Hotel Regencia Colon

Travelocity Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Harriers9's Profile Photo

Ideally situated hotel

We spent five days here and the only real fault we could find with our room was the noise that came through the VERY thin single glazed windows.

They seemed more like perspex than glass to me, being a light sleeper I had to buy some ear plugs. Apart from that the room was comfortable and clean.

The hotel was convenient for most sights but it rained for most of the five days that we were there. Staff were helpful if a little lacking in English but then again I'm just as lacking in Spanish.

I would probably try somewhere else next time we visit Barca. Only because of the poor windows though.

Unique Quality: The hotel is very close to most things and so close to the Gothic Cathedral that you could almost touch it.

We didn't try the breakfasts there because there are plenty of coffee shops in the square a few yards away.

• chipper99's Profile Photo

Ideal hotel in City Centre

This is a great base for your visit to Barcelona. My wife and I stayed here in mid-August, unfortunately only for one night, whilst spending 2 days sightseeing around Barca. You need longer but that is a different matter.
    The hotel is well located next to the gothic Cathedral Santa Eulalia, just off Cathedral Square, and a 5 minute walk through the side streets to La Rambla. There are a few little restaurant/bars on the square and loads more within a few minutes walk towards La Rambla and in the surrounding area.
    The hotel itself is a lovely building, well maintained and decorated. The rooms are excellent for the very reasonable price you pay, with mini bar, large bathroom, powerful shower and flat screen LCD TVs. (We paid 70 Euro for the night) The hotel staff are very friendly and speak good English. Also they did'nt laugh when I tried my broken Spanish. We were able to store our luggage there all day in secured room, they give you a ticket for it at no cost and they phoned us a taxi to the station, even taking our bags out to the taxi for us.
    Just one word of warning. The hotel is situated off the square, right behind another hotel called the Colon, so make sure you are going into the correct hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I will definitely stay there again.

Directions: Gothic didstrict, next to Santa Eulalia Cathedral, 5 minutes walk to La Rambla.

• arty_girl's Profile Photo

Reasonably priced for excellent accomodation

I would certainly recommend this hotel which is located in an excellent area, close to Las Ramblas, yet far enough away from the noise and bussle to allow you to have a peaceful nights sleep though if you're a light sleeper like me, invest in a pair of earplugs as the bin men seem to come every night at about 1.30am and you do hear occational chatter from the streets. It's nothing too extreme though!

As far as facilities are concerned, the hotel is basic, with no swimming pool etc however the rooms are perfectly clean and the maids are very efficient and friendly. They ask you to be out of your room by 12 o clock each day should you want your room cleaned. It's 5 minutes away from both Catalunya square and Barcelona´s Harbor and is just aroudn the corner from the main museums (Museo Picasso, Museo Textil).

The room we had was spacious with high ceilings and excellent air conditioning which was a welcome relief after a day in the sun. Our room was number 454 and was facing the street and the windows had electric blinds which you could close during the day to ensure the room was cool.

Unique Quality: The rooms which are facing the street face onto some traditional spanish houses which I found pretty to look at. The cathedral is literally on your doorstep, just cross over the roadand take the street straight ahead of you and you're in a plaza which holds the cathedral.

Directions: I'd advise you to get a taxi from El Prat airport. Entering Barcelona from the Ronda Litoral, you exit at Passeig de Colón & continue along Via Laietana ave. Then turn left towards Plaça de la Catedral, where the hotel is located.

• seansf's Profile Photo

Good Location- Bad Service

This hotel has a very good location- very near cathedral and near Las Ramblas. The room was a good size and very clean. However, the service I received was not good at all. When I booked this hotel I was given a rate that included breakfast. When I checked in I was told that breakfast was not included with this rate. I complained several times however I was just told "no". Also the drain in the tub did not work properly and after being told it was fixed found it was not. It was not fixed during my entire 5 night stay.

• Good Hotel, Great Location

When you're staying in Barcelona, location is key. This hotel is a fifteen-second walk from the cathedral, a six-minute walk from Las Ramblas, a ten-minute walk from Placa Catalunya and a fifteen-minute walk from the sea. It is clean and quiet, with English-speaking staff. It is equipped with an elevator and our second-floor room had everything we needed, including two English news stations on TV. The hotel also has a restaurant-bar that serves an optional breakfast, although we didn't feel it was a good value. Hotel Regencia Colon is a smaller offshoot of the Hotel Colon, which means you receive the same great service as its more expensive partner at a lower price.

Directions: One block from the Cathedral.

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Excellent location for your Barcelona stay

A very convenient hotel perfectly located very close to the Catherdral. The hotel was totally renewed in 1999 and provides 50 rooms, all equipped with complete bathroom with hair dryer, safe-deposit box, mini bar, satellite TV, heating, air conditioning, and telephone with PC/modem connections.

