Placa de la Rosa dels Vents, 1, Barcelona, 08039, Spain

Expedia.com W-Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 51% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• The best view in Barcelona

The hotel was great, it's enprmous and the view is great. You can see all Barcelona. The hotel is situated next to the sea and next to the harbour. The service was good and the room was fantastic.
    I recommend.

Unique Quality: Great views, great room and great services.

Directions: At the final of the harbour.

More about W Barcelona

W Barcelona - An avantgarde masterpiece

by csordila

Barcelona is well-known all over the world for its surreal designs by Gaudí and Miró but now has another avantgarde masterpiece - the unmissable sail-shaped W hotel building which is an eyecatching 26-storey skyscraper on the Barcelona coastline.

The creator of this vast vision of shimmering glass is the Barcelona-born post-modern architect Ricardo Bofill, who also has designed Barcelona’s new airport terminal recently.
The commonly known “Hotel La Vela” for its distinctive shape has a perfect location in Bocana Nova at the southern tip of the La Barceloneta beach, where Gaudi's city meets the Mediterranean Sea.
The hotel sits on the tip of a peninsula, so it seems at the first time as if it would be somewhat isolated from the actions of the city.
But it is not so! Barcelona W has a direct beach access, to promenade of La Barceloneta, within walking distance of the beaches pristine and the world famous La Rambla promenade. First class restaurants in Port Vell are only a stone's throw away.

However, if you want to experience the hotel, you have to start saving your money.
The cost of one room start at 300 €/night and go as high as 900 €/night, which is equal to the monthly amount what an unemployed worker receives. Let’s hope it is worth it.

Barcelona’s new landmark, with huge potential!

by TripAdvisor Member ivo_k

W Barcelona is going to be THE signature hotel of Barcelona. Located in a perfect place just on Barceloneta beach. The location of W Barcelona is perfect. Yes there is a bit of a walk from life, but the weather in Barcelona is fantastic, and the area is so clean and well lit at night, is was so nice to walk along the beach on the way to some brilliant restaurants in La Barceloneta Area (Barceloneta Restaurant is the best there, also Can Majo on the beach and a little bit further “7 Portes” the oldest restaurant in Barcelona – all seafood venues).

The taxis are so cheap in Barcelona – €5 – €10 can get you almost anywhere, and I do not understand how some people complain about location!

The hotel is known for Barcelona taxi drivers as “Hotel Vela” – which means that the hotel is like a sailing boat. The hotel has brilliant design, it is really very cool. W Barcelona have stunning views of the beach as you can see from the pictures, every room have a gorgeous sea views. We stayed at the Wonderful room on the 15th floor and the room is gorgeous.

The amenities in the bathroom are from Bliss (as the huge Bliss spa in the hotel)
We really liked the Signature Restaurant - Bravo 24 de Carlos Abellan – the breakfast is so delicious. Great breakfast and Mr. Carlos Abellan personally have supervised himself the breakfast. (Carlos Abellan has worked for 14 years for Ferran Adria – the famous boss of the legendary “El Bully” – known as the best restaurant in the world.). When we visited in November Bravo 24 was not yeat opened for dinner (unfortunately for us)
The other cult place is the Eclipse, a fabulous night bar on the top of the hotel (rooftop lounge), which is really cool, just remember that Saturday nights to go there you really need a reservation and the que to enter the bar is huge in the lobby of the hotel.

We were visiting the hotel for my girlfriend birthday with some friends and the concierges of W Barcelona have delivered beautiful bouquet of red roses in my room according exactly to my instructions.

The only reason I did not give the hotel 5 stars is because of the service, which is still not so organized, and I think this was the only drawback we had. Somehow this is not the smooth W machine we have experienced with my girlfriend in February this year at W Maldives. But I think this was mainly to the fact that the hotel was only opened for 40 days, so I hope they will work things out. I really wish them to do, because this without a doubt is going to be the best hotel in Barcelona.

