Burton

More about Madrid

Beautiful Apartment BuildingsBeautiful Apartment Buildings

Benlliure's statue of Álvaro de BazánBenlliure's statue of Álvaro de Bazán

Boutique Cartier on Calle de SerranoBoutique Cartier on Calle de Serrano

Convento de San Jerónimo el Real (Madrid, Spain)Convento de San Jerónimo el Real (Madrid, Spain)

Please recommend some good and cozy cafes (coffee/desserts)

by leoinv1

Hello!

I read that Madrid has a great coffee culture and would like to visit some nice cafes when I am in Madrid. Looking for traditional places with great coffee, desserts, etc. I will be staying in the center of the city (near Plaza Espana).

Any suggestions?

Gracias.

by Jefie

I would recommend "Cafe Comercial", at No. 7, Glorieta de Bilbao (Bilbao metro station). It's one of those cafes that's been around forever (well, since 1887 to be more precise) and it's sort of an institution in Madrid - it's known to be the sort of place where artists and writers hang out. Their chocolate con churros is the best one in Madrid!

by nomad7890

La Mallorquina, right under the Tio Pepe sign in Puerta del Sol (off Sol Metro).

by Belsaita

and to keep on real 'institutions' in Madrid, you should not miss San Gines for a comparative of chocolate con churros (which one chocolate is the 'best' in Madrid is an endless discussion)

by suvanki

Hi! On my first visit to Madrid I enjoyed coffee and pastries in La Mallorquina. Here they have been baking and serving delicious pastries, cakes and confectionary since 1894! It is located in the bustling Puerta del Sol, at the end opposite the Tio Pepe sign, with the Metro station steps in front of it.

I first visited on a Saturday afternoon, and it was full to bursting with locals - plenty of ladies of mature years, who were very deft with their elbows and hand bags! I admitted defeat and purchased a pastry to eat outside.
I returned on a Monday, to find it was still busy, but not as crowded. There are counters down each side of the downstairs room, filled with freshly baked sweet and savoury goodies, then places to order coffee to go with your pastry. There is a saloon upstairs, but I've not ventured this far.

Another traditional place that I enjoyed was Casa del Abuelo on C/ Victoria which is near Sol- This isn't a cafe or coffee place, but I enjoyed it so much, I thought that I'd share!

Casa del Abuelo translates as Grandfathers House. It was established in 1906, and is still run by the family members.

It is quite a small bar, with standing room only.(crunching over discarded prawn shells, as is it's tradition in Spanish to throw these on the floor along with paper napkins).Prawns al ajillo -(in olive oil and garlic) or a la plancha- fried or grilled in their shells, or alla gabardino (battered and sprinkled with salt), langoustines and prawn croquettes are the only items on sale, but they are of high quality and reasonably priced.

Sweet wine from Alicante is a speciality of this bar too.
www.lacasaalbuelo.es

Due to the popularity of this place, 2 other premises have opened 1 in C/Goya 57, 28001, and the other on C/Nunez de Arce 5, 28012

If you check out my Madrid Restaurant pages, you'll find more pics and tips about these places and others that I've tried.
Best Wishes,
Sue

Travel Tips for Madrid

Internet cafes

by HORSCHECK

Madrid has plenty of Internet cafes, especially in the touristic centre around Puerta del Sol and along Gran Via.
I often went to the easyInternetCafe at Calle de la Montera near Puerta del Sol. Depending on the daytime they charge between 0,80 and 2,00 EURO per hour. You purchase a credit number at a machine. Then you are able to log on at any PC as often as you like until the credit is exceeded.

Roscon de Reyes

by zumodemango

In Spain children get their Christmas present on the 6th of January. These are given by the Reyes Magos(the three kings who gave presents to the baby Christ). Children leave turron and cava for the Reyes and the camels!!!!!All that day we eat Roscon de Reyes, a cake (see the picture) which has a surprise inside. The typical are withouth cream, but lately there are different styles of the traditional.

Las Rozas

by b1bob

After meeting a few nights earlier, on Thursday 12 July 1990, Sergio invited me to his house in Las Rozas. I didn't figure on it being such an upscale suburb because Sergio never acted like what one would expect of a rich guy. I met his family and saw their house. It is a very nice house, so much so, I felt out of place. After lunch, Sergio and I took a dip in the pool in the heat (113°F, 45°C) of the day. Don't worry, folks, it was a dry heat. There is a picture of me in the pool, but I wouldn't want to scare y'all too badly.

WALKINMG A LOT YOU CAN EASILY BUY THESE SWEETIES.

by eden_teuling about CAN'T REMEMBER.....

As you can see this shop sells the most delicate, sweet exquisities.........and yes, it is a BIF EASTER EGG in the middle of the display....it was around Easter that I was there before we travelled to BARCELONA (SEE BARCELONA PAGE) by night train and I swear I slept each kilometer of the 700 kms.!!

But back to this shop: I bought some very yummie yum things.......so follow my example and do the same.... Temptations is all around you........so surrender, is my advice! pay for what you bought, is also my wise advice....

café de Oriente

by ger4444

This cafe has a great view at the palace royal. from behind the windows inside or at the pavement terras you sit comfortably. have a cafe solo and pastry or tapas. The cafe is old fashioned style and on theaterperformances in the nearby theater you find the audience gathering there in their fancy clothes. tie/casual

Comments