Top Calella Palace

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Top Calella Palace

loved calella palace

by TripAdvisor Member alstonleealston

we stayed at calella palace from the 27th oct o6-5oct o6 the hotel was outstanding i cant find any faults at all the rooms were outstanding maids in daily food and drink was fab will return next year

the truth about calella palace - the middle class version

by TripAdvisor Member sh2

After having not slept the whole night due to travelling to calella the first thing we wanted to do was sleep. We arrvived at calella palace at 9:30 am to be told we would not be getting our rooms till 1:00 pm, which we find incredibly unusual because check out is 10 am! so they either have a very slow house keeping department or simply need to employ more people! when we asked our rep about this i think a deaf mute would have been more helpful, he simply shrugged his shoulders and told us there was nothing he could do! the only thing we had the energy to do was sleep, so we decided to just wait in the lobby and have a nap... but that was difficult due to the noise of the unruly children running riot constantly! come noon we were about ready to snap, so i approached the receptionist who then decided to inform me that we may not even recieve our room at 1:00 for definite, but after telling her that the least they could do was tell us exactly when we would get it, she finally gave us a key to the room at 12:30... not a good start. i was also not impressed when i asked the receptionist a question, she ignored me, spoke to the lady next to her in spanish and walked off! plain rude...

the room... clean and simple, nice spacious bathroom, but lets face it we did not go on holiday to enjoy the bathroom! ridiculous rules like paying a 20 euro deposit to be able to have a remote control for the tv with buttons missing ... we believe can only truly reflect the standard of the people that stay in the hotel! and furthermore, we had to pay 18 euros to use the safe in the room!

our first venture into the dining area was to say the least interesting... outside i suddenly felt as if i was back at my school canteen, the smells and sounds were less that appealing. once inside my spirits had not been lifted the food looked bad (most of the time we couldnt even tell what it was ) and did not taste any better! if this was meant to be a four star hotel then i want to know what the people who rated it as such were on! some dishes which did not require any skill to make i.e i could have cooked it , were edible, but the rest i must say were shocking. i have had better food made in a burger van in a lay by!

the all inclusive bar staff were very friendly, but what they served was appauling... we can handle cheap alcohol after all we are students, yet they could have refrained from serving home made soft drinks... and it doesnt take a fine wine connaisseur to know that red wine should not be served cold! another offputting aspect of the bar was the suspicous stench off what we can only describe as wet salty dog wafting through the area.

the bed sheets were not changed very often, as my make up seemed to stay on the pillow cases for several days, and when they were eventually changed they smelled. funny, not fresh.

calella was a very nice area, with pleasant beaches and plenty of bars and restaurants. however, we were under the allusion that it was 25 mins away from barcelona as our travel agent told us, yet the two times that we did go there it took us at least an hour there and an hour back on the train.

all in all we enjoyed ourselves, but that is only because we laughed such issues off, the beach was nice and we really like calella town. but the hotel is a no no, and definitely not a 4 star.

Take earplugs!

by TripAdvisor Member susanrosulek

We were booked at the Olympic but it was closing early so we were "upraded" to the 4-star Calella Palace. The decor was lovely - the family room was huge, we were impressed! However, when we couldn't sleep because of the drunks cackling and shouting at the poolside and the lady vomiting in the next room, we realized all was not as it seemed. The next day, we came back to our room to see our dirty sheets (my son had drunk some hot chocolate) still on our beds and the dirty towels we had thrown on the floor in a heap back on the towel rails. By the way, that continued all week! There is a plunge pool in the basement that a rude Spanish lady is responsible for cleaning. It is supposed to close at 8 p.m. but since she had to clean it before she goes home, she makes everyone get out at 7:30 p.m. Everyone quivered with fear when she appeared! I think she just swished the mop around and did no cleaning at all because the toilets in the basement had lots of debris in the corners near the doors. All the cleaning was done in a half-[---] manner - our room was only clean on the day we arrived. After that, it was given a quick brush sweep down the middle of the room. The food was plentiful and well-presented but very basic - no gourmet dishes here! By the 5th day, we were tired of it so ate out quite a lot. Many of the staff felt they had the authority to shout at, criticize and prohibit the guests from doing certain things. For example, my 4 year old son was helping himself to jelly (with the serving spoon) at the buffet. A worker behind the counter took it upon himself to tell me in broken French that he was "too young" to help himself and he couldn't do that. Where the policy of being "too young" came from, I don't know. Good job I'm fluent in French! He got an earful!
We did go see the Amaika and the Olympic. All in all, I am happy we stayed where we did because the others were worse! But you get what you pay for and if you pay a low price, you get a low-grade holiday. Don't expect more. Oh, and don't get me started on Ryanair!!

