Hotel Horitzo

Hotel Horitzo
Booking.com Priceline.com Otel.com

Rated 18% higher but also costs 54% more than other 4 star hotels

More about Blanes

having a happy stretch in the sunhaving a happy stretch in the sun

Mar i MurtraMar i Murtra

Amusement for small peopleAmusement for small people

Cycling from Blanes to Lloret de Mar

by EddyG

Can anyone please tell me the time and distance and the easiest (ie flattest) route to cycle from Blanes to Lloret de Mar. I am not a cyclist as such but I do cycle a lot...although very steep uphills can be a real struggle for me. Any detail and advice would be great in helping me plan whether to do this trip or not.Thanks

by pfsmalo

Last time I did that was in 2000. There is no flat route. It's only 7.5 kms so a max of 1/2 hour to 40 mins. A bit of up hill and down dale but no real problems. I did it and I was 55 yo at the time. Good luck.

by EddyG

Hey thanks for the info...can you remember the route you took...if so please let me have the directions because you have encouraged me to do it...

by pfsmalo

Eddy,
there really is only one route you can take. If I remember rightly Lloret is well sign posted. Anyway in town just look for the north (the sun will be behind you) and away you go.

Perfect...will do thanks

Travel Tips for Blanes

L'Escala

by amapola66

L'Escala is a holiday resort and fishing port at the southern end of the Golf of Roses.
I have had some great times there in previous years and wanted to re visit on the way back from Figueres, to see if it had changed at all.

I found the town, still genuinely appealing. It has a lowrise rule and has a slight 'dusty shanty town' quality that I rather like. Although the southern end is rather built up, there are still plenty of unspoilt spots to enjoy.

Whitewashed streets all lead down to the fantastically rocky coastline and beaches. It did not seem to have changed much. Mind you, we were there on a wet and chilly March day, so it wasn't over-crowded.

Driving through L' Escala up towards Punta Montgo, (amazingly, I still had a good memory for the roads and it had been some years). It still looked exactly the same. Out of season, looking rather barren, I think KB & the Small Person wondered where on earth I was taking them!

Up this end, there are a series of tunnels built into the rocks, I think used in the 2nd world war, and the views of unspoilt beaches stretch all the way to Estartit. We climbed out of the car and took some pics of the lovely landscape and coastline - Shame it was such a drab day, but it was very exhilirating up on the point, in the wind and rain, and lovely to return.

L 'Escala is known for its fantastic sardines and delicious local anchovies (best fried). The towns proximity to the important archeological site of Empúrias which lies just a couple of km north, is another considerable attraction, as is medieval Sant Martí. The beaches there are totally awesome, I would like to go back there in the summer. Shallow bays are shaded by pine trees. This beach can be popular with wind surfers and I have seen the weather suddenly change from hot and calm, to a raging electrical sandstorm (Early Sept) - so even though the little bays are like swimming pools, it is good to be aware of this.

Got back from this visit and wrote a song, so the place is still inspiring !

Comments