Hotel Rey Juan Carlos I

Booking.com Orbitz.com Splendia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 41% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• iblatt's Profile Photo

Excellent hotel, but far from city center

I stayed in the Hotel Rey Juan Carlos I for a professional meeting: There is a large and modern convention center right across the street and through a beautiful garden.

This is a great hotel, with a smart and modern design and very comfortable rooms.
    An attractive grove of olive trees is planted beside the driveway.
    The staff I met (reception, concierge, and others) were all very friendly and helpful.
    Breakfast was plentiful and very tasty, with a strong local flavor.

The only drawback is the location, on the far end of Av. Diagonal, a long distance from the city center and from most attractions. However, there is a subway station one block away, and from there it's a convenient 15-20 min ride to the city center.
    It's certainly a hotel I would be happy to stay in again.

Directions: At the far end of Av. Diagonal, which makes it relatively close to the airport.

• kylamees's Profile Photo

If You want luxorious...

If You want luxorious accommodation visit hotel Rei Juan Carlos II, the residence of VIP guests during Olympic games in 1992.
    It has huge interior hall where live music silently plays at evenings.

More about Hotel Rey Juan Carlos I

Pedralbes Royal Palace - Palacio Real

by spanishguy

The Royal Palace of Pedralbes was built for the King Alphonso XIII (1886-1931) between 1919 and 1929 in Renaissance style. It has big wonderful and luxuriant gardens with sculptures, fountains and arbours. The Princess Cristina, the second daughter of our King Juan Carlos I, celebrated her marriage in this palace in 1997. There is a sculpture of the Queen Elisabeth II (1833-1868) in the palace entrance, behing the front fountain. Currently the Palace host the Museums of Ceramics and Decorative Arts and it's an excellent place to official receptions.

El Palacio Real de Pedralbes fue construido por el Rey Alfonso XIII (1886-1931) entre los años 1919 y 1929 con estilo renacentista. Tiene unos grandes y frondosos jardines con esculturas, fuentes y cenadores. La Infanta Cristina, la segunda hija de nuestro Rey Juan Carlos I, celebró su enlace matrimonial en este palacio en 1997. Hay una escultura de la Reina Isabel II (1833-1868) en la entrada al palacio tras la fuente delantera. Actualmente el Palacio acoge los Museos de la Cerámica y de las Artes Decorativas y es un excelente lugar para recepciones oficiales.

Visiting hours / Horario de visita

Tuesdays to Saturdays / Martes a sábados: 10:00 - 18:00
Sundays / Domingos: 10:00 - 15:00

Fantastic service and surroundings

by TripAdvisor Member Peter_Gustafsson

We had a fantastic experience at Rey Juan Carlos!

It is a little far away from the city centre but since taxi is both cheap and not hard to get, it's not a problem at all, in fact it is nice to be apart from down town. You can still enjoy the nightlife and then after a hard night out rest at the pool the following morning.
This is like an oasis with the rest of Barcelona within reach!

Peter G

Good--But not the Marriott

by TripAdvisor Member Bonzoboy2000

Having read past reviews, I was questioning my choice. If you stayed at the Marriott in Miami (Brickell) or in DC, the Rey Juan Carlos is not the same caliber. Maybe on par with the Courtyard on F-Street in DC. The staff was very helpful, however. I gave consideration to moving to the Le Meridian down by "the action" at Las Ramblas, but after inhaling diesel fumes for a couple of hours, I decided that maybe being a little farther away isn't a bad thing. I also took a train to the Princess Hotel, and found it to be very sterile, and would rate it at half the level of the Rey Juan Carlos.

The bathroom shower was all marble (or granite), but as small as a shower on a cruise ship; and with a tiny soap dish. I'm only 5'8" and I kept knocking my head on the shower walls. You might feel cramped in the rooms, but this is Europe, not the US.

The fees for internet were excessive. If you are on a budget, you might want to be closer to the city, I'd suggest another hotel. However, I had a great surprise with the fireworks outside our window, and my wife enjoyed watching the polo club behind the hotel. If I go back to Barcelona again, I'll probably stay at another hotel closer to the city center. But we felt very safe at this hotel.

The Rey Juan Carlos is fairlly distant from the city center, but close to a metro stop that gets you right downtown quickly. We had a blast riding around the city on the metro from the hotel (it's the last stop on the line) The fact that it is on high ground puts it above the city's pollution cloud.

Wireless is 20 euros a day.

by TripAdvisor Member JTFBrussels

The rooms are nice, what you would expect for the rating. My complaints:

1. Wireless is 20 per day, where most hotels it is free if you are a guest

2. My room faced the garden and they had a corporate party going on until Midnight. Basically, it sounded as if I was wearing headphones the music was so loud. I made a complaint but that went pretty much no where.

3. No frequent flyer miles or hotel program accepted.

Summary, if you have a symposium, seminar, etc. it is better to spend the same amount on a cool hotel downtown.

Nice Hotel - Great for the Money!!!

by TripAdvisor Member kthomas531

This was a really nice hotel. We walked in and the beauty of the lobby made me feel at ease that I had made a good choice. The staff was extraodinarily friendly. They were most accommodating when it came to meeting our family's needs. The location of the hotel was a little far from the city centre; but the metro is only a few minutes walk away. We bought a 70 trip metro pass (was enough for 5 people) for 40 Euros and it lasted us the whole week. We enjoyed the walk each day. My only complaints: 1. The tv channels were mostly in spanish, and 2. The service at the pool was atrocious!!! It would have been better off as "do it yourself". We took our children and the hotel doesn't offer much for children (especially with no TV to watch). The hotel has beautiful garden grounds, and probably one of the best exercise facilities I've ever seen in a hotel. They even offer 4 -5 exercise classes each day at no additional costs.

