Santa Susana Resort

Costs 29% less but rated 14% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Santa Susana Resort

holiday from hell

by TripAdvisor Member angelicabubbles

We are just back from the Santa Susanna Resort Hotel, 13/09/06.
It was dreadful.
Located beside a motorway.
If you want to sunbathe, go to the beach, you can't get near the pool, as for the jacuzzi, that's for the kids, I never seen an adult in it the whole time I was there.(simply because the kids never came out it).
The food was awful, the hotel itself, was dark and dingy, the rooms were not clean, no air conditionining, (you could hire fans though). The entertainment was questionable, the staff apart from the reception staff were impolite and had no manners.
We only got our sheets changed once, and that was because I complained.
The best advice I can give you is, (unless you are easily pleased), JUST DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!
It's disgusting.

Nightmare! Beware!

by TripAdvisor Member emthefunkyfairy

We stayed in the Santa Susanna Resort hotel in May 2004 (sorry about the lateness, we only just found out this site!) Looking through the other comments, not much has changed! It was an all-inclusive holiday, the food was ok but nothing special. There were screaming kids running around and parents drinking alcohol from 10/11 in the morning. The entertainment, if you could call it that was dismal. There was pool games in the day and at night kids entertainment. The rooms were'nt too bad. We were completley stranded in the middle of nowere. When you walk out of the hotel, you walk onto a busy motoway, not a safe place for children. There was a "train" that took you to the beach and resort centre, which was free. Dont get me wrong, I am easliy pleased but this was the pits!

The zoo!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Lallyloo

We booked our holiday with Media Travel, on Teletext. We were supposed to be staying at the Al Hambra Hotel (see review) but when we arrived, at midnight, we were told that the travel agent had overbooked the rooms and we were now staying at the 'Santa Susanna Resort'. Being midnight, unfamiliar with the resort, and in need of a bed we took a taxi to our new hotel. This is when disaster struck!! There were some rowdy Brits on our transfer bus who we hoped wouldn't be staying at our hotel. Initially they weren't but then we bumped into them again when we were moved to the 'hell hole'. Yes, they were at the Santa Susanna Resort. My face dropped as soon as we got to the front door. The front terrace was full of drunk Brits, allowing their kids to run wild around the hotel whilst they got stuck into the All Inclusive booze. We got 'tagged' with the blue wrist bands and sent to our room! Extremely basic with a balcony facing out on to a brick wall. No air con, smelt of stinky feet, uncomfortable beds and the walls were so thin, you could hear next door's conversation and their toilet flushing!!!! Breakfast is not even worth mentioning - I coudn't find a clean knife and fork!!! Needless to say we swiftly checked out, got the free bus back to the main street (where we should have been staying!!!) and kicked up a fuss at our original hotel. We eventually got back into our rightful hotel and had a relaxing and enjoyable 2 week holiday in Santa Susanna. Just keep away from that terrible hotel. I don't know how they get away with classing it as 3*. I would say it was unclassified!! To prove my point as to how bad this hotel is, a local ex pat told us that it had been featured on the TV programme 'Holidays from Hell'. You have been warned!!!!!!!

hmmmmmm, mixed opinions

by TripAdvisor Member foxymartin

We returned from Santa Susanna Resort on saturday (my boyfriend 27, myself 35), when we arrived at 9.30pm saturday night it was torrential rain...On first impressions i was impressed. We put our bags into our room, and headed for the bar and the entertainment (no entertainment). This is where i was starting to worry. The place seemed like chavsville...and im definately no snob!! there were an awful lot of kids running around the bar, the corridors unaided till the early hours of the morning. Woke up the next morning to find things a lot more pleasant, food good, always something to eat at meals times, although not much marked out as to what a lot of it is.....but it was very nice either way. The hotel is set back but there is a free bus and train and they are great, but beware during siesta it is hit and miss whether the train turns up, although we found the bus to be quite reliable. The resort itself runs into malgrat which is your typical resort, cheap bars, cheap food all good!!.....the only problem we found was feeling very intimidated returning back to the hotel in the evening by the crowd who had taken advantage of the free ale all day and had become quite rowdy (if your of a nervous disposition, this is not the place for you). The pool area is also very child/teenage orientated so quite rowdy too, but not too bad.......all in all i did enjoy it, but its the rowdy, drunken, angry english that let this hotel down in the evenings, and on more than 1 occassion i saw (and children saw) people vomiting over themselves in the bar through too much alcohol......not pleasant!!. I would go back to the resort but not this hotel, which is a shame as its nothing to do with the running/ cleanliness of the place.

could have been better

by TripAdvisor Member goku

Well it started with an 8 1/2 hr flight delay so when we eventually got to our hotel at 4.30am the family was just glad for a bed.
We got to our room and straight away depression set in. The wall with the light switch on had a 2 inch crack all the way up. The room smelled like stinky feet and I assure you it was not ours, we had'nt even taken our shoes off yet, and when you flush the toilet it sounded like the train just came into your room. When we woke up at 900am because we had people shouting and going outside our room, we went to reception and asked for another room. We were given room 507 which cost us 120 euros
believe me it was worth it. The spanish staff were very helpful.
The food was not to bad the staff made sure your table was clean before you sat down to eat. (watch out for the aisan girl she seems to have a bit of an attitude, espeacially if you ask her to clean your table). We booked a day trip for the Bacelona sports and shopping. I strongly advise people not to take this trip. You are suppose to have 2 hrs at the football stadium. We only got 1hr. We dropped people off at the zoo ( which we did not realise was on the tour ) and the rest of us went shopping. The coach had to pick up the people at the zoo first and then come and pick us up. He got to us and as we got on board we noticed 6 people were left behind at the zoo. The guide had a moan about it and then we went to pick them up. As you can imagine they were not happy. Incidentally the people who went to the zoo were meant to have 4 hrs and they only got 2hrs. When we got back to the hotel some of us complained and asked for our money back but the women who was an english person in reception was no help at all. This was the worst day of my stay.
And now the other small details, The jucuzzi is never cleaned the pool is quite dirty if you want a sunbed forget it unless you are prepared to get up 5.30am and place your towel on the floor and wait until 8.00am for the sunbeds to be unlocked or you can have a fight with someone to get one. The sheets were never changed all the time we were there. The entertainment at the hotel is designed for you to have an early night as it was so boring. The machines for the kids were always out of order ideal if you want to save money. However we did make some new friends so not all bad.

