ME Barcelona

Melia Barcelona Sky
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about ME Barcelona

The young and cultural spirit...

by sebooom

The young and cultural spirit of Barcelona was one of great thing for me. Barcelona is , for me, the city of the future. I have in be in Barcelona when the weather was not good for swimming.That's for a next time..

Do the Modernist (Art-Noveau)...

by gasca

Do the Modernist (Art-Noveau) Route, if you want to say that you've been to Barcelona.

Take Passeig de Gràcia up, and on your left you'll see the famous Casa Batlló designed by Antoni Gaudi. You go straight on and on your right you will see the popular named La Pedrera (on the picture, La Pedrera at night) also by Gaudi. At summer nights you can even have a drink inside. I remember orange rays of light dropping as they were reflected on the glass doors of a sport center while I was walking up Montjuic Mountain.
It reminds me Barcelona's warmness.

Brilliant!

by TripAdvisor Member London1922

We just stayed at the ME Barcelona and upon arrival were upgraded to a Loft Suite. Everything was spectacular: gorgeous room, gorgeous views, great staff. The only bad aspect of our staff were a few British guests who seemed to think that everything should be for free (like bottles of champagne in the lounge) and who appeared never to have stayed at a luxury hotel before. It amazes me how people are so cheap: and British guests are notorious for over-indulging. There are too many people staying at the hotel on packages and they treat it like a resort. It's a classy hotel but needs some classier clients.

On the edge...

by TripAdvisor Member Tomas0804

We arrived to ME Barcelona late friday (the 13th!!!) after exhausting journey from Ireland. The first words we heard upon our arrival instead a warm welcome was: " There is a problem with the system, we are overbooked, you have to stay in our sister hotel..." Do believe me that this is the worst way how to start a long planned special holiday with your partner!
What was following was a long, painful and exhausting negotiation and arguing with Front Desk and Sales Managers of the hotel. It turned out that even though our stay was carefully planned, booked in advanced and several times confirmed by 2 different Aura Experience Managers as well as the third party we booked through, all of the 260 rooms of the hotel have been full. The management stated that they have any kind of system issue which caused a coincidental overbooking. It was hard to believe this story as even a day prior our arrival they have been still offering available rooms on internet. Even more suspicious was the fact that the hotel was upon our arrival completely packed by members of any kind of ongoing convention...
After the mentioned nightmare conversation we agreed to be moved to the sister Melia Barcelona Hotel with a strong request to be possibly moved back to our standard sea view room on 19th floor we have been previously confirmed. At this stage I have to point out the customer service provided by Cristina - the national sales manager. She seemed to truly empathize with us and as agreed she called us the next very morning with a positive update. We've got a complimentary upgrade to Level room with all the amenities including the executive lounge as a compensation. This made our day and we finally could start to enjoy our special break.
The first impression of the level room was great. Lovely spacious room, with the latest design and decoration, material, lights and the stunning views on Torre Agbar and Sagrada Familia from 22nd floor. But more we explored the room, more we have been surprised by good few improper and unfinished details. The confusing light system, when by pressing 4 different buttons you always turn on the very same light, broken tiles and door in bathroom, wardrobe which sliding roll-on-doors are blocking the drawers to open - that all you can find in 5 star property.
We used several times the benefits of cosy executive lounge but otherwise our extremely busy program didn't allow us to use any other amenities of the hotel.
The majestic 30 stories tall exclusive building of the ME Barcelona is located in Pere IV which is relatively close to city center. There is a Metro stop just 5 mins, and a tram stop in front of the hotel. It's only 15 mins walk to the sea side and further 20 mins along the beach to the city center, which is a nice tour to do on a sunny day.
Me Barcelona is a new, modern, beautiful property with a convenient location. But I'm afraid that the nightmare overbooking issue welcome and unprofessional behavior of some of the stuff members created a negative experience which is overriding all other pros of this contemporary architectonical building. In my opinion this hotel doesn't provide the service of a 5 star property by far.
It's truly fulfilling it's motto which is " on the edge".
Would I recommend it..hm..do you like to be on the edge...?

Hugely improved ...

by TripAdvisor Member Jan_Bardi

I stayed here two months ago and gave this place a really bad review. The management invited me back and asked me give it a second go. I made it very clear that if I found the same problems they were going to get another bad review. Thankfully, that was not the case and I found things very much improved.

The widely reported drain odour problem has been largely cured and was not evident in our room or any of the public areas. You will just get the occasional faint whiff of it in some corridors. However, that is a major problem tackled and out of the way.

Until a substantial upgrade can be commissioned, there is still a lack of soundproofing between the function rooms and the lower level bedrooms. This property at the weekend hosts very large very loud functions that go on until dawn. If you are a weekend guest and you want peace and quiet you need to insist on a high floor. I am assured that more training is being given to reservation and reception staff to ensure the right guests are allocated the most appropriate rooms. Also, you may find the restaurant closed to accommodate a function.

Last time I visited there were problems with wi-fi or rather, lack of. The hotel boasts free wi-fi in every room. The loops have been increased and so has the amplification. Certainly on this visit, my laptop worked everywhere with a strong signal.