For those of you that are bathroom fanactics (as myself); the bathrooms rate a 5 Star!

Beware the meals and the drinks at the hotel are really expensive. Make sure you get out for your meals; Barcelona is full of good restaurants.

An excellent hotel

My wife and I stayed in a standard room for 3 nights and thought the hotel was excellent. It is visually impressive from the outside and stunning on the inside. Our room on the 5th floor was spacious and extremley comfortable and overlooked the hotel pool, the Royal Polo Club (we were actually able to watch games), a mountain and (in the distance) the sea. The bathroom was beautiful with a really good shower and the convenient feature of having the toilet and bidet in a separate compartment behind a discrete sliding door. I was particularly impressed with how quiet the rooms were. I didn't hear a noise from another guest in the 3 nights we were there. The air conditioning system was also very effective.
Other reviews are right to say that this is more of a business hotel than leisure or family hotel but a nice hotel is a nice hotel.

Our only minor grumbles were that the pool opens at 10am and closes and 8pm and so early morning or late evening swims are not possible and that the pool bar opens at 11am and closes at 7pm and we did feel that the pool staff were trying to rush people away as soon as they could. We didn't use the other health and fitness facilities but I have to say they looked absolutely first class.

The other disappointment was the hotel bar. Not only a designated smoking room but shut away in a windowless function room with no atmosphere.

We didn't use the restaurants other than for breakfast but the breakfasts were superb and I can't think of anything that I might have wanted which wasn't available.

Regarding its location, as other reviewers have noted the hotel is 5 to 10 minutes walk from the nearest Metro (and bus stop and tram stop) and you can be in the centre of Barcelona within 30 minutes of leaving your hotel room. I wouldn't have swapped the quality and tranquility of the hotel for being any closer to the centre of Barcelona.

Excellent pool and spa facilities.

by TripAdvisor Member JofromLondonUK

We booked this hotel purely on the great reviews and were not disappointed. The room was clean and spacious although the bed was a bit firm for our liking, however, the 'Pillow Menu' is a nice touch. Great bathroom with daily supplies of toiletries also robes, slippers, hair dryer provided. No kettle but a well-stocked fridge/mini bar. We had room service once as we booked room only - everything is 5 star priced [they even charged for ice and hot water!] We had a trip to a supermarket which saved a few Euros. The hotel is very close to the airport [Twenty Euros by cab] but not close to anything else - the Metro is not too far and there are also bus and tram stops fairly near, but no shops within easy reach, however, the extensive grounds/gardens more than make up for the slight inconvenience as they house the most fabulous pools - try the outside pool in the spa area, there are 5 whirlpool beds IN the pool which are too relaxing for words, also a fountain/massager which cures any aching backs. The gym looked good and the spa facilites [too many to mention] are excellent [separate for men and women, but exactly the same.] Towels and robes are provided. This was our first trip to Barcelona - we recommend doing the tour bus - two days 22 Euros - hop on and off. Go to the beach, La Rambla [loads of souvenir shops - don't forget to haggle!] The food market is definitely not to be missed. If you choose this hotel you will not be disappointed - especially if you like a bit of luxury. We would have rated this 100% but felt the hotel was slightly dated and needing some attention here and there.

ok

by TripAdvisor Member karlfryer

Hotel very good spa , public areas ready for refurbishment due end of the year.Bedrooms are dated but also due to be refurbished.Food suited towards Spanish will also please international traveller.Have good deals on the website, but speak to the hotel with the above in mind to negotiate something better.

Barcelona for new year

by jade18

im going to barcelona for new year this year, im just wondering what happens there on new year?
im stayin in hotel rey juan carlos I hotel, i believe its a 5star, has anyone stayed in this hotel or knows what attractions its close to?
what attraction are there in barcelona?
many thanks :)

by Belsaita

You have a very recent thread about NYE in Barcelona. I'm sorry to say again that is not much happening here, people (most tourists) tend to concentrate in Pl. Catalunya around midnight to eat the 12 grapes and follow the party elsewhere. If you want to have a nice dinner and clubbing, you must book in advance. Otherwise, you can always follow the crowd, but be extra careful this night

Regarding the hotel, I've been there just for company meetings (never saw the rooms). It's supposed to be one of the best of Barcelona, but its a corporate, bussiness-oriented hotel. Located in the bussiness area, you have some good shopping possibilities close by (Illa Diagonal shopping centre) but not much else. The good news: the metro will take you to the very city centre in less than half an hour. At night I would feel more comfortable returning to the hotel by taxi.

by DMcD

chech the VT "nightlife" and "things to do" sections on the main Barca page ----also---- check the www.barcelonaturisme.com website for things to do and see.

by shawarma_bcn

hi!

im from barcelona...i don't understand why they told you to take care that night! lol!

your hotel is a 5 star one...the problem is that is very far from everywhere...but i think is one of the bests of the city! i don't know your tastes about going out at night...i mean music, kind of people...

is true that is you want to go to a disco it will be more expensive than a normal day...but you don't have to book in advance in the 90% of places..there's no problem. there are free or very cheep places to go...but depending on the type of place do you use to go...

if you need help contact me at holakike@gmail.com, telling me what you expect for that night...kind of music and all this things...is not the same if you want to stay in the street drinking xD or you want a more "posh" night.

Comments