Carrera San Jeronimo 30-32, 5th floor, Madrid, Madrid, 28014, Spain

Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

• suvanki's Profile Photo

2* Clean comfortable Great location

I booked this place through WWW.Venere.com, and was very pleased with my stay. I'd certainly stay here again.

Remember that Hostals in Spain are usually a 2* establishment, not like Hostels, which are usually more basic, but usually an authentic accommodation experience.

From Sol metro it is about a 3 -5 minute walk to this property.

A lift takes you to the 5th floor, and into a pleasant lounge and reception area. The staff speak very little English, but are friendly and efficient.

The building itself dates back to the 1890's, and opened as a hostal in 1993

My room was at the back of the property, with a view of the building opposite. This wasn't a problem as I wasn't in my room for too long, and it was probably quieter than a street view.

I'd paid 96.30 euros ($153 / £76 ) for 2 nights single room with en-suite. Breakfast not included, but there are plenty of places to eat nearby.

Free internet access. 24 hour reception

My room (519) was spotlessly clean and more spacious than I'd expected.

Pleasantly furnished. Key card for door and electrics. I think all rooms are non- smoking.
    2 single beds, wardrobe (with security box - 1 euro coin, non-returnable, which was a bit of a nuisance as each time I wanted to get something out I had to put in another coin to lock it)

Writing desk, chairs, case stand, TV (had CNN for first day, but not able to receive later). Telephone, radio, Air Con
    Bathroom with small bath/ shower, WC, basin, hairdryer. Towels

Freebies- bath gel/shampoo- which smelt very nice, soap, comb, shower cap, shoe shine pad.

Eco friendly notices advising re-using towels, and to use shower in preference of bath.

There was some building work going on, but this didn't bother me too much, they didn't start until late in the morning. I'm not sure if they are expanding the Hostal or renovating rooms. I saw lots of floor tiles being taken up in the lift.

Coffee Vending machine - 50 cents for various coffees, hot chocolate or tea.

Also cans of soft drinks 1.50 euros, water 1 euro, beer 1.50 euros.

Unique Quality: Ideally located for the sights of Madrid.

Between Sol and Paseo del Prado.

The Madrid Vision tour bus stops nearby (Line 2 Stop 15 Las Cortes - opposite the Congreso de los Diputados, and near the Palace Hotel.

Metro Sol
    (Sevilla is 150 metres from the Hostal Astoria, but the station was closed at the time of my visit, presumably as part of the instillation of the new train line into Sol)

Directions: From Sol, C/Jeronimo is to the right of the Tio Pepe sign. Continue along here.

After a flamenco theatre you come to a jewellers shop, turn right into the passageway.
    Lift to the 5th floor.

Metro- Sol

(Seville was closed at my visit)

• pleasantly surprised

very clean, modern, great beds, not too hot, quiet..I real jewel. I would definately recommend this hotel...
    We were traveling with an infant and a 3yo, they did not have any cribs, we had booked
    double room which had two full size beds that we pushed together and made a family bed which worked fine. this hotel would be great if we were traveling without the kids.
    we paid 65-75 euros a night

Unique Quality: about 5 blocks from the Prado, the botanical gardens, the Museum Reina Sofia...a great hotel if you are going to Madrid to look at art.

Directions: near the Prado Museum

• vivalasteph's Profile Photo

Superior Value in Old Madrid

Located on the fifth floor in a building with four other hostals, this clean, friendly place is an excellent value. Just three short blocks from the Puerta del Sol, the location is fantastic, surrounded by little streets of shops and restaurants, as well as a few blocks from the Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen-Bornemisza.

Unique Quality: Friendly staff, very clean, and more amenities than expected. Color satellite TV, radio, full bathroom and closet, cosy salon, and internet access in lobby.

• Yso's Profile Photo

Cheap Hotel with Air-con

I didn't stay in this hotel, it was recommended by James - one of my classmates.

Its in a good spot - near Sol, and is rare in that it is a hotel and not a hostal. All the rooms have air-con.

Prices can also be negotiated

More about Astoria Hostal

Hostal Astoria

by DieterAlphonse

Has anyone stayed at Hostal Astoria? What is it a nice place?

by spongegr

the hotel astoria in vancouver is a dump in the scummy part of town
which hotel astoria are you thinking of?

Re: Re: Hostal Astoria

by spongegr

oh never mind

damn world forum

by quark2345

Hi
I've never been in this hostal, but it seems to be cheap, very very centric and nothing wrong appears to be in internet. In fact I was writing to you to show you where exactly is your hostal and how it is look: 1.- try "www.qdq.com" which is a full and enormous virtual guide of some spanish towns.
2.- Choose in the left square the town of "Madrid" and write under "nombre de la calle" (name of the street): "carrera de san jeronimo" and in the other square "numero" (number) write : "30". Now click "buscar" (search) and you will have a picture of the building and a map. The hostal seems to be in the 5th floor. If you click now the 1 to 6 squares you will get up to 6 different views of that building. But what is even better If you uses the arrows below the picture you will get different views of your hostal. Even more you can walk along the street and do as a virtual walk.
Regards

by quark2345

Sorry my last post, you have to enter with "fotos.qdq.com" and follow the instructions.
Bye

by eugene.uk

I fly down to Madrid quite often and almost invariably stay at the Astoria. It is exceptionally well located, just a few steps away from Puerta del Sol, the rooms are nice and clean, equipped television, safety box and private bathroom, and most importantly it is dirt-cheap, excellent value for money.
You can have a look and book on-line at
www.hostal-astoria.com

typo

by eugene.uk

'equipped television' should actually read ‘equipped with television'

Re: typo

by Maggies

I was just staying in Hotel Asturias (opposite your hostal) in the middle of Sept and I can assure you that the location is great. It's just really loud at night so if it bothers you, you have a problem. Lucky me, it doesn't bother me at all.
Enjoy the royal city!