Hotel TOP Olympic

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 45% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Hotel TOP Olympic

Take a reality check!

We booked this as a last minute 'cheap all inc' package for the last week of March and felt we got more than our monies worth. Hotel was always kept clean, rooms also. The food was more than adequate, if you could not find something to eat you were being extremely picky. There was evening entertainment every night. But we overheard lots of 'moaning' comments whilst we were there. I think some people assume 3 star is really 5 star at a cheaper price, of course it is not, you get what you pay for! I also think some people just go away to have a moan regardless. We did have several school trips in whilst we were there, but by and large there were just high spirited, certainly not rude or aggressive and certainly not 'in drink'. Compare that with similar groups of homegrown kids abroad and I know which would be the better behaved. The hotel was obviously built in the 70's, shown by the style of the hotel, but the floor we were on had obviously been recently painted and was spotless. The staff were always polite, and the bar staff, who worked extremely hard, and dealt with lots of not so polite customers, were amazing. They never stopped! Callela is a nice resort, although it did not properly re-open until 1st April, there were plenty of retail outlets to suit all, some cheap, some very chic, so something for all. To precis, you could barely have had b & b in this country for the same money, never mind transport, meals, drinks, entertainment, so no complaints here.

I Don't Need a Reality Check! Don't Go - It is Awful!!!

Please believe me I also stayed at this hotel in the last week of March and this is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I have stayed in many all inclusive THREE STAR hotels in mainland Spain, Majorca and Ibiza and this is by far the worst. I have backpacked all over the world so I really do not need my home comforts and much prefer Spanish food to English - I am not a chips and nuggets person! The food in this hotel was very poor quality compared to the other 3star hotels I have stayed at. The breakfasts consist of extremely rubbery scrambled "egg" that didn't taste anything like egg, or fried egg that you could use as Frisbees, tinned cold frankfurters and bits of grisly bacon swimming in fat and stale white bread or cereal covered in a mountain of cocoa powder - hardly appetising. The only things edible at lunch or dinner was the fish which I liked or pasta but both of these were generally cold and needed to be heated. All the salads were rancid using out of date lettuce. I am certainly not a fussy eater and there aren't many things I don't like but this was just slop. The desserts were packet blancmange slopped in a bowl for gods sake! The place is certainly not child friendly as I had to lift my son in his pushchair down a large flight of stairs to get to the restaurant or either go up in one lift to catch another lift to go down to the restaurant – you couldn’t take a lift from reception. There were people in wheelchairs that had great difficulty at this hotel. They had no suitable highchairs for babies as they were just stools with arm rests and no straps to keep them in. Don’t tell me that I am in Spain and should expect different standards – I have stayed in 3 Spanish hotels in the last year and a half with my son and all the others have provided safe highchairs. I know you get what you pay for but you would seriously have to pay ME to go back here! The entertainment was a joke unless you were over 60 and liked line dancing and you have to queue up for at least 20 minutes to get a watered down drink and were only allowed to get 2 drinks at a time – no good when you have a family of 4 adults and a child. I said please and thank you every time and never complained to the staff but never ever got a smile out of any of them. Yes the hotel was clean and the rooms were fine but that was the only good point. As for the noise, don't expect to have a relaxing holiday. Not once did I get an uninterrupted sleep for the whole week. Two floors of students letting off sirens and running up and down the corridors banging on all the doors is not my idea of "fun" at 3 o’clock in the morning. The one time I did manage to find the manager of the hotel I did say politely to him if he was going to be able to stop the noise he just shrugged his shoulders and walked away. I myself am not opposed to anyone enjoying themselves on holiday but I witnessed these students throwing bottles off balconies and into the swimming pool and I know for a fact the police were called out to them on a couple of occasions as I was walking out of the hotel when the police arrived. This was not just a case of people moaning about a few kids "enjoying themselves". The only thing that saved this holiday from being a total disaster was the fact that you could use the facilities at the Amika Hotel down the road where the food was out of this world and the entertainment fantastic but then you would expect it to be as it is a 4 star hotel. I heard from a few people staying at that hotel that they only paid £30 more for the week to stay there than we did (£180). For an extra £30 you will be spared a total disastrous holiday. Calella itself is very nice with great shops and nice beach but is a little run down in places. The train to Barcelona is fantastic, cheap, clean and runs on time. We spent half of our holiday in Barcelona and had a great time there so that is the only reason I would return to Calella but NEVER EVER AT THE OLYMPIC!.

