The Praktik Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about The Praktik Hotel

Balcony?

by TripAdvisor Member Hegu

We booked the hotel Praktik after carefully studiyng different alternatives, and also after having read all positive reviews of the Hotel.

The main pluses were location, air condition and balcony. However, and noing that the rooms are small, we got a room without balcony (414) even though we booked months earlier and especially requested a room with a balcony. The air conditioning was not working properly as well, but that is i minor problem. I did get very disappointed though.

Since I am at the moment travelling around Spain and have done all bookings months in advance, I now find my self again at the Praktik. I was quite sure that this time, after arriving early in the morning, I will get a room with a balcony. But no. Room 514 lokks exactly like room 414. I will be back at the Praktik again in a week, perhaps then i can get room 614 or 314, which also does not have balconys?

If so, this is the last stay here. Only the balcony can make up for the extremely small room. And after having said that, all romms 314-614 seems to be spare rooms since they are not marked with a room number but "lounge"... Well, for 70 Euros per night, I would be able to find a better hotel.

Does what it says on the tin...

by TripAdvisor Member doobeydoo

We stayed at the Praktik for 2 nights. The hotel is in a great location to access the rest of Barcelona, but without being a noisy location.

It was small, but clean. The shower was good and the towels enormous. The bed practically filled the room, but was very, very hard. I slept on top of one of the pillows. But if you like a firm matress, then this is the place.

The rates are great and the hotel is unpretentious - excellent base for a sightseeing weekend.

a 5 star hotel in the budget category

by TripAdvisor Member Steven6008

I booked The Praktik because of the rave reviews I found on a site for budget hotels. I was not disappointed: very centrally located, rooms were indeed compact and simple, but modern, very comfortable and clean + TV and airco. And above all very reasonably priced. There was some mention of noise, but I was lucky in that I had no problem in that respect. Special mention should go to the very friendly & professional staff, and specifically a young man named Jonathan. Would recommend it very highly to anyone not requiring accommodation with all "the trimmings" !

Steven

BARCELONA'S BEST KEPT SECRET - FOR THE UNPRETENTIOUS TRAVELER

by TripAdvisor Member CHE-BETO

I recently spent a wonderful 13 night stay at The Praktik. The
minimal accommodations were just perfect. I booked a room for one person that was clean, comfortable with air conditioning and a small flat screen TV that was mounted on the wall.
Friendly housekeepers cleaned the room and made my bed
every day. A new set of towels would be supplied daily. I kept my valuables in my room at all times. When I left for the day I simply
made sure to lock my suitcase and I never had a problem.
Front Desk staff was personable and helpful. There is a
Metro station around the block, taxis are everywhere as are buses. There is same day Laundry service about a block away, but you must drop it off early and pick it up before 2PM.
There is no pool, but you can take the #17 Bus in PLAZA
CATALUNA that will take you to Barceloneta Beach. If you have a
problem with sand then you can opt for swimming at the
Aquatic Club (located on the beach) where for approx. 10 Euros
you can gain entry for a 12 hour stay. There are both indoor and outdoor Olympic size pools, lockers and a cafe. You can come
and go as you please during the 12 hours - just remember to save your entry ticket..
I have traveled extensively and stayed at so called 4 Star hotels
and I've come to the conclusion that I don't need to spend al that
money to enjoy a marvelous city like Barcelona. You don't need
pricey accomodations to enjoy the museums, great restaurants,
historic architecture and everything else this city has to offer.
I am very glad I discovered The Praktik. I hope to stay there again and again. If you are an adventurous, unpretentious, down to earth world traveler I recommend it highly.

Alberto
oscarbeto@aol.com

Nice, Clean, Central and all you need for a short stay

by TripAdvisor Member Groentje

We stayed in The Praktik for 3 nights (3 persons, two double rooms) It's a modern hotel with relatively small rooms, but large beds and a very nice rain-shower. All in all, a very nice hotel considering the price and the central location.

The lounge can be used to sit down with some other guests or use the internet (free of charge). The Hotel has a nice terrace as wel, perfect if the weather is nice.

We made use of the breakfast offer of The Pratik, to eat at Tapas Tapas (6,- per person), which was okay and not too expensive for Barcelona. It might not be enough for everyone though.

Downsides: The doors are not really sound proof, so you can hear what happens on the corridor (in my case, two technicians repairing a door lock at 09.05 AM after a night of clubbing). The second thing: The room of my friend smelled rather strange sewage-ish, but that was solved by opening the windows.

I would for sure recommend this hotel!