All in all it is brilliant hotel and I fully agree with the previous reviewer KCS from Zurich, Switzerland that surely things will settle down it will only get better and become the right place to stay in Barcelona. I also agree that the charge for WIFI/internet is very high especially for what you get there. The 24 hours internent access in the room is €20 and that is too much, especially that the internet was so slow. For €20 the internet should be the fastest in the Earth ! I hope for my next stay the hotel managers will fix that issue.

And one final note when in Barcelona do visit also Montiel restaurante if you look for romantic and deicious food and great wines.

Design ... nothing else !!!! Disappointing and not professional.

by TripAdvisor Member JordiReus

When booking nobody spoke catalan ( proper and official language in Catalonia). Once pressed the english option book was carried out.
Once in the hotel, was hard to be understood in catalan.
Although there wrere thousands of applicants to W BCN Hotel jobs in time of crisis, they could not find people in Catalonia who speak catalan???
At the arrival to our room (about 7 o´clock) I phoned room assistance because some pieces of broken glass where on my carpet ( and also some more stuff not wiped out). My friends have a one year old baby. It was dangerous.
At 9 o´clock, none came. I told that to reception desk when we went out for dinner. Once back, pieces of glass where still there. I came down to reception explaining the same.
At 12 o´clock next day, none had come.
In addition you have to pay for free items in five stars: slippers/ flip-flops ( 30 € two pairs ) and mineral water ( 4 € half a liter ); you will need it as they have disgusting tap water.
Room service was incredibly expensive.
If you have a pet be ready for 125 € a day !
There is nothing around in about 1 mile, so prepare your money for a taxi every time you think in going out.
Goodbay W Barcelona! I will never be back !.

Beautiful, chic hotel, but smells of PERFUME

by TripAdvisor Member buzzthemonkey

I stayed here for three nights while on a business trip. When I arrived, the room smelled of perfume, which I thought was strange. I was pretty sure they sprayed my room since on the second day, the smell was stronger than on the first day. I also asked the front desk and they confirmed it. Apparently, they have a policy where they spray the entire hotel, including the carpeted hallways and the rooms!

OK, this may not bother you, but I hate the smell of perfume, strong stinky perfume. I mean, who the heck does this?

Regarding the hotel and rooms, I thought they were beautiful. Think neat, chic, Ian Shrager style. The views of the ocean are also spectacular. Overall, I thought the rooms were not very clean. This is surprising to me since the hotel is so new, approximately 2 months old at this point. However, I can already see mildew building up in the shower. In the sink, which is rectangular and has sharp corners, there is dirt buildup. Also, someone must have spilled a red colored soap or liquid under the mirror since it's still there, like about a few inches of red stain. It's not a big deal, but the point is that they really don't do a good job cleaning. Additionally, the shower, which is a tile shower with no bath, where you stand and shower right on the tile, kind of appears as though nobody really scrubs it. It's black tile, so you may not be able to tell, but I noticed there's white residue in some areas.

Lastly, the doors to the shower and bathroom are made of tinted glass, which is pretty neat. There are fingerprints on them.... Again, doesn't look like anyone is wiping this place down.

That last thing I'd like to point out is that there are alot of little lights in the room. In almost every corner - underneath the bed, behind the mirrors, under the sink, in the corner of the room, under the curtain... At night, it is a pain to figure out every friggin switch. Some switches are so tiny and hidden, you'll find yourself looking all over the place. On the first night, it must have taken me 5 minutes to turn off the lights. It may have been easier to just take out the card key from the thing at the door. That would have shut all the lights out.

Other than that, it was a good stay. It is certainly not a 4 or 5 star hotel. I'd rank it a solid 3.5 star, with a 2 for cleanliness. I checked out the rooms at Hotel Arts on this trip since a friend was staying there and now, that hotel is really nice. Rooms are beautiful, hardware is top quality, everything appears much cleaner. I'd like to caveat that I was only in Hotel Arts room for about 20 minutes.

On my next visit, although this was a neat stay, with a beautiful view of the ocean, I will stay somewhere else given that the value you are getting for what you are paying is not that great. Plus, it is not a 5 star hotel.

I would recommend staying at the W Barcelona if you can get it for under 160 euros, since that would be a great deal. Any more than that, I would just hunt elsewhere.

