2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Albir Garden Resort
Priceline.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

• Really enjoyed My holiday

I had never been to Albir before, infact i had never heard of it, but i wasnt dissappointed at all when i arrived. I travelled with my partner and 2 children, and we stayed for 2 weeks in the Albir gardens on a self catering basis. I had read some reviews that wernt too good, but we had a fantastic time. We had a one bedroomed appartment which was basic but perfectly adequite, just along from the gorgeous pool.

The hotel was situated on the outskirts of town about 10 mins from the beach but there was plenty of bars and shops to pop in on the way down to the beach, if u even want to go at all. The pool was enough for us most days.
    The service in the gardens was fine, the food we didnt try, i dont think we even bought many drinks in the hotel as we were always out exploring.

We went to aqualandia and terra mitica which were great fun had lazy days by the pool and ventured out each morning for breakfast, sometime lunch and always dinner.

A family we got friendly with were all inclusive but still popped out for breakfast at Shevlins bar infront of the Macadona Supermarket, and they said it was good, so we tried it and ate there to almost each day.
    We also enjoyed the indian buffet that we went to just up the road from the hotel, even the kids liked it.

There was entertainment on most nites but we prefered to go for a walk get something to eat and have a drink on the way back.

I would definatly go back to albir and probably this hotel as we all had such a good time. I would also reccommend this hotel to my friends.

Unique Quality: The pool in the hotel was brilliant for the kids and us adults.
    Our room had a great view of the mountains and i think most other rooms would have had to.

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo

Self Catering

We had a one bedroom apartment that had all the facilities including heating. The kitchen was a bit on the small side and only had a two hot plate stove top. However the hotel does offer full meals in the dining room at very reasonable rates. I believe the breakfast buffet was 5 euro and dinner something like 9 euro, but there are many restaurants nearby that offer very cheap meals.

There is a large pool area with two pools I believe and also two outside bars.

Unique Quality: There was entertainment most nights with the host Steve also doing Bingo and karaoke.

More about Albir Garden Apartments

The best breakfast in town

by bobs23 about J.p Shevlins

Went to albir in september this year, and went to shevlins each morning with partner for breakfast. Had been reccomended by a few couples we got talking to in albir gardens and they werent wrong. They have a sign outside saying best in albir and it isnt wrong. They do 3 types a small large or full monty which is huge. as well as the usualy buttys n beans on toast. They do other food to, but we usually were to stuffed after breakfast to eat untill much later in the night, haha. The staff were friendly to say hi to them all 4 me. The best full english breakfast ever. Not greasy just really really nice

1 week is enough

by TripAdvisor Member celticdublin

I don't have many bad things to say about the Albir Gardens, but it is not advisable to go in August (95% spanish in apartments). Also, in the complex their are to many spanish timeshares selling to spanish familys. Entertainment at night was very spanish orienated and poor. You would be very lucky to get a couple of words in English. Bar staff were very rude. They would ignore you unless you could speak Spanish to get their attention. Nothing to fault about the apartment. it was cleaned regularly. Not very much to do with children in Albir you need to get a taxi or the bus which is just outside the hotel to travel into Benidorm (approx 15 min by bus). I recommend the apartments if you are looking for a quiet holiday for a week. I think 2 weeks is a bit long for the area.

Great Holiday - wish we were back there!

by TripAdvisor Member Andrea125

This was my first holiday with my current boyfriend and we made the best choice going to Albir, just far away enough from Benidorm to lose the tackiness and constant noise, but just close enough to enjoy sights like Sticky Vicky (lol) and the beach! The buses are so frequent and it's so nice to come back to Albir Gardens and enjoy the grounds and pool!

We also found so many nice restaurants in Albir and Altea (a nice walk along the beach front or the number 10 bus away) compared to Benidorm. The restaurants recommended by the rep were the worst ones, if you appreciate good food then try and find El Patio, El Sacristan, there's a nice Indian near the beach and also Pizza and Cia :)

There are loads of trips you can go on aswell, I highly recommend the "24 Mile Bike Ride" - all downhill!! Through the mountains, the best experience I have had on holiday ever!
We also went to Terra Mitica, the theme park in Benidorm, really good for the whole family!

