Hotel Calypso

MedPlaya Hotel Calypso
Expedia.com Official Site Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 58% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• A good hotel for families

The hotel Calypso was a decent hotel and the food was brilliant. Some nights there was entertaining themed nights when the ladies received a carnation and gentlemen a cigar, not forgetting children they get a lolly.
    For the children there is a kids club where the children can socialize with other children and sometimes get included in the thompson shows.
    The entertainment was exellent as the whole family were catered for. It starts off with a small thompson show and a mini disco for the children. Then med playa put on a show which was often a musical such as grease or cats.
    The hotel is split into 2 blocks. The only thing we didn't find to be up to standard was when you book with thompsons the rooms are more basic than when you book with med playa. These people are in the 'posh block'. The plumbing can be quite noisy so if you are planning a lie in, then you may be disappointed.

Unique Quality: The pool was very family friendly. It has a small paddling pool for toddlers and then another pool for the older shildren and adults. There is a lot of space for your sunbed and some of it is slightly away from the poolside if you dont want to be surrounded by children. The pool has a poolside bar where you can purchase burgers ,chips and other fast food.

• My fave hotel in Salou - so far!

This was fabulous hotel. As it is an Aparthotel the space we had was much more than we are used to in a Spanish holiday hotel. There were only 2 of us so whether a family of four would think the same I am unsure. We had all the facilities of an apartment, which included a fridge, cooker, kettle a dining table and a lounge area as well as the convenience of the hotel resturant.
    The food in the hotel was exellent with lots of variety. It has a childrens food bar where the food is easy to reach and smaller portions as on the adults food bar. The themed gala night was based on fish and paella but with a small variety of other dishes if fish is not to your taste.
    The entertainment was not up to much in the hotel but we did only look in on this one night. If you have children, I would suggest going to either Jugglers or the Calypso hotel (which is also a Thomsons Superfamily) and within a five minute walking distance.
    If I had to find fault with this hotel it would be simply that the shower curtain was not effective as it let water out of the shower and also it attacked me every time I used it!

Unique Quality: The hotel had many facilities including computers for surfing the internet if you want to do that when you are on holiday!
    The pool was huge but apparently there was a rush for sunbeds in the mornings. We didn't get involoved in this and tended to go to the pool later in the afternoon when many had left.

More about Hotel Calypso

Average Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Debbie18Scotland

We stayed in Hotel Calypso on our 7 day holiday (our first abroad. 3 Adults One Child). On arrival there were longs lines waiting for keys to the rooms and ever longer lines waiting for elevaltors, only one was working at the time.
The rooms were pretty basic two full sized beds, TV and plenty of cupboard room.
We recived a bottle of champagne on arrival to wish us a happy stay which was a pleasent surpise.
The Maids truely are a credit to the hotel our room was cleaned every two days and they were very friendly.
The food was pleasent, there was different theams for each night. We disliked having to que at the dinning room to be let into eat reminded me of being back at school and the little kids grew very inpatient..as did the adults. But the breakfasts weren't nice...chips were on offer to children.
The entertainment was very child bassed though not much to offer teenagers (like myself) though there are two bars with excellent staff.
If theamw parks aren't your thing ask your holiday rep about the La Padina Water Park, it is fantasic and value for money. It offers shallow water amusements for the little ones and amazing slides and fun for the older ones.
Over all the Hotel Calypso was good but we have booked up for another hotel.

what a good hotel! (yeah right)

by TripAdvisor Member chicaboo

We stayed at the hotel calypso for the first 2 weeks of september,
travelled with thomson who stated it was a brilliant hotel, dont know where they got that information from.

One good thing about it was the weather in the first week. There was a group of eight one with a baby and one with asthma we asked to be put on the first floor when holiday was booked but ended up on 4th and 5th floors in old block which looked like something from the seventies and the lifts never worked properly.

