Diana Plus Hotel

AMOMA.com

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Madrid

ISS tapas receptionISS tapas reception

Marta likes her seafood.Marta likes her seafood.

Museo del PradoMuseo del Prado

somewhat strange decosomewhat strange deco

Madrid at Christmas

by ctamborra

We will be visiting Spain at Christmas time. We are flying into Madrid on the 24th December and have to check into our resort in Marbella on the 25th. Should we stay in Madrid or travel down to the coast. Will gas stations be open on the 25th. Any advice would be helpful. I'm thinking to stay in Madrid on the 24 and then drive on the 25th.

Re: Madrid at Christmas

by cgf

for sure you'll find 24h self-service

Re: Madrid at Christmas

by ctamborra

Thanks for reply how about on the 25th. Also will Restaurants be open on 24th and a nice church/cathedral for midnight mass. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Plus activities for children age 13 and 11 both speak spanish, parents don't.

Travel Tips for Madrid

Parques, jardines y plazas

by andal13

Madrid is a beautiful city, and it has a lot of parks, gardens and squares... It's a pleasure visit them and enjoy the architecure, the fountains, the trees...

(More pictures in the travelogues.)

Madrid es una hermosa ciudad, y tiene una gran cantidad de parques, jardines y plazas... Es un placer visitarlos , y disfrutar la arquitectura, las fuentes, los árboles....

(Más fotos en los travelogues)

the post office

by anne_h

On my travels I sampled the post office services of Italy, France, and Spain, because I wanted to send stuff home. In Italy it was a nightmare. I should have just gone to Mailboxes Etc. or someplace like that to send my packages with a private company, but I wanted to save some money. The first time I went to the post office, they said I didn't have my boxes wrapped right--you need special paper and twine. The second time, I went to a different post office, but they didn't accept packages! Finally my roommate and her boyfriend said they would send them for me after I left (her boyfriend was Italian and understood all the rules). After all that it wasn't even that much cheaper than sending it via DHL or something.

What a contrast to Paris and Rome! In both countries the workers at the post office were very friendly and helpful. I could buy boxes there and there was a minimum of paperwork. And it wasn't that expensive either.

So I guess the moral of the story is if you want to send stuff home via the post office, wait until you get to France or Spain!

Drifting with the Crowds

by poniente

The best way to see Madrid is to start out in the Puerta del Sol, and just let the crowds determine where you end up. This is the Heart of Madrid. The first time I came here I decided not to seek out even one famous tourist atraction. I ended up at all the famous places, the Prado, the Retiro, Atocha, Charmartin, la Cibeles, etc. but without knowing it. Instead of buying a tourist guide the first day to find out where to go, I bought a tourist guide the morning I left and found out all the places I had been. From El Sol everything in Madrid is within walking distance. I fell so much in love with this city that I let my return ticket expire and stayed on for 4 months, sleeping on a park bench and ending up teaching English to a family of 5 in exchange for room and board. Best experience of my life.

sausages and ham

by ger4444

There are many small butcher shops in Madrid. one of them is located at the Calle del Arenal where you find a large offer of all sorts of sausages. Jamon Serrano. its a raw ham that you can eat as tapa's. Or: Iberico ham, taken from a wild living pig. Many sausages are spiced with paprica powder, which is called chorizo. A very delicate sausage which you should taste is called salchichon.

Madrid will have its very own "notte Bianca"

by venteeocho about Museums

The capital is planning a night during which museums, theatres and galleries will remain open, just as in Paris and Rome

TheNoche blanca, is an idea that was born in Paris in 2002. It combines fun with culture, and it is about to take shape in Madrid. The good results obtained in the cities where this program was carried out has encouraged Madrid's municipal authorities to implement it here.

Night life at the capital of Italy experienced a real revolution when two million people unwilling to sleep crowded the streets of downtown Rome. It was on their account that all museums, art galleries, movie theaters and theaters stayed open all night long, and tens of free open-air concerts were organized.

This feverish and unusual activity is part of what is known as the notte bianca (white night), a cultural event that celebrates this year its second edition in Rome and will be arriving in Madrid next summer. The initiative began in Paris in 2002, when Mayor Bertrand Delanoë came up with the idea of spending a sleepless night devoted to enjoying the city and its cultural life. Although the particulars of this event are yet to be defined, the most important museums in the city are expected to participate in the initiative, ranging from the triangle comprised of the Prado Museum, Reina Sofía and Thyssen-Bornemisza to the City Council’s exhibit halls and the main theatres. Numerous free concerts will be held in the city parks. For twelve hours, the city will become a hive of movement and activities that will evidence the capital’s cultural diversity and intensity. For one night this upcoming summer the “movida madrileña” (Madrid scene) will be much more than going out for “tapas” (snacks).

Comments