I hope you choose this hotel as your base, it's well worth the money, the staff are brilliant and the apartments are so spacious and clean! The only downside was the entertainment at night, because we stayed for 2 weeks we had the same entertainment repeated the second week :(

Good value for money

by TripAdvisor Member JuGravesendKent

Just back from a week break at the Albir gardens with my husband.Weather was great.We went all inclusive.There is no day time entertainment for adults but plenty for the kids.Food was good with a variety of hot and cold every meal.Apartments are basic but okay for sleeping and showering.We were plagued with ants in our apartment but were given a spray to kill them.The maid service was not good with us having to sweep up the dead ants after complaining the cleaner hadnt cleaned them up for three days.The evening entertainment was also basic with kareoki,reptile show,spanish dancers etc.Good points were pool area,plenty of sunbeds, friendly staff,themed food nights.Bad points,lack of parasols at the pool area,cleaning of apartment,all inclusive finishing at book out time 12 noon.Drinks etc had to be paid for after 12 noon until leaving time.Cash customers at the bar were served before all inclusive guests.In our opinion a 2 star hotel and not a 3 star.Would we go back,i think we would have to weigh up the good and bad and if we were looking for a 2 star value for money holiday.

Brilliant!

by TripAdvisor Member marg-co

We stayed here with our 2 teenage sons (16&19) having only booked 2 weeks previously!
We were in separate apartments in neighbouring blocks, this suited them and us! Accomodation was clean, spacious and had individual balconies with furniture, There was a TV and air conditioning, this does work (&well) but you have to get a remote for it from reception for a refundable deposit.
Pools were superb and very clean, the deeper one was never busy even in July. You did have to reserve sunbeds though, but there were always plenty of chairs.
Food in the restaurant was very good and plentiful. 5 euros for breakfast and 10 euros for evening meal. There are also plenty of places to eat in Albir, we recommend Biblos (8.95 for 4 courses&!/2 bottle wine!!)
Entertainment was hit and miss, sometimes better than others!
Very good water park( Aqualandia) and theme park (Terra Mitica)nearby, both reachable by bus, and of course Benidorm (worth a visit!)
Overall Albir Gardens are brilliant value for money and a perfect quiet base outside the hustle and bustle of Benidorm. We would certainly return!

Could do much better.....

by TripAdvisor Member cfc_7

Returned from a weeks holiday at Albir Gardens on 7th July, and to be honest, was happy to leave the place.
To be fair, I should, at the outset, inform that we have never stayed at such a large complex before, so my feelings on the place are perhaps a little driven by this fact, but there's still no disguising that it was not a completely pleasant holiday experience.

The transfer from the airport was approximately 40 minutes, with ours being the first stop. On arrival, we were dealt with efficiently, by the reception staff, who were courteous and friendly. We were allocated room 109, in Block I, which was a ground floor apartment, despite my request at the time of booking, and indeed a phone call to the hotel 4 days before we left, that we be put in a top floor apartment. We went back to reception immediately and asked to be moved, but were told that this was impossible, as the complex was totally full. This actually was not true, but I will return to this later.

The one-bed apartment itself was clean on arrival, but was disappointingly small and tired. In talking to another family, we found out that their block (H) had been refurbished, but ours obviously hadn't. The kitchen units were very old and the bottoms were manky, due to water penetration over a long period of time. What we originally thought was a microwave, turned out to be an overly large grill, which was riddled around the edges with rust. As others have already said, pans etc were limited. There was a new fridge, although the seal on the door was not great and consequently, our first job was to mop up puddled water over the bottom of the fridge and on the kitchen floor.

The bathroom was even worse... cracked and broken tiles were evident and the grouting had disintegrated and was in fact non-existant around the bath, where a shower would mean water getting down behind the bath... goodness knows what it was like behind there! Additionally, closing the door was an adventure in itself, as the handle would sometimes fail to open the door properly, and on a few occasions, we had to "rescue" our boys, who were "locked in"!

The main living area is very small and to be honest, would have been more suited to a couple with one small child. The small area was further compromised by a large dining table and 4 chairs and a coffee table. There was a TV, which provided about a dozen channels, mainly Spanish, but also with Eurosport and Sky News.

The balcony was small, but somehow they managed to fit a small table and 3 chairs on it, however, only 2 people could practically fit comfortably. This overlooked a garden area. My fear was that it provided a bit of a security risk, as it could easily be accessed by simply climbing over the rails, which my kids did easily on many occasions, to play ball in the garden.

