Emperador Hotel

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Quality hotel with a pool on Gran Via

OK, so my room was small, and it faced West so I was hit with the late afternoon sun. But after a day at the Prado, the roof top pool was a welcome relief. Staff was helpful, but not as knowledgable as I would expect.

Unique Quality: The pool and the view from the roof was killer. The down side is that the pool and roof is only open at 11 AM. I would have liked to exercise a bit or do some yoga early in the morning, but nnnoooooo, the roof access was locked.

• NorwegianCouple's Profile Photo

A four stars hotel with zero star service

I informed the hotel when I booked and also in a reminder mail before we went, that the stay was as celebrating for my husbands 50th birthday. It’s quite common that hotels do their best to make some surprise like a bottle of wine on the room on such days. On this hotel however, nothing was done for him!

They did not treat their customers as guests at all. And everything was done to get paid for. After travelling a lot both in Spain and other countries, I can hardly remember a hotel where you have to pay for using the Internet (the last years). I don’t mean wireless on the room, but at a PC in the common area.

In our package entrance to a club with free snacks and drinks was included. We were guided by the staff about where the breakfast was and so on, but not a word about the club. We had to find it ourselves. This was obviously a policy to avoid guests going there. We talked to some other guests and they had the same impression
    The 8th of May, when I thought they would give some extra service, the club was even closed, for some arrangement. It means we paid for a service that they were not able to give us. And all they did to make up for it was, after we asked for it, one drink in the lobby bar. And they were so afraid of extra costs, that we were not allowed to drink something else than was in the club – What a guest treatment!!! - The day after we went to the club, and then we had to ask for filling up the gin and waiting for that! And after that we had to do the same for the tonic water.

We informed the staff during the stay that we were disappointed, but they did not care. Afterwards we wrote them a mail, and they didn’t response to it!

A hotel to stay away from!

Unique Quality: They have a nice pool at the roof, but it can't make up for the bad service level

• erikgrav's Profile Photo

Once upon a time

It was easy to see, that the hotel had a touch of class. But it was also anly too clear, that it must have been a few years ago, that this hotel had it's prime.

Both furniture, and other facilities were worn down. A pity.

We had a few incidents with not too good service, but that might have been poor luck.

Unique Quality: We had been recommended the hotel if for no ther reason then the magnificent view from the roof top pool.

Unfortunately the roof top area were closed when we tried to access it, and when we asked if we could have access just for photografing, we were told, that it was closed and that it would open in the summer. Our stay was in mid March - too bad!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Very nice place!

Great place in a very central location on the Gran Via just off Plaza Espana. There is a metro stop just out the door and the Plazade sol and Plaza Mayor are within easy walking distance.

• jwilliams2005's Profile Photo

Great location, wonderful views

he Emperador is a deluxe hotel located in the heart of Madrid. The Hotel Emperador combines the elegance and comfort of a classical hotel together with the newest amenities of a four stars hotel in the heart of Madrid. Located in Gran Vía, you will be able to walk to the historic center of Madrid, as well as having easy access to trains and the metro.

Unique Quality: The view from the rooftop pool was fantastic. I also really enjoyed the sauna and the service was impecable.

Directions: Near Plaza Real, Plaza Armeria and Plaza de Espana

More about Emperador Hotel

Dee & Stevie's review!!

My boyfriend and I spent New Year at Emperador Madrid. The location right in the centre of town and within walking distance to the Palace, Retiro Park, shops and monuments. The front entrance of the hotel is great was lovely and very grand looking. The room had a bit to be desired decoratively but, it was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable so we are not going to complain. For sure we both agreed that the room could do with a bit of updating but I did like the carpet I have to say! I would definitely recommend this hotel in Madrid as for a 1st timer visiting as it is in an excellent location to all the local amenities and places of interest including the Metro and Starbucks if you fancy that sort of thing!! The staff were wonderful, very professional, polite and very welcoming! We loved the Vino Blanco y cerveza very much in the bar and had a good few pre drinks before a night out! The breakfast was very tasty, Continental and plentiful! I felt quite sad to leave the hotel and the city we certainly got quite attached to the decoration and our room…one of our New Year’s resolutions is to learn Spanish as it is somewhere we both would really like to live for more than a couple of weeks!