The restaurant for breakfast and evening meals had nowhere near enough seats for the amount of guests there, you have to queue most times before you can get in. The breakfast was always cold so was not worth queueing for and evening meals were not catered for everyone unless you lived on chips.

The second week brought really bad weather and flooding no fault of the hotels but there was nothing to keep everyone entertained during the day.

Two days before we came home one of our rooms on the 4th floor leaked along with many others on the 4th floor so we were moved (thanks to the maids who were the friendliest staff there). What a difference it was in the new block marble and nice decor rather than purple carpets and mutlicoloured walls in the old block. But surpise surprise there was very few english in the new block mainly spanish.

The only good thing was the kiddies disco and entertainment and some good shows on the night although nearly always mimed.

Overall would not recommend this hotel

Loved It !!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member AyrshireScots

My family have just returned back from holiday in the Hotel Calypso and as this was my first holiday i thoroughly enjoyed it, the staff were friendly, the entertainent was great, from early morning until 3am the next morning. When we arrived we were greated with 2 entertainers, they made us feel so welcome. As we were there in May there are a lot of Spanish children come to the hotel to stay, but it does tell you that in any review of the hotel.

Port Aventura is a must to visit, Dragon Khan, Tutuki Splash, Hurakan Condor, Stampida and the Temple of fire is a must and is only 10 mins away from the hotel by bus, which is on the main strip of Salou, 2 mins from the hotel. There was a park just across from the hotel which has crazy golf, trampolines and a kids soft play area, which was good for the kids. The beach is a lovely 10 minute walk through the main strip where there are a lot of shops, but you need to haggle. The have pedalo boats and a lovely beach.

A BIG MUST to go to is "Jacks" go out the hotel, turn left and left again and straight dwn, its on your left, fabulous food and also the man that owns "Jacks" also does a clown show in the "Champions Bar" just around the corner, on a Thursday, Friday and Sunday. That is so funny for kids and adults, does dancing, magic, juggling, pass the parcel, my daughter absolutely loved it, we were there for a week and went 3 nights.

We are only home one day and i want to go back again, the evening entertainment is fantastic, they have different shows everynight, some dancing and some comedy shows, weather depending, it's either outside on the terrace or inside in the medeterrain bar, downstairs, they also have kids disco's everynight, karaoke and disco's in the apple bar. The reception staff were great and helped with any enquiry we had, the reps were on hand next to reception. The food was good, had themed nights, mexican, chinese, etc, bfeakfast was good i found no complaints and they always had a wide range of desserts too.

I would encourage anyone to visit this hotel it is suitable from young children to older people, the only thing was the pool was a wee bit cold but once you were in the pool, it was fine, people were jumping in and they were fine. If anyone wants to contact me about this hotel, feel free but i will only have good words about the hotel. amandamackie574@aol.com

Very Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member julie-jubes

Have just returned from Salou having spent 5 nights at Hotel Calypso.Like many others I read all the reviews beforehand and became very concerned.
I needn't have worried all my fears were completely unfounded, the hotel was very clean and fresh, rooms were spacious and cleaned everyday.
I'd heard that there were 2 blocks, we were lucky enough to be in the better one ! I ventured into the other block just to be nosy,and found it to be very drab, I suppose being housed in there would make for quite a miserable holiday.
the 2 pools were lovely and we had no trouble finding a bed, but that probably has a lot to do with the time of year, I imagine it might be a bit more tricky at the height of season.
the food was very good with plenty to choose from, We never had to queue once and it was never cold. I cant understand people slating it, if you want a la carte, go stay at a 5 star !!!!
The entertainment was not my cup of tea but im sure many people enjoy it and credit where its due, the animation team work extremely hard.
It was a bit noisy and I got slightly fed up with being woken from my afternoon doze by the pool by the 3 oclock dance.
All in all the calypso was a very good hotel and I certainly agree with the other reviewer who said some people are just too picky and only happy when they are finding fault with everything.
Having said all that, staying in late sep is probably very different from staying in june or july !!!!!!!! Think about it.

the best holiday I have ever been on

by TripAdvisor Member staceymurphy

Stayed in this hotel between 16th-30th september and what can i say the best holiday abroad i have ever been to.I read like every1 else the other reviews about going and some ppl are just so picky, it's really what u ake of ur holiday and the ppl u meet that make it really gd.

