Silken Gran Havana

Silken Gran Hotel Havana
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Beautiful in Barcelona

We travelled in July 2009 from Canada to England and were lucky enough to get away for 5 days in Barcelona. We chose the Silken Gran Havana because it was centreal to everything. We were within walking distance to many places that we wanted to visit or we could just hop on the bus with ease from this location. The hotel staff were pleasant and the service was excellent. We requested a room on a floor away from the street noise and were very happy with our room away from ground-level. The roof-top bar, pool and the restaurant were great. The room was elegant, modern and very clean. The restaurant offered fabulous fine dining and the food was superb. We felt very spoiled during our stay and were sad to check out of this fantastic hotel! We highly recommend this hotel for couples or singles wanting to stay in one of the best hotels in Barcelona.

Unique Quality: The piano bar in the lobby was a nice place to relax and take a break. The roof-top patio and pool area is perfect for a dip to cool off and a cold drink while enjoying the city from above! The layout of the hotel is gorgeous and impressive with the open lobby extending to the sky above....beautiful.

Directions: one block over from La Rambla and a few blocks from city center

• Best for Business Travellers

Best for business not for tourist. Bland 4* hotel. Receptionists very nice and helpful bit could not give the place atmosphere. bar deserted at all times. rooms small - ours had a private terrace which was magnificent!

Unique Quality: Pool tiny - but nice decking and lovelly sun loungers

• canaglic's Profile Photo

GRAN HOTEL HAVANA

Unique Quality: It is just north of the Old City, a 10-minute walk from La Rambla, a 10-minute walk from the major works of Gaudi, and convenient for driving and parking. The interior is luxurious wood and green marble, with a glass atrium illuminating the corridors. If you like the neighborhood and are on expense account, the Ritz is across the street

More about Silken Gran Havana

A Frustrating and Underwhelming Hotel

The Silken Gran Hotel Havana was conveniently located in Barcelona but caused us fits with its frustrating and underwhelming service.

It started with checking into the hotel. We had paid extra to reserve 2 hotel rooms with patios. However, the hotel only had 1 room with the patio when we arrived, so one of our rooms was stuck on the "Executive Floor" with no patio. (Note the front desk was not willing to refund our extra payment for the patio-equipped suite even though we clearly got a much lesser room.) On the "Executive Floor", dirty cups, half-eaten pastries, and full ashtrays from the morning were still laying throughout the hallway at 8 pm. Our "Executive Floor" room was cramped, smelled musty, and had a non-working air conditioner. With the assurances of our bellman, we left the room with the air conditioner blasting as we searched for some dinner. Upon our return several hours later, our room was just as hot as when we first arrived. This prompted a call at 1:30 am to the front desk to move our rooms. Fortunately, the new room had a working air conditioner but lacked for any view.

Once we settled in, our next two days were largely uneventful at the hotel. The hotel has a beautiful exterior, a small but pleasant rooftop pool, and a nice bar in the lobby. Also, the hotel is within walking distance of a number of key tourist sights and restaurants / clubs. The location made it a very convenient place to stay.

Two other comments. Please be warned that this hotel is used by cruise ships to house its passengers before their cruises. As a result, the hotel staff is more accustomed to processing large crowds through its doors than making anyone's hotel stay unique and enjoyable.

This hotel staff's attitude was prevelant through our interactions. It seemed we were burdens when we asked for local maps or to call to make a restaurant reservation for us.

Lastly, upon returning home, I found a nasty little surprise on my credit card statement. The hotel had charged me for my two rooms plus added 2 separate charges for "no-shows" by another traveler. I placed repeated calls, sent a fax, and even alerted my credit card company to dispute the "no-show" charges. After a month of daily calls, the charges were properly reversed from my credit card. It was this kind of service that summed up our overall experience...A Frustrating and Underwhelming Hotel!

Excellant Hotel, Good Location

We were in Barcelona in early July and loved our stay at the Gran Havana.
The staff were friendly and gave wonderful dining reccommendations. The rooms were clean and the pool, although small, was nice. We felt we were in a great location because we were 3 blocks away from all the action. (It was very loud near the main streets.) We loved walking everywhere and just taking in the ambience of the city. I give it 5 stars.

Great location & value

by TripAdvisor Member Patch01

The hotel is very charming and takes on the modern architectural feel of Barcelona. The room itself is small, and leave a good deal to be desired. However, the enormous balcony we had and the modern bathroom did balance that out. The restaurant was very good. The location is in a very central and safe neighborhood, and allowed us to easily walk to most attractions.