Exactly what we wanted

by TripAdvisor Member k_panag

We stayed at the Praktik from October 23rd till October 28th (5 nights). The rooms were exactly like the photos on the website and yes they are a bit small but actually it's the bed that is very very large. By far the largest we have ever slepped on and very comfortable with 4 pillows !!! Nice shower with plenty of hot water and good pressure. Very large towels that were changed daily. Some hooks could have been very usefull (especially in the bathroom for hanging towels). Room inside is basic and minimal style. The double rooms facing the road were very bright but were a bit noisy (it didn't bother us at all ...). The double rooms on the back side of the building are exactly the same size but have a small veranda looking towards the patio (in our opinion not worth the extra money unless someone needs the extra silence). Coin machines on ground floor and very convenient luggage lockers (our flight was at 22.30) and toilette for use after check-out. Nice little lounge with two pc's free internet. Also nice patio where you can sit outside if weather is good. Check-in and out was very easy. Hulia and Jonathan were very helpfull.
Walking distance to Passeig de Gracia about 5 mins and to Placa Catalunya and beggining of Ramblas 10 mins.
Metro Station Girona (L4) right around the corner and also Metro Station Tetuan (L2) two blocks away turning left.
A very clean basic and nice hotel which is very convenient due to its good location with two metro stops very close, many sights in walking distance and a very good price.
Would definetely stay again and keep my money for spending on food,drinks,clothes and souvenirs.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rich069

Really nice stylish hotel in a good area , the room was clean,well presented with a big comfortable bed, nice bathroom and balcony . the price was great value and I will definitely stay here again! I wish that the owners would open similar hotels in other european cities.

Great value!

by TripAdvisor Member silverwolf22

Within walking distance to Casa Batllo and La Rambla and the shopping along Catalunya, around the corner from a metro stop - could this location get any better? The rooms were small, yes, but most rooms in Europe are tiny. Loved the old-school feel of the iron wrought balconies and tiled floors. There is free internet and a sun deck, and reception was always professional and helpful. The airconditioning wasn't perfect, but it worked, and after two weeks of backpacking around Spain, my mate and I loved just having cable tv, and our own bathroom! For under EUR100 a night for a twin room this place is great value.

couldn't have asked for more

by TripAdvisor Member regjop

we were filled with a little trepidation when booking this hotel, but needn't have worried at all. whilst it was a little more "shabby chic" than we'd anticipated this did add to the character of the place. The rooms are small and are totally dominated by the HUGE beds, but they are at worst comfortable, the shower was also enormous and excellent, the towels were almost as big as the shower!

The location, as mentioned in other reviews, could not be better IMO. Approx a 10min walk to the Place de la Catalunya and the start of La Rambla and 5 mins to the Passieg de Gracia with all it's up-market shops and restaurants.

The staff were friendly, helpful and courteous. For the price i would say you couldn't do much better

Exactly what we wanted

by TripAdvisor Member m0nypnny

My partner and I booked this hotel as we were sightseeing and exploring Barcelona for a few days. We felt the price and location were ideal for our needs and I would agree with this.
The room was smallish but the bed was huge! It was comfortable enough and we had fresh sheets and towels everyday. I loved the tiled floor and we were lucky enough to have a balcony, I wouldn't have liked it so much without as the room was pretty dark so having this helped let much more light in.
Best feature of the room was the shower - it was fantastic - but the bathroom door did not close properly which we ddn't mind too much but may be a problem for others.
The only issue I have with this hotel was that we couldn't exactly get in when we arrived. The door is a big sliding glass one and this was closed with no one manning the reception, though we pressed the buzzer. We were starting to panic after 10 mins of standing outside (tired and hot) and eventually after ringing their telephone someone must have heard and came to let us in. The lady on reception was very courteous and helpful though so I have no complaints about the staff.
This hotel is ideal as a base for exploring the city, it is clean, modern and comfortable.

Accommodation in Barcelona

by juliefiona

My daughter and I will be travelling to Spain for 10 days in May and will be staying in Barcelona for 3 nights. We are looking for some centrally located accommodation. We're not interested in expensive 5 star hotels but moreso budget type accommodation, even hostels would be ok so long as it's clean, friendly and has a nice feel to it. Quirky and different is ok too. Budget to medium price range is our choice.

by rkall

So, you are looking for budget type accommodation in Barcelona.
There are several budget hotels in Barcelona. You may choose one from The Budget Praktik hotels and Barcelona Ramblas budget hotel. Both are good hotels and also found very good reviews over the internet. The Budget Praktik is centrally located hotel with good friendly staff.
Also you may refer this website for further information of budget hotels:

Thanks fugu...

by henry14

Hotel Lloret at the top of la rambla, by Playa Catalunya is worth looking at. Reasonably priced, especially for its location.

by unaS

I stayed in a great budget hotel very well located less than 5 minutes walk from Plaza Catalunya. Marvelous staff. A number of other VTers have stayed there and liked it - that's how I found out about it too :)

Hotel Urquinaona: http://www.hotelurquinaona.es/index_eng.htm
Full details on my Barcelona page tips, Hotels & Accommodations.

