Ahotels Platjapark

Avinguda Estrasburg, 10, Platja d'Aro, Costa Brava, 17250, Spain

More about Girona

Inside the airport.Inside the airport.

From the Arab BathsFrom the Arab Baths

Sant Pere de GalligantsSant Pere de Galligants

Portal de Sobreportes, Girona, Spain 2009Portal de Sobreportes, Girona, Spain 2009

Please recommend good cafes and reasonably priced restaurants in Girona

by leoinv1

Hello,

We plan to spend one full day Girona in late March. Because the center of the city if quite touristy we want to avoid the tourist traps. Would appreciate suggestions for good local eateries/cafes/reasonably priced restaurants for lunch/dinner/snack/tapas. I love good coffee, so any suggestions of where to get a quality cup of cafe con leche or cortado is very much appreciated.

Re: Please recommend good cafes and reasonably priced restaurants in Girona

by johnincornwall

I dont really agree that the centre of the City is quite touristy. Apart from the odd troupe of Japanese tourists - who are probably fed and watered at some out-of-town staging stop anyway - I thought it was quite 'local', with the university right in the midst. Lots of cafes to choose from, even if there is an Irish bar ot 2!

We were there in early April - similar time to you - and I think you'll love it. Cant remember where we had a drink, but cafe con leche is always pretty good anyway. We usually try one of those little local cake shop/cafes.

Re: Please recommend good cafes and reasonably priced restaurants in Girona

by Belsaita

I do agree with the poster above, I never found the town centre that touristy. Funny enough the couple of Irish pubs were there long time ago before Ryanair put Girona in the touristy map... but I guess now they are busier.

When I'm in Girona and I want to treat myself I usually eat at Creperie Bretonne. OK it's French food, but it's delicious and well priced and it's local and it's a funky place where locals eat :)

If I just wanted a basic "menu del dia" for lunch, I'd probably head to Volta i Volta or any other of the restaurants in Plaça Independència.

If I'm around at mid/late afternoon and hungry, a sinful "xocolata amb melindros" at Xocolateria Antiga (Plaça del Vi). Well, you can have just a coffee if you want something lighter, but the place is old and very nice.

I can't tell about dinner places, as I usually go to Girona for the day

You'll find some more info and addresses of these places (and more tips) at my Girona VT page (sorry for this plug!)

Travel Tips for Girona

Small Venice

by Raimix

In some guidebooks Girona is named as “small Venice”. The main reason of it is the beautiful Onyar river channel. There are a few old and modern bridges through Onyar river, from here you could watch into picturesque houses and spires of churches.

The Onyar river itself looks neglect, possible it is polluted and sinken.

girona city

by allsribas

in Girona city you can go for a walk to the jewish quarter, and the old city.
you can visit the cathedral and the ramparts with a good view.
The old city is very beatiful and good preserved.
The houses along de river are painted with different colors.
The new city doesn't deserve a visit. go for a walk to the old city.

Saint Narcissus and the flies

by Belsaita

Girona has a long history, with many battles and wars. There was a siege on 1285, they say that a group of French soldiers managed to enter the Sant Feliu's church, where the sarcophagus of Sant Narcis (Patron Saint of Girona) is kept. They say that a multitude of huge and poisonous flies emerged from the tomb of the Saint, biting the French troops and their horses, causing many deaths. They considered it a miracle, and the French troops retreated.

Centuries later, on 1653, the city was attacked again by French troops. The citizens of Girona put the sarcophagus of Sant Narcis on the ramparts to protect the city. Again, the flies appeared from nowhere and the French army had to retreat. This time, even some French officers did swear upon the Royal Notary of Sant Feliu de Guixols (town nearby Girona) that a swarm of big flies caused the panic and death to the French troops and their horses.

Fact of legend? Who knows...

Parc de la Devesa

by Mahieu

On the opposite side of the Church San Feliu, crossing the river, you can find this large park. I've seen prettier parks, but like everywhere in Spain, the quiet pace of life, combined with the sunshine, make you want to go there to spend a couple of hours and have a siesta-feeling!

SOL-MAR Car Hire

by KiNyA

I must say renting a car at SOL-MAR Car Hire was an excellent deal! I had been browsing on internet to get a car at Girona Airport and got to SOL-MAR website "by accidence".

So: We got a completely new car (with less than 450 km!!!) for eight days for € 95! We paid maybe some € 20-25 more for the insurance but still - getting a new car for over a week for less than € 120! Incredible!

Another useful information: You can pay by cash!

And: No fees for drivers under 25 (I remember once I had to pay @ EuropCar some €20-30 extra for not being 25 or 26 years old).

Comments