Best Western Villa De Barajas

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 39% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Madrid

Yay!!!Yay!!!

My sister and niece on the train to LisbonMy sister and niece on the train to Lisbon

museo Reina Sofiamuseo Reina Sofia

One of La Latina's most popular spotsOne of La Latina's most popular spots

Photography in museums and churches

by BruceHunt

I am planning my first trip to Madrid and I understand that visitors are not allowed to take any photos inside the major museums ...Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen-Bornemisza....Is that correct ? Also, can you tell me if non-flash photos are allowed to be taken inside the Palicio Real , El Escorial and most churches and Cathedrals ( not during services, of course )?

thank you for any information you can give me,

bruce

by Redang

Palacio Real, El Escorial, forbidden, even wothout flash; other churches, normally allowed, but it depends on everyone

by marielexoteria

As of 2007, pictures with or without Flash were not allowed in Prado museum.

by hexelein

The last time I was in Spain I lived by the following rule: If it's inside, you can't take a picture of it. If you feel really strongly about taking a picture somewhere, ask politely at the info desk or somewhere official-looking (don't ask any random guards), but don't expect to get the permission.

I suppose this is a major problem for museums, churches etc, as I experienced some rather rude behaviour before I resigned myself to outdoors photography only.

by sirgaw

Confirming that most places in Madrid don't allow ANY photo's. Saw a few "smarty pants" tourists doing it anyway and with flash. We did however find that in Toledo most places allowed the use of cameras and, surprisingly, flash too. As others have said ask for permission and sometimes a polite request may be granted, otherwise shoot from the hip as everyone else seems to do. (I have a little camera pouch that goes onto my belt. Sadly it has a velcro opener and makes a lot of noise when I want to take a discrete photo - LOL)

FYI most places don't allow flash as the constant flashing of sharp light does make certain objects fade over time.

by BruceHunt

I want to thank everyone who took the time to reply. The photographic restrictions for interior shots seem to be even more widespread than I imagined. I never use flash inside museums, churches or public buildings and I hoped to find at least some places to take photos inside.....Though postcards are usually available, personal photos are way more specific for recording one's individual experience.
I appreciate the feedback.....At least I'll be more prepared for the disappointments, now.

:-) bruce

by hexelein

> At least I'll be more prepared for the disappointments, now.

Awww, now I'm feeling a bit guilty. How about you go to one of the tourist information offices first thing and ask them if they know any churches etc (somehow I think it might be easier to find churches where it's allowed or at least tolerated) where they will allow you to take pictures? There's one at Plaza Mayor 27, and they also have branches at the airport and the Chamartin (main train station). Or perhaps send them an email before you leave? Here's the URL: http://www.esmadrid.com/en/portal.do

Best of luck and hope you have a lovely time in Madrid! :D

by BruceHunt

Great suggestion....... Checking with a TI (Tourist Information) office..........I usually research quite a bit before traveling , and have my itinerary pre-planned, so I never even thought about seeking out a TI office.
thanks for the tip.

regards,
bruce

Travel Tips for Madrid

Madrid, capital de España....

by Juanjo

Madrid, capital de España. Ciudad cosmopolita dónde las haya. Combina la historia con el modernismo derivado de su capitalidad política y financiera. Madrid la noche. Creo que no existe ninguna ciudad del mundo que pueda aportar tanta 'marcha' cómo Madrid, con una oferta perfecta entre el arte culinario y su multitud de sitios de baile o para tomar copas.

How to rang the popularity of a bar

by alesorina

I was very surprised to find out that the normal, local bars are judged by the quantity of dirt on the ground. Right from the entrance you can see a big mountain of garbages. Apparently as dirty it is, the more popular it is. Here is no problem to spit on the round, through every can, or wrap you have on the ground. At the beginning it is strange, but after u forget the dirt, the papers, and just enjoy the people talks, they sure are loud and very jolly.
So if u ever arrive in Madrid don't let yourself be intimidate it, step in, coz u wont regret it :)

FERNANDO ALONSO's EXHIBITION

by Chus69

Date: May 11th, 2.003
Place: Paseo de la Castellana (Madrid)
After 20 years without the noise of the Formula One cars, Madrid could tremble with Renault Team for more than an hour.
Spanish new idol, Fernando Martin, took the best of his racing car and fill the street up with the feeling of velocity in the same centre of Madrid.
More than a hundred thousand people were waiting for him in a warm day, but even we couldn't see the exhibition as we wish, we did hear him...

Arquitectura en Metro/Architecture by Metro: L10

by Redang

There are dozens of emblematic buildings and monuments in Madrid, famous and less famous. I bring here the possibilty of seeing some of them linked to each other by metro.

* Metro: Chamartín
Name: Estación de Ferrocarril de Chamartín (Railway Station)
Address: Calle Agustín de Foxá, s/n
Architect: José Antonio Corrales and others,
Year: 1.972-1.976

* Metro: Plaza de Castilla (also lines 1 and 9) (2nd and 3rd pic)
Name: Puerta de Europa (also called Torres KIO)
Address: Plaza de Castilla
Architects: Philip Johnson and John Burgee
Year: 1.996

* Metro: Santiago Bernabeu
Name: Palacio de Exposiciones y Congresos
Address: Plaza de Joan Miró, 13
Architect: Pablo Pintado
Year: 1.964-1.970

and, due to you are there, Estadio Santiago Bernabeu.

* Metro: Príncipe Pío (also line 6 and Ramal Opera-Príncipe Pío) (main pic)
Name: Ermita de San Antonio de la Florida
Address: Glorieta de San Antonio de la Florida, s/n
Architect: Francisco Fontana
Year: 1.792-1.798

Name: Estación del Norte (also called Estación de Príncipe Pío) (pic)
Address: Paseo de la Florida, 2
Architect: Grasset, Biarez, Ouliac and Mercier
Year: 1.877-1.888

Name: Centro Comercial (Shopping Centre)
Address: It’s inside the station
Architect: Rafael Fernández del Amo, Manuel Pina e Idom
Year: 1.998-2.001

Important notices:
1. Some buildings or monuments are very close to the metro station and easy to be found whilst some others are a bit far and it's not so easy to get to them, you only have to look for the correct street or square.

2. The link shows the list of the stations of the different metro lines.

3. As I said before, there are many buildings/monuments, but I only bring here a few of them.

The biggest and most famous club in Madrid

by CLillard about Joy Eslava - Discoteca

This place is huge. We went pretty late at night, about 1 or 2 am. Hours open are daily from 23:30 to 5am . On Fridays and Saturdays they stay open until 6. Price is 12 Euros per person (however look for coupons around the city, on the ground perhaps or at a tourist spot). I remember the music being good too. I'm pretty sure that they do have a dress code. You can see what we wore in the picture and they let us in!

Comments