just like alcatraz!!!

by TripAdvisor Member zorbs

please please do not go to this hotel! it is the most disgusting excuse for a hotel we have ever been in. arrived on 26 august and after reading previous reviews were very concerned. firstly the hotel is on a busy main road. secondly i can now understand why us brits get such a bad name abroad some of the guests behaviour was horrendous! on our arrival we were given a ground floor room which wasnt big enough to swing a cat, in the evening there was a rain storm and it seemed as though the hotel was going to collapse! going back to our room downstairs we soon realised that the whole off the ground floor was flooded not only by water but by sewerage too which had gone into every room because we had a wet shower room the cleaners had opened our door and were sweeping the muck into our room and onto all clothes shoes etc on the floor. we complained at reception and were moved rooms after an hour of haggling. my wife wanted to come home there and then but we stayed. the food is awful if you have any sense of taste we survived on toast at breakfast as everything else was in an inch of grease. dinner time was worse we did attempt to eat one evening but had one mouthful each and walked out and from then on ate out the best part of the holiday was going into barcelona which is best done by train ( 6 euros is a bargain) all in all a terrible hotel which reminds me of alcatraz!

hotel ok weather not

by TripAdvisor Member angol

we went to this hotel expecting the worse but it was not as bad as everyone says, the staff at reception were very friendley & helpful,room was clean & fresh towels every day. the food was soso,but edible most days. the weather was horrid we had 3 days of sunshine & then torriental rain & in barcalona they had a mimi tornado. if you want to get a remote control for the tv its 30 euros deposit ,but its not worth it as you can only get bbc world news. would i go back again, no. but that not the hotel its just the resort is a little to quiet for me,as there is not much to do as in other hotels i have stayed in .

by TripAdvisor Member Curly86

I returned from this hotel on Wednesday morning, and have nothing but praise. I travelled with my partner and we stayed for 2 weeks, and though there was bad weather the second week, we had a brilliant time. We read the reviews on this site after booking and went expecting the worst, but it was far from it.

Staff were all friendly and very helpful and couldn't do enough to help. Entertainment was average, there was a quiz and bingo most nights, along with karaoke, shows and games, something for everyone. Also quite a few games during the day such as darts and water polo, though we were hardly there during the day to participate. Lots to do for children, with seperate pool, food and a play area, as well as a mini club everyday.
Food was great with loads of choice. Plenty of salads and hot food, for both adults and kids. I am a fussy eater, and i always went back for seconds! The snacks were excellent to. choice of burgers, hot dogs, chips, cheese burgers, ice cream and toasties during the day and between 21.00 and midnight you can buy pizzas for about 6 euros and toasties for 2 euros.
Pool area was great, plenty of loungers, and beach was about a 15 minute walk away. Little stones though, not sand, so towels and shoes recommended!
The area was quite quiet, but plenty of excursions which can be booked through reception, and train to Barcelona is bout 20 minute walk from hotel and takes an hour to get there, for 6 euro return, so can't complain for that price!
I would recommend the hotel to anyone as there is plenty to do for everyone. Especially good for kids.

Don't know what the fuss is about!

by TripAdvisor Member eightiesreject

Myself and 6 of my mates had a short break at The Santa Susanna to celebrate my 40th birthday.

We had all, individually, read the reviews and were rather concerned. But we needn't have worried!

The hotel was clean, staff were more than helpful, food was good and there was plenty to keep all of us with varying interests happy either relaxing by the pool, shopping or venturing further afield.

We arrived in deely-boppers on 1st night, were dressed in 80s outfits on the 2nd night and by the 3rd night were being asked how we would entertain everyone! The staff, guests and entertainers (once they'd got over the shock of us) all joined in and made it a truly memorable birthday.

Maybe we were those typical Brits abroad, but we had a fab time & I honestly think perhaps some people expect the Earth!?!

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member dolyles

We booked for a 3 * hotel for 2 adults and 1 child (just turned 2), and on arriving with my partner and baby there was no cot in the room which was requested and confirmed when we booked, we then requested this via reception and then told we had to pay 9 euros per night, after paying adult price for my child I thought this was disgusting but we had to pay it as there was nowhere he could sleep in the room. After tasting the food every day, we began to think it should be 1 to 2* hotel as the food was very basic and repetative every day. Childrens food cold and sometimes not cooked right through. The hotel itself also served snacks during the day which consisted of hot dogs/burgers/toasties and chips - snacks were served during certain periods through the day. After evening meal which finished at 9 there was no more snacks. Cleanliness of the rooms was average - the beds was made every day and floor mopped - could not tell when sheets were changed and no notice displayed. Hotel location was approx 10 - 15 mins walk to the centre/beach which was ok, they also had courtesy bus or train which would take you every half an hour which was free of charge. Overall comment average for first time visiting hotel - but would not go back.