Once i arrived at the hotel we where welcomly introduced to the enertainment team telling us abou all the entertainment featured in the hotel of which i can say was brilliant something for all ages and every1 to do from 11.30am until midnight. There were shows like Grease, Western nights, Michael Jackson, The Drifters Chinese Circus, 100 years of cinema, Mr and Miss Calypso of which my bf one mr Calypso a free week full board holiday for 2 ppl for next year and much much more. The entertainment team had games one for u during the dat of which u would win free cocktails and other prizes.

There was a games room in the hotel with a bowling alley for 2 euros per person for about 10 shots i had much fun there alot.

In our room we had three beds, a telly with BBC one England and MTV, Reality tv and many more channels. Maid service was very gd cleaned the rooms every day. As i was on the first fllor found it really gd as opened the veranda and walked out straight to the pool, founf this reallt gd as has a 3 and a half year old with me so i could watch her easily. There was about 3 big pools and a playarea for kids. My kiddie wen to kidsclub 2-3 times a day 5 days a week. The kiddies reps were amazing and done lots of stuff to entertain the kids. Nighttime session is 3 euros from 8pm-10pm but i always took her pout at 9.30 as they had a mini disco for kids for half an hour before entertainment shows started.

The hotels food was as u make it, although themed nights there was something different every night for u to chose from. But i had to queue in the dinner queue at 6pm every night for it opening at 6.30pm as it got very busy. The breakfast one ur typical english breakfast with lovely orange, pineapple fresh juice to chose from.

The hotel was very good situated right rounf the corner from the main promenade and about 15 walk to Port Aventura which if staying for 2 weeks would recommend that u buy the 2 week theme park pass for 73 euros for an adult as one day just isn;t long enough to explore the park. I was lucky as my wee girl who's 3 got on at least 20 rides and that was me not even having to pay for her, She had a ball. The shows in the theme park are not to be missed. Especially the bubble show in Chinese land. The hotel is about 20 mins walk to the beach which was lovely and clean. U could walk all day without shoes on, when could u ever do that bk home. If you get the chance i would without a doubt recommened that u go to The House of Illusions night 5 mins from hotel, at 35 euros per adult its well worth value for money as this was the best nights of my 2 week stay. U get all ur drinks and kiddzies drinks free all night. A nice meal with desert. U also get ppl doing magic tricks and card tricks infront f u,u get a singer,comedian and ppl reading ur minds its diffently NOT TO BE MISSED FANTASTIC.

In the hotel u had 2 bars the meditterean bar, if raining entertainment would be in her and welcome meetings in here. Also the Apple bar next to reception where every night there was either karaoke or disco until 2 in the morning and ur allowed kids in here. The atmosphere in here was gd and it gives u a gd chance of meeting new ppl and if ur peckish they sell beautiful pizzas for 5 euros which were hugh (8 slices) well worth a try.

The trip to Barcelona football stadium is a most but we made our own way there for only 10.80euros return on the main train line which was about 25 min walk from the hotel easy to find.

If you have any queries about this hotel or any of the excursions please don;t hestitate to e-mail me on and ask at stacey_2007_murphy@yahoo.co.uk

Overall my holiday and hotel was absolutely fantastic and can't wait to get bk next year

Family Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Holidays100

A group of us stayed at this hotel in June 2006, booked on the internet as a DIY package holiday, the hotel lobby and communal areas are very nice and mostly modernised, the pool areas were also very nice and great for kids. There are two blocks and we stayed in the one which wasn't for Thompson holiday makers, the rooms were very basic and a little tatty and I had to give the cupboards/wardrobe a quick dust before putting any clothes in, however the air conditioning was pretty good. The food was good as long as you're not really fussy, breakfast is the usual spanish affair with streaky bacon and hotdog sausages - the main let down being the bread - even when toasted it didn't taste like bread. Evening meals were much better than breakfast with lots of choice and always a roast joint on offer. The entertainment was good but just the usual holiday camp kind of stuff - limbo dancing, parrots, greese musical etc. All in all a good hotel with no complaints - exactly what we expected for the price we paid.

