Dorada Palace Hotel

Hotel-Aparthotel Dorada Palace
Hotels.com Booking.com Tingo.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• shizzler's Profile Photo

Good hotel near the theme park.

I was lucky enough to be one of the first group of guests in this hotel when it opened back in about 2004. We stayed in it towards the end of april and it was lovely. Big pool, good food in the restaurant, ok priced drinks and ok staff. One really good thing about this hotel is it had a huge conference type room with bar and at night they had good entertainment and a disco in there. It's not too far from the seafront, about a 10-15 minute walk down the hill. 10 minutes up the hill in the other direction is the port aventura theme park by universal studios. This hotel is in the perfect place to take a stroll up there. On the side of this amazing theme park is costa caribe waterpark too. The hotel was self catering or half board when i was there. Official rating was 4 star. It's set out in two medium rise blocks, and there was alot of building work going on whilst i was there so i don't know what the scenery will be like now, but i'm sure the building will be finished and some other great hotels in place. A built up area, but with nice peace as it's slightly away from the hussle and bussle of the seafront promenade.

Unique Quality: The pool was lovely and spacious. the fact that you've got only 10 minutes in either direction to get to something, out of the peacefull area where the hotel is makes it great. The fact that the things in each direction are the whitest of white sand beaches or the biggest theme/water park money can buy just up the hill make it's positioning great.

Directions: Use a sat nav, easiest way to find anywhere. If you get stuck just ask a local or get a taxi.

More about Dorada Palace Hotel

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member nonoes

Myself and my husband took our 5year old daughter to this hotel last June for her first holiday. My sister who was 15 at the time also joined us. We stayed in this hotel for two weeks. When our bus dropped us outside this hotel we first thought it couldn't be ours as it looked absoutely fab but we were assured by our rep that it was in fact the Club Dorada Palace. We checked in and made our way to the third floor to our room. We stayed half board instead of self catering. The room was a bit small for four of us but it was comfortable. I must say the staff in the hotel were great. They were more than helpful in any way they could. There are three pools in this complex and a children's playground. The entertainment at night can be good craic and they are mainly there to entertain the children which by me is a fantastic idea. They have there own kids club which my daughter loved and everynight they sang songs with actions which even the adults got involved in. The hotel is about a ten minutes walk to the beach and to the centre of Salou which suited us fine as Salou can get very busy at night time. The beach in Salou has to be on of the nicest i've ever been too. There are numerous water sports to do. This was our second time in Salou and we intend on going back again. Port Aventura is great with loads of things to do. I recommend doing the water park in Port Aventura the rides are great fun. The water park in La Pineda is great too and they do a Dolphin Show there too but it is a bit expensive there. There are numerous places to eat out in Salou ranging in price. The bars are good craic and they do entertainment for kids up till around 1am. Charlie Chaplins is one of the best in Salou and they ask all parents to take the kids home at 1am which i thought was a good idea (some kids end up taking the parents home which is very sad). I would definately recommend Salou for any type of holiday. There is numerous things to do there and if you get bored, you can always take a trip to Barcelona (where we've been twice). Fab city and loads of things to do there too. Enjoy.

super dorada

myself and my partner two young children thoroughly enjoyed staying at the dorada palace hotel it was clean the views were lovely overlooking the pool, and well the situation of the hotel was fantastic, we wished we stayed for two weeks the weather was great what else can i say but bloody brilliant would definatley go again

Knock, Knock who's there? Kids pressing the doorbell and running away!!!!!!

I found salou a nice place to stay and relaxing but not much things to do, as for the dorada palace nice hotel, kept very clean but rooms are very small and quite narrow but as therewas only two of us me and my hubby it was fine, we were told that cleaning will be done every two days but we had it done everyday and had fresh towels everyday whichj I was really happy about.

The thing i didnt like about the Dorada Palace is silly kids who have nothing better to do than ring guest doorbell and then run away, me and my husband had that done to our doorbell in our room quite a few times which i found very annoying and damn rite rude as there parents/guardian dont watch there children and just let them loose.

Food in Salou was okay nothing to write about apart from a couple of restaurants I really enjoyed eating at teh Spaghetti house which is 2 mins from the hotel very nice food, and also a restaurant on the beach front where its nice to just sit and wotch the world go by (cant remember the name of the restuarant)

Me and My husband went to Barcelona for three days it was good but very cold but when we go tback to salou the remaining week was very hot and we enjoyed ourselves and got our tan, My husband enjoyed Port aventura park its a must to go, and worth your while if you love rides if not its still good as you can relax and watch people scream for there life :)

Overall nice holiday, and relaxing would recommend only if you want to stay in the hotel and relax as theres nothing really to do in Salou apart from sit at the beach all the day, and shopping which I found alrite nothing major to be hyped about.

Avoid if you want a peaceful holiday!

My partner and I have just returned from a weeks stay in the Dorada Palace.
We booked this as a last minute deal so weren't expecting much but we won't be returning in a hurry!
We flew in on the Stansted flight so arrived at the hotel about 11am. We were warned that check in for the hotel didn't open until 2pm and the time did really drag!.
The hotel itself is nice. Very clean and spacious.

