Apartamentos Apodaca

Calle Apodaca, Madrid, 28004, Spain

More about Madrid

Details, darlingDetails, darling

Puerto del SolPuerto del Sol

Hamburger? No! Ham? Sí!Hamburger? No! Ham? Sí!

The turtle pond at Atocha StationThe turtle pond at Atocha Station

Estrella night train

by Ziu9

Dear VT Members!

I need some informations about Estrella night train, which operates between Madrid and Cerbere. I will take on an Interrail tour in next month, and I'm planning to use this train. I've read in another forum, this train is a shame, which is better to avoid. So, what are the problems with Estrella? Is it only slow, and uncomfortable? Or is it always delayed, and has a problem with security?

If I choose it, will I get a couchette-place 1-2 days before the travel (at the station)?

Thank you for the replies.
Tamás, Hungary

by puerto_lover

I have never travelled on Estrella but I see that it makes many stops and this may be annoying if trying to have a good night's rest.
The stops are: MADRID-CHAMARTIN,ALCALA DE HENARES,GUADALAJARA,SIGUENZA,ARCOS DE JALON,CALATAYUD,ZARAGOZA-DELICIAS,LA PUEBLA DE HIJAR,CASPE,FLIX,MORA LA NOVA,REUS,TARRAGONA,SANT VICENC DE CALDERS,BARCELONA-SANTS,GRANOLLERS CENTRE,CALDES DE MALAVELLA,GIRONA,FLACA,FIGUERES,LLANCA,PORTBOU and finally at long last after several uncomfortable hours CERBERE.

If I wanted to get to Cerbere from Madrid I think I would get to Barcelona first the cheapest way, using the RENFE booking to catch a cheap fast train (under 3 hours) then transfer to the Estacion de Franca and get one of the local trains to Cerbere taking also 3 hours ! Booking ahead I could get a €45 ticket on the fast AVE from Madrid to Barcelona in May.
I don't have any knowledge of Inter Rail passes because I like to book my own tickets with the railway companies in each country and look for best routes. Sometimes I choose airlines.

by Belsaita

Never used it, but as said above, looks like a tiring long night with little sleep. I would not bother much about delays (trains in Spain are usually on time) and regarding safety I guess common sense apply as anywhere.

by Windsailor

Estrella night train has a reputation as a slightly outdated, nothing else really. It goes on time. It is safe, it takes you from point A to point B and back. I have used Estrella train, and I have nothing to complain. Everything worked well.

by Ziu9

Thank you for the replies. I mainly fear of delays, which ruin my journey plan. You say, it's not a typical problem at this train, so I will choose it.

I've been said, probably it's impossible to buy Renfe supplementary ticket for IR ticket in Hungary. So, I have to buy it in Spain. Are there difficulties of getting a ticket, because of running out of seats?
I will use the last, evening AVE train from Zaragoza to Madrid (tuesday), and the Estrella (thursday evening). If I can't buy the the tickets earlier, will I have a real chance to get them on the station, before the departure?

Travel Tips for Madrid

Too much to see in just a month

by AmerIndianPrincess

There's really to much to mention and it's hard to chose just one. I guess just sight seeing of the cathedrals, palaces, museums and night life, squeezed into one day. I miss the sights the most. I miss the family i stayed with when i was there.

CENTRO DE ARTE REINA SOFIA

by Sharrie

If you like modern art, head for CENTRO DE ARTE REINA SOFIA! This is the museum of 20th century art & works by Picasso & Miro can also be found here, aside from their museums in Barcelona. Collection found in this art center includes Picasso's Woman in Blue which he disowned, Salvador Dali's Landsape at Cadaques & the famous Picasso's Guernica.

en Madrid - What`s on

by HORSCHECK

Take a free copy of the brochure "en Madrid - What`s on" which is monthly published by the Madrid Tourist Board. It includes plenty of useful information about what to do, what to see and where to go at day and night. The brochure is available at the Tourist Information Offices.

Do take a trip out of the city...

by Linky_Pinky

Do take a trip out of the city to Segovia to the north west. There's a beautiful castle there and a huge roman aquaduct amazing. If you have time do take a bus short bus ride from Segovia to La Granja de San ildofonso a beautiful palace and grounds we arrived at three and it was just opening for the afternoon.

Flamenco in Madrid

by Belsaita about "Al Andalus"

UPDATE (March 2010): THIS PLACE IS CLOSED!!
Someone told me this "tablao" closed some time ago. There are other places where you can enjoy a flamenco night in Madrid. I was to delete this tip, but now I think it may be better to leave it with this updated info. My general advice still stands: you may have a great night in any of the "tablaos", but keep in mind flamenco is NOT typical from Madrid.

I had an international company meeting in Madrid, one year ago. We had only one free night, and our foreign colleagues ask us (3 Spaniards attending the meeting) where to go for a Flamenco show… Not surprisingly, all of us (2 from Madrid, and me) were clueless… as Flamenco is something typical only from the South of Spain. We asked to the hotel receptionist. He recommended us a few places, and we opted for “Al Andalus” as it was the nearest to our hotel. The show was not top quality, but nice, prices were reasonable and we had a great time there. As expected, mainly tourists but also a few locals. Definitely, for a great Flamenco show, you must go to Andalusia, but if you are just visiting Madrid and want to have some fun, it may be a place to consider.

It opens from 22:30 to 06:00. Shows at 23:00 and 01:30 ("Flamenco disco" the rest of the time)

Comments