Tryp Ciudad De Alicante Hotel

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Alicante

Cabo de Santa PolaCabo de Santa Pola

A closer look at how the cliff drops awayA closer look at how the cliff drops away

The local sea foodThe local sea food

Iron structures in La LonjaIron structures in La Lonja

Rescue Mission!!

by cemeterybird

I have to do a rescue mission as my nephew is stranded somewhere up a mountain near Albox (Saliente?) without a passport (don't ask - long story). He is also keeping watch over my sisters belongings which are in a van that needs to be driven back to the UK - so like a mug, I volunteered my services!!

Anyway, I shall be flying into Alicante, where under normal circumstances, I would have hired a car to drive down but as I have to pick up the van and drive across Spain to Santander, that's a 'no no'.

So, I have to find a way to get to Albox from Alicante. I've been told that I can bus it and there is an Airport bus that will take me to Murcia, thereafter I have to catch an ALSA bus but I am having trouble getting into their website.

I originally posted this question in the Murcia section but have since found out that I cannot get a flight at the right price until May, so I have changed my plans to fly into Alicante.

If anyone can help with any other bright ideas (like offering to drive me down lol or recommending a taxi firm that would do a reasonable long haul price), please, it would be much appreciated.

by Franja

Ryanair flys from London Stanstead to Almeria some days a week. I guess that this is the best solution. Then, to reach Albox from Almería will not be difficult.

by cemeterybird

Thanks for your suggestions - still having trouble accessing the ALSA site but I'll keep trying.
As a rule, I wouldn't even think of flying from Stansted as I live in Bristol but it occurred to me that more travelling before the flight and less after, seemed a sensible solution in the circumstances, until I looked for a one way flight with Ryanair and found they were 'from' £190.00 - that was without any of the extras they are so famous for, so I guess that one is out too!
One option I thought of was a 'One Way Car Hire' and the closest I found was with Europcar - dropoff at Mojacar. So that still would leave the problem of getting from there to the mountains and from what I found, buses through Mojacar only go up and down the coast, not inland.
I'm starting to lose the will to live lol!!!

by cemeterybird

Thanks Pedmar - the movela website was much easier to get into and I have found that my trip is 'do-able' if (and a BIG IF) everything is more or less on time.
The only thing I would like to know now is if I have to pre-book the bus tickets or if I can give cash to the driver? Also, can I buy a ticket for the three buses I need to catch in one go, or do I buy them separately?

Of course, all this hinges on the flights not being grounded again - deep sigh:-)

by cemeterybird

Thanks Pedmar for all your advice (on all my questions in the different forums:-)
You've been very helpful.

by cemeterybird

Grrrrr!!! My rescue mission has temporarily fallen through! I made various phone calls this morning to my Insurance Co., the RAC and the DVLA and it appears there are all sorts of legalities to sort through about the van before it can be driven back to the UK - so my trip is on hold. My sister doesn't want my nephew to move away from her belongings because she is afraid everything will get robbed if he does, so meanwhile the poor kid is stuck out there..... as the saying goes: 'You can pick your friends but you can't pick your family'!!
The advice you have all given me though, will stand me in good stead when, eventually, I do get out there.

Travel Tips for Alicante

When in Alicante, please, walk...

by Sherekhan

When in Alicante, please, walk through the north pier of the harbour. You will get a huge sight of the sea facade of the town with the palm trees, the most representative buildings and -of course- the castle on the top of the hill. I think you can hardly forget this sight The sea is a permanent presence in Alicante and is what any 'alicantino' will miss when far from Alicante

Cuevas del Canelobre (Caves of Canelobre)

by Christina1881

The Canelobre caves you can see the fantastic shapes and forms sculpted in the rocks by water, patience and time. The extraordinary height and the unique conditions of the cave create exceptional acoustics, like a Gothic cathedral, which can even be used for music conserts.
Located just outside of Busot (Alicante).

Dársena.

The name of...

by Humberto_san

Dársena.

The name of the restaurant is 'DÁRSENA'.
Exceptional conference to the port. Placed in the best zone of Alicante, this restaurant is one of the most prestigious of the city. They offer an enormous variety of rices, to better which(whom). Concretly more than 70 they appear in his(its) letter. Besides they possess(rely on) a privileged situation and from his(its,her) large windows it is possible to to contemplate a precious(beautiful) sight of the port. The restaurant is elegantly decorated and the service is nice and attentive.

A destacar :
Acceso discapacitados , aparcamiento , aceptan tarjetas
Buen precio , bodega destacable , con terraza
Precio: De 24 a 36 €
Tipo de cocina: Mediterránea , Pescados y mariscos , Valenciana

Horario : De 13 a 16 y de 21 a 0 h. Cierra domingos y lunes por la noche

zona : Centro
Accesos :
BUS: La Florida- Sagrada Familia 2 The from Alicante kitchen is typically Mediterranean. The history of Alicante, his geographical situation, his climate and the fertility of his lands they have gone providing her with an enormous wealth and variety.

The rice, ingredient bases of the whole Valencian kitchen, he is a protagonist of a great diversity of recipes, in which it is accompanied of fished and seafood of the Mediterranean and vegetables of the garden. In the interior they win I weigh the vegetables, the pig and the hunt.

The best rices that can eat up in alicante serious paella of shellfish, mixed paella that is the one that takes meat together with shellfish and paella of shellfish only(alone) and also this the black rice, the fideua ... and this way podria to say many classes of rices. At this restaurant it(he) is very good the rice a banda

There is also a museum and a...

by inthegarden

There is also a museum and a sculpture garden in 'Castillo De Santa Barbara'
The views from up here are great! Look down at the city from the castle. You can see most of the city from this height.

SAN NICOLAS DE BARI CATHEDRAL

by Hosell

Located in the old town and very close to the town hall,the Catedral of San Nicolas de Bari,is another must see in Alicante.
It is a small Cathedral,comparing with other Cathedrals in Spain,but is beautiful.It was built during XVII century,on reinassance and baroque style.Also has a beautiful high altar and don't miss a visit to the garden with some beautiful columns on it.

Another nice church to see on the area and very close to the Cathedral is Iglesia de Santa Maria.

Comments