by juliefiona

Thank you so much to everybody who responded to my queries...I never imagined I'd have so many responses from so many people. Your ideas have been far more helpful than all the travel books I've been wading through.

by punchy

A last tip (matbe late): Arthostal.com, Born area, or Hostalribagorza or Hostal Girona. In low season rates ar between 50 and 60 euro the double rooms.Greetings.

by randomtravellinggirl

Hello!

have you thought of an apartment? I've lived here a long time now, and when I got married all my friends came over and stayed in centric locations. Especially those with kids, since it allows you the freedom of staying in, cooking and more space. My family all stayed in visit all the world apartments (barcelona.visitalltheworld.com) and were really happy with them. They d├ęcor was lovely and the price was really good.
Hope that helped!
Have fun! :)

by Angel_6661981

Hi,

here you can find cheap daily apartment in Barcelona near Boqueria Market http://www.barcelonarealestate.es/ there were 4 of us and we rented a big clean 2bedrooms apartment close to Las Ramblas by 120 per night for all 4 persons including all. Or you can try to find smth else.

about cheap eating dirtcheapbarcelona.com/eat/cheap-eats-ee

and to have a rest http://www.spanish-fiestas.com/barcelona/restaurants.htm

Small hotels / Hostels in Barcelona - URGENT

Hi guys,

I urgently need a recommendation for a place to stay in Barcelona as from January 15th (Small Hotel / hostel) - until January 20th.
The most important thing for us is Inetrnet Connection and not too far
from the center.

Thanks for your Help !
Sharon.

by welshwanderer

Hi,

I loved the following place when I stayed in Barcelona, not sure about Internet though:

:-)

Small hotels / Hostels in Barcelona - for mid' February 2009 - URGENT

Hi Guys,

Of course i meant to February 2009 and not January !
Sorry and will be happy for any help.

Thanks,
Sharon.

by freland

I cannot recommend any, came across Praktik Hotel reading forum
just want to say there is a GSM fair these dates,
so I'd book/catch anything you can afford
('us' - an apartment may work for a group)

Good luck!

Thanks.
I know....thats the whole point...this trip is for the GSM fair :-)

He he he , 55ooo +1,2,3,4 ?

by freland

I know it is still not a recommendation but
Have you tried booking centres like
www.barcelona-on-line.com ?

Thanks.
I'll check it out though there are so many sites like that
and im wishing for personal recommendations :-)

by cmbarc

It was a couple of years ago now, but I stayed in a really nice apartment through friendlyrentals.com. I can't remember the exact price, but at the time it thought is was very reasonably priced (was a couple of years ago though)

Might be worth taking a look?

Thanks

by Sharon

Thanks, will check it :-)

Acommodation for 12 people

by cekomkd

Can anybody give me information for a budget accommodation in Barcelona for 12 people?We are looking 6 double rooms.We plan to stay from 16 January until 21 January.Hotels,hostels,private accommodation.....Thanks

by Ginzarella

Hi
I think your best bet would be to try www.grouple.com. They are a hotel booking site for group travel. Because you are a group you often get better rates or perks like free breakfast. Good Luck

by lostsooner55

You might look at www.hostelworld.com. They have quite a few listings in Barcelona. Gary

by LeeGonzo

Ah! If only it were a month later.

My sister and I have long been frustrated by budget accommodations in Europe, namely Spain, and have decided to open up a place of our own called Somnio Hostels. We're starting in the center of Barcelona and will be opening the doors to our new hostel (pension by Spanish standards)but not until March.

While we're not open yet, we're already here to make your trip more enjoyable. Feel free to check out our website (www.somniohostels.com) with plenty of information on the area and recommendations for off the beaten path restaurants, events, and parties. Until we're open, check out Hostal Gat (Gat Xino or Gat Raval) and The Praktik. Both are hostel/hotel hybrids like our own and while the rooms are small, they're clean, well located, and cheap. It's a step above your typical hostel.

Buen Viaje!
Lee

by joebenelli

Hi
I lived in Barcelona for three years and I had lots of friends visiting from all over the world. If you are staying for couple of days, then Hostal accomodation is ok . If you are staying 3 nights or longer I would suggest to rent an apartment (or two since you are 12!!) I was using a good agency (I think still operates) with good prices and good apartments location. Have a look: www.pillowapartments.com
Otherwise I would suggest Hotel Banys orientasl en calle princesa. Good Luck!

by virtualpatrick

You can try searching these sites to see if anything fits your requirements:
barcelona30.com
venere.com

You should also expand your search to include apartments.

patrick

by jhoolko

I liked both of these places. The first is an apartment rental (we had 5 people in ours, 150/night) and the second is private rooms with two beds, some ensuite some not for 50/75 per night. i was super satisfied with both of them, esp. the locations!

www.inside-bcn.com