Inglaterra

Expedia.com Booking.com Official Site

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Tracyden's Profile Photo

Modern and clean

We spent two nights at this hotel in March 2009. It was very clean and modern.
    I had read reviews complaining about the noise from outside but we didn't experience this and had a peaceful stay.

The reception staff were very helpful. Upon arrival I realised with a sinking heart and frizzing hair - that I had forgotten my plug adaptor. the reception staff searched their lost property box and found one for me to borrow for my stay....phew And yes I did return it.

On our last night we were left a small bottle of wine and some chocs...brill!

Unique Quality: The hotel has a lovely rook terrace where you can sunbathe - with a phone linked straight to the bar mmmmm Handy!

Directions: Near the top ofLas Ramblas

• Poor Service

We actually didn't stay here but entered to hotel to ask them a quick question (seeing that it was a hotel they might know the answer - we just wanted directions)

Initally the staff were more then helpful, but then asked if were we actually staying at the hotel, at this point they switched to being rude.

This left a sour taste in my mouth, it shows that the staff in question was only being initally helpful of the sake of it. It would only taken 10 seconds of thier time to help and there were no other guests waiting.

Unique Quality: Being Rude

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Central but quiet

This is a very moderm hotel located just a few minutes (walking) from Plaza Catalunya, which connects "Las Ramblas" to Passeig de Gracia.

Rooms are not huge but large enough. Bathrooms are nice and modern.

The hotel staff was extremely helpful and gave us some excellent Restaurant tips.

Although it is very central it is not very noisy as the windows were double-glazed.

We stayed for 3 nights and on the first they were fully booked so we got a room with no view. However they promised to give us one with a view the next day and they did it. The first one was actually slightly larger and had a larger bed, but I preferred the one with the view as there was much more light.

Overall, it was a very nice experience and since we got a great deal on the internet (about 260 Eur / 3 nights) there really are no complaints at all.

Unique Quality: Very modern (I was told it opened or was rebuilt only 2-3 years ago), so rooms are very nice and in good shape.
    Very close to Plaza Catalunya so walking distance from Las Ramblas, Passeig de Gracia, Barri Gòtic, etc.

Directions: Take the Aerobus from the Airport to Plaza Universidad (the stop before Plaza Catalunya) and then it is a 2 minutes walk.
    The Aerobus does not pick up people from Plaza Universidad so on the way back take the bus from Plaza Catalunya.

More about Inglaterra

Building site

by TripAdvisor Member Murf5

Stayed 20-23 March 2005. On arriving met by the sight of a green tarpaulin draped from top to bottom of hotel. Every window view from the hotel was blocked. The sun terrace was unusable as painters/workmen had moved all the chairs and tables to one side and laid out all their equipment on the terrace.Some of the corridors in the hotel were having floors replastered and we had to move rooms after 2 nights as the corridor outside our room had been done. Pretty inconvenient as we were only staying 3 nights. This hotel should not have been taking in guests until the refurbishment has been finished.

The location is great and when its finished it will be lovely but avoid it till then.

Non-smokers beware!

by TripAdvisor Member spug

Should have taken note of previous review on trip advisor. We arrived to find that the entire building was still shrouded in green (when we complained that there should be a warning on their website hotel staff advised that you are able to see through the green covering!). Workmen outside our windows every morning so complete lack of privacy along with the noise that always follows building work. Also very disappointed as we requested a non-smoking room when booking direct through hotel website and they did not inform us that as this is a 3 star hotel all rooms are smoking. As non-smokers we found we dreaded going back to our room as it stank of stale smoke. Would recommend that anyone visiting Barcelona stay nearer Gothic area as this hotel is on a very busy road and is very noisy.

Would recommend

My Husband and I stayed here in October 2004 for his 40th Birthday. The rooms are quite small, but very clean. Staff are extremely helpful and couldnt do enough for us, they even gave my husband a gift for his Birthday. Excellent location, very central for sightseeing. Would definately recommend if you are looking for a clean, central, friendly place to stay

Great hotel - highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member Jezza1

Stayed here for 3 nights in June 2005.

Great location, right next to Rambla. Rooms are quite small, but modern, very clean and comfortable.

We had a room at the front on 3rd floor, and there was some noise from road outside but didn't stop us sleeping.

Hotel has a lovely roof terrace that offers a great sopt to enjoy a beer at the end of the day.

Staff were really friendly.

Bed bugs

Upon checking into the hotel, everything looked great: Lobby, rooms, staff.
After putting away my clothes,etc, I took a twenty minute nap before heading out into the city. As soon as I woke up I had about 10-15 bites on my legs and arms. I thought it was an allergic reaction to the laundry detergent they used, and reported that to the front desk. They were unwilling to even change my sheets. After sleeping there the first night, I woke up with over 60 BED BUG BITES! I was traveling with two other co-workers who did not have a problem. But after calling home and speaking with a friend who had bed bugs before, I realized that was the problem. Again the staff denied that they had a ever had a problem with bed bugs and would not move me to another room. DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 404.

Sidenote, while I was reporting this problem to the front desk, another woman was complaining about her bathroom sink faucet being broken. She had been promised that it would be fixed for the last four days. They refused to move her or discount her bill and recommended that she just brush teeth/wash face in the bathtub faucet. While the desk clerks were pleasant, the service policies of the hotel are unacceptable to me.

Best Birthday / Best Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Gashton75

Eight of us decided to celebrate my 30th Birthday in style and Barcelona was the agreed destination.

We searched high and low for the hotel which met all our requirements - value, location, facilities and cool-ness!!

The decision was made to go for this one, but to be honest, we thought it was too good to be true.

How surprised were we when arrived to find it met our expectations and then some.

It looked great from the outside, the reception looked impressive, the staff were very nice, friendly and effecient, even though we were checking in at 11.30pm.

Our 4 rooms were fantastic, the only slightly downside were that some people might consider them small - we were very happy with them as we weren't intending spending that long in them! We had a corner room, so dual balconies and, due to the double gazing, never heard any noise from the outside. They were immaculate, so pristine and the bathrooms were sparkling & clean.

The roof terrace was a real find, fantastic place to chill out - my only regret was not choosing one of the top rooms and getting my own private terrace.

Location was great - taxi from airport only cost 18 euros, 3 minute walk to La Ramblas, lovely little streets around to investigate for food, bars etc, car park at the end of the street (if needed) and metro stop 30 seconds away.

We didn't eat in the hotel but as it was my birthday, the staff helped my friends organise my "surprise" drinks on the roof terrace.

All in all, this place was an absolute treasure i'd have no qualms in recommending it to anyone (unless they wanted swimming pool facilities).

(PS. Sorry for not taking more photos of the hotel - totally forgot!)

Hotel for next weekend.

by rsilva

Hello,

I would like to know if someone has any good suggestion fo a hotel in Barcelona for the next weekend (21-24 Jan).
I am particulartly interested getting a good, central location for a decent price (not more than 100Eur/night).

I have been doing some research and these are a few that seemed interesting.

Hotel Barcelona Universal