I did not realise that the current owners bought the property from another company just as it was about to open. They have experienced numerous problems with the poor finish in some of the rooms – all of which are being rapidly addressed.

I still think they are obsessed with loud music in this property and they play intrusively loud music in the restaurant and lobby throughout the day. I personally find it off-putting and think it spoils the ambience of a very comfortable and chic lobby. They are reviewing their play lists but whether they also review their volume settings remains to be seen. They still play corridor music but, thankfully, at a much lower volume now. It certainly will not wake you.

On my first visit I did not care for the clear glass partition between the bathroom and the bedroom. I gather I was far from alone in that view and each bathroom now has had a discrete roller blind fitted – hooray, a victory for common sense !

If you can afford it, upgrading to a “Level” room would be good. The Level lounge is one of the nicest club type experiences I have had. The lounge is very comfortable and well equipped with a wide choice of drinks, snacks, seating areas and entertainments combined with stunning views over the city from the 25th floor.

Since my last visit and the appalling reviews that I and some others gave them ME Barcelona has tackled the problem head-on and made remarkable improvements in a very short time. I would not say they are 100% there yet but certainly 90%. The best recommendation I could give is to say that I would certainly return there and I would not be surprised to see it become one of the city’s leading properties in the next few years. One of their biggest selling points in a city plagued by traffic and parking problems is that they are slightly out of the centre and its congestion. Also, they have secure underground parking for 185 cars and are leasing overspill space. This makes it very attractive as a business hotel and conference venue.

Long way to go

by TripAdvisor Member AlanWhickerJR

Not great to be honest.

Previous reviewers commented on the smell of the drains and don't be fooled, this really is a problem. Even in the bar area one evening we were forced to move seats as far away from the bar as possible because we couldn't stand the smell coming from the nearby sinks/drains.

We mentioned this to reception and they weren't surprised at all. In fact it seemed hopeless moving rooms as it seems this might be a problem throughout. Instead, they sent maintenance to have a routine look at the bathroom and leave some oils to burn - obviously becoming a bit of a routine for them.

Although this is a brand new hotel - and therefore is still surrounded by other building work, cranes etc - a lot of the interior already feels tired and dated. It feels like a cheaply refurbished hotel rather than a newly designed and built one.

Location-wise, not too bad. Yes, there is a free shuttle bus into the centre but no, it doesn't operate every day. We found this out by when waiting a while for it to arrive on Sunday before being informed that it only runs Thursday, Friday and Saturday (and even then the driver takes a siesta from 2 til 4 which no doubt ends up being the time you need a lift the most!)

Overall, a disappointing stay but I'd be intrigued to see how the place is doing in a couple of years time. This is why hotels have 'soft openings' I guess and judging from the hit and miss service from the staff, they really have a lot more training and fine tuning to do.

For the moment though, steer clear.

Bad Smell, Hip vibe, but suberbia

by TripAdvisor Member LondonYaz

We had planned to stay for 3 nights, but left after 1 night to move to a more centrally located hotel. Hip, sleek and new with smiling, cordial staff -- this hotel is simply too far from the central sights of Barcelona. This is especially a problem for a weekend trip, and in colder months when swimming is not possible.

The hotel just started a shuttle service that runs hourly. Good thing, because taxi fare to places like the Museo Picasso run about $10 each way. This makes going back and forth to your run a bit pricey and inconvenient.

Some comments on the rooms. Takes a Phd in engineering to work the lighting systems. The rooms smell like a combination of must and ammonia. There really is not storage space for clothing - shelves or coats. If you do go, request a sea view. The other side of the building overlooks vacant lots and communist era style apartment flats, all pretty run-down.

Breakfast buffet and Level Club amenities are great. The pool also seems nice, but we did not use it.

Staff in lobby area is helpful, but all a bit too new to the job, and lacked sufficient training. Level club staff all competant and eager to assist.

For the same price, there are many better hotel options in Barcalona that are better located and deliver an a satisfying experience.

If you are seeking hip that hits on all cylinders, maybe better to try place in NY or London.

This place needs to lift its game!

Europe from the sky

by cadiana88

"Tarragona, Spain"

"Selsey, England"

"Sevilla, Spain"

"Unidentified spanish town"

If you know the name, please tell me!

"Barcelona, Spain"

"Barajas Airport, Madrid, Spain"

"Sitges, Spain"

In love with Barcelona

by loowl

"I love Barcelona"

Barcelona is a very vibrant city. It is a great place with many interesting architecture. Parc Guell, Monsterrat, La Pedrera, Sagrada Familia etc impressed me. Barcelona never bored me as there are many interesting places to visit during each of my 3 business trip - be it the side streets, the markets, and all the grand architecture

Barcelona- Catalunya

by Venturingnow

"A stop in Barcelona"

Spain's second city is now the country's 'hippest' town. Summer gives way to periodic lapses in sanity with week-long fiesta fun. But year-round the city cooks - it's always on the biting edge of fashion, architecture, food, style, music and good times. The buildings, many of which feature the work of an eccentric genius named Gaudí, will blow you away. The art, with significant collections by Picasso and Miró, will make you happy. The people may fascinate you. To me, Barcelona was my last stop in Spain. The city of Barcelona is very well kept, and is a decent mix of urbanization and regular life. Maybe it was a little too concrete for me, but overall the city thrives with a backpacking community that's ready to party. If you're in Spain, it's worth visiting Barcelona for two days. m

What a view? Not me...Barcelona!What a view? Not me...Barcelona!