On checking in we were originally given room 249. The whole room was no bigger than 9ft by 9ft and had a single bed!!! It overlooked the busiest roundabout in Salou and even with the balcony doors closed, there was no escaping the noise! Reception were really good about changing our room and did it straightaway.
The rooms were kept really clean and we had fresh towels every day.
Beware if you want to use the TV. Reception ask for a deposit of 12 euros before they give you a remote control.

The hotel caters for families but seems to forget about everybody else. The evening entertainment consisted of a kids disco. Not my idea of fun! Salou itself wasn't much better.The place is a dump. There is graffiti and litter everywhere. Its a shame as they seem to want to cater for the British so it's full of English pubs and fast food restaurants.The only decent area to sit and have an evening drink is down by the beach. There are some nice cafes with plenty of tables and chairs to sit outside and watch the world go by.

The food at the Dorada Palace is very bland. By the end of the week we were fed up with chips! Also kids are left to run riot and some, not all, were absolutely disgusting. They licked serving spoons, dropped food on the floor and put it back in serving dishes, used their hands etc. Also you have to pay for drinks with your evening meal if you book half board. I thought this was normal in hotels but I heard people complain about the expense.

The only area for peace and relaxation is the roof top terrace. There is a nice swimming pool and jacuzzi and some gym equipment. There is a security door as the area is adults only and you have to obtain a card each day from reception.

The hotel itself was ok. Its a shame it was overrun with badly behaved children. I was shocked by how dirty and built up Salou was. We won't be returning again.

Hotel of Tiny Tearaways

by TripAdvisor Member Dargie

We have just returned from 2 weeks at the Dorada Palace 4 star hotel in Salou. One week would have been more than enough or better still if we had never gone at all. This hotel is designed to cater for all the needs of children, children, children. Everything and I mean everything is geared around them. Entertainment for adults is virtually nil. Whatever is provided is completely wasted by the continual noise and bad behaviour of a large proportion of the children. Parents abdicate responsibility and sit drinking while the youngsters rush up and down corridors well into the wee small hours. You just drop off to sleep and the staff beging to clear all the outside tables and chairs and then put all the sunbeds back out which can go on until 4am.

We have travelled the world, have children and grandchildren of our own and have never ever experienced a holiday like this. The hygene of some of the guests is quite deplorable. e.g. taking a helping of pasta and then returnung unfinished portion to the serving bowl, tasting the mayonnaise with the spoon provided for serving and then ploopping it back in serving bowl, sticking fingers in all the sweets. Two of the 3 of the examples were adults by the way. These were all reported to management but there was no wholesale clearance of thes commodities.
I will never pass that way again and indeed it has put me off Salou completely.

I am now home for a rest. The silence is bliss.

HORRIBLE

Right where do I start?????

Ok, I visited the Dorada Palace early May for one week. I will start by saying the First Choice rep that organized the transfer from Reus to the Hotel was the most miserable girl I have ever come across. Not a good start!!!

The Hotel - We arrived at 11am and the hotel do not allow you to check in until 2pm (why???) This doesn't seem to bad but trust my it gets very annoying. The cheekiest part of it all is the Hotel charge you 2 euros to store your cases in there store room while you wait for them to let you check in.
At last we checked in and to my suprise we enetred a room that I am sure was designed for Yoda out of Star wars. It was TINY. I think I could have laid down and been able to touch opposite walls (I am only 5ft 9)
I went downstairs and asked to moved. To the hotels credit they moved us quite quickly and we were given a much better room, although this room looked out over a building site it was alot better than where we were.

FOOD - I think the food in this place is prepared by all of the children staying in the hotel, it consists of Chicken and chips and then some chicken and chips oh yeah and if you get bored of that you can have some curly chips with some fish fingers.
The next thing about the food is it is often under cooked. The worst thing about the whole place is the people that stay in this Hotel, Whilst I was there Parents seemed to be happy to let there children stick their fingers in the food, lick theire fingers and then grab more food, it is just plain disgusting. I actually happened to see adults doing this aswell.

SWIMMING POOL - The main pool is kids paradise, I reccoment the pool on the 6th floor very relaxing.

The hotel it's self is actually quite nice and VERY CLEAN.

Salou it's self is actually not very nice, it smells and is just generallyy dirty. I would advise you NOT TO GO and spend your money else where.

This hotel is great for kids and if you are happy to be kept up until 12 - 1 am then you will love it.

It's a place for children to run wild without any control. Don't book the barcelona trip though first choice either it's crap. Get the train on your own up to Barcelona and make your own way round (I wish I had)

Not really much else to say apart from stay clear of the YODA small rooms, watch people at the food hall fingers hands and all sorts in the food, take some ear plugs for the pool and just prepare yourself for the must un relaxing holiday of your lifetime

ENJOY

Wonderful hotel

My husband and my three childeren (aged 5, 1 and 4 months)have just returned home from our first family holiday abroad and i can say that this hotel was just amazing. The staff are friendly and great with the kids, the buffet style resteraunt had something for everyone and the evening entertainment was great ranging from magicians to acrobatics & bands (my kids just loved the mini disco held every night). My daughter loved the kids club too.

