - the area was gritty and up-and-coming in 2007, it might be totally fine now.

Unique Quality: Supreme location - lots of good takeout nearby - Walking distance to both Metro and various sites (Las Ramblas, Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona, Placa Reial, Cathedral, Barri Gotica). There was supposed to be a roof top hang out area/lounge place, but it was closed.

Directions: Off Placa Catalunya on Raval side

• Needs refurbishing

Found this one of the modern decorated hotels/dark wood , low lighting. Room was OK not big but acceptble size. Stayed rm117 which really needs refurbishment. cupboard would not close properly. bathrm towel rail fell off . But the room was clean. Noise from the busy street minimal due to good sound proof windows- but from the inside of the hotel was much louder--the doors seem quite flimsy.
    Great location/helpful staff

Unique Quality: Great Location

Directions: shopping central districe. close to all public transport/airport bus

• sabrina01's Profile Photo

Stylish hotel

This is a beautiful hotel. Pricey but well worth it. The staff here are attentive and there is fantastic attention to detail.

Unique Quality: Great sun terrace on the 6th floor. Delicious cocktails and good looking staff!

Directions: Just off Placa Catalunya...very central location

• Clarion Hotel Pulitzer (Bergara 8.)

Honeymoon stay. Service was poor to down right rude. Three days to get ashtrays in a smoking room, 3 days to get a plug adaptor. Breakfast that was booked and paid for via internet in room costs was not included on arrival. The first we new of this was being presented with a 35euro bill on the first morning for a very small buffet breakfast. 6 euro extra for coffee by the way. What are these people on surely tea or coffee should always come with breakfast?.
    The hotel managers although good with english really couldn't be bothered looking after guests, we got the impression we were cluttering the (very empty) hotel. The only staff of note were a slighlty camp receptionist who was helpful and a barman who warned us on the first night of how much of a rip off the place was (both these staff were the only non spanish staff).

Unique Quality: A new and luxury hotel which is opulant in it's design with an ultra chic 'arty' look. Glass elevators lots of flowers etc. Pool and leisure facilities are advertised as 'next door'. This is a complete lie they are actually a seperate enterprise a good 10-15 min walk (depending on traffic) away from the hotel. Beware of opening times they are completly different to the hotel especially on Sundays and Mondays. The hotel management don't appear to know when these facilities are opening as they set us off hunting for them with the only directions being 'turn right' after they had shut on a sunday!. If you do find and get to the pool the staff there will treat you with disdain as you arn't a regular paying customer (it is a quite exclusive leisure club) merely an oik from THAT hotel( remember to pick up your pass card from the hotel reception to get in!). Views not great but sitting in the bar does get a lot of looks from passers by as the lobby/bar looks great.
    Rooms are good but slightly small.
    Don't dine here as you can get far better cuisine in Barcelona tapas bars etc. For a swish three course meal try quatre cats (four cats), far cheaper and more opulent with picasso paintings etc adorning the walls and turn of the century decor.
    Bar drinks etc all 2-3 times more expensive than the most expensive bar outside the hotel, you have been warned. Oh and booking breakfast, champagne flowers etc for your loved one is impossible as thier flash new computer system is a pile of s***t. You have to wait to the day you want something to order/book it.

Directions: Central barcelona, great location just next to the Rambla, on a quite but secure street ). 2min from tourist buses, airport buses etc.

More about Hotel Pulitzer Barcelona

Pulitzer lounge

by Oana_bic about Pulitzer hotel

Thats another amazing spot in Barcelona, I highly enjoyed bottles of cava and melon with rum & martini..so classy & cosy

nice location, excellent service

by TripAdvisor Member SonOfBruin2

I stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer from August 15-19 with my family in two double rooms. The rooms are small (maybe 9 feet across), as noted by other reviewers, but they are well laid out and appointed nicely with modern furnishings and prints. One room (which we moved out of) had a support column in the middle, but most other rooms do not (I think it was room 314). There was minimal noise from outside the hotel, but any noise from the hall reverberates in your room, especially doors slamming. None of us really figured out the funky recessed lighting switches, but that was a non-issue really. My only other minor gripe was with the air conditioning (individual thermostats, but the hotel controls the a/c?), which all of Spain it seems has yet to master.

