Hostal Mont Royal

Hostal Mont Royal
Booking.com Priceline.com HostelBookers.com

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Hostal on Alicante's eastern edge

We chose the Mont Royal, which is more like a hostal than an actual hotel, because we wanted to be close to the Mediterranean Sea in an area with a few restaurants and it also had some good reviews. At only 40 Euros (C$70) per night for the two of us, it seemed like a good choice. However, maybe I should have obtained a city map instead of trying to find it using my Google print-out of driving directions!

It was after 4 PM on a Tuesday by the time we had flown in from Madrid and picked up our rental car at the airport. After bypassing the main part of Alicante on the E15/A7 we veered off into the maze of streets - which soon became a jumble as we failed to spot signs or were diverted by roadworks. After driving for quite some time along a coastal street we realized that we had no idea where we were so, on a section that had very little traffic, I pulled a U-turn to head back into town. Just then a police car came around the bend headed in my new direction - I waved them down as they went by and they stopped. Language abilities on both sides were not up to par but they got the picture thanks to my map and gestured for us to follow them! After quite a drive they got us into position and we thanked them profusely before driving off to find the hostal a few minutes later as darkness really began to take hold!

Unique Quality: I was glad to see its nice large parking lot with a sliding steel gate that is controlled by the room card - better than leaving the car parked on the street. Check-in was quickly accomplished and our room was a nice size with a small attached bathroom. However, when we went down to their adjoining restaurant for an evening meal the staff said it was way too early to eat. The air was thick with smoke and quite a few people were sitting around drinking as loud music played. We then began wandering the streets looking for something else and finally 'succeeded' (see my 'Nightlife' tip). A single internet computer was hooked up in front of check-in and we used it a few times - it cost E1 per half-hour.

Sleeping was a bit of a problem because this hostal seems to be used by local construction workers of some sort. Room doors were banging and various noises could be heard between the rooms at odd hours as both the workers and their vehicles in the adjoining parking lot were coming and going. Not the best place in the world to relax but it did the trick.

Directions: Located on the point of land that sticks out into the Mediterranean east of the main part of Alicante

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

ECONOMICAL HOSTAL WITH BREAKFAST

When we decided we wanted to go to the Allicante area, we needed to find a place to stay. We found a place through Booking.com (an excellent website by the way). We chose HOSTAL MONT ROYAL because of its location in Playa San Juan and it was a short walk to the beach.
    We stayed two nights and it was 53 Euros per night with breakfast included.
    The Hostal is older but quite cozy. Our room was three floors up. We had two beds, a desk, shower and TV (all Spanish stations).
    The breakfast was at the La Palloza which was right next to the Hostal. It consisted of coffee, fresh orange juice and two pieces of toasty with jam and butter.

More about Hostal Mont Royal

OUR TRIP TO SPAIN - January 21 - February 11, 2008

by LoriPori

"HIGHLIGHTS OF OUR TRIP"

We stayed for three weeks and this time we tried out the Apartamentos Bajondillo in Torremolinos. We both really like it there and it will be "our place" from now on.
While in Spain, I celebrated by "60th" Birthday. It wasn't as traumatic as I thought it would be. I really hated the idea of turning 60. On Sunday, January 27, I celebrated in Malaga with good friends Carmen (Carmela71), Stace (Beach_dog), Sandra (Salsagirl) and Isa (Belsaita) who flew down from Barcelona to spend the weekend with all of us. We had a lovely traditional Spanish dinner at "La Casona" in Malaga. We also visited La Alcazaba, Gibralfaro and the Picasso Museum. What better way to celebrate than with good food and good friends. Also thanks very much for the beautiful basket of flowers (including birds of paradise - my favourite).
Tuesday & Wednesday, January 29 & 30, Hans' brother Wim and sister Leida came from Portugal for a visit. It's about a four hour drive. It was so great to see them.
Thursday, January 31, Hans and I took a local bus to the lovely white village of Mijas. It's a tradition that we go there at least once during our stay.
The highlight of our vacation was a trip with Carmen and Stace to Cordoba, on Saturday February 2. It has been a dream of mine to see the fabulous Mezquita Mosque/Cahthedral. It was even more beautiful than I imagined and HUGE at 23,000 square metres.
On February 5, 6 & 7, Hans and I rented a Ford Focus for three days and drove up to Alicante area. We stayed in the Hostal Mont Royal in Playa San Juan. We made a lovely tour of the Peninsula north of Benidorm. We visited the lovely towns of Calpe, Benissa, Altea and Denia and had wonderful views of the area from Cap de San Antoni.
Overall, we had a wonderful vacation and were blessed with warm weather for most of the three weeks.

Comments