The hotel its self is very grand and is kept very clean, and is in a great location for getting to the theme park (a nice 20 minute walk) or for getting to the beach front and shops. The bus stops right outside the hotel and there is a train that takes you from the beach to the theme park. Our room was just the right size for all of us, we found it very comfortable. You can hire beach towels from the reception which save you having to pack your own, and we also hired a second buggy for the week to get around. The only bad thing is the building work around the hotel which will look great when its finished, but i must point out that we heard no noise whatsoever from this. Oh and the pool is pretty cold, even at the waterpark the indoor part was not heated, so watch out for this in low season.

Salou is nice, lots of palm trees and fountains, there was not much that we had a problem with! Theme park is wonderful, but go out of season, i managed to walk onto some of the rides without waiting at all. The shows were out of this world!

All round great holdiay!!

Kids club was the best

by TripAdvisor Member Lline

Most of reviews people have written are excellent, however, we found the hotel to be good in some areas, poor in others. Here is what we found:

Check-in - we arrived at 11am and had to wait until 2pm to check-in. I was aware of this before we went, but it was a bigger deal than we expected. We had been up since 4am and so were very tired when we got there and believe me, those 3 hours dragged, especially when you have to keep 2 small children amused.

Deposit - we were not aware, however, that we were expected to hand over £70 or 100 euros in cash before getting our room, this is refunded once the room has been checked over after you leave it.

Rooms - had read many reviews warning about small rooms and had to agree. Our apartment was the smallest I've ever stayed in and the equipment was minimal. The bedroom was a decent size to be fair. The balcony was very big but we didn't spend much time on it due to the view - a coach park. Heard no building work. The maid service is excellent, clean towels whenever you want them and they come in every day. In fact you could not fault the hotel on cleanliness.

Food - good in that there was a huge selection and we found the children's selection excellent, my two ate loads! So we wish we had gone half board. It cost £14 euros for dinner and 7 euros for children (they did not charge for my 2 yr old)

Pool - we didn't use the pool area as we preferred the beach but it looked very clean. No fighting for sun beds as we were outside the peak season.

Staff - very friendly in restaurant. Reception were efficient and helpful too - when my youngest was sick they insisted we let them know if he needed a doctor and they would arrange for one to visit us (we didn't but felt better knowing that!)

Entertainment - we didn't see it as it started about 10pm and the kids were tired by then. They did enjoy the children's disco at 9pm. The best thing for the kids was the kids club - our 5 yr old loved going and went most days and our youngest went to the creche a few times which was 11 euros and excellent - they sent him home with a booklet detailing what he'd done all week. The staff at the club are excellent and it's no surprise there are queues in the summer months.

Salou - we were not keen on Salou, the only really nice bit is the beach which is lovely. Away from the beach it is very drab. Whenever we ate out the food wasn't bad but we found it quite expensive.

Check-out- if you don't leave your room by ten you are pestered - we got a phonecall, knocks on the door and eventually someone from reception came up as we were about to leave at half ten. This was annoying since we were made to wait 3 hrs for our room and the rep had incorrectly told us that check-out was 12pm!

very rude bar/restaurant staff

We have just returned after 1 weeks hol at this hotel, although we went 4 years ago then it was great, but now different story. I have never met such ignorant staff in the bar areas and restuarant, they see you and then totally ignore you, very lazy except a couple of them not bad, reason they are very poor at speaking and understanding English. The food was lovely and the room also, we were a family of two adults and one child and ample space for us. 10 minute walk to the beach - nice beach and nice restaurants along the beach. I would not recommend going in peak season to this hotel. Alot of the children are allowed to run riot without parents watching them,not good for safety reasons also, it started to get worse towards the end of the week as were leaving, and alot of French people arrived also extremely rude.

Train or bus?

by wendychim

I am taking a party of 10 to Salou and maybe a day in Barcelona. Please advise on the following:

1) As we will be flying into Barcelona. What is the best way to get to Salou? I thought of a private mini bus, but this can be quite costly! Are there any direct public coaches or buses? I know you can take a train from Sants, but with 10 people, this can be tricky!

2) Out of the 4 main theme hotels, El Paso, Caribe resort,Portaventura etc. Which one is the best for families? Location? Food?

Thanks

Wendy

RE: Train or bus?

by DSwede

Now that the airport has the metro line completed, you can pick up your train ticket directly at the airport when you get to the metro connection. Take the L10 line to Sants, it will drop you off on track 5, which is also the same track that the train to Tarragona/Salou will depart on. Cost will be about 5EUR per person. Renting or hiring a minibus would cost you at least 100EUR.

I'm sorry, but I've never stayed at the hotels in Salou to answer your second question.

RE: RE: Train or bus?

by belltink

all of the hotels are ok and the food is fine but these hotels can be very expensive . there are some excellent hotels on the porta ventura door step and you can just walk across the road .the salurius and the dorada palace are very good ones with good accom and food. as for your park tickets keith prowse do good deals eg 7 days for the price of 14 etc... have good look on the web at salou hotels most have links to maps of the resort etc. good luck.

Comments