De Las Letras Hotel

Hotel de las Letras
Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about De Las Letras Hotel

Hotel De Las Letras Lived it, Loved it!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member emmie_2006

If you are staying in Madrid then you must choose Hotel De Las Letras for your stay. It has an excellent restaurant and bar lounge which is opened to the public and adds to the ambience. Unfortunately the spa area of the hotel wasn't available but I'm sure if it had it would have been an excellent experience. The rooms are beautifully designed have a mini bar, tv and cd player which came in very handy. The only complaint for the ladies is that because of the low level lighting in the bathroom you cannot see how much makeup you have applied and consequently end up looking like a clown. A previous review had mentioned that the reception staff were unfriendly we didn't find that to be the case at all. On arrival they were very friendly and gave us a local map to get around and also pointed out places to try. So all in all this hotel musn't be overlooked if you want a central (located on Gran Via), enjoyable place to stay!!

Charming hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Lifestyletraveler

De Las Letras is a beautiful and charming hotel. I stayed in a superior room which was large with two sinks, separate shower and bath, sitting area and work desk. It also had a glassed balcony facing the Gran Via Street, but noise was effectively kept out. The interior design is typically Spanish and no thrill but colorful and comfortable. Service at front desk was poor and slow. Breakfast service was very efficient and courteous. The buffet breakfast was above average and I enjoyed it very much. It had a big classy selection. The most wonderful thing that the hotel did was to surprise me after a long day out on the town with a perfectly shaken cocktail served in my room. It knocked on the door and a waitress presented a tray with a thermos holding the most lovely cocktail. I will never forget this.

I also saw a few other room types, standard room and room with terrace and jacuzzi. If I stayed again I would most definitely go for a terrace room with jacuzzi. The value for money is pretty good even for those room types.

Pros
+ Drink served in room
+ very good breakfast buffet

Cons
- poor service at front desk

Barrio de las Letras (The Letters Disrict)

by Redang

It is also called Barrio de los Literatos o de las Musas (Writers or Muses District) or District of the Arts. Why this name?, because many important spanish writers (Cervantes, Lope de Vega, Quevedo or Góngora) established their residency here.

The area is within the following streets (calles) and squares (plazas): Calle Atocha, calle San Sebastián, plaza del Angel, calle del Prado, plaza de las Cortes, calle Duque de Medinaceli, plaza Jesús, calle Jesús, calle Huertas and paseo del Prado.

There are guided tours from Plaza Mayor, 27 (Madrid Tourism Centre). Check the website.

Another website:
- es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrio_de_las_Letras (Spanish)

Barrio de las Letras

by Jefie

Calle de las Huertas runs through the middle of this small neighborhood whose name clearly refers to its literary past. As early as the 16th century, this area became associated with literature and theatre as many authors - including Cervantes and Lope de Vega - and actors took up residence it the little streets of the Barrio de las Letras. Along with the artists came numerous brothels and dubious waterholes, and although the area is now perfectly safe, it has retained much of its party atmosphere. The used and rare bookstores that are open during the day give way to tapas bars and nightclubs in the evening, and the fiesta usually goes on all through the night, with people bar hopping and mingling in the streets. If you want to experience a somewhat surreal atmosphere, try walking in the area at 8:00 am on a Saturday morning!

Barrio de las Letras

by markeveleigh

This is the ‘Quarter of Letters’ and many of the bars here were known to such Spanish greats as Cervantes and Lope de Vega and, more recently, to turistas like Hemingway and Orwell. A pilgrimage around the neighbourhood bars will be filled with a collage of images for your mental scrapbook: marbled hams hanging from timber beams; glassy-eyed bulls heads; an old-time organ clanking loudly where a jukebox should be; the heady scent of cigar-smoke and olive-oil…

Fantastic...!

by TripAdvisor Member kia17

If you are going to Madrid, De las Letras must be the the perfect choice.
Fantastic atmosphere, clean, perfect locacion . Nice comfortable designed rooms. Very serviceminded staff. Delicious breakfeast and a trendy crowded bar.
Thank you so much My best recomendation and I will be back!

such a lovely place!

by TripAdvisor Member serandreica'pisani

I was again at 'de las letras' last week for a business trip (my first time ws last august when it was just opened) and must say that it is a great place to stay in madrid. it is on the gran via, in a very central area and conveniently located for those who like to have a nice run in the nearby park.

the room was comfortable and very clean, the staff incredibly helpful and friendly, breakfast absolutely amazing. in the evening, the first night going back to my room I found a flower on the bed, the second a box containing a cute teddy bear, the last one a big candy...which really gives the idea of how accurate and attentive is the service there! wi-fi in the rooms, but if you do not have your own computer, the chance to use one of the two laptops downstairs in the library (for free). I work in the hotel business and not even I will use 'de las letras' again, but I will recommend it to all people who will ask for a suggestion.

What a Treat!

by TripAdvisor Member Tita1975

My husband and I just returned from a great stay at De Las Letras Hotel. We got a room with a balcony and a jacuzzi! The room was modern, spacios (a treat when in Europe) and had an amazing bathroom (again spacious!). This a hotel I would recommend to anyone. I was thinking of staying at the Intercontinental, I didn't want to risk it in Europe, however this hotel surpassed all expectations. I think it's one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at, the staff is very amicable, not uptight, the breakfast has great variety to it, there's even a gym (which I didn't get to see) but in case you need it. The restaurant is full of fashionable people, good for people watching! Overall, don't think about it twice, it's a great experience.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member daisyuk

I took my daughter to Madrid for the weekend for her 21st birthday, we booked a standard room for her and the next grade for us. I was impressed with my daughter's room and was a bit disappointed with mine as it only seemed to be a bit bigger, then I opened the curtains and jumped with joy. There in front of me was a huge wooden terrace with a sunken jacuzzi., it was fantastic. One thing that amazed me is that although the road below was very busy you could not hear this in our room.

