Aparthotel Andromeda

More about Madrid

So pretty....So pretty....

El Rastro in 1964El Rastro in 1964

Lazaro Galdiano museumLazaro Galdiano museum

Directions on the handle of the cartDirections on the handle of the cart

Hotel outside Madrid on way to Granada

by paembry

My family of 4 is flying into Madrid. We'll be getting a car at the airport and heading to Granada the following day. We're up for driving maybe an hour toward Granada after the flight. (It's a long way from the west coast of the U.S.) Any recommendations of towns or hotels to stay in? It would be nice to stay someplace with something interesting since we get in at lunchtime and will try to stay awake until evening.

Also, we are flying in on a Sunday and will likely be up very, very early on Monday. Are grocery stores open on Sundays to pick up something for breakfast? Also, are there good places to grab food on the main roads? Italy has fabulous Autogrills, I was hoping Spain had something similar.

Thanks ahead of time. Paige

by royalempress

You could consider stopping in Toledo. Toledo is a great town with lots to see. It is particularly nice once all the tour buses leave in the afternoon.

by royalempress

We stayed at the Hotel Alfonso while not as nice as a Parador, I'm sure it was much more reasonably priced. Also, an important point is they had parking in front of their hotel.

On your way to Grandada be sure and stop for a few hours and explore the wind mills and fort at Consuegra. After Consuegra we stayed in a Parador in Ubeda and it was very nice, although, expensive.

by maestrousmc

I concur with all the recommendations for Toledo. Within the day you've set aside for this stop you'll definitely absorb a lot of what it has to offer. My last trip to Spain lasted two weeks and unlike previous trips, I rented a car and drove everywhere: Madrid, Granada, Sevilla, Conil, Cazalla de la Sierra. In doing so I came across the aforementioned roadside stations which offered mediocre, but adequate fare. It's hit or miss really. If you'd like to share where you intend to stay, I can maybe help you better.

by paembry

Thanks for the info everyone; Toledo seems like a great idea. I'm new to VT and can't believe all the helpful answers I've gotten to my questions. Many, many thanks.

by royalempress

your welcome! Spain is a great country with lots to see and do. I hope you have fun and enjoy the Sangria drinks....

Travel Tips for Madrid

See everything you possibly...

by plazacam

See everything you possibly can!!! I know this is not much of a guiding tip but it is all I can do at this time for I am so busy buliding my full site at www.multimadrid.com. One visit I love however is to lie in the Plaza Mayor on the floor just taking in the sun for a few hours on a beautiful afternoon. The day I first arrived in the city (about 4.5 years ago) and totally fell in love with it. I was exhausted from the flight from NY but just had to drop my bags at my apt. and head to the Plaza Mayor. I had spent 25 years dreaming of that moment when I actually passed through the entrance next to 'El Gato Negro' (a very old and traditional fabric store on the corner of the Calle de Postas entrance to the Plaza) and when I was officially in the Plaza I was overcome by the most amazing feeling, impossible to put into words so I have attached a photo at left. For more of my Plaza Mayor photos, videos and live streams of the Plaza Mayor as well as my live Plaza Webcam, please go to www.multimadrid.com/sites/plazamayor/plaza_mayor.htm and enjoy, thanks, Jer...

Centro Cultural de la Villa

by SirRichard

This cultural centre includes a theatre, a cafe (with live shows) and an exhibition hall. You can find schedules in the "Guia del Ocio" and in the main newspapers.
It is located in the basement floor of the Colon Square, under the statue.
I always remember the entrance of this place as one of my first memories of Madrid. Here you can find a little waterfall falling around you, creating a ver special atmosphere, like being inside a waterfall...

Go see a football match

by scottishvisitor

This stadium doesn't look a bit like Pittodrie in Aberdeen or Hampden in Glasgow - in fact like no other - hey there's a lot of money in football...........check the wages bill!! Why not buy a scarf here - you can wear it when it's cold at home

La Corrala

by ger4444

in Lavapies you will find this typical Madrilenian houses. they are build around a courtyard and date back to the 19 th century. its courtyard leads to the plaza, it seems as if the buildings are not completed. Everywhere you can see laundry hanging next to the balconies. The corrala is a monument now. You find the corrala in the area between Calle meson de Paredes and Calle del Sombrerete

La Latina

by sethnem about Trendy areas

La Latina is a great neighborhood in madrid. it is one of the oldest and has many small winding streets making things somewhat hard to find but worth it! on the weekends the cafes, bars, restaurants are overflowing with madrilenos out for the night. you can just sit in one of the squares and watch or go grab a drink and join in the fun.

my favorite place to be at night in madrid. casual but stylish.

Comments