Avda. de Nicaragua, 44, , Benidorm, Comunidad Vale

Servigroup Calypso
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Rated 11% higher but also costs 23% more than other 3 star hotels

• The redemption!

Late deal. Co-op Travel. 'Well Mr Bailey, we've either got Turkey, or.......

BENIDORM!!!!!'

The very name struck fear into my heart (and my arse - see previous visit). Turkey didn't sound too appealing, but the Terralta apartments were slowly winning us over.

Set slightly out of town (there is a trek of about 1.5km from the town centre and most of it's uphill - taxis are about 3-4 euros from the old town back though), it commands some good views and must be one of the only LOW-RISE hotels in the area.

The accomodation is extremely clean and well-kept and the maid service is regular. All furnishings ae up to date and there is loads of wardrobe and drawer space. We were right outside a little kiddies playground, just before the enormous pool!

Unique Quality: Even though we went in October/November last year, it still reached mid-late 20's, but the slowly shelving pool was a bit cold. They've got another though at the back which is covered and a bit warmer.

Special mentions to the receptionist, who couldn't do enough for you (makes a change) and the mighty Alvaro. A sort of Spanish version of Gladys Pugh (along with the sound effect on the PA).

With a beard.

Face Painting, Discos, Quizzes, Shuffleboard, Rifle Shooting, you name it - he was there, and kept the kids entertained no end.

I would definitely come back to the Terralta as it's a fantastic hotel and a lot of the other hotels in Benidorm could learn a lot from it. Just a shame about the location.

Directions: Up a hill, stop before you get to Terra Mitica.

Oxygen masks optional.

More about Calypso Hotel

'Darby and Joan' by the sea

by TripAdvisor Member Yorkshire_Blade

The Hotel Calypso - Benidorm. Where do i start ? ok then.
1. Appearances
From the front and indeed throughout the hotel is smart / very clean and impecibly turned out - i NEVER found anything wrong with the appearance.
2. Upkeep
The Staff were always very busy. There was never ANY litter. The beds were made daily. Fresh towels daily.
3. Food
The food was fresh and very reasonable. 6 /10 i would say.
4. Facilities
Where do i start ? The SMALL pool was desalinated sea water. IT remained VERY cold throughout our stay - TOO small !!!
VERY little childrens facilites - a small play area and a small sectioned off area in the pool. The restaurant counters were made for Adults - kids couldnt see what was on offer.
5. Entertainment
Again i cannot comment on this as it was entirely directed at the majority of the residents i.e pensioners on long stay holoidays - Tea dances at night. Thankfully the hub-hub of benidorm was across the road !!! take the kids to the Morgan Tavern and work your way down. MY daughter commented why we arent staying in one night. The reply was - there is nothing to stay in FOR !!!!

The question - would i go back - the answer ... not suprisingly .... no.

nb whilst there - i left my camera bag on the main steps - and went out - only on returning later on that night - did i realise it was missing. i went down to the reception who were holding it for me - they were SO very helpful ! Thanks.

Where's the entertainment?

by TripAdvisor Member boreham

What a disappointment this hotel was. I would recommend it to ballroom dancers only. I have never been to a hotel with such bad entertainment. From 8 pm a disc jockey plays exactly the same records every night - he never talks and looks as though he would much rather be somewhere else! From 11 pm there was very amateurish entertainment for 20 mins. We went in January and one day it rained all day - there was nothing to do in the hotel.

The food was good and the rooms OK. We were in the annexe and the rooms were warm because they were so small. People staying in the main hotel were complaining they were cold.

Sorry Calypso, we wont be coming back!

wouldnt go back

by TripAdvisor Member silvertigress

we went to benidorm for my grans 70th birthday jan/feb 07. we were a party of ten. I had sent an email and phoned in advance to ask for champagne and flowers for two of the party.

seemed to be in a good location. when we arrived, we were impressed by the reception area, clean and spacious. however thats where it ended. they said only one room had been reserved under our name, and there were ten of us!! only one set of flowers had been arranged aswell. we did manage to get rooms after two managers were called. The older male receptionist was very rude and although he spoke english he prefered pointing and grunting.

we did get rooms on the annexe after i had sent three emails and the travel agent had asked specifically, but none of the rooms were ready.

the mirrors were damn annoying too.

the rooms were adequate and the cleaning ladies were really nice and helpful. most of the staff, especially the waiters were helpful too.

the entertainment was terrible and I agree with an earlier post. while we were there they played the same songs every night and the Dj was the most miserable man i have ever seen!!! i suppose it would be fine if you like ballroom dancing and stuff. but my gran was 70 and it was even too old fashioned for her taste.
the food was the worst part of the trip and i can honestly say it ruined my holiday. There was a great selection but the salad bar looked like the stuff had been put out again from the night before....every night!! I am vegetarian and didnt expect a wide range of foods but everything we had for the whole week was soggy, greasy and plain horrible. my aunt lived on custard for the week! and that was the opinion of the non veggies too!!

they served pasta one night as a "international option" for dinner and it tasted exactly like spagetti hoops. I could have cried. so that was the end for me and i ate at subway for the rest of my stay.

sorry hotel calypso i will never be back!!!