The apartments' location means it is very noisy. Being right by the front communal door, which was opened and closed constantly and people running up and down the stairs. It was a particular pain after midnight, when the "entertainment" stopped and there would be people coming back, some of them the worst for wear, talking loudly, when we were trying to get to sleep. Then we would get the dragging of furniture across the ceilings above, as people got the portable beds out etc. One consolation, was that our apartment at least had air conditioning, which was very welcome during the day. The remote control for which, was available from reception, for a refundable 20 euro deposit. Safety deposit boxes are also available for hire and are situated in the reception area. These work out at about 10 euros for the week, plus an additional, refundable 10 euro deposit.

Finally, and extremely annoyingly, the cleaners NEVER visited our apartments during the whole week that we were ther! NO towel changes ... NO sheet changes and NO cleaning... NOTHING!

There are 3 pools... one paddling pool, one medium depth saltwater pool and one deep conventional pool, (the shallowest area being 1.54 metres). Despite there being in excess of 400 apartments on the complex, I counted just 15 parasols. Typically, by 8.30am, these are already "reserved" by towel, as seems the norm these days, unfortunately!
Poolside, there is a bar and also a snack bar, serving, hot dogs, burgers, chips etc.

There is a large restaurant on site, servicing all meals. We only had breakfasts in it, which cost 5.5 euros for adult and 3 euros for children. There was plenty of variety, and couldn't really be faulted. People that we spoke to who had eaten lunch and dinner there, were satisfied.

Here's a tip for you though .... we got friendly with a couple on the flight there from Belfast and on the second day, they enquired about going all-inclusive. They were offered, and received, all-inclusive for 6 days (Monday to Sunday) for two adults and two children (aged 12 and 11) for 185 euros, total... that's just 31 euros per day for a family of four!... all meals, snacks, ice-creams and drinks from 8am to midnight!

The bar area is suitably large and contains a couple of pool tables and machines and a suite of internet stations. Unfortunately, during the entire week, it was filled from morning to night with Spanish agents and customers on timeshare trips. I would say that there were about 60 people at any one time, walking around the complex in groups of 5 or 6 and viewing empty apartments (presumably the refurbished ones that we were denied), then retreating to the bar for the hard sell.

There is nightly "entertainment" which starts at about 7.30pm and goes on until midnight. The "Animation Crew" are all Spanish and to be honest, it would be kind to say that it is mediocre, but I suppose it serves its' purpose of keeping people there to buy drinks at the bar. Annoyingly though, it is aimed predominantly at the Spanish, with occasional translations into English. This includes, bingo, musical chairs and a reptile "show". There is supposed to be a full programme of daily children's entertainment as advertised in reception, but again this is Spanish orientated, and I didn't see that many British/Irish taking part. On the one occasion that my kids were approached to take part in an activity, it turned out to be a knitting class! ... just what my kids wanted on holiday....

There are car parking spaces available around the complex for the independent traveller, or for those hiring cars.

As I mentioned before, the complex staff appeared helpful and friendly at all times. However, a big let down, is that the foreign guests come second compared with the Spanish holidaymakers, which, I would say, made up 80% of occupancy while we were there! Examples would be that, despite us queueing to see a receptionist, the Spanish would simply jump the queue and walk up to the front, to be immediately dealt with. On one occasion, a receptionist walked away from an Irish woman in the middle of a query, to deal with a Spanish queue jumper... appaling. It was the same in the bar.
On one occasion, my 2 boys had booked an hour on the table tennis table and after 20 minutes, 3 Spanish boys had come over and tried to bully them off, banging on the table and generally trying to make it impossible to play. I went over to see what the problem was, and one of them told me that Reception had said they could play... I told them to clear off, but they continued to skulk around, very close to the table, putting my boys off.
On the whole, the Spanish holidaymakers themselves were rude and strutted around the place like they owned it.

There is a good supermarket opposite the apartments and the prices are reasonable. Within a couple of minutes, there is another larger, supermarket, which is used more by the locals, so is a good sign.

Although the resort isn't overly large, there are many restaurants, including quite a few Chinese, an Indian, Argentinian, Tex-Mex and others... there is also a McDonalds about 10 minutes walk away.

You can take a relaxing 2 1/2 mile stroll to the nearby resort of Altea, via the walkway alongside the pebble beach. Altea is very much a Spanish resort and working town and is actually quite busy. Alternatively, you can jump on the no. 10 bus outside the apartments and get to Altea for 1 euro. At the same bus stop (and for the same amount) you can get the bus going the other way to Benidorm, which is approximately 5 miles away. It must be an acquired taste though, because I found it to be unpleasant as a resort, dirty, overcrowded and overbearing... maybe it's just me....

