Hotel Silken Rambla Barcelona

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• Barcelona Hotel

This was a very nice hotel. staff was very helpful and friendly. Rooms were smaller than they looked on the web page but still a
    comfortable size. Hotel and Rooms were very clean and taken care of. I would come stay here again. No problems at all!

Unique Quality: They had a great pool on top of the roof!!!

• Marionbcn's Profile Photo

AMBASSADOR

"A great start..." when the hotel was inaugurated during the Barcelona Olympic Games in 1992, it was the world famous American basketball "Dream Team" that resided at the hotel. Located in the very heart of the city, it has everything you would ask of a superb hotel. Surrounded by museums, theatres and the city's most important stores, the hotel maintains extremely comfortable rooms, all of them double, soundproofed and air conditioned, with large bathrooms and some have terraces. They are equipped with satellite television, video channels, music, a direct telephone line, minibars and safes. Of the 105 rooms, nine are suites, five have a jacuzzi in the bathroom and four are prepared for disabled guests. The hotel has a restaurant, bar, gymnasium, sauna, solarium, swimmingpool, terrace and parking.

Directions: just next to las ramblas

More about Barcelona

Entrance TicketEntrance Ticket

Many marching bands.Many marching bands.

Casa BatlloCasa Batllo

By night (June 2008)By night (June 2008)

Taking a bartender course and staying for 3 months in Barcelona

by Audunk

I wanna take a bartender course in Barcelona in September, and then stay there until December.

The plan is to arrive Aug 23rd, and first take a 2 week spanish course.
Any inputs on which one is the best?
I Plan to take either the Spanish talk or Intensive course (10 or 20 hrs pr week) with Don Quijote. Is that a good school, or is it other schools that give more for the money?
In addition I have Rosetta stone on my computer, so I'll be able to study a lot on my own too.
The 2 week course will be either 705 or 605 euros, incl accommodation.

Then, the bartender course starts Sept 6th, and goes on for 4 weeks. After that, they help us getting a place to work for free, I think, to get experience, and then you can apply for a job. Or you may go right into work right after the course is completed if you find some.
The bartender course is 1500 euros incl accommodation.

I wanna stay there for 8-10 more weeks and work as a bartender.

How much should my budget be on, excluding the Spanish course and bartender course?
Will a budget of about 3500 euros for the whole time be sufficient to cover food and accommodation, a gym membership for 3 months and maybe a little traveling even if I dont get a job?

Where can I find decent apartments to live in? I'd like to share an apartment with someone. To save money, learn more Spanish and of course get some more friends. I think the people at the bartender course can help me with that too, but I'd like to hear if someone here has some good ideas as to where to find a place to live.

How will it be to find a bartender job nowadays? Since it is so high unemployment, I assume that it will be a lot harder to find a job?

by Donna_in_India

Hi Audunk - a good source of info are the expats in Barcelona. Check www.expat-blog.com/en/directory/europe/spain/barcelona/ or google 'Barcelona expats' for other groups. They're usually able to help with apt locations & shares, jobs, shopping, doctors, get togethers, etc., etc. Have a great time!

by Donna_in_India

Will you need a work visa??

by Audunk

Thanks Donna.

I don't think I will need a work visa. I'm Norwegian, and although we are not in the EU, we are a part of a lot of other stuff, so getting work within the EU is no problem, as far as I know.

by Donna_in_India

Our Mumbai Expats group was a huge help to new arrivals in India. I always recommend expats groups. If the Barcelona expats are like the Mumbai expats, there's a good chance they'd be able to help with a bartending job. :-))

by drewg55

Theres a place thats kind of half hotel half apartments called inside-bcn (www.inside-bcn.com) it is VERY reasonable and in a great location. Only thing is i'm not sure if you can share it with a random roommate unless you sign up together, but given that ur in bartending school you will probably meet lots of ppl. hope that helps!

Travel Tips for Barcelona

For smokers... ;)

by ginettissima

This is terrible, BUT I have to say this... if you're coming from another EU country (like France for example) or traveling through Europe, stock up on cigarettes in Spain! They are SO MUCH less expensive, and I'm just speaking as a French resident. Less than half price...

Palau Ramon de Montaner

by irisbe

In the same area of the Casa Mila "La Pedrera" you will find this very nice example of Modernista : the Paulau Ramon de Montaner.

I hope that when my other pictures are finished and scanned I can add some nice details.

This Palau is situated at the cornere of carrer de Mallorca and carrer de Pau Claris

Useful Things to Say...

by blint

Bon dia: Good day

Adéu: goodbye

No ho entenc: I don't understand

Gràcies, mercès: thank you

Moltes gràcies: Thank you very much

Dispensi! Perdoni!. Excuse me

Quant costa això?: How much is it (x is sh)

T'estimo: I love you (you never know when this phrase will come in handy!!! ;)

See street art

by ozalp

I always liked to see art pieces, graffities and slogans on the walls. I feel that their intentions are so pure. Not to be in an exhibition hall keep them being hypocrite. So, I always take photos of these kind of work in every city I visited. Enjoy them and smile as a price for effort of the artist.

Bullfighting Stadium

by FruitLover

Plaza Braus Monumental.
In 2004 the Barcelona city council declared itself an anti-bullfighting city, but, the dicision in itself has no legal validity.

Location:
Corner of Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes & Carrer de la Marina.

Comments