the honest truth

by TripAdvisor Member globetrottterr

I have just returned from this hotel and as I booked it for my group of friends (i'm the travel agent) I wanted to share my experience. We arrived just after midnight. The all inclusive had just ended. The reception staff were fine and helpful, lift to 5th floor then longish corridor, the bedroom was huge, 2 double beds, room decked out in cream and dark terracota, marble floor, good sized wardrobe, bright clean bathroom with shower/bath, hairdryer shocking so ladies take your own. On surface looked really nice.It was only on seeing the room in day light that it was obviously done up on the cheap as paint finish not good and badly grouted tiles but it was spottlesly clean. The only problem with the rooms are that the walls are so thin I could hear the person in adjoing rooms snore, burp etc, so it seemed that your neighbours were actually in your room! I barely slept with all the comings and goings. The bar area which is quite large was full off rowdy people drunk, rude and very loud, this was the norm each night and the next night when we went in to have a drink was even worse with the aggression from some trying to push in to get served was just unbelievable. I was waiting at the bar to get a drink when a british woman barged in demanding to be served before me, the barman tried to explain that i was first but she just screamed abuse at him and me. I have never experienced this sort of behaviour in a hotel before. The drinks were of a poor quality anyway so I couldnt see why pepole were so desperate, The waiters seemed totally fed up and I'm not surprised It's not so much that they are rude its just what they have too put up with. The food was terrible. All meals and snacks had too be taken in the dining room which was more of a cafeteria. Breakfast was either continental, salad or cooked, Bacon swimming in grease either undercooked or frazzled, strange tasting sausages, beens and eggs, I only had one evening meal which was awful so ate out , Lunch was ok, but I did only have a salad. Its is obvious that they stick to a tight budget. I did try to have a snack one night, poor choice rubber burger, boney fish and friut was the option. Had I stayed here for a week or more I would have paid to move to the Amaika or come home but for a short stay it was ok to use as a base. The position of the hotel is good, I loved Calella. It's a lovely place, nice shops, bars restaurants. Did'nt go on the beach so cant comment but it looked ok. The train service is excellent. We went to LLoret where you catch the train to Blanes then the bus to lloret which cost 5 euros return. I really loved Calella and if I go back i would just go B&B as there is so many places to eat out and cheaply too. All inclusive at this hotel just isn't for me, If you are on a really tight budget then it will probably suit, but for me I like to eat nice food and the food on offer here just want nice in my opinion.

Good all-rounder for All inclusive

by TripAdvisor Member Sarahsj

We arrived late in the evening and were able to check in and go straight to our room before heading to the bar for a quick drink before the All inclusive drinks ended for the night.
Our room was clean and fresh with 2 double beds and were cleaned daily, with fresh towels given to us daily. However the walls were very thin and we could hear exactly what was being said/done in the rooms next door - which did keep us awake on the odd occasion.
The all inclusive drinks were good - we knew to expect the local brands of beer/wine/spirits - and the waiters were very generous with the servings. But it was a bit irritating the way people pushed eachother about to get to the bar as they didn't like to queue - it got worse as the night went on - and the noise of revellers returning from nights out didn't help later on. But when on holiday you have to expect this - I guess.
Unfortunately there wasn't much entertainment that suited us - it was all a bit too cheesy but a good laugh after a few drinks! and on the rainy days there was not a lot to do but it meant we just HAD to relax which is a good thing!!
Unfortunately the food was not great. There was a lot of choice and plenty of fresh salad, fruit, vegetables but the hot meals didn't seem to be kept hot for very long. A good excuse to eat out at the local restaurants on the odd occasion!
The location of the hotel was great with the shops a short walk away, with the train station and the beach not far either. The beach and sea were also kept very clean.
We found a good aspect of the hotel was that the top floor bar/jacuzzis were for adults only so was good to have some time out from the children also staying there. Unfortunately the pool was not heated so was often too cold to go into in October which is a shame - it meant even the sea was more appealing!
This may sound a negative review but all in all it was a good hotel and holiday. This was our 1st "all inclusive holiday" and we did not really knowing what to expect from it so we were pleasantly surprised.

Handmade candlesHandmade candles

March Visit

by Denver99

Going to Calella in mid March with my eleven year old son. Staying at the Calella Palace and read mixed reviews, some saying how noisy it is. Wondered if anyone else has stayed. Also never been to this region before, is there a best place to eat/go etc. Any tips, advice would be greatly appreciated. Is it worth us going to Barcelona? It is usually short and tee shirt weather in March?

Many thanks in ancipation.

RE: March Visit

by Miguelzgz

Hi Denver.
I have not been exactly in Calella, but I know the area. Probably you will have short/t-shirt weather during daytime, but not at night..."probably", and it depends too from where you come.

Barcelona is always worthy to visit, but Gerona too, and it is smaller and easy to visit. The ancient(old?, sorry for my english) part is great and very nice.

RE: RE: March Visit

by Belsaita

There are two Calellas: Calella de Palafrugell (closer to Girona) and Calella de la Costa (closer to Barcelona). In any case, you can easily travel to Barcelona and Girona from both of them, and both are worth it, as said above. Especially as March is still low season and Calella will be quiet and depending on how long you're to stay I'd say pretty boring.

It is usually short and tee shirt weather in March? Usually NOT. But who knows...is year is being unusually warm. It was "short and tee shirt weather" today at midday in Barcelona, while Frebruary should be "warm clothes wear" :)

RE: RE: March Visit

by Denver99

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.

Best regards

Sheila

RE: March Visit

by LeopardxLadyee

I just visited Calella to see my friend there at the weekend!
The weather was warm but then eventually turned a little cold into the evening, however the weather is very unpredictable. Bring a mix of clothes.

I would imagine your hotel to be quiet as it is March and there will not be alot of tourists about.

I don't think alot of things are open, however i realised that the restaurant Malibu on Eglesia st is open untill either 13.30 or 15.30, i cannot remember.

Taking a trip into Barcelona is a definate MUST! It will cost you 6Euro10cents return for an adult.

I hope this helps!