Hotel Top Royal Sun

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 15% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Top Royal Sun

don't waste your money or you holiday

by TripAdvisor Member geebabe

we have just returned from the royal sun hotel (16/6 till 23/6) celebrating my brothers 40th birthday, let me just say I have never met such rude, ignorant, obnoxious, disgusting staff like the ones I have met at this hotel, I visited quite a few of the H Top hotels and found only two members of staff with normal behaviour, the only good thing about the Royal Sun was that it was clean. The food was left out for hours which was a shock, I have worked in a hotel myself for 14 years and if I was ever to speak to a guest in the way the staff at the Royal Sun did I would expect to be sacked on the spot. The first night was a great shock to me at the way the bar boy talked to me when I asked him for a cocktail drink, he snapped at me saying you have to pay! I feel very mislead by this all-inclusive thing as it clearly is not all-inclusve, if you pay extra when you get their you get a GOLD card which makes you all-inclusive. The rooms were not big enough for three people, your sheets were not changed every day, you just got your beds made up or they turned the pillow cases inside out on your sheets over. We did ask to be moved to another hotel but was advised not to as the other hotels were not worth down gradeing to. The bus you have to pre-book to go to other hotels was good, we used that a few times to get away from the hotel. Santa Susana is a nice place, a bit quite for us, I will never come back to spain using the H Top Hotels, I don't understand are they get business, some-one is telling lies about this hotel and it not fair to mis-lead people in this way. People save up for there holiday only to be disappointed. I would never recommend this chain of hotels to any of my friends ever, all my party who stayed are very upset at the way we were treated but found it very hard to complain as we did not want to feel even more un comfortable than we were made to feel.
All I can finish of by saying is thank god we got home safe from that place. (never again).

Great hotel for family holiday

by TripAdvisor Member owenCornwall

After reading reviews on this hotel i almost canceled. Some seem to love it others hated it. The truth is, it is clean, good food, good variety of food, ideally situated on the beach, 3 nice swimming pools for children, good service, good family entertainment and the resort is really great for families. Some complained about noise from railway but i did not find it a problem, they just made a swoosh sound as they went by.
Only complaint is that the sun boards did not have cushions and the butter tasted more like margarine.
I would have no problem in going back to this hotel we had a wonderful holiday and the children 5 years and 3 years loved it.

NOT a 4 sTar hotel, not even close to a 2 star

by TripAdvisor Member MadeiraMily

This hotel is not a 4 star,OLD OLD 2 stars. I was chocked when I arrived willing to have an upgrade to a suite in order to be better accomodated, but no suites just bad normal rooms. Yes the location is great, front beach and at he back, you have also a promenade with lots of small kiosks for buying nice souveniers etc.
Getting back to the hotel : Food so bad quality, accomodation like a 2 star hotel size of the beds, size of the room. A small detail the lifts are so old that you can be stucked inside every day, or call the 6th floor and schaked by the 5th where the door will open by no reason, I had to climb the stairs every day,.

The staff is nice but on a spanish style like que quieres? etc almost no english is spoken at the restaurant.
Reception this Russian girl all that she wanted was you to leave the hotel at 10 AM even having a voucher that says you can leave until 12 . My request of staying one hour more to enjoy the beach was denied! I'm shocked??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay in this area but on the Mercury or other check the age of the hotels otherwise it will happen the same to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great value, very friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member Baffs

We stayed here for 12 days in June and loved it! Ok, the food (especially dinner) got boring after a few days, but for the kids it was great. Also entertainment for the kids was a lot of fun and they made lots of new friends. The location at the beach was perfect, although the resort of Santa Susanna is a little bit too touristy. But, the train station is just a short walk away and is easy and cheap. Do recommend the city of Mataora, great shopping and only 25 mins by train.
The hotel staff was always smiling and very helpful, friendly and made us feel very welcome. The rooms are ok, and cleaned everyday.
We recommend this place to all our friends here in Norway, and will go back next year!

Another great stay

by TripAdvisor Member boruc01

Well what can i say, been there done that and got the t-shirt twice. Having stayed in the royal sun in may. My girlfriend and i decided to go back for our summer holidays too. Everything as good if not better as may and the weather was excellent. 1 problem the whole trip was our room was so small compared with the 1 in may, as soon as we said to the reception we were moved into a great big room with superb views. thats twice now in 3 months and would go back in a flash, JUST A PITY IVE GOT NO HOLS LEFT!!! dont listen to the moaners, they just cant help themselves!!!

Had a good time

by TripAdvisor Member h0nest22

Our first impression of the hotel was it was nice but definitely not of 4 star level- more of 3 star. On closer inspection of the decor, it could have been better maintained.The majority of the staff were nice and friendly, but the were a couple of them who never smiled when they were serving you. This was very noticable with one of the younger male receptionist which was a bit off putting considering he is one of the first people who you come in contact with on arrival. The chamber maids were very nice and always said hello to us.We were not impressed with the first room we were given. It was on the ground floor opposite the lifts. We are a family of four and the room seemed cramped and did not resemble what we saw on the web site. The room had a hint of fried food smell which was coming from the air conditioning. The view from the window was depressing. We had a view of the underpass!! So disappointed! During the night, we could here other guests using the lift and late-night revellers returning to the hotel which was not good for me becauase I am quite a light sleeper. I asked for a different room the next day and the receptionist honoured my request straight away. The room was on the second level and had a great view of the beach and did not smell. The only bad thing occupying this room was that you could here the very loud music from the neighbouring bar/cafe at night which did not stop until 1-2 O'clock in the morning.
The food was nice and there were a quite a few dishes to choose from. They also had a children's section.
The sand on the beach contained grit which made it uncomfortable to walk on.
The railway track is situated just out-side the hotel and you could see the train go by if you were using the swimming pool. You have to use the underpass or overpass to get the other side of the rail track to get the street of shops that sell all sorts of touristsy gifts.
Apart from the noise issue, we enjoyed our stay in this hotel.