Hotel with the WOW factor

by TripAdvisor Member Aquarice

Brand new hotel. It just opened in Oct, 2009. The hotel's architectural design, hotel interior design, room design etc all had wow factors. We were upgraded to a corner room, so had an amazing sea view. However, the hotel’s WAVE restaurant food was only so-so – esp. for the price which they charged. The Eclipse is a beautiful lounge situated on the 26th floor of the hotel with magnificent views. Excellent service by the concierge, bell boys & receptionists. Free wi-fi in the lobby area. Definitely would love to stay here again on our next trip.

5 min cab ride to La Rambla or Drassanes metro station. 10 min cab ride from Placa de Catalunya where the airport bus stops.

Wouyld never stay there again

by TripAdvisor Member trvl89

Amazing building and facilities compeletly ruined by the horrible service and horrible location. Unless you are going in the summer and want to go to the beach then find somewhere else to stay. The hotel is at the end of the beach by itself. Closest restuarant is a 20 minutes walk. Entire front of hotel looks over a construction site. Worst front desk staff ever - expect to spend an hour checking in or getting a question answered. I've seen better housekeeping at a motel six.

Such a nice building Such a disapointed W Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member GORAH

The location of the hotel is a bit far from the center , we always had to take a taxi as not possible to walk and just to take the bus was impossible . The location is very far from las Ramblas or for the Puerto olympico . As we enter the bulding it just open 1 week ago. Such a nice bulding such a poor service . I'v never seen this in 10 years of my travel agency life. Bad service , bad rooms not practical at all. i know that the review is very different from one to another . But open yur eyes yu guys from US . This is not EUROPE . and we we asked someone to speak they just answer in english .. we are in SPAIN.
Breakfast 45 minutes queue , 25 minutes for a coffee .. etc

The W, what an experience

by TripAdvisor Member donfelicio

Trendy, hip and relaxing. The hotel is beautifull, and right near the best spots in Barca. Great club on the 25th floor, love the vision behind the hotel. This is what an hotel experience should be, goes beyond product/service!

Wonderful rooms though lots of add-on costs

by TripAdvisor Member KCS

On the positive side this hotel is wonderfully designed. Our corner suit was the best room I have ever stayed in and with a spectacular view thrown in. The lobby is fun and vibrant - somewhere where you want to spend some time and hang out. At night it is more darkly lit with loud music and you could forget you were in a hotel.
The staff were all really helpful - we had a problem with our room which was seen to straight away. Very polite and helpful all around and as this is Spain tips are not expected.
The gym was the best I have seen in a hotel and wonderful views-
You must go to the bar on the 26th floor - great drinks, great ambiance and amazing view

My niggles were with the cost of "extras"- It constantly frustrates me that hotels charge for WIFI / internet. These days it should be a basic provision like a TV. The cost was 20 euros a day. I later found out there was free wifi in the lobby.
One of the reasons I chose this hotel was for the Bliss spa as we have been to Barcelona many many times this was a relaxing weekend so I thought a nice way to wind down at the end of the day in the steam room or sauna. From what I had read on the web I was expecting to use these facilities but alas no, they cost 20 Euro's a day unless you are on the correct package.
Water in the room was 4euros and many hotels of this and lower classes in Spain would provide a bottle free.
We had lunch in the Wave restaurant - two sandwiches, two cokes and water cost 70 euro's - now that is fine if the quality is good but the sandwich (chicken) was way less than average and the pork sandwich was just average. Would not do that again
The bedroom did not have a hotel guide in - these were distributed to rooms during our stay. I wanted to check out the restaurant menu's and even the concierge did not have the menu for the 1st floor restaurant. It was new but that should be no excuse for not having promotion material available.
By accident discovered free wifi in the lobby but it was so slllooooowww

Regards location - I like it. Sure it is a bit of a walk from life but so nice to walk along the beach in the morning then to the metro. Taxis are cheap and used them for evening trips. I jog and and is so wonderful to step outside and run along the beach front. I am sure in the summer there will be less negative reviews about the location.

I really enjoyed my stay and would look to go again next time I am in Barcelona and I am sure that as things settle down it will only get better and become the in-place to stay.

Comments