We spent an enjoyable day at Terra Mitica theme park - we went on a Monday, which was a good move, as it wan't too crowded. In fact the longest we had to queue for a ride was 10 minutes. The park itself is quite expansive and is based on 5 lands .. Egyptian, Greek, Roman etc and there are a few hairy rides there to say the least, to satisfy a seasoned adrenalin junkie, as well as fun water based rides, carousels etc... very enjoyable. Entry is 32 euros for adults and 25.5 euros for kids. However, the reps in the hotel have special deals and we paid a total of 87 euros for 4 of us and also the privilege of not having to queue at the main entrance to the park.

The weather all week was fantastic ... 32-35 degrees everyday and the evenings being warm also (around 22 degrees). Although we had packed a couple of light long sleeved garments for the evenings, we didn't use them.

Having said all the above, my kids pretty much enjoyed the holiday, due largely to teaming up with a couple of likeminded kids. Nonetheless, we certainly wouldn't go back to this resort, or more particularly to the Albir Gardens ... it's just not for us!

Excellent Value

by TripAdvisor Member TorquayPete

We stayed here for 5 nights over the school half term - from the Bank holiday Monday until the Saturday. Cost £119 for all four of us in one bed apartment - 2 adults & 2 children - not including flights of course.

Great swimming pools - a little fresh. Friendly staff. Nice gardens. Plenty of sunloungers. Good Supermarket opposite. Great weather.

Fairly typical 3 star standard - furniture in room a little tired but good and clean.

Would go back again

All inclusive?! Not quite...

by TripAdvisor Member Lipanage84

We returned after our stay from 13-20 June 2007. Myself, partner and our two children (1 & 3) stayed in this resort after booking a cheap late deal through otbeach.com. We arrived to a nice looking hotel booked in at reception were given a piece of green card as our all incluive pass and two room card keys, directed to our rooms. Luckily stayed in block L so not that far to walk and the room had a good sized living area with large sofa bed, TV and dining table, good sized bedroom and tidy bathroom and kitchen. Decor nothing amazing but was clean and comfortable. On ground floor with a small balcony facing the pool so all fine. Breakfast is 8-10am lunch 1-3pm and dinner 8-10pm YOU DO NOT GET ANY SNACKS in between so more like full board with drinks. We ended up spending a small fortune as we rarely made breakfast and never made lunch so was a complete waste of money for us! Food was samey edible disappointing for an apparently 4* as it was sold to us. Fruit had seen better days. Staff (bar one or two) are rude, unhelpful, arrogant and completely put a dampner on the holiday. Entertainment, the reptile show and parrot show are good, only last about 20 mins then they spend around an hour getting you to have a pic taken for 10euros a pop. Had a few good singers and a karaoke. All inclusive have to go to a seperate end of the bar, dont be suproised if you are left standing much longer then paying customers! You can get a drink each at one time and all in ques can build up. If you pay you can have a pint glass, if not you have a small glass of beer, when questioned the staff said it was to stop getting people drunk LOL more like scrimp on the pennys!!!! The pool area is amazing and always enough beds to go round. When the other spanish people arrive for their hols, check how good the food becomes!! And how often the entertainers talk in spanish in comparison to english, not very nice. There was a good kids play area and the childrens entertainers were lovely. Not much for the kids to do and the beach is around 30 minutes walk and disappointing, its pebbley hurts your feet and a bit of a drop to the sea. The bus drivers have limited english which is not a problem being your in spain but make sure you know where your going and which direction bus to catch as we did not and ended up in Altea, was like a little rough ghost town! Couldn't get back quick enough! There are a few nice places to eat, a cafe just across the road, an irish cafe a little further down and an italian by the beach provides awesome authentic pizza, the best you will ever have had. The Terra Natura is an excellent day out, has its own awesome slide/pool park too so take your costumes, under 4's get in free too so a wicked day out. If you wanted to go more then once buy a season ticket for 100euros and you will save a fair bit! We never did head in to Benidorm after the bus experience lol but a few friends we made there did and they said it can get quite overcrowded on the beach but otherwise lovely. Would we go back?? Well we would not book all inclusive again as was not really worth it, but if they had a 'staff facelift' then definately. I think the staff forget that without us they would not have a job. Its not hard to smile and be polite. If only they could learn that...

Comments