Got robbed, and not the first!

by TripAdvisor Member justasitis

I went to this hotel in Oct 06 for 2 week, Rooms were realy basic, and so were the meals.
You had to hope the entertainment was good, witch it was also the pool area was good. However it appears that this hotel is well known for getting burgled, and guess what, we got burgled.
we were on the ground floor overlooking the pool, the patio door did not look very safe, it was our second night when we came home we found we had been robbed,trashed and ransacked
taking our camera, money, DVD player and other belongings about £750s worth,
The staff were very un helpfull, and the rep would not come out that night to help us. We had a 18 month old baby with us and my husband had to walk to the Police station.
No way would I go back to this Hotel, we were very shaken and upset by this experience
Three ground floor rooms got broken into that night, we later found out it was three spanish boys.
AVOID THIS HOTEL

Weekend Away

we had been to Salou the year before and went back for a sunny weekend away with a couple we know

i picked the hotel on price as it was only some where to rest our heads after all we would be out shopping and drinking the rest of the time

this is a old hetel and needs some lovin lol the rooms are long and narrow but very clean it was full of young locals also out for a good time this wasnot a problem

its cheap and if your not fussy its the place for you

hotel calypso???

by peckpeck

has any one been here recently? can anyone tell me what its like? how far away is it from the beach? and shops and pubs and stuff.......is the hotel big?

how does it compare to other hotels in salou, becasue i stayed at the hotel salou park a few years back and that was good, just wondering hhow it compares to hotel calypso, so any reveiews on hotel calypso plz? any people visited recently or last year, any time really?

cheers

reply soon.

RE: hotel calypso???

by guthrumktc

There are some recent reviews about this hotel on Holidays Uncovered on your computer.Try it
Cheers Kevin

RE: hotel calypso???

by snellieuk

I stayed in Hotel Calypso last week for a week! It is only a 3* and therefore the rooms are just a bed, bathroom and table/tv but all you need really and very clean! One half of the hotel is slightly more modern than the other but we had nothing to complain about!

There are two very nice pools, and plenty of sun loungers! One pool is warmer than the other but both are fine! Food in the restaurant was good, wide choice of food for all meals, slightly repetitive after a week but its varied each day! Usually tied to the theme of the evening entertainment, which we didnt really watch but looked quite amusing! Plenty of entertainment and activities for kids through to adults! And the pool bar food is nice for a lunchtime snack! Very reasonable drink prices too!

We had a nice FREE meal on the terrace bar one night too, you will probably get a voucher like we did wen you check-in!

We didnt actually go down to the beach but they all looked very nice and only about 10-15minute walk away! The front was very nice in the evenings with plenty of restaurants and bars! You will get midered by lots of PR people though trying to drag you into every restaurant and bar every night!!

Apprt from that, we had a really good holiday and i hope you do too! Want to know anything else just ask!

Barcelona is well worth a day visit, about 1hr 30 away on the train, and we also visited Aquapolis water park by bus in tarragona bout 15mins away...excellent dolphin and sealion show and a good waterpark!

Sarah

RE: RE: hotel calypso???

by peckpeck

k, ill ask you some more then, was the hotel really big? how far away are the clubs or pubs? how long does it take to get from reus to the hotel calypso? are there alot of english teenagers there, preferably girls from 17 to 21 lol haha, did you go to the rovers return pub and how far away is it? ill prob think of some more questions later, but thanks, if you can aswer these that is.

cheers