We had breakfast included, which consisted of, fresh fruit, cereals, cold meats, pastries, egg, bacon and sausages. We booked directly with the hotel as we found that they gave us the best rate.

The only thing I found was that the bed was a bit hard for my liking and that we didn't have any information about the hotel in our room, with breakfast times in, check out times and all that sort of thing. The staff on the desk were extremely helpful.

A separate issue is I would not recommend eating in the hotel restaurant, there are plenty of places near by. Our meal was very disappointing. They brought us bread which we did not ask for and therefore presumed it was complimentary. They charged us for 4 lots of bread which upset me as I am a coeliac and cannot eat bread.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member spqsydney

Stayed here last week. I have stayed before at the 5* Westin Hotel Palace but it has now priced itself beyond my company travel budget so I checked Trip Advisor and this was #1 in Madrid. As usual, Tripadvisor was bang on the money - this hotel was just awesome.

I could afford to upgrade and still be within my company travel policy so I paid Euro 194 for a beautiful room (room 610) which had a magnificent view of the Gran Via, was really large, had a great bathroom plus broadband included. All and all it was perfect. I find the service in Spain to be fairly indifferent but this hotel had consistently the nicest service I have in that country.

The only thing it doesn't have is a big lobby so if this is important, stay somewhere else.

The location on the Gran Via was excellent, right next to the trendy Chueca district and 10 minutes walk to all the sights and 2 minutes to the Gran Via metro station.

The hotel is funky and the cool restaurant and room service menu reflect this - I had beautiful raspberry gazpacho and caramelized apple and goats cheese salad and the prices were reasonable for room service - certainly a lot cheaper than the Westin Palace.

All in all this hotel is a great deal and I would choose to stay here over the Westin Palace, even if I could afford to stay at that hotel (which was also a very nice hotel). Thank you Tripadvisor for the great recommendation!

Barrio de las Letras gearing up for the eveningBarrio de las Letras gearing up for the evening

Madrid City Hall, SpainMadrid City Hall, Spain

International House Language School in MadridInternational House Language School in Madrid

Edificio Metrópolis (Madrid, Spain)Edificio Metrópolis (Madrid, Spain)

hotel decision

by jeannied

I am trying to decide between the following choices...Hotel Urba, Roomate Alicia and Hotel De Las Letras????? comments

by puerto_lover

It is highly unlikely that any VT member has experienced all 3 hotels so it could be difficult to receive a comparison comment. In these case where choices have to be made it is always useful to look at the actual reviews made by peiopel who have stayed in the hotels and read the comments on Trip Advisor.

by Roadquill

VT is not really set up to search the VT data base. You need to google tripadvisor and the hotel name. For example, Las Letras on Gran Via has an excellent user opinion. ( http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187514-d498185-Reviews-Hotel_de_las_Letras-Madrid.html ) Price, location, and quality reviews, ... Gran Via is a good street to stay on, however, a few blocks North of Gran Via and there is some drug dealers and prostitutes. Good luck.

by Ritchie_Lionheart

I agree with Puerto Lover. Madrid has hundreds of hotels and pensiones and it is unlikely that you will find anybody with experience in all 3 of your selected places. Better ask: Can anybody recommend a hotel in Madrid at (cost) with (amenities) located in (district)?

by nomad7890

I would also check with TripAdvisor - should have a review on each of the three you mentioned.

by worldinabag

Hi

Haven't heard of the Urba. Do you mean the Hotel Urban - http://www.hotelurban.com.

Short time in madrid - What not to miss and best Bars

by Sharon

Hola,

Would appreciate any help regarding what not to miss
in Madrid a in a stay of 2-3 days as well as which are
the best bars and salsa clubs.

Sharon.

by Redang

Regarding the places: Puerta del Sol, Plaza mayor, Royal Palace and area (Plaza de Oriente, Cathedral), Plaza de Cibeles, Retiro Park, the museums (Prado, Thyssen and Reina Sofía), Madrid de los Austrias, Barro de las Letras, Gran Vía, Plaza de España (and monument of Cervantes)...

Regarding salsa, sorry, I can't help.

by Sharon

Thanks a lot for your help.

S.

by marielexoteria

Where is Barrio de las Letras?

by Redang

The area around calle Huertas.

by marielexoteria

Sorry, I still don't know where ;)

by ger4444

Cerveceria Alemana: an old fashioned beerhouse where famous celebrities like frank sinatra have been served in the past. Marble topped tables, dark walls. the waiters look old fashioned. Address: plaza santa ana

Places to stay

by gr8irina

Hello all,
we are planning a trip to Madrid and Barcelona. What are good areas to stay in both those cities? We are a couple in our mid to late twenties and like lively neighborhoods (i.e.latin quarter in Paris).
Thanks in advance

RE: RE: Places to stay

by rexvaughan

We love the Hotel Europa in Madrid. It is right on the Puerta del Sol, is a nice and reasonably priced place and certainly in the middle of the action. Their website is: http://www.hoteleuropa.es/index.spanish.html

by Revulgo

In Madrid: plaza de Santa Ana area (aka Barrio de las Letras)

by virtualpatrick

Out of the 3 times I've visited Madrid, I've always ended up staying around the Plaza Santa Ana area (5 minutes from Sol). Lots of bars and restaurants in the area and I like the idea of walking home to the hotel in a short period of time.

by dream916

In Madrid, the area near Sol is very lively and vibrant especially Plaza Santa Anna. Or you may want to stay along Gran Via (Shopping street with beatiful building).

You may wanna stay near Placa Catalunya in Barcelona. The location is central and you can walk every where.

by jose_4586