Ac Los Vascos

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less and rated 11% higher than other 3 star hotels

More about Madrid

Posters of old Spanish moviesPosters of old Spanish movies

Carlos V fountain street level - station on leftCarlos V fountain street level - station on left

Sorolla MuseumSorolla Museum

Picture of departure gate screensPicture of departure gate screens

How do I file a complaint?

by plastelina

I recently spent a week in Madrid and stayed at a guest house that I found advertised on CraigsList named "The Vintage House" (http://thevintagehouse.org). Although "The Vintage House" was clean and centrally located (convenient if you are willing to ignore the Gran Via prostitutes who stand 100 meters from the building's entrance), this place misleadingly charges hotel rates (70 euros/night paid in advance) for fairly meager accommodations and shockingly rude service. When I arrived, there was no welcome but rather a blunt demand for 100 euros in cash deposit. At the end of the week, when I asked for help in calling a taxi service to take me to the airport and not only did the owner's representative (a very bitter older gay man named Fernando, who parades around the halls in a white bathrobe) refuse to help me make the call but he even refused to give me the phone number for a taxi service and closed the door to his room practically in my face. I also had difficulties securing the return of my 100 euro cash deposit, and finally got the money back only by threatening to sue. I suppose it is my fault for taking a risk on this place rather than staying in a hotel, but its website made it look deceptively alluring.
Thanks for any suggestions.

by worldinabag

Hi

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with them. I note that the guest house's website states "Guaranteed by City Council Controlled Licence" so the City Council may be a place to start. Much easier though is posting a review on Trip Advisor - www.tripadvisor.com.

by plastelina

Next time, I will ask to see the book. Actually, at the Vintage House there was no reception desk. The main door opens into a lounge with nothing other than furniture. Fernando made a copy of my passport but he did it in his bedroom, from which he also emerged with the keys to my room and, eventually and after some protest, my cash deposit. The place is not currently listed on Trip Advisor, but I've sent them a request to list it so that I can write a truthful but negative review.

by Roadquill

Tripadvisor/Venere, etc. will only post user reviews if they can sign up the hotel/hostel to represent them as a booking agent. If you want to publicize your experience VT is the best place but you have to put up a Madrid page and the do a "hotel" tip on the Vintage House. That way it will stay (rather than get lost in the forum) and will show up when potential customers do google searches. I presume you stayed just North of Gran Via, where there is a signficant presence of prostitutes. There are many very nice hotels where street prostitutes are close by, possible they are a bit more discreet. I would say that for any hotel in Madrid central there will be a prostitute within 50 yards. It is just the way it is. Karl

by ter1413

You live and learn!

by delcity

look here for a link to the government run site for tourist information for madrid.{www.towd.com ) if you can not find one for madrid look for the one for spain.
there use to be links to government run offices for tourism in most cities where you could file a complait. after a few complaits the investigator will check the place out and give the operator a fine if he finds the complaits to be valid. more complaits and the bussiness is ordered closed for some time.

by delcity

because you stayed there a week not for just a few days you complait will carry much more weight than one were the compliatant stayed on a couple of days.

Travel Tips for Madrid

You absoluty must visit the...

by zumodemango

You absoluty must visit the Prado Museum and Reina Sofia, walk around Plaza Mayor and eat: bocadillo de calamares, see La Cibeles(a fountain),have a rest in the park Retiro, and don't forget to go out everynight. On Sundays it's wonderful El Rastro(a flea market)where you can buy and then eat and drink something. My first memory of this city is Parque del Retiro.It's a park in the middle of Madrid, you can walk and walk and you want to be here forever.
It's very nice the sky, when it's not covered, blue,with a special light,like in a Velazquez's painting.

PUERTA DEL SOL At Nightfall

by Krystynn

The absolutely busy Puerta del Sol area by night.

Be careful if you're coming here at night. There are quite a few pickpockets on the prowl in this area. Just don't put on an 'Alice in Wonderland' look (read: looking lost) and you should be fine.

Go ahead and have fun.

Avanti Sport Center

by africateach

There is a gym that is around 100 US a month, but it is right across from the Moncloa station. It is a nice center with plenty of equipment and decent music. The people there were really nice. I was trying to remember my spanish as I had just arrived and they were very patient. The place gets crowded later in the evening, but still enough for all. I found that they even have a personal trainer there to help you and it doesnt cost any more money. Of course after a good work out, I met some cool people and we all went for water at a little bar, then an hour later we stared drinking with TAPAS! SWEET!!!

Surprising neighborhood behind Las Ventas

by agarcia

Who would have thought? What is left of one of the most charming streets of Madrid could be found just 100 meters of the monumental (though a bit cold, imho) Las Ventas bullring. The beautiful houses of Roma Street and surroundings where conceived as residences for the Madrilian upper middle class of the beginning of the past century. All the building share a common "British" style, that I found most amazing, specially when you realize that the neighborhood is quickly loosing its classy style, as most of the old houses are disappearing, replaced by boring brick buildings. A pity. It could be a good idea to go there while there's still anything to be seeing...

Chill out in the Plaza Mayor

by fairy_dust about Plaza Mayor

After a day of sightseeing, you might like to relax in the Plaza Mayor. You can sit at an outdoor cafe and have a drink or two. There are people of all ages there, and you'll probably see some buskers and street performers doing an act. Everything from musicians to fire juggling/poi. Anything goes.

Comments