It's OK

by TripAdvisor Member AlanLee

I would not say that this was a 4* hotel. Perhaps for a Spanish hotel, but this is questionable. Having stayed in Spain many times before I can confirm that finding a good hotel is very hit and miss. Be aware that star ratings are not the same as the U.K. Infact I once turned up at a 1* hotel in Seville and it was one of the nicest hotels I have every stayed in. Having said that, the reception staff were helpful. Their English is not great and they cannot tell you even basic things like train information to the airport. They mistakenly told me that you could get a direct train from Passages de Gracia to the Airport. This is totally incorrect and you have to change either at Barcelona Sants or another station further down the line. This was a major inconvenience, and for something so basic, the staff should be trained to know such information. They also did not understand what a "wake up call was". Please be aware that if you take one of the better rooms on the 6th floor they are all smoking rooms and are smaller because the balcony will reduce the room size. Of course you are not told this. Also, our 6th floor room was sold on the internet as non smoking, I had even called to check the booking a week before this was confirmed by the manager. We complained and were offered another room on the 6th floor which was OK. We could have moved to the 4th floor which is a designated non smoking floor. On the plus side the lad in reception who arranged the move could not have been more helpful and apologetic. Room service is very poor and resulted in a 40 minute wait for coffee. This is unacceptable in any hotel let alone 4*. Having said that I went to the bar in the evening and the barman remembered my room number, apologized and gave me a free beer. He never charged the coffee to my room. Would I stay here again? Well nothing really major to complain about, but I would most certainly try harder to find something better next time around. I would not recommend anyone paying more than 150 euro a night, so shop around.

Great value for £££ !

We stayed there at the end of July & were really pleased we'd chosen this hotel. It's in a great location, only about 4 blocks (10/15 mins walk) away from La Rambla & about 20/25 mins from some great gay bars & restaurants. (recommend Castro & Miranda both on Casanova & Dietrich on Consell de Cent)

The room was clean & spacious, the bathroom was lovely & the shower was fabulous, so powerful ! The decor throughout the hotel was great & all the staff were friendly & helpful.

It seems that the Havana is one of only a few hotels that boasts a rooftop terrace & it was lovely being able to cool off in the pool & relax after a hard day's site-seeing. Although the terrace was small, we had no trouble finding sunbeds & there was always a supply of fresh towels for the guests.

Excellent standards overall, well done Havana !

Central location, nice price

by TripAdvisor Member zeppgirl

This hotel is modern, clean, and centrally located. The pool, located at the top of the hotel, was refreshing and provided some good views of the city. The staff is helpful.

Spain is Wonderful

by thall89553

Spain is a magical place. As my twenty two day exursion was coming to an end, I had realized that perhaps I had saved the best for last. I would first arrvive in a very ancient village that was once surrounded by a moat. There, in this village called Peratallada, my hotel for one most memorable night would none other than that of a castle. Standing prominently in the village, this castle has been converted into an extraordinary hotel. After departing the next morning, I headed for Barcelona Spain and to two of its nicer hotels, the Gran Hotel Havana and the Hotel Ritz. I had two fantastic days there as well. (for more of my trip to spain, visit www.europewithasmile.com )

few questions

by zyxos

Buongiorno

will spend the easter weekend in Barcelona and I ahve few question as mylonely planet is probably still in my old sister house in BCN where I left it 3 years ago....:)

I will arrive at the airport around 1915 on Friday 25 and have to reach the Silken Gran Havana in Gran Via Cortes. What's the best way to get there without wasting money on a taxi?

My flight back from BCN on monday morning is very early! 835 how long it would take to go back at the airport?

Do you have any info about this hotel? any sort of info will do!

Is there any particular detail I need to be aware of being there on easter?

Thanks a lot!

Mauro

RE: few questions

by listenandlearn

When you find the time, get into our homepage as we had spend time explaining commuting from The Airport to the Centre, the Cost, the advantage of taking the train as well as time element.
About the Gran Havana Hotel, we don't see anything wrong with it, it has good reviews. Again your next enquiry about your flight back from Barcelona, departure of 08:35, should the day be on a weekend, remember trains are slightly slower or lesser than week days, in a taxi from Gran Via giving yourself at least two hours prior to departure time, let's say 0600, it would take you about 25 minutes maximum to the airport, remember, we don't have traffic that early.
Best to check our homepage as it would help you a lot more. have a wonderful time here in Barcelona.

RE: few questions

by daruthie

Here's a link to a page showing you where your hotel is (the blue dot on Gran Via) and the nearest metro and train stops (hope it works!)

I think it's probably easiest to get a train from the airport (if you buy a T-10 pass [for ten 1-way journeys within zone 1] at the airport train station you can use it to get to and from the airport and around Barcelona during your stay).

Get off the train at Plaça Catalunya and walk up Passeig de Gràcia for two blocks. Cross Gran Via here, turn right and head down Gran Via for three blocks. The hotel should be on the corner of the next block.

Have a good trip!