MH Apartments Sants Barcelona

Plaça ReialPlaça Reial

One day In Barcelona

by jrirish

Hi,
My wife and I will be one day in Barcelona pre cruise. While we want to visit the local attractions during the day, we'd like a hotel safe walking distance to restaurants in the evening and away from the bustle of Las Ramblas. Any moderate to upscale recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: One day In Barcelona

by zuriga

If you only have the one day, take advantage of the great tourist bus (there are 3 routes). It's a wonderful way to hit all the interesting must-sees in Barcelona. It's a hop on, hop off bus.

I'm sorry not to know a hotel, as we had to stay near the Convention Centre during a trip to Barcelona. You could look through the recommendations on VT or I always check with www.traveladvisor.com to see the highly rated hotels in a city. I've never gone wrong yet.

Re: One day In Barcelona

by gilescorey

For a hotel, I would recommend you look into the many located in Eixample Dreta(technically North/East of Passeig de Gracia). Though I've not stayed there, there are many AC branded hotels(for example) and the area is quieter than Eixample Izquierda and surrounded by good restaurants, locals and an easy walk to the more bustling areas.

Travel Tips for Barcelona

Bus Tour

by racheljapi

If you're planning on doing the bus tour, do it before any other tourist activity. When you give your ticket to the bus driver they give you a coupon book. This book has discounts for Sagrada familia, the zoo, etc. It's perfect for your days around the city and the savings will save up.

Also, the bus meets up in Plaza Catalunya buy Cafe Zurich. You can purchase your tickets next to Sephora. (PS. Great clothes there!)

Never will you want to leave...

by Pegasus74

Never will you want to leave Barcelona without strolling along La Rambla many times. The Liceu subway station brings you right to the heart of the avenue lined with an interesting array of fresh flower stalls and fabulous fabric vendors. Practically every hour this place is packed with throngs of visitors and numerous crafty pickpockets masquerading as friendly natives. In between Palau de la Virreina and Hostal Parisien, a sax player would jazz throughout the night; not too far away human statues happily scare the hell out of any female passer-by. I couldn't think of anywhere else where the atmosphere is as invigorating as this. My eyes also were always focusing on the varied cuisine those tapas bars offer. They are all over the place and I was just such a gourmand for the 3 days I thought I would be accused of the sin of gluttony.

A tip for the thirsty

by seamandrew

Barcelona has a number of water fountains that connect to the city's drinkable water line. If you're thirsty, you can use one of these fountains as a place to quench your thirst. The water was a bit chalky to me so I decided to buy some bottled water instead. Feel free if you can stomach it. Don't get me wrong, it's completely drinkable, just tastes weird!

My first picture

by DEBBBEDB

This was the first picture I (Barb's son) took in Barcelona. It is of the Bull Ring - there are still bullfights in Barcelona every Sunday througout the summer. However I think it is being turned into something else.

The other pictures are things that I don't know what they are. I took them from the Turistic Bus. One is of an obelisk that looks like the Washington Monument and the statue at the bottom of it.

Don't miss Placa Reial and Gaudi's streetlamps

by dlytle

A little known fact about Placa Reial is that Antonio Gaudi y Cornet (the famous and highly-individualistic Spanish architect who lived from 1852 until 1926) designed its unique streetlamps in the shape of trees when he was still a fledgling architect in 1879.

To decorate them, Gaudi used the symbols of Hermes –two snakes twisted up a staff and a winged helmet—since Hermes had become the patron of the Catalan business community who had set themselves up in this neighborhood.

Ironically, the merchants left the area a few years later

Comments