Fab Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member chwink

We stayed here for a week, after reading some reviews i was dreading it, but we had a fab time. The hotel is more of a 3 star, but was extremely clean and 99% of the staff were very helpful and friendly (its that bar man that everyone is writing about that needs to cheer up). I was wary about the food, but it was fine, plenty of choice, even the kids had no complaints, they loved the choices of pudding. They have these mini cakes lunch and tea time that are always presented nicely and the children loved them. There was fresh fruit every day. The day that we went out for the Barcelona tour we ordered a picnic to take with us from the restaurant. We were also leaving before breakfast and they arranged for us to have a breakfast basket to take with us. My son loved the kids club and thought that it was great that he had had his own card for drinks and ice cream.
The beach wasnt really an issue either, yes it does have a slop and it is a shingles beach, but the kids didnt notice and is was great. We were given a room overlooking the railway but didnt really notice it, and we just went through the sub way to get to the main strip. Overall we had a great holiday and would certainly go here again.

very relaxing break

by TripAdvisor Member messagen2

After reading some of the reviews on here,we were dreading our holiday to the Royal Sun.But we have to say we were pleasantly surprised,as we enjoyed every minute there.It is awkward actually getting to the hotel though,when the coach first drops you off,as you have to cross a main road then an underpass(covered in sand from the nearby beach,and was covered in water at one stage),then have to encounter some steps and a lift to just get you to the reception area.After this though it was all very relaxing thankfully.The service was excellent from the majority of staff,especially the receptionists and the housekeepers-who were
always very friendly and professional at all times.It was too cold unfortunately to use either of the two outdoor pools.There is a great hotel snack bar right on the beach,a huge restaurant-serving different dishes to cater for everyone which are regularly replaced,nice entertainment room which overlooks the beach and sea.We took a trip to Barcelona which only cost 6 euros on a lovely train ride along the coast from Santa Sussana Station-which is about 20min walk away.The Royal Sun is located in the best part of Santa Sussana, which is a lovely resort.Overall a very relaxing holiday after initially overcoming an awkward way to get to hotel.Would be great if the TV lounge was made non-smoking as many children wanted to use it.

Great Holiday - Poeple will complain about anything!!!

by TripAdvisor Member OxfordKero

Me and my partner went for a week in October, and we had a fantastic time!! Arival was painless, room was clean and plenty big enough for two!

For your all inclusive you can eat as much as you like, although by boyfriend lived on chips but thats because they were there - hes like a child!!! Nice array of food but the desserts were a little sweet for my taste! Plenty of fresh fruit always available which was really good! Local beer (which is actually really good) and wine and soft drinks are included.

The area is really nice with many local shops to look around, although for the beach bums i'd bring a book as brit newspapers are expensive.

There was some good entertainment n the evenings but as it is off season the hotel wasn't that busy. We did manage to get in for the bingo one night (yes i'm 24!!!!!) and my boyfriend won the champagne and preceded to spill it all over the bar - a little excited!!!!

Well worth a cheap break!!!!

Don't Go!

by TripAdvisor Member gbatey

After reading mixed reviews on this website (I never book a hotel without reading up on this site first!) we decided to go with an all-inclusive option to the Royal Sun as the majority of the recent reviews were pretty good; how wrong we were! When we arrived at the Hotel there was no booking for us (I work in four-star chain of Hotels so I know this does happen!); this didn't matter too much as we knew they had rooms available. The receptionist was surly and had no customer service skills whatsoever-it was as if it was too much trouble that we had turned up without a booking (which it probably was to her but you don't show it!) The other receptionists that we encountered were not too bad thank god! The bar men were rushed off their feet constantly as everyone seemed to be on the all-inclusive option which meant people were making quite a few trips to the bar each night and there was always a queue but again they never smiled and were quite abrupt to say the least! The food-I'm sure that had we not been on an all-inclusive option on a cruise ship before this then we probably thought this was good! Breakfast-fried eggs (hard), bacon, scrambled eggs, fish fingers (?!), cereal, toast, etc. Lunch and dinner - different each day but food was bland and not a lot of choice. Lots of cakes and fruit though for afters. All in all, I couldn't wait to leave today as although the Hotel is in a good location (right on the beach) and if you were to get a sea-view room I'm sure it would be a fantastic view (we had a side view so if we craned our neck to the left you could see the sea). The train line which runs at one side of the Hotel can be heard but it never made so much of a noise to keep me awake. Also, it was pretty quiet when we went but on the last evening there were quite a few people who were obviously taking full advantage of the continuous drinks all evening and then making a noise into the early hours ( we weren't next door to those people so god help the ones who were unfortunate to be!). We spent three nights here and overall I wouldn't go back

Comments