great value for money

by TripAdvisor Member heeyjude

Although its over 6 months since I stayed at this hotel, after reading the terrible reviews I felt I have to write as I had a fantastic time and my children certainly did. It certainly wasnt the best hotel Ive ever stayed in but considering I paid only £450 for a weeks all-inclusive for my 2 children (7 and 11) and husband what do you expect????
We were able to visit Santa Susana by catching the nearby train and have a meal and use the facilities at thier sister hotel "Royal Sun" which was excellent and so was the food, and call in for drinks at 2 of their other hotels in Callela. We found the train very useful and went for a day out in Barcelona which takes around an hour.
I would recommend this hotel if your looking for value for money, but not if your looking for a child free zone!!!

Ruined by Students!

by TripAdvisor Member allieplay66

I have literally just returned from the Olympic Hotel in Calella. Before you book please read the following as it may just save you from wasting money!

This Hotel is host to well over 100 foreign students PER NIGHT (this is the case all year round). The Spanish teenagers were great, but the Germans were really, really rude and NOISY!
If you like your sleep then forget it, I hardly had any the whole week. It was the constant banging, shouting, running & screaming from 9pm til 5am that finished me off! There are no adults supuervsing them, so basically they do what they want, without considering anyone!

The front pools were covered in spit, from the students spitting from their balcony!

The food was good and there was plenty of it, a bit wishy washy sometimes, but a good choice. Snack bar consisted of tepid chips, beans & hot dogs and to be honest I was'nt impressed.

There is not a great deal to do in Calella apart from going up and down their one main shopping street. The beach is a shingle beaach, with hardly any bars or cafes to go to and it was not the sort of beach I really enjoy.

All in all it would have been good value if I had got some sleep, but ALL TOUR OPERATORS should inform clients of the students as it spoilt the holiday for me! Not to do so, in my opinion, is extremely deceitful on their part!

ALL IN ALL, DON'T GO! There is a whole world out there and I am sure there are better places you can stay at for £200!

students..........

Stayed at the Top Olympic early April. If you are thinking of a quiet break around this time, then think again. The hotel was over-run by Italian, German and French students (aged 15-17yrs). Not a problem until they come back at 5am, and with the walls being paper thin, you hear EVERYTHING.............

I must say the food was fantastic when we stayed. Plenty of choice everyday. Out of the week's eating, we could think of two things we wouldn't eat again..not bad eh! If you want a cheap break, and dont mind a bit of noise, it's ok. If you want peace and quiet, and a bit more up-market, go to the sister hotel the Amika, It's 4star and it shows.

Absolutely Atrocious

I have just returned from the worst holiday of my life. Stayed for 3 nights, I would liked to have slept, but with noisy students and noisy British guests screaming and shouting until about 5.00am each night it was impossible. There are even signs requesting guests to be silent after midnight, but it seemed that this was ignored by most and not enforced by the hotel in any way. Food was very extremely basic and swimming in fat, so decided to eat out after first night. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone - not even if it was the last hotel in Spain. Students were rude and very noisy, unfortunately the Brits taking advantage of all inclusive drinks were not much better.

Walls of rooms are paper thin, but would not be too much of a problem if people were considerate of each other.

Never ever again would I ge here!!

cheap and cheerful/ but noisy.

We went to this Hotel myself, husband and 12 year old daughter on14th April just for a week, last minute booking. The hotel food was good pool's clean as was the room's and we feel we got real value for money. The real down fall was only getting two hours sleep a night between 3am and 5am , Bar down stairs closed and people in there had settled down for night then the clubbers return. The walls are that thin you can hear every thing and I mean everything! in the rooms next door, lots of German, french and other nationalities not had good combanation IF you want a family holiday.

The good point to our holiday was that we met two really nice couple's who might I had made our holiday all that better, but by the end of the week we where all ready to go home and catch up on sleep. Basically if you are a party animal and dont mind lots of noise then this would be a place for you. But if you have children and you want a fun family holiday then you need to look at going else where, this place is too noisy and does nothing if you need 6 hours sleep a night.

