Arturo Norte

More about Madrid

Museo de Cera, MadridMuseo de Cera, Madrid

The Madrid cardThe Madrid card

Inside El RastroInside El Rastro

Calle de Madrid: good luck finding it on your own!Calle de Madrid: good luck finding it on your own!

Area Codes

by nino224

Dumb question: what do the + and - in front a phone number mean?

by petersnice

+ means "insert your country exit code when dialing international numbers" (usually double zero)

- is there to read the number easier (123-456-789 instead of 123456789), no special meaning

by nino224

So if I'm dialing from the US it's 34 plus the 9 digit number? I'm not aware of an exit code here.

Also, if dialing within Spain do I use the 34?

Thanks!

by Redang

Imagine that you are out of Spain and you want to call to Madrid, you must dial:

++ means the number you have to dial for international calls, normally, 00
34 means Spain (33 = France) (44 = UK)...
then, the nimber in Madrid (9 digits) beginnibg with 91

Once in Spain, you only have to dial 9 digits

by petersnice

To call Spain from US you first have to enter US exit code (011), then Spain's international code (34), followed by the rest of the number, usually without the leading zero. It means you'll have to dial 011-34-local number

If you're in Spain and using a spanish phone, dial just the local number. If you're using your mobile phone (by a US carrier) in Spain your calls are still considered international.

More about making international calling (including detailed instructions, list of country codes etc) can be found at www.howtocallabroad.com

by johnincornwall

Very interesting Petersnice about US phones.

With a UK mobile nowadays you just dial the number in Spain when you are there, no international codes. And it seems to recognise what country I am in - for example if I just have a UK number in my phone, if I call it from Spain it automatically sends it to UK. If I put in a Spanish number when I'm in Spain(local number only) I can then press dial from UK and it automatically sends it to Spain. At least my Orange one does.

Amazing.

I'm glad I asked!

Travel Tips for Madrid

Postcard to my daughter from Madrid 1964

by grandmaR

I sent four postcards to my daughter from Madrid in 1964. Two of them had airmail stamps which had a picture of Christ on the cross and said "Correos" down the left side, "Espana" and 8 ptas at the bottom, and over on the right "Misterios S..Rosario" (I can't read the letters after the "S" as they are too small).

Two of them (with pictures from the Prado on the front) had two stamps which were 2 ptas (fushia) and 6 ptas (grey) with a picture of a man

One of them (the one of our hotel where I circled where our room was) has no discernable postmark. This one the postmark says "Las Cartas Para Madrid Y Barcelona Deren Llevar El Numero De To Bistrito Postal" across the top, and then Madrid: 24 Jul 647T: Avion in a circle

This card itself says No 50 Madrid:

Palacio Real, Plaza de Toros
La Cibeles
Avda Jose Antonio - Palacio de Communications I wrote:

Dear Daughter,

Tell Grandmummy that your Auntie and Cousin got on the plane this morning to go home. We couldn't get space to Valencia because there is a festival there; but they are well and healthy. She insists that if I write her, she will forward the letters right on to you.

I still don't know a hotel for Valencia, or indeed anywhere until Nurnberg.

Love
Mummy

Pastillas De Leche

by Danalia

perfect for dessert and the star of a certain occasions

Ingredients

1 ½
cups Fresh milk
tablespoons Powdered sugar
teaspoon Butter
tablespoons Full-cream powdered skim milk
½
cup refined/powdered sugar, for rolling pastillas

Preparation

Boil milk and sugar into a paste. Add butter and powder milk. Mix thoroughly.

Rest pastillas until firm enough to handle. Divide into 20 pieces and roll into small cylinder.

Roll in sugar and wrap in paper.

Navidad: Más fotos (Christmas: More pics)

by Redang

Pics:
- Main: Puerta del Sol: Where Madrileños (people from Madrid) go to welcome the New Year and eat the 12 grpaes (very famous and popular tradition in Spain). Metro: Sol (lines 1, 2 and 3).
- Second: Parque de El Retiro (Retiro Park). This part, metro: Retiro (line 2).
- Third: Puerta de Alcalá (Alcalá Gate). Where? Plaza de la Independencia: Metro: Banco de España (line 2 and Retiro, line 2).
- Puerta del Sol. Metro: Sol (lines 1, 2 and 3).

Salamanca

by ger4444

this neighboorhood is build in chessboard pattern streets. the lower-upperclass lives here. we only find appartment blocks of 6 floors and the street is filled with people in fanzy clothes. we find the best shops and restaurants. you might find yourself sitting next to Cruz in a restaurant.

Ekseption

by Danalia about Shoes and Fashion

Ok , the prices are far from being normal, and at the same price of shoes you can fly and stay for over 2 or 3 weeks in Madrid.
Me myself, I never shopped there, but I went in and out with a big "I Wish" .
So its beautiful, and stylish, and for whomever like to torture himself by doing "eye shopping" only its probably a perfect place :)

Comments