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Buffywood

I have just returned from staying at the Calyspo Hotel. It was an excellent hotel. The room was excellent with maid service every day and they were brilliant. Very well looked after by all concerned. Food was great with a wide variety on offer for everybody and I looked forward to my meals every day. Excellent service in the Restaurant too. Weather was awful, the first time I have been to Benidorm and it rained every day and cold too, but thankfully the Hotel had heating on and warm blankets, and a television which came in handy, well couldn't have done without it with the weather being bad. ha ha.

Everybody was friendly and am hoping to go back again in the near future.

Many thanks

Ideal location

by TripAdvisor Member Bestdriver

Stayed for first two weeks in June and had a lovely time.
Couldn't be in a better place, just off from the main busy street. We had sea view room.
The last reviewer sums it all up really well. If you want something clean, good food, helpful staff and are happy to do your own thing and not expect the hotel to entertain you - its ideal.
Lots of old folk in the hotel, but 'all' of Benidorm is full of old folk, just walk along the waters edge on the beach....theres thousands of em! - at least they pass the time of day with you, which is always nice.
The lifts are small and get hot within few second when full. Room was bit empty of furniture and looked drab on first seeing but got used to it in a day or so.
The air con worked well and could be left on when you weren't in. Bathroom good. Towels and bedding always fresh. Meals good for spain. Got steak & Kidney pie, cornish pasty, warm rice pud, bread and butter pud and in the morning 'english' sausages for breakfast. The rest of the food was good to very good. All served hot and microwave if you wanted it.
Good hotel for disabled-plenty of them there too. Never seen so many broken legs in arms in pot! There's a small climbing frame for kids which was good, you don't need too much at the hotel for kids because the resort itself has plenty to do.
I would go back there again. At least I know the food is good, my room would be clean and its in a great place. YOU MUST SEE 'RICH [--]'....

Excellent Choice

by TripAdvisor Member gwenie501

Came back 23rd June 2007, stayed for two weeks, my husband and i. What a lovely hotel. We are in our late fortys, yes there were older people than us, but also younger than us. A wide variety of all ages. The food, rooms and staff were excellent. The position of the hotel was in an ideal area for the nightlife right across from Morgans Tavern. Ten minutes walk to the beach, which was well worth it. What was good in the restaurant was that the staff served the hot meals onto your plates therefore there was no worry about any guests getting burnt. Overall an excellent place to stay, and would definitely go again, it is our fourth year going to Benidorm, and only the first time staying at the Calypso, but will know make it our regular place to stay.

A nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member petefreak

First time i've been to benidorm and i'm glad it was in the Hotel Calypso.As you enter the hotel you are greeted by the friendly staff and easy on the eye layout.Three lifts were able to take you to your floor (we were on the tenth).They can be very busy at eating times i.e stop at every floor but never mind.Room for me was a little small but very adequate and very clean.Rooms cleaned every day to a high stardard.Fresh towels and linen.Nice view of the sea from our balcony.A safe for your personal property was in the room which i found very handy for a small deposit of 10 euros at reception.

Pool was fine as was the rest of the layout of the pool area.Only a few towels on sunbeds early in the morning.Main beach was out 5-10 mins casual walk away.

Food in the hotel was good, breakfast was a fry up if you wanted it but many other choices like fruits, cereal, cold meats and a glass of bucks fizz if you fancied it.Lunch and evening meal were good with many choices.I normally went for the salads and a nice sweet afterwards.Staff were superb and always had a smile on their faces, very willing to help when required.

Entertainment was a bit a of a let down for me as it was more towards the older couples so we went out every night which we didn't mind at all.

The missus was a bit ill one evening so we contacted the emergency number for a doctor who was out within 10 mins and was worth the 70 euro charge, very good and quick service

Definitely go back

by TripAdvisor Member Loomac

This is the first time we had ever stayed in a 3 star hotel before always stayed in 4 stars. But was well impressed with the Calypso.

Hotel is spotless and staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms a fair size, cleaned everyday and clean towels and linen if you required it.

Food was the best i had ever eaten abroad before. Plenty and choice and fresh every day.

Pool clean and plenty of sunbeds.

Hotel in a very good location. 5 mins walk to beach and a couple of mins walk to shops and pubs. We even walked to mundomar (animal park) which only took us 20 mins but if you didnt want to walk there are always plenty of taxis and a bus service which is very cheap.

Hotel entertainment not to bad but more for the older generation. But this didnt matter to us as went into town every night, lots of things to do and so close by.

Definitely recommend this hotel for anyone thinking of going to Benidorm.

Top marks for the Calypso!!!

5 star food in a 3 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MANDJGalashiels

Just returned from a weeks stay in the calypso and had an excellent time. The frontage of the hotel gave good impressions and we were not to be disappointed.All the staff were helpfull and friendly, especially the bar staff. The food was first class so much choice, all fresh and quantity of choice numerous..The bedroom area was perhaps small and the air conditioning a bit outdated but thankfully worked ok as temps were 36 degrees in the shade. Would recommend this hotel to any potential holidaymakers if not for the food alone...will definately stay there again when in benidorm. Ask for a room in the annex for the quieter part of the hotel if you require a peacefull vacation.A wonderful stay at a customer friendly hotel,

Mike and June