Never again , go to this hotel at your own risk

by TripAdvisor Member DGL62

Where do I begin?

We arrived at the hotel after a transfer from hell, took one hour and fifty minutes to get there from Gerona airport.

On arrival we were told we had only booked three rooms when, in fact, we had booked and paid for four. This was eventually sorted out but we were then seperated and not all together.

On arriving at our rooms we discovered that they were set out incorrectly. There should have been a room with four beds in and another room with two beds and two cots. Each room had three beds and one cot. So we had to change them round.

We went to the dining room for our evening meal and discovered it was almost a quiz every night "Guess what you are eating" - nothing is labelled. If you like chips and gravy, followed by Cold rice pudding, then you will manage.

The hotel is over run with students, the ability for our girls to use the pool tables on an evening was non-existent, and they are so loud you cannot hear yourself think.

We chose to go out most evenings. We found a nice English pub down the road called the White Horse . We also ate out of an evening at the Spaguetti Western Restaurant at the end of the road just past the hotel. (Turn right as you leave the Hotel-20 yards)

The resort is quiet in May but everything looked quite run down. The beach is shingle and not great for playing with.

The hotel rooms are so small, and when fully occuppied one bed is inches away from the wardrobe and the other inches away from patio doors, and that's with all four beds pushed together.

A word of caution - On our last night there our twelve year old daughter rolled out of bed and smashed through the patio window. The glass was not safety glass and did not shatter but broke in to large sharp shards of glass - see photos supplied with this review.

The other main problem is the noise, don't expect sleeping at this hotel it is so noisy and walls are so thin.

The only thing we liked about this hotel was the pool. It was quite nice and it had a pool side bar so you could get drinks easily.

I would not reccommend this Hotel to my worst enemy avoid like the plague.

Fantastic Value for Money - IGNORE THE BAD REVIEWS !!

All you people writing bad complaints - if you want 4 star then you should have booked 4 star and paid for 4 star !!

This is a standard 3* family hotel in a great location in Calella and is absolutely fantastic value for money. We went all inclusive for £190 for a week and could not complain at all. The hotel is huge with 3 good size swimming pools, the food was plentiful and loads of choices, salads, meats, fish, vegs, breads, cakes...... we didnt have one bad meal during our stay. We drank and ate whatever we wanted to throughout the whole day. There were activities throughout the day, every day and entertainment every night. Staff were very helpful, the hotel was very clean & maid service every day.

The hotel is definitely geared towards families with children and can get packed around the swimming pools during the day, but with a large beach near by this is not a problem.

Only down side was the noise at night, the hotel walls are very thin and every sound can be heard from the room next door and the corridors - but again this can be rectified by taking ear plugs !! I had 8 hours sleep every night and would recommend taking some with you !!

All in all - GREAT VALUE FOR A CHEAP 3 STAR HOLIDAY AND THE KIDS LOVED IT !!!

Should be called a Student Hostel

by TripAdvisor Member dixie queen

WE travelled with 'SUNWAYS' A part of 'NORTHERN HOLIDAYS'. AS SENIOR CITIZENS, WE should have been warned about the 1,200 PLUS ITALIAN STUDENTS in residence at the time of our visit IT was horrendous. WE couldn't find an empty tablefor our meal but the food was inedible anyway, cold ,tasteless catering for the students only. Their noise was everywhere & never stopped. Sleeping was impossible. We spent all our first day trying to be moved. The manager found us a 'quiet' room HA! HA!. 2 nights with no sleep. When we tried to move again we were met with shrugs. Finally, we were offered a room at another hotel in CALELLA ( what a dump) if we paid for bed & breakfast & ate at the 'AMAIKA'. We jumped at the chance to get away from the 'OLYMPIC' . On returning from our miserable 'HOLIDAY',we wrote to 'SUNWAYS' asking for a refund for the extra money we had to pay for the 2nd hotel. Money we could ill afford. We got apologies but no refund after 3 tries. Forgot to mention that the airport transfer didn't turn up & we had to get a taxi whose driver drove like a maniac resulting in an accident. We were badly shaken but the driver never even looked to see if we were still alive. All in all a dreadful experience. This hotel should have a warning attached & 'SUNWAYS' should take responsibility for selling it. Also 'GOTRAVEL' for continuing to advertise it after we advised them of the situation there.

Comments