......

LA PEDRERALA PEDRERA

One of many mimes..One of many mimes..

Costa Brava At Christmas

by allie1904

Hi there :)
I have booked flights to Barcelona for 16th Dec 09 and will be staying 3 weeks in Blanes. I have been to Blanes twice before, and both times experienced two completely different holidays. The first time seemed more quiet, maybe because i was younger, the second I woke up midday everyday as i had been out until the early hours of the morning partying.

This time i will be going with my boyfriend. We are not afraid to 'explore' and travel around, i know it will be out of season so we are not expecting to get an awful lot from Blanes itself. We are both young.

Although i have been there twice I have not seen alot of Barcelona, so i hope to spend time here, as the public transport is really cheap. I have had a look, and a few things i have come accross are:
* Port Aventura
* Aquarium
* Girona
* Zoo?
* La Molina Skiing
I am open to ideas and would really appreciate any ideas, also if you have eaten and drank anywhere nice, also if you have been in the Christmas season before, how was it?

Thanks

by GrumpyDiver

To me, Barcelona is about art and architecture.

1. The work of Antonio Gaudi - Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, etc. These have all been named UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

2. Barri Gòtic - the gothic quarter, with its Medieval buildings.

3. Joan Miró Museum and the Museu Picasso

by mara_sphinx

Sagrada Familia - certainly!!!
Teatre Nacional de Catalunya
Plaza Monumental de Barcelona
So many interesting places))) Enjoy your Christmas!!!

by Badger1492

Well, of course, as always it depends on your interests. For things like Port Aventura you should check the schedules to make sure they are open at that time.

Barcelona is very easy to get around by public transport so you should have no problem. If you want to explore the Costa Brava area and mountains inland, I sugguest renting a car. Blanes is connected to major towns and cities by train so you won't have trouble visiting Barcelona, Figueres, and Girona by train. I have never been to Blanes in the winter, but I imagine that it is all but deserted.

Also, note that the weather at that time in Catalunya is cold, wet and sometimes snowy. I only say that because some people have the impression that Spain (its a big country) is sunny and warm year 'round. Blanes is not Las Canarias. Maybe you already know this.

Anyway, there's still a lot to see. Have a great trip.

Badger

Advice on Spain

by leschia

Hi, i would like to ask which city in Spain is the best to live in? I'll be headed there for an exchange in Jan and i got the option of madrid, barcelona, or valencia. I heard that everywhere is equally unsafe and expensive, but culturally, which place is the best?
i.e the most happening, the most parties, good cultural immersion, better sights.

Thanks!

By the way for those who would want to know about california, here's something i have when i was there last year. HK's coming up because im currently there for the summer.

by Jontxu

I would say equally safe... who told you spain is unsafe????

by Belsaita

as other said, all 3 are equally SAFE, and more or less equally expensive

<< the most happening, the most parties, good cultural immersion, better sights >>

For me: Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia (in that order)

Maybe Madrid will win on nightlife over Barcelona, but with a narrow margin. Madrid as well wins hands down regarding museums

I think Barcelona has more happenings, more alternative cultural events and better sights

Valencia is not only a summer resort, is a quite big city with lots to see and do all year round, but it's not on the same league as Madrid or Barcelona

by jezzabel

valencia is by no means only a summer resort. actually im quite certain than madrid and barcelona receive more tourists than valencia.
out of the 3 cities mentioned valencia is the cheapest to live in. much cheaper, actually (renting a room in a shared apartment or a full apartment cost 1/2 or 2/3 or what it'd cost in madrid or barcelona). but as madrid and barcelona are bigger cities they have more to offer (theater, concerts, etc). i'd say that barcelona has a plus that madrid does not have, and that's the sea. so in brief:
- barcelona: more cultural events + sea
- madrid: more cultural events
- valencia: cheaper city + sea

hope this helps,

P.D, I agree, saying that spain is unsafe wasn't too nice.

by leschia

Hi all,

wow thanks for the advice! its great.

Anyway apologizes for saying that Spain is unsafe. Let me explain. My friend who's on exchange in Netherlands right now just got robbed about 1 week ago in spain, because someone climbed into their room while they were asleep and took their wallets and possessions. Also, when my mum went to Madrid about 3 years back with her company, she told me that one of her colleagues got hit by a snatch thef. That said, i'm sure Spain is such an interesting and fascinating city and i'm so intrigued by the Spanish language that i want to go there for my exchange, and hopefully be able to converse a little in Spanish before i leave.

Thanks so much everyone!