The location could not have been much better -- literally within walking distance of everything. There is no gym on site but you get free access to the Holmes Place gym 4 blocks away. It doesn't compare to U.S. mega-gyms, but it's better than most hotel fitness rooms, and there is a pool, sauna, steam room, and towel service. At the hotel there is a lovely rooftop deck/garden for sunbathing during the day, and the bar hosts a weekly event there on Thursday nights -- very cool. The lobby is ultra-hip and boasts a large fragrant bouquet, a bar within the hotel's atrium, and a small library and reading room. It all feels very "Design Within Reach."

The service is the greatest asset of the Hotel Pulitzer. Every staff member is very friendly, helpful, and speaks English (maybe not the housekeeping staff). At the breakfast buffet (which I highly recommend) we complained that the scrambled eggs smelled/tasted weird and were politely offered fried eggs instead -- and they were delicious. The following mornings, upon entering the restaurant, the waitress remembered us and asked how many fried eggs we would like that morning -- THAT'S service. The tasty pastries are worth a mention as well. The front desk also recommended a tapas bar not far from the hotel -- Ciudad Condal -- which I in turn highly recommend to everyone else. When my camera broke and we tried to contact a Canon store in Barcelona, the woman at the front desk called for us to inquire about store location/hours. I cannot stress enough just how great all the staff were. I would stay here again (if I ever make it back to Barcelona).

A nice Hotel with a great location, but.....

by TripAdvisor Member worldtravellerNorway

My wife and I had two separate stays at the Hotel Clarion Pulitzer hotel in August this year, both stays was booked through Expedia, as separate bookings.

I will start to say: The hotel is only one year old, and generally nice, except for a few thinks about the rooms. In the two different rooms we had, the material of the sink in the bathrooms was not of marble or of porcelain, but of a stone material. Unfortunately the stone material, after what I could understand, can not bee cleaned orderly with usual cleaning remedies, and the sinks therefore looked a bit unhygienic, with stains on it. The same problem was also with the stone tiles on the bathroom floors.

The two rooms we had, was after my opinion, on the small side.

I find it also strange that an only one year old hotel is not better soundproofed. There was a little noise from the corridor and from the street.

The location of the hotel is very great and central, the staff in the reception is both polite and also helpful concerning giving advice about what to see, what to do and for example - how to use the public transportation system in Barcelona and the surroundings.

The Hotel has a Bar and a Restaurant, but I could not observe many guests in the Restaurant.

If you don't have breakfast included in your reservation, it could be wise to eat another place. The Hotel breakfast is expensive.

Our first stay was from 5th to 6th August this year. We were pleased with this stay.

Unfortunately, our second stay from 13th to 15th August 2005 was an unpleasant experience.

When checking out after our first stay, we were told that our reservation for the second stay was not in the hotel’s files. However the Hotel promised us to sort out the reservation problem – while we were on a weeks cruise. After returning to the Hotel on Saturday 13th August, to our surprise the staff had not done anything to solve the problem. We then asked the receptionist to call Expedia, but we were told that it was not possible to contact Expedia during weekends. That was a lie. When I called Expedia on my mobile, after a few minutes I got contact with a very service-minded and professional employee from Expedia, which sorted out the reservation problem with the Hotel.

If you should meet problems with your reservation at the Hotel Clarion Pulitzer Hotel, my advice is then to take immediate action on yourselves, and not only thrust what the hotel staff tells you.

Don't pay top dollar...

by TripAdvisor Member Massimo_C

This hotel enjoys a perfect location. It's on a side street between the start of La Rambla (main walking street) and roads leading to the nicer, less touristy end of town. There are a few other hotels next door and across the road (Best Western Regina & Catalonia).

Style:
Boutique, modern and cooly casual. Lots of dark wood and white sofas/furniture. The photos depict the style accurately, but the quality is not exceptional. The hotel tries to be fashionable looking and a little arty. Room style was modern and had flat screen tv.