Unique Quality: - Excellent location
    - Clean and quiet
    - Friendly and helpful staff
    - Large breakfast buffet for EUR 10

Directions: Very well located in front of the Cathedral and 5min walk from the Rumblas, Catalunya square or Barcelano harbour.

More about Hotel Regencia Colon

Perfect for a Late-Afternoon Siesta

The Hotel Regencia Colon in Barcelona is exactly what I need in a moderately-priced hotel: friendly staff with good communication skills; clean room with wood floors (no sketchy carpeting!); and sparkling bathroom with fluffy white towels. The room was not large, but it was clean and reasonably well decorated such that I was happy to return to the comfort of the room for a late afternoon siesta each day. The location was perfect: just steps from the Gothic cathedral and a maze of Medieval streets and squares with shops, restaurants, and bars to explore; walking distance to Las Ramblas (nice to see, but we appreciated being several blocks away); and close to metro stations (easy transportation). Although the hotel was not cheap, it was our first stop in Europe, and we weren't up for budget accomodations directly after the long journey to Spain. We will definately return to Barcelona and will stay at Hotel Regencia Colon again!

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jeanettesally

My partner and I have just returned from a week in Barcelona. This is the first time in Barcelona for both of us and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel Regencia Colon was our choice for our stay and proved to be a good choice. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was very clean with everything required for a comfortable stay. The bathroom was bright and fluffy towels provided every day. In seven nights our bed was changed four times. The restaurant for breakfast didnot inspire us so we ate out at a small cafe just across the square. The hotel is really well placed for all the tourist attractions, bars, restaurants, shops, and metro. There was building work going on at the corner of the street but we were on the fifth floor and all work stopped around 5.30pm so there was no problem. The hotel kept our luggage for us on the last day and arranged a taxi to the airport for us which pleased us. Barcelona is a beautiful city but watch your wallets and purses. We found eating out in the evenings expensive but we did use what we considered the nicer places. The bus and metro system are really good for getting around. Our stay was Easter 2005.

Wait until nearby building construction finished!

by TripAdvisor Member dcsapper

I agree with all that has been written about the Regencia Colon, and had booked 5 nights there on the strength of the Tripadvisor reports! However there is a problem currently that is no fault of the hotel. It is situated on a corner of a cul-de-sac, no more that 50 yards from a building under construction. Maybue to avoid the daytime pedestrians, I don't know, but there were construction vehicles passing by under my window and construction work happening throughout the night. I can usually sleep anywhere but the sound worked its way through closed windows and metal shutters. A real shame, because I can't fault anything about the hotel -and when the building is finished, I shall return!!!

Hotel Regencia Colon at the start/mid july

by arty_girl

Okay, I've been researching hotels and this one seems to be the best for my price range in barcelona. It's only 690 euro for a double room, 2 people sharing (self catering) which is roughly only £462.

My question is... why is it so cheap? Is there a catch? I guess I'm being sceptical but the location is so good and from reveiws on here and elsewhere I would have expected to pay more... Before I book this, is there anything I should know? I reckon I'll need air conditioning, does it have this? We're going at the hottest time of the year and I'm irish (aka I'm more aclimatised to rainy, cold & windy weather)

It's right beside the cathedral, 6 mins walk from las ramblas, 10 mins walk from placa de catalunya and 15 mins from the seaside. I do hope this is finally the end of my search!

by qaminari

I don't understand the prices you quote, 690 EUR seems astronomical (of course you don't say how many NIGHTS this is for!), but in any case if you look at any list of Barcelona hotels, there are dozens in the same price range - it's only a 3 star (and reviews both on VT and on Tripadvisor are "mixed"). This says rooms are air-conditioned:

by kzapanta

That does not seem cheap at all. Did I misunderstand?

by arty_girl

Really? Perhaps I've been looking at a bad selection of hotels. I'll keep looking and get back to you on my progress. Thanks for you help :)

by Jetgirly

Are you sure it's self-catering? I stayed there and didn't have a kitchen in my suite. I don't see any mention of that on the website either.

However, I can recommend it as an excellent, affordable hotel in the city center. I've stayed there twice and my parents are going back in the spring to stay there again.

by Jetgirly

Also, Tripadvisor doesn't say anything about kitchenettes.

by arty_girl

Haha sorry by self catering i just mean we won't be eating at the hotel. I think my tiredness is going to my head. But that's excellent to hear jetgirly- thanks for your comment; it's great to hear a good report!

RE: Hotel Regencia Colon at the start/mid July

by irishronaldo

Seems expensive to me, you don't say how long you intend to stay, but i would certainly shop around a little more! Air cond is the way to go. Nothing wrong with the location.

by nyceagle1633

read my barcelona page irish girl..larry

by arty_girl

Thanks so much for your help everyone. I've decided to go for hotel regencia colon. It's the best that I've found. Going to book it tomorrow. I really appreciate your feedback.

Best wishes,