Vilar Rural De Cardona

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 31% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Cardona

Inner courtyardInner courtyard

Sunday market with Castle in backgroundSunday market with Castle in background

From a distanceFrom a distance

Toasting in the CastleToasting in the Castle

Travel Tips for Cardona

Old Castle, with a splash of Salt

by DSwede

Cardona, just north of Manresa and Barcelona, is a quaint stopping place for the scenic trip to Andorra (or more immediately, Solsona).

As others have commented, the area has been mined for salt since the ancient times, and continues today. For that reason, there is the famous castle on the top of the hill, with industrial development to the south and the town and agriculture to the north.

Despite the larger industrial works, you can still enter and tour the salt caves.

For more general comments on Spain, visit my Spain page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Spain Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

Cardona

by seatpants

"Cardona in the winter"

This is where I fell in love with Catalunya! You can just imagine waking up to the unfamiliar sound of sheep bells (I live in NYC) and an occasional car putting around down below the castle walls. Upon opening the wooden shutters in my room, the first thing I see is the misty valley below and then nothing but the country side to the south and the snow capped Pyrenees to the north. I then inhaled like I never have before! I heard some commotion in the distance and looked down and watched a smallish older women hitting some sheep with her cane across the road. I turned around to my future wife and said I GET it now!

Comments