Rooms are nice, service horrible

The Hotel Emperador rooms were fantastic - we saw 3 of them because we kept switching rooms until the one we originally requested at the time of reservation became available (1 large bed with a view of the Grand Via on a high floor). They are spacious, clean with 4 star quality bathrooms. The breakfast was also decent. However, the staff was completely incompetent and unprofessional. There were a number of requests we made and they met none (dinner reservations, help with finding numbers Madrid, moving our luggage from one room to another, etc. We had bathrobes in our first room and they refused to give us bathrobes in the second room saying that bathrobes don't come with the second room, even though I was paying the same price. Since I still had the first room key, I went to get them myself.). Furthermore, it is NOT the chic hotel people say it is. The pool was closed so that may be the chic part. A number of business men (at a Novartis meeting in the hotel), old ladies, and families with kids were staying there in October. I would stay elsewhere next time.

Four star more like 2 star if you are lucky

by TripAdvisor Member mrskahuna

After emailing the hotel based on all the reviews I saw on this site, I got exactly what I didnt want. Upon arrival, the offered me a room on the first floor facing the street. The Gran Via is very noisy let alone busy. So I refused that room and reminded them that I asked for a room on an upper floor that was quiet. The desk staff on the day shift was less than helpful and rather curt and rude. I speak spanish but that wasnt even helpful either. After a long banter, I finally got a room on the 9th floor facing an air shaft with a rather merky odor. I was told that either I took that room as there none other or check out and find another hotel. Well, I would have done that had my other friends not have arrived the day before and were unpacked and in their room on the second floor. I decided I would live with it as I was there with my 15 yr old son who really didnt need the Ritz. To my surprise for a four star hotel there were no facial tissues or extra toliet tissue in the room. Unfortunately for me I didnt know it and used the facilities. I had to call the front desk from the bathroom and ask that they send up toliet tissue. They asked if I could make it to the door to accept the tissue and said that my son would. Needless to say we were both laughing but I was rather upset to say the least. I asked for wash cloths from the first day we arrived but never recieved one and we asked for extra pillows and never got those either. The heat was rather difficult to maintain and you either froze or were smothering.

The positive side of this trip was that I never needed to hail a cab or use the subway system because the hotel was very well located.

Would I stay here again, a resounding no. Would I recommend it...well if you want a great location with poor service and rooms with chipping paint...sure.

Good value, great location

by TripAdvisor Member mibo888

We stayed at the Emperador for 1 week last summer. The first night we had a very small room with in the middle of hotel. Even though we had booked a room with a queen, the room had two singles. Furthermore it opened to a dark dirty interior court. Only positive was it was very quiet. Upon complaining (the staff was very helpful!) we got a very nice, big room with a queen bed the next day. While the room was a bit noisy, since it opened to the Gran Via, the size made more than up for it. We are talking family size room, with nice big bath. My advice is to go for the rooms that open to the Gran Via - unless you are a light sleeper! The size is well worth it.

The Emperador is located right in the middle on the Gran Via. You can get to a lot of attractions on foot, one of the hop-on-hop-off tour bus lines (I think it was the green) has a stop pretty much in front of the hotel. And in the afternoon, when it got really hot, the hotel had a great pool on the roof for us to relax. Note that if you get there too late most/all of the deckchairs might be gone!

Overall a great value, right in the city - and staff was very helpful!

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member Satisfied1

We stayed in this hotel in March 2004 and could not fault it. I am surprised to see the previous comments and felt I had to add mine. We had a club emperador room which was large with a seating area and fantastic bathroom. The smellies were all Hermes gorgeous. Whilst the room was at the front it was not noisy. We had access to the emperador lounge which was well worth it with a free bar to relax in at the end of the day and a seperate restaurant for breakfast although I have to say that the breakfasts in the main restuarant were superb. The staff were always polite and helpful. I cannot recommend this hotel enough and would definately go back.

Comments