Highpoints:
Room size - quite good. Our room had a balcony overlooking the street - not much to see, but nice regardless. Bathroom generally well sized, with modern fixtures. Very clean.
Bar area was relaxed and spacious - big, white leather lounges, red asian looking bar etc. The breakfast area was lovely - with bright, airy inside seating and a pretty courtyard outside with flowers and sunshine.
Helpful concierge, no attitude.

Lowpoints:
The hotel claims 4 stars, however nothing was done to make our stay special. No turn down service, no flowers etc. We were given two separately made single beds which had been pushed together, which I thought unusual.

No bath, no tea/coffee making facilities, only 1 english tv station (CNN), no iron. The shower itself wasn't lit and was black, so a little dark.
Breakfast was average, apart from the setting. In my view, the quality of a hotel's scambled eggs is very important - here: inedible.

There was a little noise from the street and from the hallway - ie rooms didn't appear well soundproofed.

Not all the furnishings were high quality and in parts the hotel looked a little cheap in execution. Ie, don't expect polished, luxury furnishings and you won't be disappointed.

Would I stay again:
I have no real complaints and would not advise someone against staying here. No doubt you would be quite comfortable. But depending on the money, next time I'd consider somewhere else in the same area. Don't pay a fortune for it. Have stayed in far nicer places for the euros we paid here.

Excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member lrnyn

Just returned from 3 night stay. I usually frequent newer 4-5 star hotels. Location is excellent on a side street next to the Paca de Catalunya. Nice rooms with spacious bathrooms, free high speed internet. Staff is very helpful. Roof top bar is nice but usually pretty deserted. Breafast is excellent. Holmes Gym is a very nice fitness facility about 5 blocks away. Use is complimentary for guests. Subway close by. Overall, a nice hotel well worth considering. Would consider staying again.

Very Nice

by TripAdvisor Member Travelcritic-ca

The hotel is located in the heart of the shopping area. The rooms are comfortable and very art nouveau with dark wood floors and lots of funky artwork. The price we paid walking off the street was reasonable based on the others in the area. The only negative is that for being 1 year old it they seem to have neglected the ongoing maintenance, nicks in the wall, scratches on the floors etc, but other than that it was marvelous.

Nightlife....TONIGHT!!!

by sabrina01

I´m here in the wonderful city of Barcelona....but the friend I came with is sick and puking up in the hotel! I still want to go out but feel a bit sad goin on my own! Is there anyone in Barcelona right now that could meet for a drink or two??? I know it´s unlikely but you never know! It´s Thursday, nearly midnight.....

RE: Nightlife....TONIGHT!!!

by gracienc

ops, I read your message two days later. If you are in Barcelona and still want to go out for a drink, feel free to send me an email. I live in Gràcia quarter

see you
Rafel

Thanks Rafel!

Unfortunately I am back home now but I did end up going out that night!! Next time I go (there will be a next time- I loved Barcelona!!) maybe you could show me some good places to go!

Sabrina

by gracienc

Yes, I can. But next time, please, send your message before, jajaja

Come back when you want

rafel

by sabrina01

Yes that sounds like a much better idea!!

by masterco

I'm looking forward for upcoming summer!! I will stay in Tossa de Mar and will visit Barcelona for a weekend.

Anybody have some more tips for nightclubs? I also started the website www.barcelonacity.eu to provide some information about this wonderful city. If you know some nightclubs, please let me know, so I can visit them and review them ;)

by sabrina01

I went to one called Cafe Royale which was really nice, just off the placa real I think.

by MedCruiseRookie

where did you stay? i am going in august and want to stay somewhere where i am walking distance to most everything (nightlife, shopping, restaurants)

thanks

by sabrina01

Hi I stayed in a wonderful hotel called Hotel Pulitzer. Very expensive though.

by MedCruiseRookie

how expensive is very expensive? we will only be there for a night or 2 so i'm willing to spend something like $175 a night?

is my idea of expensive a little off? be kind

by sabrina01

Look it up on tripadvisor.com

Comments