Julian Camarillo 19-21, Madrid, Madrid, 28037, Spain

Monument to Alfonso XII, Madrid ES 1998Monument to Alfonso XII, Madrid ES 1998

Statue of Don Quixote and Sancho PanzaStatue of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza

night life and shopping

by adelatrue

I will be in Madrid from December 26 to 28 and January 2 to 4. I'm staying near Mueo El Prado. Any recommendations of a typical tapas bar or restaurants? Or a tapas bar with nice crowd? I'm meeting other people and they assigned me the tapas and bars. Also would like to buy a handbags and leather shoes. Any cheap shopping areas or stores?

by ElDesierto

I particularely liked the Casa Parrondo Restaurante and Sidreria in Madrid. I haven't been to the restaurant, but the sidreria is the tapas bar and it also has a nice, small restaurant in the back room. The restaurante and sidreria are across the street from each other. The address is: Trujillos, 4 y 9 (junto a la Plaza Descalzas), 28013 Madrid. Tel. 915-226-234 - 915-227-987. Calle de Trujillos is approximately 4 or 5 cuadras (blocks) from the Opera metro stop. I believe that the sign above the door to the sidreria reads: Luarca Sidreria. The Luarca Sidreria is on the west side of Calle de Trujillos, the Casa Parrondo Restaurante on the east side of Calle de Trujillos (the establishments are across the street from each other).

The food is excellent, the sangria was bountiful and the owner and waiters were good for many laughs.

Buen Viaje,
ElDesierto

by garridogal

Go to Taberna Alhambra. It's right in the area and is so much fun! You can find more info in one of the Nightlife tips in my Madrid page. Hope this helps!

by jayhawk2000

If you've not been before you will be absolutely astounded by the number of cafes, bars and restuaurants. Not to mention how late they stay open! Truly the food and drink capital of Europe.

Maybe try the Rastro on Sunday for your leather goods, though I'm not sure if that time of year it will be open. Street after street of stalls and tables, some of it junk, some of it stolen, but always something to catch your eye.

On our second visit a couple months ago we fell in love with a tapas place calle, Los Gatos, just a 2-minute walk from the Prado at Calle de Jesus 2 on your way towards the Huertas neighbourhood. The interior is a mind-boggling assortment of bullfighting memoribilia, cheeky murals, gilt mirrors, all sorts. It's a 'pick and point' place, everything is freshly made and waiting in glass cabinets on the bar, so no menu decoder required. Staff should greet you, find you a place to stand comfortably and keep your glass topped up as you eat. Very cheap too (except for the hand-sliced ham which was 18 euros for a huge plate of the most delicious ham we've ever had, with crackers and free generous top-ups of our beer).

Huertas attracts all the tourists, you'll see English menus everywhere and touts at the doors trying to entice you in. Carry on past Plaza Mayor and down Calle Cava Baja, dozens of eateries line the streets here, all full of locals. You cannot go wrong just meandering along, having a drink here, a bite to eat there, then falling into a smoke-filled flamenco place at 2am called La Solea at Cava Baja 34. WE LOVE MADRID!! And you will too.

by elpaseante

Hi,my name is javier, I need improve my english level for work, and in December I have the mornings free, if your native lenguage is english, then I can show to you Madrid city and of course a lot of tapas bar

by elpaseante

sorry, if you are interested on it my e-mail is elpaseante2009@hotmail.es

Travel Tips for Madrid

Using the phone - tips for North Americans

by Quartzy

If you're North American, you're used to a local call costing you a fixed price.
Well it doesn't work that way in Spain - you pay for the time you spend on the phone, whether it be in a booth or from a regular phone in a hotel. It's not crazy expensive, but do expect it.

Friends

by Lalique

Finally it happened! After all promises given in vain I did it, I came to Spain and got in real touch with VT celeb Joaquin (SirRichard) and my already good friend Pilar (pginer).
We had lunch (for me it was breakfast) at VIPS near Prado, which I had visited just before after almost sleepless night, still had that weird look on my face :)). However it wasn't the 1st time of meeting these two: Joaquin had welcomed us the night before and Pilar I had met a few days ago in Valencia

Barquillos

by Carmela71

At the Plaza Mayor, sit in any of the terraces, relax or try a 'barquillo' ... umm delicious ...

I have also seen these men at the Retiro Park.

My first memories about the barquillos are from Bilbao from Parque Maria Luisa, if I was a good girl, I used to get one (so I wonder why I did not had many lol). But when we used to go to Madrid, I always used to get one.

Not really 'Off the Beaten...

by MarkLA

Not really 'Off the Beaten Path' but a tip none the less. Try to visit at festival time. We were lucky enough the visit during San Isidro, when, in addition to lots of music and dancing, you will see many Madrillenos in their traditional casitzo costumes. San Isidro is May 8-15.

Chueca Barrio stores

by Danalia about Fashion

This neighbourhood, or barrio, is right in the centre of Madrid, just off Gran Vía. You can get there easily by Metro (Line 5, Chueca Metro station or simply walking from Gran Vía)
bars, coffee-houses, restaurants, design shops, clubs are also part of this colorful barrio.

Comments